Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Starwars

Old November 17th, 2009, 9:14 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: Starwars

Han Solo was way too cool to just say "I love you too"

He couldn't appear soppy or romantic in front of all those villains at Cloud City. He had a rep to maintain.

Old November 17th, 2009, 10:40 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
About the famous 'I know', I think it's one of those phrases that define a character: prisoner of the bad guys, a second before being frozen and probably killed... and he can't help being cocky and cheeky: that's Han Solo.
It's sad that Han's character was effectively neutered as the series progressed. When we first see him he is a ruthless drug smuggler working for one of the galaxy's most notorious crime families. (Which is why he shot Greedo in cold blood under the table.)

In the EU was also a former Imperial officer.

Wookieepedia.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:41 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Han's character reached its peak under Kershner in ESB

Once Lucas had more power on ROTJ with Marquand as director, Han was marginalised along with Princess Leia.

Old November 17th, 2009, 11:36 pm
Seventh Year

I just came across (WARNING: PDF) this interesting piece of Star Wars criticism. It contrasts Star Wars with Star Trek, and although the writer breaks Godwin's Law several times, I think he makes some good points.

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:11 am
Second Year

Well, as always, my opinion is not an opinion of an expert, just experience.

I think I like the newest trilogy more than the old one.

And I still wonder why, but I guess I have the explanation.
I was someone who lived the moment.

The 80s movies, well, the first Star Wars is 1977´s, I know, but it s like an 80s movie, fantasy 80s movies scared me a lot!!

Well, Star Wars was the first movie I saw on cinemas, I was just too young and got very bored, and didn´t like it.

Then I saw all the movies, the second the third, I really can not say if I saw them all in cinemas I don´t remember

But I for sure saw them all on Betamax
Those movies were SCARY to me.

But I like them they are part of my childhood :

But the new trilogy has the new FX, new actors I like and I was an adult when I saw them all in cinemas.

It might be that.

Old December 9th, 2009, 6:29 pm
Third Year

I have seen every star wars movie, and I really like them... I like the new ones better but I would never want that they would remake the old ones. it would distroy the magic from the movies. I watched a couple of weeks ago the movies and they are one of my favourite movie series...

Old October 31st, 2012, 2:08 am
Seventh Year

Remember the Star Wars movies? You want more of them? Well, you're gonna get more of them: The Walt Disney Company has not only acquired Lucasfilm, but will be pushing ahead with Star Wars Episode VII.

*sigh*

1) I've never believed the "Lucas always wanted to do Episodes VII, VIII, and IX" business.

2) I've never wanted to see Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

3) Star Wars the film series is, for me, the story of Anakin Skywalker - or the Skywalker family extending through Luke and Leia. It's a single story told in six parts. That wasn't the intent from the beginning, but the prequels reshaped the story into that. I've never wanted to see other filmmakers take Star Wars on film into different directions. Star Wars on the big screen is that story of Anakin Skywalker's rise, fall, and redemption. I'm all for the expanded universe (and I'd love to see that live action TV show finally happen and play around in this universe more that way), but I've never really wanted the film franchise to keep going.

What was once a snarky joke is becoming closer to the truth: The human race will eventually be a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. Still, this shocked me.

But not as much as the announcement - dropped in the middle of a large press release as if it was incidental - of Episode VII. And not only Episode VII - Episode VII in 2015!

THAT'S BAD. That is major cause for worry. Unless they (whoever "they" are exactly - I doubt it's Lucas) have had a story for Episode VII (and possibly beyond) for years, this is insanely rushed. Two and a half years away, and I'm supposed to think of this as good news? Sure, large productions sometimes happen faster than you'd think - Matthew Vaughn came onboard and completed X-Men: First Class within a year - but this is shocking.

None of this is good news to me. If I'm in the minority in these worries - and it's seemed I'm in the minority in not wanting the Star Wars film franchise to continue beyond Lucas - then that's great. I hope people enjoy it. I don't know that I'll bother.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; October 31st, 2012 at 4:03 am.
Old October 31st, 2012, 3:29 am
Hogwarts Graduate

maybe the movies will be better if George Lucas isn't the one writing them

He's absolutely amazing at the big ideas for a story, but not the best at actually writing them...

Old October 31st, 2012, 5:23 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I actually just heard about this and I'm not particularly for it. I personally think they should leave the movies how they are and not continue with more episodes. How are they going to continue the story? I just don't think it's such a great idea.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old October 31st, 2012, 8:48 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

They know they'll rake in the money regardless of quality or continuance or whatever. Geekiness has long been mainstream now.

Old October 31st, 2012, 9:10 am

I can live with it. As far back as the first movies there was talk of three trilogies. I'm even cautiously hopeful given that Lucas has said his involvement will be advisory. And if it stinks I don't have to see it.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old October 31st, 2012, 5:02 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
The Walt Disney Company has not only acquired Lucasfilm, but will be pushing ahead with Star Wars Episode VII.
Saddened by this news. The only good part about episodes I, II and III for me was they put Ewan McGregor into my teenage consciousness. Other than that they sucked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet_Master View Post
But the new trilogy has the new FX, new actors I like and I was an adult when I saw them all in cinemas.
But episodes IV, V and VI had iconic characters that the prequel series didn't have for me. Yeah, they had new special FX but that didn't make up for the lack of quality writing and strong characters for me. Han, Luke and Leia are iconic and as far as the Star Wars series goes it doesn't get any better than them for me. (And I'm in my late twenties, I never saw the originals in theaters (until they were rereleased with the digital upgrades or whatever they did) I just grew up watching them on video at home)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
The human race will eventually be a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company.
Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
How are they going to continue the story?
They might take a riff off the EU books or Lucas might be involved in setting the stories on the "right" direction and then hand the actual writing off to someone else. (Hopefully.)

Old October 31st, 2012, 5:11 pm
Sixth Year

I'm pretty excited to see what new writers and directors make of them.

The most obvious reason why is that Lucas cracked a long while back and the best Star Wars film (Empire) is shockingly enough the one that he had the least to do with. It is also the one that he believes is the worst of all 6 btw.

Besides, Disney really can't do worse than Episode I and II.

i'm in slytherin!
Old October 31st, 2012, 5:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
They know they'll rake in the money regardless of quality or continuance or whatever. Geekiness has long been mainstream now.
Star Wars has always been mainstream. It certainly has its geeky fandom but has always been firmly in the mainstream. In some cities the initial theatrical run was longer than a year and it received 10 Oscar nominations including best picture.

Last edited by Wab; October 31st, 2012 at 5:30 pm.
Old January 15th, 2013, 4:27 pm

If you've ever wondered how to introduce someone (especially a young 'un) to Star Wars and whether you should show them in release order or chronological order, here's one alternative, do neither.

Instead, show them thusly:

Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi.

SMHBasically you have the original trilogy with a big two-film flashback at the cliffhanger at the end of Empire. And no Phantom Menace at all...

What's more, you lose all the things that you hated about the prequels. Endless political manoeuvring between the Trade Federation and the Galactic Senate? Gone. Podracing? Gone. Jar Jar Binks? Gone. Midichlorians? The whole Gungans-vs-the-Naboo nonsense? Jake Lloyd as the adorable tow-headed “yippee!”-shrieking Anakin Skywalker? Wonderfully, magnificently gone. You do lose some stuff you liked – Darth Maul was a triumph of set design, if barely a character, but it's a small sacrifice for a world in which Jar Jar gets about 20 seconds of total screen time in the whole epic story. One well timed sneeze and he's not there at all.

The Right Way to Watch Star Wars

Warning: The article's language is not entirely FF.

Old January 25th, 2013, 2:30 am

Appears J.J. Abrams will helm the next movie.

http://www.salon.com/2013/01/24/j_j_...ar_wars_movie/

Old January 25th, 2013, 3:24 pm
Rocket Scientist

yea I'm kind of excited and scared all at once about the announcement. I love JJ Abrams and I think he has a great feel for sci fi, but I think he has a lot on his plate with Star Trek and it could be a mistake to have the same person directing both.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old January 25th, 2013, 3:26 pm

I'd kind of like to hear Shatner say "May the force...be with you."

Old January 25th, 2013, 8:06 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
I'd kind of like to hear Shatner say "May the force...be with you."
I think I'm good without ever hearing that!

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old January 25th, 2013, 8:09 pm
Member of the Order

JJ Abrams? omg...that is promising!

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion