Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Keeping Motivated

Old October 27th, 2009, 11:36 pm
Third Year

Keeping Motivated

I write a lot, and I've started several stories. Then, I read one that I think is better than mine, or I get writer's block, and I just stop the story, and can never pick it up again.

How do you guys keep motivated in writing your stories?

Deathly Hallows Part 2 almost made me a Snape-fan. . .almost. But then I re-read Deathly Hallows and I came back to my senses and the world was the way it's supposed to be.
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2009, 9:13 am
Malum Veneficus

Re: Keeping Motivated

What usually keeps me motivated is a deadline looming ahead. . I really work much better under the threat of a deadline. You can try joining writing contests, for instance. It's too late now, but you can try and participate in the NanoWrimo. It really helps you finish your story in a short time, then you can worry about the quality later.

I used to do something else, as well. I had a friend who wrote stories like me. So we tried to work together and encourage each other. We used to read each other's stories every weekend and then give notes to each other. So try to share your work with someone, that usually helps.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:54 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
I used to do something else, as well. I had a friend who wrote stories like me. So we tried to work together and encourage each other. We used to read each other's stories every weekend and then give notes to each other. So try to share your work with someone, that usually helps.
Good suggestion. I had a writing buddy for my first novel.

If you don't have a friend who writes, check your local library for writing groups. Usually, they are older people, but they might be able to help you start up a writing group your own age. Your school librarian may be interested in helping you form a group, or maybe your language arts teacher.

Good luck and keep writing. It's a habit you have to nurture.

Old December 11th, 2009, 10:26 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krums_Girl View Post
I get writer's block, and I just stop the story, and can never pick it up again.
I think the best way to deal with a writer's block is to forget about your story for a while. Forget everything about it. And when you pick it up again I'm sure you'll have new ideas and will be able to move on.
You can also edit it, see if you can remove parts, add others, that ought to help somehow. .
After all, a complicated story is better and more enjoyable than a simple obvious one.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old December 11th, 2009, 5:19 pm
Second Year

That happens to me as well.

I will start writing and come up with another idea whilse writing or just out of the blue whilst thinking.

Here is what I do.

I take a journal and write down all of my book/poem/short story ideas. That way they are all stored.
I make it first priority to get them done in a certain order.

I go through and outline what happens in each chapter. Chapter by chapter until the story is finished by summing up what happens in each chapter. (usually a paragraph long for each chapter).

Then I think...it's basically finished I just have to add the details, the place, etc. I just have to write it out. It makes it easier to write in my opinion and faster.

Just write down your book ideas, get the layouts chapter by chapter for each story then write it out and move to your other story.
If yo have a writer's block don't be afraid to ask some friends for ideas. It's just one idea. no one is going to try to rob you and take credit for your book if they are your friends.
If I get writers block. I stop writing and take a break then sit and think about things that could correlate.

I hope I've helped you.
Good luck on your writings!

Old December 12th, 2009, 8:58 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Keeping motivated--write. If you've got writer's block, write. Write stupid things. Write a scene you know you will delete. Write a scene you know is BAD. It may connect you to an important part in your story that you can write about. It may break you out of your writer's block. If you've hit a point in your story where you have writer's block going away may not help because you may not want to come back. You'll see the end where you're at a loss for what to write. If you just keep writing. Write that the character is brushing their teeth or going to bed or some inane stupid activity you know will get deleted out of the final draft. Writing will get you over the hump and to the next spot. It may trigger something.

Something I like to do is force myself to write five lines. I'll just sit down and write five lines. It helps a lot when I have writer's block or I don't know how to transition to the next scene. If I continue to do this, throughout the day force myself to write five lines at a time, I'll eventually get to the next scene or get past the part that's giving me trouble. It may not be my best writing, but I can edit it later.

You don't have to write in order. If you're having trouble with what's in front of you move to a scene you've been itching to write or you know you won't have trouble with. You will get some writing done and it may trigger something to help with the part you were having problems with.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old April 16th, 2010, 2:48 am
Third Year

These are all great suggestions; thanks so much guys!

Bella: as for entering a competition, I plan on joining my school's language arts club next fall, and they compete six times during the season, so I think that the club will help me with my writing.

Deathly Hallows Part 2 almost made me a Snape-fan. . .almost. But then I re-read Deathly Hallows and I came back to my senses and the world was the way it's supposed to be.
Old April 26th, 2010, 10:40 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

I'm a beginner in fiction, but one thing I know from writing nonfiction is that if I get stuck, I can always write non-sequentially. I can write a section that will be easier to write than the section I'm working on, and then I can always go back and work on troublesome spots.

I tried this in my first piece for the Deathly Hallows contest. I was having a lot of trouble writing the opening. So I went to the section that I really wanted to work on (the part involving the Wand), which flowed out easily. Then I was able to go back and work on the opening.

Writing fiction has always been a mystery to me, so I was really surprised to find that some of the things I knew about writing nonfiction also applied to fiction.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old May 28th, 2012, 7:23 pm
First Year

Just cut yourself off from everything. Put a mini fridge in your room, and write like crazy. It helps me, at least.

Old May 30th, 2012, 4:10 am
Registered Animagus

I've let too many things interfere with my writing the last couple of months and now I'm out of the habit. I used to write 2-3 hours a day 5-6 days a week, but I got tendinitis in my shoulders and took too much time resting.

Took me a week to write a 2K word story and I haven't even gotten around to editing it yet. <sigh>

So, I set myself a goal to get back to two hours a day starting June 9th.

Old June 8th, 2012, 1:15 pm
Sixth Year

Well, I keep motivated by looking at the reviews I get for the story. While reviews aren't essential, they do keep me motivated to finishing the story because I know that people like it and want to see it continue. As for writer's block, my advice would be to work on another story if you're stuck on one. I find that helps me sometimes because usually when I'm working on another story, I tend to get ideas for a different one. Also, if you're writing fan fiction and are stuck, read the book or watch the show that you're writing about. That has helped me many times.

Old June 30th, 2012, 3:30 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Something one of my teachers told us was to stop before we get out of the exciting part. In other words, leave something you want to come back to.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:59 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
Something one of my teachers told us was to stop before we get out of the exciting part. In other words, leave something you want to come back to.
Makes sense, but I know I couldn't stop in the middle of an exciting scene.

Old July 17th, 2012, 5:27 am
First Year

I agree with everyone who said something about a deadline...imagine that your story must be finished within, say, the next three months. If it is, it will be published!! Just imagine your finished work changing your life in a great way.

Old July 17th, 2012, 1:41 pm
First Year

I write for scientific journals, and I think of it the same as getting motivated to exercise - I DON'T think about it - I carve out a time of day (for me I write best in the morning when my mind is fresh), sit down and plug away. Distractions have to be minimized too - if your surroundings are chaotic, then your mind can't focus. If music helps you then by all means play something in the background, or if you prefer silence then mute everything.

You have to set up your situation, and let it flow. If reading other's fan fiction discourages you, perhaps next time when reading look at it as inspiration. Also, if you get tired of writing, put it away and open it up the following day.

The more you write, the better you will get...

Sing a song, a song of life, lived without regret, tell the ones, the ones I loved, I never will forget.
Old July 19th, 2012, 7:46 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermioneLandry View Post

The more you write, the better you will get...
That's the key, isn't it. Keep on writing.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 5:35 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I just go with the flow. Even though I can go months without working on a story, I never force it. I know that sooner or later, I'll be in a writing mood again, and then I will get back to what I was working on.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 6:23 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
Keeping motivated--write. If you've got writer's block, write. Write stupid things. Write a scene you know you will delete. Write a scene you know is BAD. It may connect you to an important part in your story that you can write about. It may break you out of your writer's block. If you've hit a point in your story where you have writer's block going away may not help because you may not want to come back. You'll see the end where you're at a loss for what to write. If you just keep writing. Write that the character is brushing their teeth or going to bed or some inane stupid activity you know will get deleted out of the final draft. Writing will get you over the hump and to the next spot. It may trigger something.

Something I like to do is force myself to write five lines. I'll just sit down and write five lines. It helps a lot when I have writer's block or I don't know how to transition to the next scene. If I continue to do this, throughout the day force myself to write five lines at a time, I'll eventually get to the next scene or get past the part that's giving me trouble. It may not be my best writing, but I can edit it later.

You don't have to write in order. If you're having trouble with what's in front of you move to a scene you've been itching to write or you know you won't have trouble with. You will get some writing done and it may trigger something to help with the part you were having problems with.
I think you said everything I wanted to, leah49 Also, another thing I found helpful was having a few projects going at a time (don't have more than say three or four active ones at once, or you may start to feel overwhelmed.) For example, I have three stories (that I plan to be novel-length) going at once, all set in Ancient Egypt: Book of Thoth, King Tut, and Isis and Osiris.

In addition, I also keep some exercise books to write other story ideas for the future that may be interesting to pursue. Exercise books are handy if you want to brainstorm, note down other ideas you've come up with (believe me, you'll forget the "great idea" the next day, if not the same day). Also, if I'm out and about, I often carry an exercise book with me as well, so I can keep writing anything that interests me or see something that may inspire a storyline or sideplot later.

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 3:04 am
Registered Animagus

Right now, I'm working on a series of children's books with an illustrator. He's moving so fast, I can't worry about anything but keeping up with him. Whew! That's one way to keep motivated.

Old October 21st, 2012, 12:56 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krums_Girl View Post
I write a lot, and I've started several stories. Then, I read one that I think is better than mine, or I get writer's block, and I just stop the story, and can never pick it up again.

How do you guys keep motivated in writing your stories?
One of the ways I get motivated is when I read a really good book, like a HP book, and it makes me want to write just as good so I pull out the notebook and pen and get started. But from what you said it seems that demotivates you which is alright. So the other advice I have is:
to read inspirational and motivational poems/quotes
listen to uplifting songs (they might even give you an idea or concept for your story!)
look at cute/happy pictures: this is just to get in a happier mood. I find that when I'm feeling happy I feel that everything is possible (which sounds a bit cheesy but it really works!).
For some reason, I find that some days I work just as well, if not better, under stress than when I do relaxed. So here is another silly-ish idea that works: I'll pretend that my imaginary agent/publisher has given me a deadline to finish a chapter or certain amount of pages by a set date. When it becomes more 'real-life' like then it motivates me pretty well.
So I hope that helps.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner