Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Starwars

Old November 12th, 2009, 4:11 pm
Knower of things

Starwars

Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away I'm absolutely shocked that there isn't a thread on starwars already. Who can forget those opening lines scrolling across the screens or the strains of the familiar theme tune?

Who hasn't seen starwars - any of them??

Quote:
Star Wars is an epic space opera franchise initially conceived by George Lucas. The first film in the franchise was originally released on May 25, 1977, by 20th Century Fox, and became a worldwide pop culture phenomenon, spawning two immediate sequels, released at three-year intervals. Sixteen years after the release of the trilogy's final film, the first in a new prequel trilogy of films was released, again released at three-year intervals, with the final film released on May 19, 2005.
So which episode is your favourite?

Who's your favourite character and why?

Which character do you like least?

Are you a fan of the original or the "new" prequels most?

Old November 12th, 2009, 4:31 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: Starwars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away I'm absolutely shocked that there isn't a thread on starwars already. Who can forget those opening lines scrolling across the screens or the strains of the familiar theme tune?
There is actually, it's just been buried on the last page I saw it the other day- http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=48997

Apparently it's on the 5th version though

But to answer some of the questions (I don't have time to think about all of 'em) I have seen the original trilogy and the first prequel.

As I said in the "1,001 movies to see before you die" thread, they are not top favorites of mine...but you can't go without seeing them.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 12th, 2009 at 4:36 pm.
Old November 12th, 2009, 5:02 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Star Wars

Quote:
Obi Wan. All class.

Quote:
Anakin in all his whiny manifestations (although Vader rocks).

Quote:
Originals although the prequels have a flashy charm

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old November 15th, 2009, 10:51 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
The Empire Strikes Back.

Quote:
Han Solo, because he's so cool and natural.

Quote:
All the characters from the Prequel trilogy

Quote:
The originals are the best. The prequels are universally mediocre and add nothing of quality to Star Wars, with the exception of some nice production design and cool lightsaber fights. Sadly, even the originals are not safe from Lucas' tinkering. He already badly affected "A New Hope" by ridiculously altering the Han/Greedo scene, and he ruined the ending of "Return of the Jedi" by shoehorning Naboo into the end celebration, and most disrespectfully and illogically replacing Sebastian Shaw in the final scene with the awful Hayden Christensen.

Old November 15th, 2009, 11:07 pm
Seventh Year

Empire Strikes Back

C-3P0 because he's hilarious.

Teenage Anakin. Young Anakin was pretty annoying too.

No. The Phantom Menace was okay, but the next too were awful.

BTW, not to be a rude, annoying grammar Nazi, but are you aware that Star Wars is two words?

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by halfbreedlover; November 16th, 2009 at 12:36 am. Reason: On second thought, I liked Empire Strikes Back the most.
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:32 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:
I didn't see them before I was about 23 or so - too late to get totally overwhelmed, and too late to not see some of the flaws.

However, the fact that even as late as 1995 the original three still looked petty amazing to my jaded 23-year-old self tells you something.

I don't love them, but I'd rate them as absolute must-see films. You aren't ready for today's cultural references if you haven't seen at least the original three, but I think by now the othr three have to be added to that, too.

Quote:
Empire Strikes Back. That one, IMHO, is the best made by a long way (at least in terms of script and direction).

Quote:
Tough call again. Han Solo, I'd say. But both Yoda and Obi-Wan run a close second (I am not so fond of these charactrs in the new episodes, so I guess in the end Han wins because he is only in the originals...)

Quote:
Tough call between teenage Anakin (the kid is OK, IMHO) and JarJar. Although there are quite a few howlers among the smaller roles (dodgy trader with crooked nose, for example? ARGH!).

Quote:
hehe. That should be pretty clear by now.

I think the original trilogy - especially Star Wars (ANH) really made a huge contributon to how films are made, and particularly how space is portrayed. Away from the clinically clean image where everything works to a world where you have to kick a ship before it fires up. That sort of thing. And is there a space film these days that can get away without a version of the Cantina scene?

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic

Last edited by Klio; November 15th, 2009 at 11:37 pm.
Old November 15th, 2009, 11:45 pm
Secret Keeper

Uh, so are we just running with this or what?

Cause as I said before, a thread already exists- http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=48997

Old November 15th, 2009, 11:58 pm
Fifth Year

I actually know a person who has not seen any of them and doesn't plan to. But she was born several years after ROTJ came out so asking her about the Star Wars originals is like asking me about a movie from the 60s, like 2001: A Space Odyssey. I saw parts of it. I like the scenes with the apes but didn't care for the futuristic stuff.

Empire Strikes Back. Han Solo's "I know" response to Leia saying she loves him is used as an object lesson of how to respond to women by pickup artists.
Most people say their favorite is either ESB or ROTJ. Interestingly enough, those are the two films that Lucas himself did not direct.

A tie between Yoda and Emperor Palpatine. Only Yoda could make bad grammar sound so good. And Palpatine was devilishly brilliant in being able to start a galaxy-wide war in which he was the supreme commander of both sides. And who doesn't wish that they sometimes had the power to shoot lightning out of their hands.

General Grievous. Most people will say either young/teenage Anakin or Jar Jar. But Grievous was just as annoying as either of them.

I suppose the general preference for ESB and ROTJ over the other four (including ANH) and the popularity of the Indiana Jones movies show that Lucas should stick to producing and leave the directing to others.

Old November 16th, 2009, 12:32 am
Registered Animagus

I have been a star wars fan for years and was doing this, posting on a star wars site just as i now am posting on a Harry Potter site, when the prequels started coming out. We would have endless discussions about how we thought the prequel trilogy would come out.

My favorite is ESB. It just had the best plot of the six. There was great anticipation and some great revelation. It just had a lot going for it.

I really like Palpatine as the sort of ultimate bad guy. His character is really the only thing that makes the prequels recover for me. The words he has with Anakin in Episode 3 was great. Also when you know that he is the bad guy, that he is Darth Sidious throughout the entire thing, the sort of game he has been play for all those years, he is really a great bad guy.

I think i am going to agree with the dislike of Anakin in the prequels. It is really too bad because they really could have done something great with his character, and it just didn't work for me.

Clearly i am a fan of the originals, because i sort of grew up watching those. The prequels lost me in the end, while there was some great battle and light saber fighting, the actual plot of the last one was ridiculous.

Once the prequels started happening i really thought that Anakin would be responsible for Padme's death. That, for me, was the only way we could get to where he was and to have him turn before she died just because he was afraid she would die, i just don't know. The entire scene where he killed Mace and knelt in front of Palpatine just seemed so cheesy. It didn't make enough sense. They needed to somehow make the jedi more culpable for turning Padme against him. They needed more disagreement between Anakin and Padme about the Republic becoming the Empire.

I know in the end they did some of that with Anakin believing that Padme had brought Obi-wan to the planet to stop him, but it was too late then. He had already turned and killed many jedi. There were also some great deleted scenes with Padme being part of the beginning of the rebellion that Luke then joins in ANH.

Also, after Luke and Leia are born and Padme is dying. The robot that is helping her says that there is nothing wrong with her, she had lost the will to live, or something like that. The nonsense that Padme, who is this strong, female, leader, all aggressive negotiations, would die of a broken heart. Oh goodness. Padme is her daughter's mother and to have her die that way was so cheesy. It would not have changed Leia's memory if she had died of injuries instead of a broken heart.

I just really believed that Anakin would harm her and she would die from her injuries. That may be morbid, but Anakin was still responsible for her death either way and it would have made a lot more sense to Padme's character and to the resolution at the end of RotJ if he had just actually injured her for him to have actually made a mistake instead of simply trusting Palpatine.

Last edited by decarus; November 16th, 2009 at 12:35 am.
Old November 16th, 2009, 2:02 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPotter View Post

Empire Strikes Back. Han Solo's "I know" response to Leia saying she loves him is used as an object lesson of how to respond to women by pickup artists.
I'm failing to see why this would make it someone's favorite? Personally I'm not sure which is my fav, it's been a while since I saw them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post

I don't love them, but I'd rate them as absolute must-see films.

BTW, if we are keeping this alternative Star Wars thread...can we please fix the title?

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 16th, 2009 at 2:14 am.
Old November 16th, 2009, 8:58 am
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
I'm failing to see why this would make it someone's favorite?
lc, it makes little sense to question something like this. People's favourite isn't a matter of argument, it's a matter of taste. If someone likes a film because of a particular scene or quote, what's there to question? That's a pefectly good reason to like a film.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old November 16th, 2009, 9:35 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
lc, it makes little sense to question something like this. People's favourite isn't a matter of argument, it's a matter of taste. If someone likes a film because of a particular scene or quote, what's there to question? That's a pefectly good reason to like a film.
What I mean is, aren't pick-up artists generally scumbags? If so it makes little sense why this specific scene is apparently the main reason for it being a fav. "I know" seems like a heartless response to such a statement. The natural response would be "I love you too", right?

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 16th, 2009 at 10:12 am.
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:35 am
Winning Teamster

lc, you are probably right that a man usually can't (and shouldn't) get away with this.

But Han Solo definitely gets away with it. It's a fantastic scene, and a fantastic line in the context. I am not an expert, but I heard that something totally boring like 'I love you, too' was scripted. It wouldn't have been memorable. This is. It fits the characters and the scene perfectly and it is, IMHO, very romantic.

(ther eis the bad news: Han Solo can do no wrong )

BTW - don't try this at home. It won't work.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
Old November 16th, 2009, 1:14 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Empire Strikes Back shows other movies that sequels are not always supposed to be bigger, more action packed and more epic. This gets down to the meat and heart of the characters and story. As it goes from a excellent stand alone first film, and now a full on engaging saga.
Quote:
Too many for so many different reasons.

Darth Vader -- he's the villian you'd want to be. The suit, the voice, everything about him is classic.

Luke -- when I was a kid, I always modeled myself after Luke. I always loved the hero in stories, so Luke was kind of the ultimate hero to me, and the father/son dynamic introduced at the end of Empire and all through Jedi just really made his character for me.

Yoda -- come on, who doesn't love the little green guy?
Quote:
I know people are still sore about how Anakin was portrayed in the prequels, I agree, but how can anyone not say Jar Jar? He's as bad as bad gets.

And for the record, I love the ewoks.
Quote:
The originals ALL THE WAY! I grew up on them, to this very day I see them as perfection. I just plain love the trilogy.

The prequels... Phantom Menace isn't as bad as many people say it is IMO, perhaps I'm biased to an incredible theater experience (c'mon, it was seeing a fresh Star Wars movie in theaters!), but I think it's okay. It has it's fair share of flaws and heaping flaws at that, but it at least felt like a Star Wars film, unlike the following two. Which brings me to Attack of the Clones, when I first saw it I enjoyed it and defended it against all the haters, but the more I watched it the less I liked it until I reached a point of literally hating the movie with every fiber of my being. I barely can admit it's pro's. Revenge of the Sith was a massive step up, or well, a step up in enjoyment. I'd be damned if I don't enjoy the heck out of the movie, but it's got every bit the flaws it's predecessor has. It suffers greatly from miscasting, which is something the Originals didn't have an issue with (couldn't think of more perfect casting in my life) and to a lesser extent Phantom Menace didn't have (besides Jake Loyd).

Quote:
lc, you are probably right that a man usually can't (and shouldn't) get away with this.

But Han Solo definitely gets away with it. It's a fantastic scene, and a fantastic line in the context. I am not an expert, but I heard that something totally boring like 'I love you, too' was scripted. It wouldn't have been memorable. This is. It fits the characters and the scene perfectly and it is, IMHO, very romantic.

(ther eis the bad news: Han Solo can do no wrong )

BTW - don't try this at home. It won't work.
It's really Harrison Ford that makes it work. Nobody else could have uttered those lines and delivered it half as well, or made it work. It's legendary.

It's funny, all the females always swooned over Han Solo and as a kid I was always "blech" at all of that, and I never like Han Solo much anyway. But as I've grown older I see the appeal, and as a more matured person Han Solo works better as a character for me. He's some of the worst qualities of a man rolled up and somehow it all works, clearly, or all the girls wouldn't love him so.

Old November 16th, 2009, 11:19 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
What I mean is, aren't pick-up artists generally scumbags? If so it makes little sense why this specific scene is apparently the main reason for it being a fav. "I know" seems like a heartless response to such a statement. The natural response would be "I love you too", right?
I was simply referring to how the quote was so talked about and the way in which it has been alluded to.

There are some pickup artists who are scumbags, but there are also others who are misunderstood.

Harrison Ford ab libbed "I know" after it was clear "I love you too" wasn't working. In ROTJ Han said "I love you" to Leia and she responded with "I know." They then shot a bunch of storm troopers.

Old November 16th, 2009, 11:50 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML1991 View Post
The prequels... Phantom Menace isn't as bad as many people say it is IMO, perhaps I'm biased to an incredible theater experience (c'mon, it was seeing a fresh Star Wars movie in theaters!), but I think it's okay.
I'd agree with you. I am not a Star Wars fan, but I remember the excitement about the amazing visuals - it looked pretty jawdropping at the time - in a way the other two no longer did, because by that time ILM was no longer the only SFX company that could do anything someone could dream up. The problem was that once everything was possible, those with the bst creative design suddenly had the edge. Phantom Menace looked fresh in a way AOTC and ROTS didn't. IMHO. JarJar almost wrecked PM, but I remember watching it on the big screen was quite something.

I am afraid I have no similar memory of the other two ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML1991 View Post
It's really Harrison Ford that makes it work. Nobody else could have uttered those lines and delivered it half as well, or made it work. It's legendary.

It's funny, all the females always swooned over Han Solo and as a kid I was always "blech" at all of that, and I never like Han Solo much anyway. But as I've grown older I see the appeal, and as a more matured person Han Solo works better as a character for me. He's some of the worst qualities of a man rolled up and somehow it all works, clearly, or all the girls wouldn't love him so.
Oh, it's totally Harrison Ford who makes it work, and you are right, it's hard to explain. I think in RL I'd try my very best to stay out of the way of anyone even remotely similar to Han Solo.... but boy is it fun to watch that character work his magic.

Of course, in that 'I know' scene, he isn't picking her up. He has another half second to sort of get across how close he is to her, and the totally unconventional 'I know' makes this a lot clearer than a cliche phrase that anybody might say. I hope no bloke would say 'I know' in such a dialogue - unless he really knows the girl and totally trusts her to understand. And that is what's sweet about that scene. He knows he doesn't need to pretend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPotter View Post
Harrison Ford ab libbed "I know" after it was clear "I love you too" wasn't working. In ROTJ Han said "I love you" to Leia and she responded with "I know." They then shot a bunch of storm troopers.
I thought I remembered that Ford had come up with this... but I had totally forgotten about that scene in ROTJ. that is definitely a great echo!

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw

Last edited by Klio; November 16th, 2009 at 11:52 pm.
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:48 am
Banned

Out of them all, The Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars which were mindblowingly brilliant and exactly what the prequel series should have been instead of what they are now.

But if we are limited to the 6 ep format, it would have to be Empire. Best use of Vader, best acting, not directed by Lucas and a killer opening.

General Grevious voiced by John Dimaggio only. Smoker's lung Grevious was horrid in Attack of the Clones but Clone Wars Grevious was GDlike. Band of Jedis tossed around like rag dolls.

Footballs playing droids in Attack of the Clones. In a galaxy far far away we somehow have a society that had developed the game of American Football with droids. If there was any other way to utterly obliterate the suspension of disbelief it would be a long past futuristic society in a galaxy lightyears away from us having a sport exactly like ours being shown in a bar. You might as well have shown the Colonel, the Taco Bell dog and the Pizza Hut delivery girl as a cameo.

Original.

Quote:
What I mean is, aren't pick-up artists generally scumbags?
No not really since they are playing the activity of courting in a highly refined and efficient method. Also it's confidence that attracts which often is misperceived as scumbaggery.
Quote:
If so it makes little sense why this specific scene is apparently the main reason for it being a fav. "I know" seems like a heartless response to such a statement. The natural response would be "I love you too", right?
Yes that would be the natural and boring response. Hardly fit for something cinematic that is supposed to whisk us away from the dredges of reality into a far more exciting and witty world than ours. How would "Frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn." sound if all Brett said was "I don't care."

What makes "I know" sound better and more heartfelt than the seemingly more natural "I love you too" you suggested is that it falls in line with his gruff personality (without making him show too much emotional vulnerability yet), reflects on the relationship that Han and Leia have being quarreling at arm length's crushes and emphasizes that they've come to admit their feelings to each other with such commitment, that it doesn't need words to express that they've entered into this relationship or beginning it, but they've already established their commitment to each other non-verbally beforehand. That's heavy loaded words of star crossed lovers and destiny and definitely far more interesting than "I love you as well."

Old November 17th, 2009, 11:26 am
Sixth Year

Empire Strikes Back: best story, best lines, Yoda, the asteroids, Luke/Vader duel, and...
Spoiler: show
"Luke, I'm your father"

Hard to choose between Luke (my first screen crush), Han Solo (most charming rascal ever), Vader (one of best villains ever)... But I think that overall, my favourite is the duet R2D2/C3PO. I consider them as two halves of an only character.

Jar-Jar the Idiot? Anakin the Moaning?

ORIGINALS!!!! The new movies were visually stunning, but all of them suffered of a weak story, a poor design of characters and a predicitble script (there was actually anyone who hadn't figured out that Padme the Servant was actually Queen Amidala?), apart of wasting such good actors as Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman. Revenge of the Sith is a bit better, but I HATE Attack of the Clones: including something as cheesy as Padme and Anakin in Naboo (BTW, it's incredible that so smart a woman as PAdme chooses precisely a leather corset to tell Anakin they can't be together) in the Star Wars series should be a crime.

About the famous 'I know', I think it's one of those phrases that define a character: prisoner of the bad guys, a second before being frozen and probably killed... and he can't help being cocky and cheeky: that's Han Solo.

Old November 17th, 2009, 11:47 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Empire Strikes Back, although Return of The Jedi was my favourite as a kid, mainly because of the ewoks I think. I still have a soft spot for them.

I've always loved Han for his sarcasm and scruffy charm. I like his development throughout the original trilogy and I love the "accidental hero". Yoda probably comes in second.

Jar Jar. I'm also not a huge fan of Anakin. Far too whiny.

Most definitely the originals. I watched them countless times growing up, as my older brother was an obsessive fan. I saw all of the prequels at the cinema and I've seen them quite a few times on DVD but they rarely even approach the originals, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
About the famous 'I know', I think it's one of those phrases that define a character: prisoner of the bad guys, a second before being frozen and probably killed... and he can't help being cocky and cheeky: that's Han Solo.
Exactly.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old November 17th, 2009, 1:38 pm
Secret Keeper

I've yet to see this film, but I thought it was "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" and not what you put, which was "frankly Scarlett..."

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion