Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Singer with the best vocals?

Old September 8th, 2009, 4:07 am
Registered Animagus

Re: Singer with the best vocals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Well, perhaps I need to listen to a few more Queen songs to be sure, but I think I've heard more than enough of that God awful music for a lifetime and obviously his voice didn't make a good impression. He's just another flamboyant guy with a high voice...not my thing
I don't mean to make assumptions but would it be fair to say you don't know a lot about Queen? They're not for everybody but I challenge anyone to come up with a convincing argument as to why Freddie Mercury doesn't have a good voice. Not liking something doesn't mean it isn't good. I dislike Beyonce but acknowledge she has a good voice.

Old September 8th, 2009, 6:14 pm
First Year

Quote:
Hmm, I don't know who this is...what band?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatifically
Michael Jackson is obviously on the list of the greatest singers of all time. Mariah Carey has a great voice but I'm not the biggest fan of her songs
Obviously? Err, no...he sounded like a pre-pubescent boy Agree on Mariah Carey, incredible voice but not a fan of her music.
On MJ belongiing on the list - definitely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvjy6MQr6fE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxLKf1YxYUc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFQzRBarU6Q

Agree on Mariah, though.

Last edited by mandrake; September 15th, 2009 at 8:31 pm.
Old September 8th, 2009, 6:41 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Cyndi Lauper: four-octave range and perfect pitch

Quote:
Though ironically every guy I know is reluctant to admit he listens to female artists and wouldn't be caught dead singing a woman's song.
Really? How odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatifically View Post
Freddie Mercury is my favorite. It's amazing that he's so talented at singing but he never had formal vocal lessons. That just makes him seem even greater in my eyes.
Freddy was a good singer but an outstanding performer.

Quote:
Michael Jackson is obviously on the list of the greatest singers of all time.
Above average talent, brilliant performer who was greatly assisted by Quincy Jones.

Quote:
I hate Queen, can't stand their sound. And I don't get why everyone seems to love that stupid Bohemian Rhapsody song
You're way to young to remember but when it came out the production of the song and the film-clip were revolutionary and just blew everyone away.

It's a little known fact that a cassette left in a car long enough will eventually turn into Queen's Greatest Hits.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old September 8th, 2009, 7:51 pm
First Year

I couldn't and still can't stand Queen, either. And at 43 I'm old enough to have experienced the release of "Bohemian Rhapsody" - one of the prime examples why I don't like Queen. I'm so not into that art rock thing.

I respect Freddie Mercury as a talented singer. He's just never touched me emotionally.

Another singer I personally liked a lot back in the 80s was Ronnie James Dio during his days with Rainbow and Dio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5asOv9Fh5gk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3VgV31vmUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhA-XXExobc

Old September 8th, 2009, 8:26 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
Another singer I personally liked a lot back in the 80s was Ronnie James Dio during his days with Rainbow and Dio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5asOv9Fh5gk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3VgV31vmUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhA-XXExobc
I forgot about him. one of my faves!

And they can try their hardest, cos they dont frighten me-Behind the Lines- Genesis
I'm sorry, I don't believe that Toilet Paper should have words on it.- me on Twilight
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.-George Carlin
There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.- George Carlin
I'd rather be a fan of Peter Pettigrew than a fan of Edward Cullen.-me, again on Twilight
"Live Long and Prosper."- Spock
Keep behind me. There's no sense in getting killed by a plant.- The Day of the Triffids
Old September 8th, 2009, 8:52 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItDark View Post
I forgot about him. one of my faves!
He had such a beautiful voice. So soft and warm in the ballads and so powerful in the rock songs. I saw him live twice in the late 80s/early 90. With Stargazer and Heaven and Hell he put every fire siren to shame He's still on stage at 65, you can watch the clips on youtube. His voice has gone deeper but still pretty impressive.

Last edited by mandrake; September 8th, 2009 at 8:54 pm.
Old September 8th, 2009, 9:02 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
He had such a beautiful voice. So soft and warm in the ballads and so powerful in the rock songs. I saw him live twice in the late 80s/early 90. With Stargazer and Heaven and Hell he put every fire siren to shame He's still on stage at 65, you can watch the clips on youtube. His voice has gone deeper but still pretty impressive.
to be that old, and still be onstage, is a....(trying to come up with the right words) great thing (only thing that has popped into my mind). i could have sworn he was in his 50s. ive seen the stuff on youtube, though some of the audio stinks, his voice is still kickin' ***.

And they can try their hardest, cos they dont frighten me-Behind the Lines- Genesis
I'm sorry, I don't believe that Toilet Paper should have words on it.- me on Twilight
There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.- George Carlin
I'd rather be a fan of Peter Pettigrew than a fan of Edward Cullen.-me, again on Twilight
Keep behind me. There's no sense in getting killed by a plant.- The Day of the Triffids
Old September 8th, 2009, 9:07 pm
First Year

I was wrong, actually, he's 67, I just looked it up: Born July 10, 1942 (age 67). (Wikipedia).
Yes, he's amazing. For me the best hard rock singer on the planet. As demonstrated by this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvjQkd5FuYY

Last edited by mandrake; September 8th, 2009 at 10:03 pm.
Old September 14th, 2009, 8:43 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

How could I have forgotten Yanka Rupkina of Trio Bulgarka?

Old September 20th, 2009, 3:13 am
First Year

Can I add Klaus Meine, frontman of the Scorpions, here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_lMNufI3hA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57CzNqgm8Fc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBjjPa25-Fw

Old September 20th, 2009, 8:08 pm
Second Year

how could i forget Klaus! oh goodness- i love the scorpions....

Old September 20th, 2009, 8:31 pm
First Year

To think they told this man he would never sing again and he should look for a career change in 1981. Go figure ... listen to him in "Send Me an Angel".

Old September 21st, 2009, 10:27 pm
Secret Keeper

I thought of another male vocalist- Rob Thomas

Perhaps not the best, but a great distinctive rock voice and he was/is the lead singer of one of my fav bands from the 90's, Matchbox 20

In recent years he has also gone solo and done very well, scoring a couple #1 hits and some other top 10's. This is an acoustic of his last #1-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igxBjFpkUXA&NR=1 - Rob has said that the song is in reference to his wife's auto-immune disease, aww

Oh, and I just heard this chick Leona Lewis perform on America's Got Talent the other night. My God, her voice is incredible! Apparently she's a big star in the UK who's gained wordlwide fame, but I hadn't heard of her. I don't care for her music, but I can't deny she has talent

Oh, and did I mention she is damn sexy too? Anyways, here is the performance I saw- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LrsXRg7ZM8

I find it so funny though how when she sings you would think she is American but then you hear her talk and it is uh...a British accent

But yeah, def have to add Leona Lewis to my previous list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22

Celine Dion
Martina McBride (she's been called the "Celine Dion of country music")
Carrie Underwood
Mariah Carey
Sarah McLachlan
Faith Hill
Shania Twain
Another country singer with an amazing voice is Trisha Yearwood, tend to forget her, she's overshadowed by her husband- Garth Brooks

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; September 21st, 2009 at 11:25 pm.
Old October 4th, 2009, 3:44 am
Secret Keeper

I have another country singer to add. I heard her on the radio yesterday and I can't believe I forgot to mention her before. She's not one of my favorites, but Alison Krauss has undeniably some of the best vocals. I'm really surprised nobody else has mentioned her yet either.

I mean, she's only one of the most awarded female vocalists of all time! For some reason her voice gives me chills, but it's angelic. Actually, her voice is like TOO feminine and soft and sweet...if that makes any sense and/or is possible Uh, just listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjsjZWlRVvo

She's perhaps more well known for her duets, such as Whiskey Lullaby with Brad Paisley and for her collaborative work with Robert Plant.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 4th, 2009 at 4:09 am.
Old October 5th, 2009, 4:33 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
How could I have forgotten Yanka Rupkina of Trio Bulgarka?
Thank you for saying this! I may be biased, but I think authentic Bulgarian folklore sounds astonishing in itself, and Rupkina's voice just shatters your world when you hear it performed by her.

Needless to say, my favourite female vocals are Bjork's

Old October 5th, 2009, 4:42 pm
Registered Animagus

My favourite female vocalists are Cristina Scabbia of Lacuna Coil and Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy. Angela is often mistaken for a male in terms of her singing voice. She really is unique. It's nice to see people breaking those boundaries once in a while.

Old October 5th, 2009, 5:59 pm
Fourth Year

Beyonce. Although I strongly dislike her, her songs too, she's got an awesome voice. I've heard her live performing Single Ladies, low-quality song but she still sounded great. (No, I'm not saying that the ones in my sig pic have higher quality songs(although I enjoy them more), but for Beyonce a song like Single Ladies is ridiculus to me )

Old October 6th, 2009, 5:39 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks_Animagus View Post
Beyonce. Although I strongly dislike her, her songs too, she's got an awesome voice. I've heard her live performing Single Ladies, low-quality song but she still sounded great. (No, I'm not saying that the ones in my sig pic have higher quality songs(although I enjoy them more), but for Beyonce a song like Single Ladies is ridiculus to me )
I mostly agree with this. I don't dislike her at all...but I don't care for much of her music. She does have an incredible voice however.

One song I actually really like of Beyonce's is "Halo"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70AgyIEnBRE But as for that "Single Ladies" song you mentioned, I completely agree. I posted this on a different thread concerning the vid for that song and the Kanye incident at the VMA's

Quote:
I had no clue what video Kanye was referring to as "one of the best videos of all time" so I looked it up. It wasn't the one I expected-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mVEGfH4s5g

Are you kidding me? I mean it's sexy, but def not a good music vid, let alone song. Other than 3 chicks dancing like strippers it's pretty bland. And I find the song awfully annoying. I really like Beyonce's song Halo, and assumed that was the vid referred to. If it had been then I could see making a case for it, but this one is vexing and too simple to deserve such a title. And Taylor Swift's vid had relevance at least.

And yes, I'm a country music fan but I'm not crazy about Swift like some of my buddies. She doesn't have the best vocals and I don't care for some of her songs but I think there is no denying her vid for You Belong With Me is unique, creative, and very deserving of VMA award

BTW, I don't mean to bash Beyonce. She's actually a real class act, with how she saved the VMA's giving up her speech so Taylor could finish and all and I have a lot of respect for her unlike someone else *coughKaynecough* Plus I think that Beyonce has a better voice, way better. But I assumed Kayne was referring to Halo, which is such an incredible song. As you can imagine I was quite shocked to find out the song in question was actually THIS. I'm sorry but between Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) and You Belong With Me, Taylor's vid is far superior.

Oh, another Beyonce song I don't mind listening to from time to time is "If I Were A Boy" but this one tends to get to me. I usually tear up when I think of all the women who are mistreated by other guys. Plus, it's just something about the way she sings it that evokes emotion.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 6th, 2009 at 6:02 am.
Old November 26th, 2009, 1:50 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

I loved this article in a British newspaper today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...-X-Factor.html

My favourite bits:

Quote:
Popular music is not about singing, and never was. If you insist on only hearing the most technically accomplished vocalists, go to the opera. Popular music is about the delivery of a song, with character and authority [...] It is about authenticity, the complete ownership of the lyric.

Old November 26th, 2009, 3:05 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
One song I actually really like of Beyonce's is "Halo"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70AgyIEnBRE
Link doesn't work - it says I have to log in or something. Anyway, I believe Beyonce has awesome vocals, but is wasting her time performing songs like Single Ladies and Beautiful Liar feat. Shakira while her voice deserves somethign better - like Halo, which is indeed great, and the same goes with her video-clips. I don't really appreciate them, maybe for their lack of creativity, you know, just Beyonce and two girls dancing lamely (see Single Ladies and Sweet Dreams video-clips, personally I found them a bit dull while she could have done something more creatitive to raise the video's AND song's quality too).

Quote:
I posted this on a different thread concerning the vid for that song and the Kanye incident at the VMA's
I found Kanye West's burst out unacceptable, ok, Beyonce's video might be better, but that doesn't justify what he did? After all what is he - a lawyer? xD (no offence Kanye West's fans! Just posting my opinion!) But I guess I wouldn't care so much if it was just for that vid, but he embarassed Taylor Swift while she took her very first award, and interupted her speech only to say that Beyonce should have won. After all, Taylor Swift deserved the award best, at least the You Belong With Me vid had a "plot". The "plot" in Beyonce's vid included her and two other girls dancing and that IMO automatically decreases the vid's quality and shows lack of creativity. While the Taylor Swift vid was kinda moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Needless to say, my favourite female vocals are Bjork's
Even tho I dislike her(I found her songs creepy xD), she has indeed awesome vocals. I love Amy Lee's from Evanescense vocals, and Taylor Swift's. The girl singing live sounds exactly as she does in the CD!

Quote:
Popular music is not about singing, and never was. If you insist on only hearing the most technically accomplished vocalists, go to the opera. Popular music is about the delivery of a song, with character and authority [...] It is about authenticity, the complete ownership of the lyric.
True. Also, nowadays, vocals are not so popular with the audience - a song to gain popularity need to be catchy, with great rhyme and lyrics that either are emotional and pass a message, or that make people cheerful and happy. Of course I don't really respect artists who can't sing at all (see Katy Perry), but a singer doesn't need to have e.g.Mariah Carey's flawless vocals to have lots of fans.

__________________________________________________ ____________

P.S.:Guys, hear those and compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC06CMBQLM0 (this from 0:15)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpKJ03z-haQ (this from the start)

First, it's Beyonce's Halo. The it's Kelly Clarkson's Already Gone. If you hear carefully, they start in those two songs is similar. Same with the rest of the songs. (Personally, I liked Kelly Clarkson's video-clip and song best, but whatev).

Now hear this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35s1UUkgnDY

Who do you think copied? Or do you believe no one copied? I hear people saying that Kelly Clarkson copied, but dunno.

Last edited by Tonks_Animagus; November 26th, 2009 at 3:34 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)