Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Inglourious Basterds



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old August 31st, 2009, 3:39 am
RareAddict  Male.gif RareAddict is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3304 days
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 27
Posts: 95
Re: Inglourious Basterds

As an enormous fan of Quentin Tarantino’s work (with Pulp Fiction, specifically, being my second favorite movie of all time), I’d been looking forward to Inglourious Basterds quite a bit. Somewhat apprehensive, given the premise of the film, but for the most part, I went in expecting to have a pretty good time. Now, as the end credits started to roll, all I could say was “Damn.”

First of all, it should be noted that the trailers for Basterds are very misleading. Watching them, I expected an almost action comedy primarily about this group of soldiers going around, killing Nazis. And while there is some of that (along with its fair share of hilarious moments), that really isn’t the focus of the movie. In fact, the Basterds themselves only take up about a quarter of the film (if not less). The real heart of this movie lies in Shosanna, as she’s virtually the only character who’s given any backstory. As a result, about 80% of the dialogue in this movie is subtitled. With that being said, it all plays out extraordinarily well, and I greatly respect Tarantino’s choice to include said subtitles. Also, the more that I think about it, the more I appreciate the less-than-expected number of brutal moments in this film. They’re so sudden, so few and far between, that when they actually do happen, you find them all the more enjoyable.

The acting in this film is superb all across the board. With his thick Tennessee accent, Brad Pitt is gut-bustingly hilarious as Aldo Raine, and contrary to what post people have said, I highly enjoyed Eli Roth’s portrayal of Raine’s fellow Basterd, Donny. Mélanie Laurent is surprisingly exceptional as Shosanna, delivering that sense of both innocence and toughness. Even Mike Myers, who I wrote off as an actor years ago, is solid during his cameo appearance. However, the real show-stealer here is Christoph Waltz as Colonel Hans Landa. On top of being able to act well in several different languages, he manages to do what almost every great, classic villain manages to do, and that is to accomplish being both charming and menacing at once. Personally, I believe that he should, at the very least, get an Oscar nomination for his performance.

The movie is extremely dialogue-heavy, and again, without much action to speak of. Also, the majority of characters came across as somewhat cartoonish to me (especially Pitt’s). So, I can understand why this film may not be for everybody, and even partially why some may feel “cheated”, given the way in which it was advertised. That being said, I thought that the dialogue was heated and clever, and found that the “cartoonishness” of the characters added to the film’s needed sense of humor.

For me to give a film a perfect score is rare enough as it is, but this is the first time I’ve given one to two films in a row (having seen District 9 last weekend). It’s been a damn good year for films so far, with Coraline, Up, and the aforementioned District 9 ranking somewhere in my all-time Top 15. And while I’ll have to see it a few more times to say for sure, Inglourious Basterds is perhaps my fifth favorite movie of all time. It's definitely tied with Neill Blomkamp's initial film as my favorite movie of the year so far. Aside from last year’s Bolt, never has a movie surpassed my expectations by such a great amount. Go see it, right now.

10/10


__________________
Proud Gryffindor

My IMDB Ratings | My IMDB Reviews | Want Midna Back?

Last edited by RareAddict; August 31st, 2009 at 3:41 am.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #22  
Old August 31st, 2009, 4:40 am
DML1991's Avatar
DML1991  Male.gif DML1991 is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 3598 days
Age: 26
Posts: 1,322
Re: Inglourious Basterds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Yes because the internet is the only outlet of information these days. It's not some obscure independent film, there's information everywhere about it (hell if there's information HERE all about it, there must be much more elsewhere). Trailers are put together to make people go see movies. Everyone knows they put the best bits in (from the PoA trailer I thought that would be a good movie but I don't feel like I was 'lied' to). If the audience aren't savvy enough to know that by now, they only have themselves to blame.
This trailer leaves bits out (as all trailers do) and it overplays the Basterds' roles but from it we get that there's going to be a film premier which Hitler and other important Nazis are going to be at and a bunch of American Nazi-killers are going to storm it with the help of a 'double agent'. If you take out the role of the theater owner (whose name I cant think of right now), that's pretty much what it's about.
Everything you've said here makes me want to just say "well said" to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareAddict View Post
As an enormous fan of Quentin Tarantino’s work (with Pulp Fiction, specifically, being my second favorite movie of all time), I’d been looking forward to Inglourious Basterds quite a bit. Somewhat apprehensive, given the premise of the film, but for the most part, I went in expecting to have a pretty good time. Now, as the end credits started to roll, all I could say was “Damn.”

First of all, it should be noted that the trailers for Basterds are very misleading. Watching them, I expected an almost action comedy primarily about this group of soldiers going around, killing Nazis. And while there is some of that (along with its fair share of hilarious moments), that really isn’t the focus of the movie. In fact, the Basterds themselves only take up about a quarter of the film (if not less). The real heart of this movie lies in Shosanna, as she’s virtually the only character who’s given any backstory. As a result, about 80% of the dialogue in this movie is subtitled. With that being said, it all plays out extraordinarily well, and I greatly respect Tarantino’s choice to include said subtitles. Also, the more that I think about it, the more I appreciate the less-than-expected number of brutal moments in this film. They’re so sudden, so few and far between, that when they actually do happen, you find them all the more enjoyable.

The acting in this film is superb all across the board. With his thick Tennessee accent, Brad Pitt is gut-bustingly hilarious as Aldo Raine, and contrary to what post people have said, I highly enjoyed Eli Roth’s portrayal of Raine’s fellow Basterd, Donny. Mélanie Laurent is surprisingly exceptional as Shosanna, delivering that sense of both innocence and toughness. Even Mike Myers, who I wrote off as an actor years ago, is solid during his cameo appearance. However, the real show-stealer here is Christoph Waltz as Colonel Hans Landa. On top of being able to act well in several different languages, he manages to do what almost every great, classic villain manages to do, and that is to accomplish being both charming and menacing at once. Personally, I believe that he should, at the very least, get an Oscar nomination for his performance.

The movie is extremely dialogue-heavy, and again, without much action to speak of. Also, the majority of characters came across as somewhat cartoonish to me (especially Pitt’s). So, I can understand why this film may not be for everybody, and even partially why some may feel “cheated”, given the way in which it was advertised. That being said, I thought that the dialogue was heated and clever, and found that the “cartoonishness” of the characters added to the film’s needed sense of humor.

For me to give a film a perfect score is rare enough as it is, but this is the first time I’ve given one to two films in a row (having seen District 9 last weekend). It’s been a damn good year for films so far, with Coraline, Up, and the aforementioned District 9 ranking somewhere in my all-time Top 15. And while I’ll have to see it a few more times to say for sure, Inglourious Basterds is perhaps my fifth favorite movie of all time. It's definitely tied with Neill Blomkamp's initial film as my favorite movie of the year so far. Aside from last year’s Bolt, never has a movie surpassed my expectations by such a great amount. Go see it, right now.

10/10
I really enjoyed reading this post. Great review.


Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old August 31st, 2009, 5:08 am
NumberEight  Male.gif NumberEight is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 3622 days
Posts: 1,915
Re: Inglourious Basterds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Yes because the internet is the only outlet of information these days.
Of course it isn't, but that is where most of it is, which is the point I was trying to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
It's not some obscure independent film, there's information everywhere about it (hell if there's information HERE all about it, there must be much more elsewhere).
Name exactly where, please.


Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old August 31st, 2009, 5:14 am
DML1991's Avatar
DML1991  Male.gif DML1991 is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 3598 days
Age: 26
Posts: 1,322
Re: Inglourious Basterds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTucker View Post
Name exactly where, please.
This thread.

Every movie board.

Every review about the film.


Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old August 31st, 2009, 5:18 am
NumberEight  Male.gif NumberEight is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 3622 days
Posts: 1,915
Re: Inglourious Basterds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML1991 View Post
This thread.

Every movie board.

Every review about the film.
All found online.


Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old August 31st, 2009, 8:36 am
DML1991's Avatar
DML1991  Male.gif DML1991 is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 3598 days
Age: 26
Posts: 1,322
Re: Inglourious Basterds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTucker View Post
All found online.
"hell if there's information HERE..."


Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old August 31st, 2009, 9:16 am
Hysteria's Avatar
Hysteria  Undisclosed.gif Hysteria is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 4993 days
Location: Far away from you...
Posts: 4,146
Re: Inglourious Basterds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTucker View Post
Of course it isn't, but that is where most of it is, which is the point I was trying to make.
Name exactly where, please.
I live in Adelaide, Australia. Population 1 million, give or take, a large portion being elderly people. Here I've seen it promoted on TV as well as reviewed on TV, articles, reviews and interviews in newspapers and magazines, discussed on radio and of course everything on the internet. If people want to go into a film blindly basing their expectations on a 1.5 minute trailer, they're bound to be disappointed eventually. Again, no sympathy.


__________________
liebe ist für alle da
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old August 31st, 2009, 9:20 am
Yoana's Avatar
Yoana  Female.gif Yoana is offline
Assistant to Minister Granger
 
Joined: 4554 days
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 35
Posts: 6,431
Re: Inglourious Basterds

In Sofia, Bulgaria (Eastern Europe) it's promoted on the streets by a truck with banners full of attractive young men in uniforms - among other things such as promotional materials, leaflets, magazine reviews and ads, etc.


Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old September 1st, 2009, 1:51 am
FleurDeLaPointe  Undisclosed.gif FleurDeLaPointe is offline
Banned
 
Joined: 3804 days
Posts: 328
Re: Inglourious Basterds

The way I see this film was that it is a film with an ensemble cast that has no main character or lead. To tell the truth I had my doubts of watching Brad Pitt talking his hayseed dialogue for 2+ hours and in hindsight Tarantino probably did the right thing presenting what he presented. Pitt and the Basterds would probably wear super thin 1/3 through the film if we were constantly bombarded by what is obviously a personality fit for a stock character.

The thing that appeals to me the most in this film is how Tarantino managed to make every encounter between ally and enemy so tense, you could cut it with a fork. You know the Jews in hiding are going to die, but it isn't the act that is disturbing, but the anticipation, the wait. You know that the 3 German speaking Basterds are going to be found out in the tavern, but you don't know when or how they'll slip up. Whereas other films would play up such encounters with far too many closeups of sweating brows, nervous eye twitches and music that holding your hand so tight you forget that it's supposed to be a tense moment, Tarantino does most of this with just dialogue and the weight of the situation.


Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old September 1st, 2009, 2:14 am
Hysteria's Avatar
Hysteria  Undisclosed.gif Hysteria is offline
Registered Animagus
 
Joined: 4993 days
Location: Far away from you...
Posts: 4,146
Re: Inglourious Basterds

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurDeLaPointe View Post
The way I see this film was that it is a film with an ensemble cast that has no main character or lead. To tell the truth I had my doubts of watching Brad Pitt talking his hayseed dialogue for 2+ hours and in hindsight Tarantino probably did the right thing presenting what he presented. Pitt and the Basterds would probably wear super thin 1/3 through the film if we were constantly bombarded by what is obviously a personality fit for a stock character.
I agree. I really liked Brad Pitt's character but would get sick of him if he'd been on screen for 2.5 hours. Another way this film is similar to Pulp Fiction.

Quote:
The thing that appeals to me the most in this film is how Tarantino managed to make every encounter between ally and enemy so tense, you could cut it with a fork. You know the Jews in hiding are going to die, but it isn't the act that is disturbing, but the anticipation, the wait. You know that the 3 German speaking Basterds are going to be found out in the tavern, but you don't know when or how they'll slip up. Whereas other films would play up such encounters with far too many closeups of sweating brows, nervous eye twitches and music that holding your hand so tight you forget that it's supposed to be a tense moment, Tarantino does most of this with just dialogue and the weight of the situation.
Agree again. I really liked how they got caught out in the bar. IMO a lesser film maker would have dropped some not so subtle hints, making them look like incompetent fools, but I like how Tarantino did it. Something I (and I'm assuming most of the rest of the audience) didn't pick up on.


__________________
liebe ist für alle da
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old September 2nd, 2009, 7:48 pm
Freak of nature's Avatar
Freak of nature  Female.gif Freak of nature is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5125 days
Location: Wasteland of dreams
Age: 32
Posts: 306
Re: Inglourious Basterds

I haven't seen the movie yet, but based on the trailer and all the discussion in this thread... it is worth seeing. I might change my mind after seeing it, but hey that's life. But for now, I am waiting for it to air here.


__________________

Like a wilful stray cat, full of pride and freedom... bearing wounds that can't be healed...
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:53 pm
SoulOfRebirth's Avatar
SoulOfRebirth  Male.gif SoulOfRebirth is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4753 days
Location: Your Past, My Future
Posts: 563
Re: Inglourious Basterds

Ordinarily I wouldn't have gone to see something like this, but I caved in to peer pressure. I am a hip youngster, after all.

I don't really know what I think. I'm not really a fan of Tarantino to begin with (like I said, ordinarily I would've avoided this movie like the plague), but by the time it was over I felt...I don't know. It was worth it. It was entertaining. I don't think it's a particularly good movie but I am somehow glad to have seen it.

One thing I will say, though...I pretty much detested the way it cut back and forth between characters. Or rather, I like the concept but I detested the characters that got the most screen time and I think the change in tone was too great for the movie to remain consistent. When the Basterds are on screen it's hilarious and brilliant. When they're not...well...I feel like it tries too hard to take itself seriously. And when you try to approach this as a "serious" film it looks completely pathetic, especially with such dramatically-charged subject matter as WWII.

In my eyes, the Basterds were brilliance (and I wish they showed up more frequently, and actually got a chance to do some things before half of the amusing ones got shot up in the dark), but everything else fell pretty flat. Except the villain. Man oh man, did I hate that guy by the end of the movie. So mission accomplished, there.

I don't know how to rate it. Some things were good and some things, while not necessarily "bad," just seemed like...wasted potential.


Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old September 11th, 2009, 1:06 pm
Tenshi's Avatar
Tenshi  Undisclosed.gif Tenshi is offline
She Who Walks Behind
 
Joined: 4854 days
Posts: 6,298
Re: Inglourious Basterds

Just came back from watching it and I have to say that I quite liked it. Landa was exceptionally good and creepy. Also Shosanna (sp?). I think those two made the movie. I don't think it was too long, actually I never felt bored. As I am German was I able to understand all of it and didn't had to rely on the subtitles (except for the French and Italian stuff). There was so much German in it, I wonder how they showed the movie in German cinemas. We usually put a voice over on every movie, but that wouldn;t work here.

And who gave Pitt that thick accent? It was hard to understand. But he was good though, didn't overplay his role.

I was more fond of the German actors though, except for Til Schweiger, but Waltz clearly did it for me and Bruehl.

I wonder if the "pointing three" mistake was noticed right away by non Germans. I almost screamed out that THAT is not the way Germans do it during the scene.


__________________


The End of the Dream.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old September 30th, 2010, 1:33 am
lcbaseball22  Male.gif lcbaseball22 is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 3801 days
Age: 30
Posts: 5,657
Re: Inglourious Basterds

While it's sad Tarantino's editor died...perhaps his films will improve, as most (IB a prime example) have horrendous editing/pacing issues.

BTW, if you hadn't heard the sad news, here's the press article- http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...fith-park.html


__________________



I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old September 30th, 2010, 2:22 am
IenjoyAcidPops's Avatar
IenjoyAcidPops  Male.gif IenjoyAcidPops is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 3920 days
Location: The Angry Dome
Age: 29
Posts: 1,728
Re: Inglourious Basterds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
While it's sad Tarantino's editor died...perhaps his films will improve, as most (IB a prime example) have horrendous editing/pacing issues.

WOW, could not disagree more. I'm sure Tarantino will find a great new collaborator, but Sally Menke was a tremendous talent; she will be missed.


__________________
Veronica Mars is smarter than me.
(And her movie is available now!)

Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old September 30th, 2010, 6:21 am
lcbaseball22  Male.gif lcbaseball22 is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 3801 days
Age: 30
Posts: 5,657
Re: Inglourious Basterds

Tarantino's films tend to be a mess of long boring stretches and then high octane scenes...there's no consistency and they don't flow well.

Case in point- The bar scene. Sit around the table talking for 30 minutes >> ridic minute or two shootout >> cut to another boring scene...

Maybe I'm blaming the wrong person, but I hang that on the editor.


__________________



I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old September 30th, 2010, 6:33 am
IenjoyAcidPops's Avatar
IenjoyAcidPops  Male.gif IenjoyAcidPops is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 3920 days
Location: The Angry Dome
Age: 29
Posts: 1,728
Re: Inglourious Basterds

Well, obviously I disagree, but (a) I'm guessing you never find QT's characters or dialogue (his two greatest strengths) involving, so, more importantly, (b) Tarantino's narratives are almost always complex, very non-linear, or both; you know they have to be incredibly challenging, to ensure that they're complex and interesting, but never confusing. That's one crucial level of success, because an editor doesn't just keep up a pace, but, more importantly, its structure. Another is that his films are so compelling, and his characters and situations so interesting; that great pull, that immersion, the way his movies have the same lure as a novel you just cannot put down, is in large part to Sally Menke's credit.


__________________
Veronica Mars is smarter than me.
(And her movie is available now!)

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old September 30th, 2010, 7:00 am
Rastaban43's Avatar
Rastaban43  Male.gif Rastaban43 is offline
Representative Homosexual
 
Joined: 4925 days
Location: chaos organisé
Age: 35
Posts: 4,107
Re: Inglourious Basterds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Maybe I'm blaming the wrong person, but I hang that on the editor.
Blame it on Tarantino. What you seem to despise about him, other people think is genius, including myself. Yeah, it's a different sort of pacing, but coming from a person who really hates long, poorly paced films, I couldn't be happier about the way Tarantino's films turn out. Menke was only the perfect match to Tarantino's intentionally super-saturated characters and dialogue, and it is sad she is gone, but he will continue to make the same kind of films with an editor who is compatible with his style, rest assured.


Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old September 30th, 2010, 3:27 pm
Bonta Kun's Avatar
Bonta Kun  Female.gif Bonta Kun is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4953 days
Location: Zooniverse
Posts: 1,108
Re: Inglourious Basterds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Tarantino's films tend to be a mess of long boring stretches and then high octane scenes...there's no consistency and they don't flow well.

Case in point- The bar scene. Sit around the table talking for 30 minutes >> ridic minute or two shootout >> cut to another boring scene...

Maybe I'm blaming the wrong person, but I hang that on the editor.

Wow I completely disagree with this- these are some of the things that I love about Tarantino films. Too many films these days rely on a lot of fast cuts and don't allow you to just get absorbed into a scene. I love long scenes of dialogue, it is like watching a play on screen, and when the action comes in it is like a sudden release of tension. In IB in particular, the bar scene and the opening scene with the jews under the floorboard are both extremely memorable and very well done. I knew what would happen, but the anticipation made the pay off that much greater. I think Tarantino is one of the best all-rounder film makers working today and as I had not particuarly liked Kill Bill (just not my kind of film) I was really glad that I enjoyed IB as much as Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown- all of which I really love.

Sally Menke was extremely talented and will be sorely missed. She has worked with Tarantino since Reservoir Dogs so it will be interesting to see whether there is a change in style in his next project- he may try and get an editor with a totally different style, or he may take the opportunity to try something different- we'll see.

Anyway, this thread is kinda old but since I never posted in it the first time around I will give my opinion of IB. Personally, I like this film the most out of all of his films since Reservoir Dogs (my personal favourite of his)- I'd say it is about as good as Pulp Fiction, maybe better- time will tell. Christoph Walz was particuarly fantastic, what a find- it is great to see how many role he got based on this film, I think he will be busy for many years to come! Oh, and I'm glad that Brad Pitt's character was not in the whole film- I think it would have got tiring. I wouldn't have really expected him to be even if I had seen the trailer (I hadn't when I watched it- actually I had seen no trailers, read no reviews or anything- all I knew was that it was to do with WW2) because it is extremely rare for Tarantino to concentrate on one character. Even in Jackie Brown, Pam Grier's character would often take a backseat while he concentrated on the rest of the cast. I also really respect that a big mainstream Hollywood film like this had the guts to have so many subtitles. Way too many people just don't bother with subtitled films (and they are missing some amazing non-English cinema if that is the case!) and don't know about anyone else but I find it ridiculous how frequently in films there will be two German (for example) characters speaking together in English


Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old September 30th, 2010, 3:58 pm
lcbaseball22  Male.gif lcbaseball22 is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 3801 days
Age: 30
Posts: 5,657
Re: Inglourious Basterds

Well, it depends on the film and the material. Like I would not say I typically have a short attention span or anything or else I probably wouldn't enjoy as many classic films as I do...and if I thought about it I'm sure I could come up with many examples of great films which are tediously paced and/or don't have much going on. In fact, my all time favorite film might be an example. I know quite a few who find Rear Window boring for some reason. Personally I don't need a bombastic film like Transformers or something to keep me entertained, but the plot should be moving forward, as in there needs to be some sort of action. I don't mean literal action like one thinks when you hear the words action movie though. See, classic film directors produced great films all the time without anything but a strong script/characters.

The problem with IB is just that Tarantino takes it to the extreme. I mean he has one scene of just talking for 30 freaking minutes and it's hardly advancing the plot. I get that he was trying to build suspense, but he over-milked the cow. He's definitely no Hitchcock or whoever. Now ultimately I think Inglorious Basterds pays off (admittedly the end of the film is pretty awesome) but the journey to get there is just too long and boring that I don't think I'd watch again. End of story.


In other news, Tony Curtis (an actor from arguably one of the best all around films ever made) is dead also. He lived a nice long life though.

Boy, sure are lots of people in the entertainment business dying the past couple days...seems like these things always happen in bunches

Some other notables deaths the past few days include Arthur Penn (director of Bonnie & Clyde) and Greg Giraldo (stand up comedian on TV)


__________________



I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; September 30th, 2010 at 4:56 pm.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 5:20 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.