Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Singer with the best vocals?

Old January 30th, 2011, 3:48 am
Third Year

Re: Singer with the best vocals?

Well these would have to be my personal favorites:

Male Vocalists:

1. Matt Bellamy - He gives me chills. And seriously, on songs like "Plug In Baby" and "New Born" I about die listening to him. Just trying to imitate his style is seriously challenging! I tried to sing "Plug In Baby" on Guitar Hero 5, and I failed epically at trying to sing as high as him! And plus he always sounds fantastic live.

2. Freddie Mercury - This one is a given. I know he's been mentioned like three billion times in this thread, but his voice is just too amazing to leave off my list.

3. Jared Leto of '30 Seconds to Mars' - I LOVE his voice! I can't say I've listened to enough 30 Seconds to Mars to say I'm a huge fan of the band, but hasn't anyone heard "Kings and Queens"!? The last line of the song is just breathtaking the way he sings it. Such control on a note that could sound extremely awful.

Female Vocalists:

1. Hayley Williams of 'Paramore' - I could listen to her voice all day! The way she sings just tells you that she is so into the song. Whenever I listen to a Paramore song it's like a music video is forming into my head because of Hayley's awesome vocals and the lyrics. And like 95% of the time she sounds just perfect live!

2. Christina Perri - Incase you don't quite know who she is, Christina Perri became famous because of her song "Jar of Hearts" that was featured on "So You Think You Can Dance". She may not technically be an amazing vocalist, but when I first heard this song it gave me such chills! It sounds like she's putting out her whole heart and soul into this one song. And she doesn't have one of those voices that can get high-pitched and slightly annoying; she has more of an alto voice.

3. Florence Welch of 'Florence + the Machine' - Just beautiful. If you haven't listened to her, please go out and do so now! And this is off topic, but I adore her hair! It fits her personality perfectly!

But besides my favorite singers, probably one of the best vocalists technically I've heard is Lea Michele. She's on 'Glee", so it may not seem so, but she's got one of those Celine Dion-esque voices. It seems when she's singing that she puts everything she's got into each song. (Ex. "Don't Rain On My Parade") I personally wish I could sing as well as her. The only complaint I would have about her voice is that when she hits those jaw-dropping high notes she tends to become a bit loud.

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2011, 5:16 pm
Third Year

Two words,
Freddie Mercury...

Old February 15th, 2011, 1:01 am
Fifth Year

On the males I'm going with Freddie Mercury, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and Billy Joel.

Females: Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Christina Aguilera, and Sierra Kusterbeck.

Old February 16th, 2011, 5:22 am
Second Year

Steve Perry of Journey hands down!

From beginning to end, I shall say it again. Twas nice to be amongst the most dearest of friends.-Brynn Ashleigh '11
Old February 16th, 2011, 3:03 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Kelli Ali from Sneaker Pimps

Sultry, sexy and vampish.

Old February 17th, 2011, 2:38 pm
First Year

Amy Lee of Evanescence
Sharon Den Adel from Within Temptation
Tori Amos
Sarah Brightman
Maynard James Keenan from Tool/A Perfect Circle
Freddie Mercury
John Lennon
Paul McCartney

Old February 20th, 2011, 4:23 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Sophie Ellis-Bextor

Old March 19th, 2011, 11:29 pm
Fourth Year

Adele definitely has some powerful vocals, she's one of those artists who absolutely shines singing live, as if the sheer power of her voice can't quite be captured in a recording. Stunning voice. Hayley Williams from Paramore has such a strong voice as well, and it's great to see somebody with such a powerful vocal singing rock kind of music not just ballads I think there's this idea that you can only have a great voice if you warble out a sad song. And Freddie Mercury doesn't need much explaining!

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old March 20th, 2011, 12:13 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopophorousBean View Post
Adele definitely has some powerful vocals, she's one of those artists who absolutely shines singing live, as if the sheer power of her voice can't quite be captured in a recording. Stunning voice. Hayley Williams from Paramore has such a strong voice as well, and it's great to see somebody with such a powerful vocal singing rock kind of music not just ballads I think there's this idea that you can only have a great voice if you warble out a sad song. And Freddie Mercury doesn't need much explaining!
I don't know about including Hayley Williams. She's very hit and miss live.

Old March 20th, 2011, 4:51 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
I don't know about including Hayley Williams. She's very hit and miss live.
I don't know about in concert, I haven't seen them live and only glimpsed bits on TV that I can't really remember, but I have a really nice live acoustic track on my ipod, a cover of the Kaiser Chief's song "Love's Not a Competition" which I think shows her strengths well I suppose with being a rock act there's a lot of energy and jumping about, so sometimes that isn't the best platform to show off great vocals.

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old March 21st, 2011, 6:08 pm
Fifth Year

Oh wow, I was just gonna say Haley Williams.. never seen her live though.
I don't think there's any one singer out there that blows my doors off, but among my favorites:

Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil. She has an amazing versatile voice, good range. Her pitch was shaking on one CD (Comalies) but otherwise dead on on others.

Peter Steele of Type O Negative had the deepest male rock vocal I've heard, the dude was built like a neanderthal, except he was 6'8"! Great voice. Unfortunately, he died about a year ago.

I liked Amy Lee's voice on Evanscence's first CD, but she got annoying on the second.

Mary Fahl has a most unqiue, deep, operatic voice.. I like her work in October Project.

I seem to prefer female voices, overall, but I'm really tired of the cookie-cutter, gospel-esque soul singing that permeates through American Idol. It's not original or creative or even emotive anymore, it's just technique.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 9:58 am
Registered Animagus

SopophorousBean that's kind of my point. Hit and miss. Everyone has 'off' days but whenever I've seen her live (I'm a music photographer, not a fan so I kinda feel I can be objective) she's been not so good. Maybe the Australian climate doesn't sit well for her? I don't know. I'd never say she wasn't a good singer, she must be, but being able to perform well consistently is important when judgining anyone being the 'best' at something. Just my opinion.

Grymmditch I'd agree about Cristina Scabbia. She's wonderful. Too bad she's brought down (IMO) by the other singer in LC.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 9:57 pm
Second Year

Hmm..Let's go with A.J. Mclean from the Backstreet Boys with best vocals He also has his own solo album/career on top of still being apart of the group. But yes, most definitely best vocals IMO.

From beginning to end, I shall say it again. Twas nice to be amongst the most dearest of friends.-Brynn Ashleigh '11
Old July 12th, 2011, 3:33 pm
First Year

charlie chapman - "i gotta million of em" or was it jesse chapman one of those dudes.

hmm scratch that i think harpo has the best vocals

hmm scratch that i think harpo has the best vocals

Old August 29th, 2011, 9:33 pm
Second Year

Singers I think have very good voices but don't necessarily enjoy their music:

Beyonce
Leona Lewis
Mariah Carey
Phil Collins (I hate the guy's music but got to admit he's got a cracking voice on him)

People whose voices may not be "the best" but who I really enjoy listening to:

Stevie Nicks, who has one of the most distinctive female voices still making music today and is an amazing songwriter to boot
Eddie Vedder (of Pearl Jam) the range and power this guy has is phenomenal, as well as the emotion he puts into every note
Rhett Miller (formerly of Old 97s) I just think his voice has such a lovely sound to it, I could listen to him sing all day.

Old August 29th, 2011, 9:39 pm
Second Year

Mika, that dude's got an incredible range. Amazing.

Adele, her voice is just awesome, I don't know how else to describe it.

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Old August 30th, 2011, 11:13 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Florence Welch of 'Florence + the Machine' - Just beautiful. If you haven't listened to her, please go out and do so now!
She was the first person on my mind when I saw this topic - I mean, her voice can evoke some serious chills in me, it is just incredible.

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Old August 31st, 2011, 1:34 am
Third Year

I agree about Freddie Mercury...his voice is so pure and perfect, also Billy Joel, and Paul McCartney, same thing. Those three I feel like could sing anything and do it perfectly.

Beyonce...yeah definitely. I don't like her or her music but she has a really great voice. Also Adele, whose music I really don't like--I think her voice is amazing.

*Nikky wanted a mention*
Old August 31st, 2011, 2:13 pm
Registered Animagus

Stephen Christian is the lead singer of one of my favourite bands, Anberlin. His voice is incredible, it sends chills up my spine!

Old September 2nd, 2011, 3:32 am
Third Year

Damian McGinty of the Irish group Celtic Thunder. His voice is vastly mature beyond his years (he's only 18) but even at age 14 he sounds incredible. He is also one of the rare singers who know how to perform and emote, rather than simply singing and hitting the right notes.

The same applies to Darren Criss. Especially when he gets into using his falsetto, which is pretty well developed. He's fantastic as far as I'm concerned.

Hufflepuff Pride
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)