Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Inglourious Basterds

Old September 30th, 2010, 5:01 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Re: Inglourious Basterds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
In other news, Tony Curtis (an actor from arguably one of the best all around films ever made) is dead also. He lived a nice long life though.

Sure are a lot of people (there's been at least a few others) in the entertaining business dying the past couple days...seems like these things happen in bunches
Please stay on topic. You can post about people who have died in the Rest in Peace thread in the DoIMC.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2010, 5:39 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Please stay on topic. You can post about people who have died in the Rest in Peace thread in the DoIMC.
Well see I just had intended to tack it on to my response...and didn't realize I'd accidentally hit submit instead of preview before I copied over the other part from elsewhere. Anyways, it's been edited now such that it's on topic. Also, I probably won't post in here again, fyi

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; September 30th, 2010 at 5:42 pm.
Old September 30th, 2010, 5:59 pm
Representative Homosexual

Quote:
The problem with IB is just that Tarantino takes it to the extreme. I mean he has one scene of just talking for 30 freaking minutes and it's hardly advancing the plot. I get that he was trying to build suspense, but he over-milked the cow.
The milk scene just isn't that long by even half and I'd say it's one of the best opening scenes of a film I've ever seen. Yeah, Tarantino milks that scene for every last bit of creamy dialogue it's worth, but to say it's not advancing the plot is like you didn't even watch the film. Now the bar scene, I would agree, was a little long-winded, if that's the 30-minute scene you were talking about. It's a kind of annoying scene in a lot of ways, including its pacing, but then, that's sort of a physical manifestation of what the characters in that scene are going through, so in a way, it's annoyingly genius.

Old September 30th, 2010, 6:12 pm
Secret Keeper

^ Ok, my last post in here (just for clarification purposes)

Considering I mentioned the bar scene in the previous post I figured it was clear that was what I was talking about. I'm not sure the scene was even needed but if so surely you could cut a lot of chit chat and preserve the essence and purpose of the scene. It was overdrawn, end of story. And that just scratches the surface. It's def not the only example of poor pacing, but it's probably the most extreme in his films...

BTW, my honest opinion is I think he's a fairly solid (albeit pretentious and over-indulgent) director who makes generally good films. Ones I find hard to love and I don't see what makes him so special to certain groups but whatever, go ahead, carry on with your Tarantino lovin'

PS. Before you disagree, don't try telling me a director who includes "I think this is my masterpiece" at the end of his film isn't pretentious.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; September 30th, 2010 at 6:22 pm.
Old September 30th, 2010, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Considering I mentioned the bar scene in the previous post I figured it was clear that was what I was talking about.
Sorry, you said "over milked the cow" so I assumed from that post you might be talking about the milk scene. I wouldn't call the bar scene unnecessary, but like I just said, it was annoying in a lot of ways. (Didn't you read the last half of my post? I think it was Tarantino's intention to annoy you with that scene, and I bet he would be overjoyed to know people actually fast-forward through it.)

Quote:
PS. I'll just tell you now, don't try telling me a director who includes "I think this is my masterpiece" at the end of a film isn't pretentious
ROFL, who has ever denied Tarantino isn't pretentious? O_o

I guess you don't really get Tarantino or his fans at all. XP

Old September 30th, 2010, 6:44 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban43 View Post
ROFL, who has ever denied Tarantino isn't pretentious? O_o
A lot of people I have talked to who stand by everything he makes and considers all of his films flawless say he isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastaban43 View Post
I guess you don't really get Tarantino or his fans at all. XP
This itself is pretentious and one of the reasons many people hate Tarantino and his fans. I'm not one of them, though.

Old September 30th, 2010, 7:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
A lot of people I have talked to who stand by everything he makes and considers all of his films flawless say he isn't.

This itself is pretentious and one of the reasons many people hate Tarantino and his fans. I'm not one of them, though.
I will stand by Tarantino as long as he continues to make brilliant films, but I think the people who like his films and deny he has a certain level of pretension also don't get his films, and that's exhibiting a completely different level of pretension. Give me self-aware self-indulgence over oblivious snobbery any day of the week.

Old October 1st, 2010, 11:32 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Tarantino's films tend to be a mess of long boring stretches and then high octane scenes...there's no consistency and they don't flow well.

Case in point- The bar scene. Sit around the table talking for 30 minutes >> ridic minute or two shootout >> cut to another boring scene...

Maybe I'm blaming the wrong person, but I hang that on the editor.
As Rastaban43 said, blame it on Tarantino. He wrote the script and directed it. I don't know how much influence/freedom the editor usually is given, but his/her's job is basically to piece together the film. I doubt he/she can cut lines and such if it's not clarified with the director.

Having just watched it, I thought it was edited wonderfully myself. It flows rather well, IMO, and it's refreshing to see a movie which doesn't change camera view/angle every other second in conversations between two people.

As for the film, I was pleasantly surprised by it. It would be dishonest of me to say it didn't feel overlong, but while there were many drawn-out scenes it somehow worked for the benefit of the film; there's a certain rhythm to it, a slow and menacing build-up and atmosphere created before hell breaks loose and that kept it from being boring. I was quite drawn in while watching it, but upon further reflections it did feel utterly nonsensical which is illustrated by the excessive and disturbing gore.

All in all, it was a unique experience, but I will definitely not waste time looking for meaning in it. 8/10

Last edited by Noldus; October 1st, 2010 at 11:39 pm.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 1:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
I don't know how much influence/freedom the editor usually is given, but his/her's job is basically to piece together the film.
Big blockbusters are much more of a collaborative effort with producers exuding much more creative control, and in those cases, editors would do things that a director didn't necessarily know about or care for, but in the case of films with strong-minded directors, the director will be sitting in the same room as the editor a lot of the time.

Old October 8th, 2010, 4:56 am
Fifth Year

I loved this movie. My brother made me watch it like two three days ago, because I never have seen it before. It was funny because we were going to have to wait for it to be on and he was going through the dvr thing and found it recorded already=] At first I was like naw I don't want to, then I got into it and happy he made me=]

It was a bit to ew, for me in parts. They really didn't need to show some things.

I am not a fan of Tarantino and was surprised to see his name in the end. But since this was taken from a movie a long time ago(I believe), I don't give him full credit

Last edited by deathplce4myhed; October 8th, 2010 at 4:59 am.
Old October 8th, 2010, 5:07 am
First Year

I have always enjoyed Tarantino (aside from Kill Bill... blech) He mixes violence and humour beautifully. This movie grabbed my attention from start to finish in a way that you wish all movies could. It has a really good feeling to it. I've watched it multiple times since it was released and could watch it again tomorrow. Christopher Waltz nailed Col. Hans Landa (aka The Jew Hunter). Amazing.

xo;
Old October 8th, 2010, 8:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathplce4myhed View Post
I am not a fan of Tarantino and was surprised to see his name in the end. But since this was taken from a movie a long time ago(I believe), I don't give him full credit
Was it? I thought it was a screenplay he had been working on for a few years and just hadn't got the support to make it yet.

Old October 8th, 2010, 8:49 am
Seventh Year

It's inspired to some extent by the 1978 Italian Inglorious *******s (I haven't seen that movie, so I can't say how similar the two are), but it's not really based on that, it's not a remake.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; October 8th, 2010 at 8:52 am.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 4:49 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
It's inspired to some extent by the 1978 Italian Inglorious *******s (I haven't seen that movie, so I can't say how similar the two are), but it's not really based on that, it's not a remake.
I have seen the earlier movie. There's not enough similarity to say more than the earlier film served as an indirect inspiration. Tarentino's film is definitely not a remake. He did steal one of the actors, though, for his movie-within-a-movie.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old March 29th, 2012, 5:28 am
Second Year

IB took me a few viewings for me to decide if I liked it. There are good actors and characters, but the fact they were nazis was what bothered me. I didn't like the shosanna-frederick story but that's not really a critique, overall the film was amazing. I'm glad waltz got an oscar. That laugh he did when he heard the mountain climbing excuse was sheer perfection. What I especially like about this is this film isn't action heavy, it's mostly dialogue.

Also, there is another way to look at the Hans Landa-Shosanna scene when he is investigating her background as to how she came to own a cinema. First, he mentions milk. Coincidence? Maybe. But second of all in the end he says "there is something else I wanted to ask you" and he made a serious face, the same look he gave at the end of his interrogation of the farmer in the beginning of the movie when he found out the truth. My friends don't agree with me as they chalk up his reaction to mere forgetfulness, but I disagree. How can this intelligent man "forget" something as important as an escapee? Therefore, I think Hans knew who she was from the beginning but when he mentioned that there was something else he wanted to ask, he paused for a good 10 seconds, perhaps realizing he could end the war himself since the 4 enemies would be in the cinema at once. Plus he knew about the IB, he even said at the end of the movie that he interrogated all of the forehead marked survivors. Hans Landa knew about the IB plan to blow them up.

If QT intended this, he is even more of a genius. IB is one of the best movies ever.

Old June 7th, 2012, 8:17 pm
First Year

I found this film to be horrifying yet absolutely brilliant. It was extremely clever with an excellent cast. I loved it overall, though it was very upsetting in parts too. I'd definitely watch it again.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion