Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Writer's Notebooks

Old March 21st, 2010, 9:36 pm
First Year

Re: Writer's Notebooks

I know, right? I have a notebook, but I'm always leaving it somewhere. It's gotten to the point where some weird kid whose name I don't even know will walk up, hand me the notebook, give me the evil eye, and walk away. Half the school probably knows everything that's in it; that is, if they can read my handwriting.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:04 pm
First Year

I keep a moleskine journal with me where I write notes and plan out my stories; I write pretty much anything about my writing in there. There are extensive plot outlines, charts, lists, sketches, etc. I just started keeping it two days ago, and have two entries so faróbut they're long!

Come to think of it, I should probably write some more down soon...

Old May 9th, 2010, 12:37 pm
First Year

You don't have to write in it every day. Just when ideas come to you.

Old July 7th, 2010, 8:11 pm
First Year

I keep meaning to start carrying a notebook around with me - they're good for people watching if you, like me, use people-watching as inspiration for new characters - but I keep forgetting!

Old July 12th, 2010, 5:13 pm
Second Year

I always have a notebook and pen on me, or at least try to. Not only to catch any ideas I may get, but more so as a student of knowledge. You never know when or how knowledge will come to you, having a pen and paper on you helps you catch it.

Old July 12th, 2010, 7:45 pm
First Year

I carry a journal. When I get inspiration, I write about it in my journal. It is a public journal, so anyone can read it and if they like it, they can add comments in the back. It comes in really helpful. It has journal entries and paragraphs. I would be nowhere without my journal. I find it helpful to keep a notebook. I never go anywhere without it and it has helped me so many times.

Old August 2nd, 2010, 3:11 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Imago View Post
I had originally used a Moleskine notebook (LOVE THEM) but I eventually ended up switching over to a simple ruled notepad. Now I just fold the papers over to the back of the pad and keep them in place with a binder clip. It also helps because I don't feel so bad about ripping out a page or two if needed, whereas I used to avoid ripping a piece of paper from my Moleskine at all costs.
I'm the same way! I love using Moleskins, but I have grown more towards ruled composition notebooks as my favorite, mainly because they're a heck of a lot cheaper. I also hate ripping pages from them though.

I think having and actively using a writer's notebook is a must! They allow you to capture your more fleeting observances if you carry it around with you, which is what I normally do. I also use another one I keep at home to compile my random characters, poetic thoughts, plot ideas, etc. Then, whenever you are low on inspiration or looking for a character to fit a part in your story, just peruse it and something might fit the situation! I find both of mine extremely helpful.

Old August 4th, 2010, 3:27 am
Fourth Year

I have several. I use a different one for each story, that's my organization. Then I have one that has many ideas in it. I have a few that are brand new. They will one day be filled as well. If you don't have a cell phone or text message ability, then finding a notebook will do. It doesn't matter what size. Find what works for you. I don't know about carrying one around though. What if you loose it, or someone reads it and steals your ideas etc? It's up to you.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 2:18 am
First Year

I write poetry, songs, stories, pretty much everything. I keep a notebook in my room, one in my locker, one in my backpack, etc., so I'm prepared whenever inspiration strikes. I did this after I ended up writing a song on a napkin with a borrowed pen. Needless to say, that doesn't happen anymore.

PROUD GRYFFINDOR
Old September 3rd, 2010, 2:24 am
Second Year

Yes. If writing is your thing and you want to be a writer, ALWAYS HAVE A NOTEBOOK. It can be a composition book or a spiral bound one if that's what you like. But I suggest a leather book, or something with a cover that interests you, it could be inspiring. Keep it by your bed at night, and if you have an idea don't think "I'll write it in the morning" cause you won't remember it. TRUST ME.

I've written an entire story on my arms and legs once cause I had eyeliner but no notebook or pen ;D now I leave the eyeliner at home and always have the notebook and pen. It seems a little extreme, but when you have an idea you have an idea, and you can't lose it. I also record quick quips on my phone, for playback later, and that's a good way of taking notes.

Hope I helped. (:

www.wizardinglife.com

"What do you mean I'm not brave in bed?!"
-Harry Potter [OTP]

"Accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often."
-Albus Dumbledore [HBP]
Old May 13th, 2011, 2:29 am
First Year

I pretty much 3 subject notebooks from stores. I still have a 3 subject noteboook that has a green cover and havent had the time to write in it.

I would love to have a 5 Star 3 subject notebook but the 5 star brands they can get pretty expensive up to 6 bucks

Old May 13th, 2011, 6:04 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I finally started carrying around a notebook. It's small enough to fit in my purse. I haven't really used it, but I know it's there. I take that back. I did scribble some stuff in it on a recent car trip. I'm glad I started carrying it, though. I always have to have something to write on and with near me, even if I don't use it. If I don't have it near me that's when I want it. You know? I'll go on trips and when I'm away from home I'll be dying for a pencil and paper. I get the urge when I don't have something to write with.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old May 14th, 2011, 8:02 pm
First Year

I got 20 bucks left in my wallet. I should go and buy at least one or 2 3 subject notebooks from the Ben Franklin store downtown and squeeze in one of the 2 disc special edition DVD of Harry Potter Sorcerer's Stone or Chamber of Secrets

Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:29 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredMarauder View Post
You don't have to write in it every day. Just when ideas come to you.
It's my experience you can't just wait for ideas to come to you. Now I've only been working on a novel for three years, and it's probably still far from finished, but you must write every day, even if it's only a few sentences. If you wait for your Muse, you'll be waiting for a long time. The more often you write, the more often Inspiration seems to come. It's weird.

I have three notebooks, all of them on me at all times. I have three because two are full -- bits of the novel, notes of changes, and various diagrams of rooms I can't forget. In recent months, as the first draft has turned into the third draft, writing in the processor has become tough, so, most days, the notebook is the way I go, at Starbucks or in the park. Notebooks and pens have always been quite inspirational to me.

Happy writing, guys. It's a helluva journey.

- Brian

"Give yourself time to get better. Writing is really hard to master. You learn by failing over and over, but a lot of people don't care for that, thanks. I always wish new writers the greatest good fortune. It's a helluva journey--I'll tell you that."
--SUE GRAFTON

http://ggtd.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/423598896-6a3616dd82-o.jpg
Old July 21st, 2011, 6:13 pm
Second Year

My gosh, yes. I have so many notebooks (probably too many!), and each, in theory at least, have their own specific purpose. For example, one notebook is for doodling, one for a journal, one for random ideas, one for my novel, etc.
I think a lot, and I guess I feel as though the only way I can get those thoughts out is by writing them down in a notebook! I have a tiny little book in my purse as well; that's helpful if I'm out and I get a burst of inspiration.

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."
Old July 23rd, 2011, 3:34 am
Registered Animagus

Get your heads out of your notebooks and write.

I get an idea, name my lead character (the name might go through several incarnations), set up my word processing file, type in the title (which also might change along the way), type in a few notes about the lead, and then I start writing the story.

I keep notes as I add new characters right at the bottom of the doc so I have everything there for easy reference. Timelines are important, too, and I keep everything right in the same file.

When I'm finished for the day, I email myself the file (if I remember ) so I have a backup copy. Can't afford to lose all that work.

Get your heads out of your notebooks and write.

I get an idea, name my lead character (the name might go through several incarnations), set up my word processing file, type in the title (which also might change along the way), type in a few notes about the lead, and then I start writing the story.

I keep notes as I add new characters at the bottom of the doc so I have everything right in front of me for easy reference. Timelines are important, too, and I keep everything in the same file.

When I'm finished for the day, I email myself the file (if I remember ) so I have a backup copy. Can't afford to lose all that work.

One small notepad in my purse is all I need. Whatever I've jotted down goes right into the computer when I get home. If I don't type it in right away, I may lose it because I have a hard time reading my handwriting.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 5:26 pm
First Year

I've had around 30 notebooks so far and more are filling. I write everytime I feel like it, which means I write every day. I'm working on two fanfics right now and I've got separated notebooks for both. I just don't get any ideas when writing on computer only. Of course, I type on computer what I've written to the notebooks.

It's kind of exciting to see the notebooks filling themselves with text - and I like to read my old stories and see how much I've progressed in writing.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 6:56 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I've got so many notebooks! Paper makes me want to write even if it's silly scribbles. Most of my notebooks are notebooks my siblings and I used for school but didn't fill up. Paper doesn't go unused in my house. I've got a tablet PC now so I do less writing in my notebooks, but I've always got to have one in case inspiriation hits.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old July 24th, 2011, 4:33 am
First Year

I have too many notebooks. I use whatever piece of paper I can find to write down whatever comes into my head, whether it be a sketch or a character description or even a few sentences...Now I have to find them all eventually.

Old July 31st, 2011, 7:44 pm
First Year

Re: Writer's Notebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
Um the problem is I have most of my ideas in work, and as I work on a checkout I don't really get a chance to write things down. Elsewhere though I write them down
When I worked on a till, I would pull off some till roll and scribble my ideas on that! The only probelm was I'd end up leaving it in my pocket and the washing machine would gobble it up! After one too many incidents, i finally bought a small 'black and red' reporters notepad and kept that in my fleece jacket in work. When I was in between customers or it was a quiet afternoon, I would pull it out and just scribble away! There is always a way to get your ideas down!

I find that when I am not activly writing creativly, my writing juices dry up, and it can take me a while to get back into a good writing rhythm!

Write every day! - even if it's just a few words or a few thousand, squeeze something out, be it the next page of your current project or the opening (or ending) to something new! A random scene from an idea you never knew you had, or a stream of consciousness exercise for 10 minutes over tea and toast. Carrying a notebook means you can do it anywhere!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner