Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Writer's Notebooks

Old July 26th, 2009, 8:01 pm
First Year

Writer's Notebooks

do any of you fabulous writers keep "writer's notebooks?"

I want to start writing, & i've heard of these notebooks and they seem like a great idea, sooooooo i was wondering if any of you keep them? And how do you organize/set them up?

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:44 am
Second Year

Re: Writer's Notebook?

I have a notebook too. Every idea that passes through my brain I write it down.

Old July 27th, 2009, 5:17 pm
Secret Keeper

i'm very good at remembering things, but since i have an itouch, i just use the notes feature

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old July 27th, 2009, 7:14 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I don't carry a notebook. I've thought about it and it would be good, but I don't like carrying a lot of things on me. I have gotten to carrying my purse more, so maybe I'll start with the notebook. What I do right now is type things into the notepad section of my cellphone. I think a real notebook would be better, though.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old July 28th, 2009, 4:17 pm
Sixth Year

I have tons of notebooks with my stories in them, most of them being fan fiction. However, it's the best thing to do if you want to write at all. Sometimes, I'm tempted to buy more notebooks because I know some of my other ones will run out soon.

Old July 28th, 2009, 5:54 pm
Suteki da ne

Um the problem is I have most of my ideas in work, and as I work on a checkout I don't really get a chance to write things down. Elsewhere though I write them down

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old August 2nd, 2009, 4:11 am
First Year

Yes, I try to always keep a notebook on me to write random thoughts down and any ideas I may get. However, I also always keep a good book on me.

"If you don't have the time to read, then you don't have the time (or tools) to write" -Stephen King.

"Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder"
Old August 3rd, 2009, 9:04 pm
Fourth Year

i always have a notebook on me...i collect quotes as well as write, so it comes in handy for both things. lately, though, it's been used for me to write down reminders to myself, which is sad

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old September 11th, 2009, 7:35 am
First Year

Re: Writer's Notebooks

definitely a notebook, and it has inside clipped, napkins, tissue paper, random scraps of paper. Along with writing inside as well. It makes the book really messy cos when you dont have a pen to write you really reach for anything, lipstick, matches, gravy from steak at times even using paint, pastels really anything.

Old September 12th, 2009, 12:46 am
do you want fries with that?

I carry a notebook sometimes. When I was in high school, I carried it everywhere. I would write down not only story ideas, but also thing such as names/locations and other such small details. I don't have as much time for a notebook or writing anymore, but it was useful back then.

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old September 12th, 2009, 9:27 pm
Sixth Year

I never carry a notebook - I use my mobile phone and write myself a text message if I get an idea while I'm out

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:58 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

This thread made me think of Poemcrazy by Susan G. Wooldridge. It's a wonderful book for all writers, not just poets. In it she talks a lot about being inspired by your daily life, finding inspiration in the world around you. She talks a lot about her writer's notebook. It's a good read.

Old September 15th, 2009, 4:33 am
Registered Animagus

I used to use my PDA to write when I was away from home, but didn't really use it for notes. Since I write historicals, I do my research for the period and put it in a 3-ring binder.

I always carry a notebook anyway. Seems I frequently need paper and pen to write down something ... phone numbers, grocery lists, whatever. I keep notepaper beside my netbook because it's a sure thing that as soon as I turn it off, I'll think of something I should have put in.

Old October 4th, 2009, 11:46 pm
First Year

I carry a small one with me everywhere for the sake of portability, and I've gone through quite a few. But without something to scribble in I'd be lost.

Old October 12th, 2009, 10:51 pm
Second Year

i have a notebook, which i fill with poems, and story ideas, and quotes, but i don't carry it around with me everywhere. when i get an idea, i just take out my cellphone, and write a text message, and then save it as a draft. then when i go home, ill just copy it down into my notebook. i don't carry around my notebook everywhere, for the fear i might lose it, or that someone, weather it be sister, or friends take a peak in it..which would be a traumatic experience for me..i gotta lotta private stuff in there!!!

July 15,2011
<33333333333

Wit Beyond Measure is Mans Greatest Treasure
Old October 24th, 2009, 9:30 am
Third Year

I had originally used a Moleskine notebook (LOVE THEM) but I eventually ended up switching over to a simple ruled notepad. Now I just fold the papers over to the back of the pad and keep them in place with a binder clip. It also helps because I don't feel so bad about ripping out a page or two if needed, whereas I used to avoid ripping a piece of paper from my Moleskine at all costs.

As another post said, don't worry about organization. When you try to organize, you really only get in the way of your own creativity. Some of the best ideas I've had have come from the sloppiest, most disorganized pages. They came out when I just decided to write something down without concern for order or clarity. It's a great feeling to have that kind of freedom while writing.

I really hope you find something that works just right for you!

- Inigo

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Old October 25th, 2009, 3:08 pm
Second Year

I normally keep a composition book for ideas I get that I might want to write later.

I also write my drafts of my poems in them as well and then write the finished version on regular paper or print it on paper.

Journals are good to have to remember all the ideas and brainstorm stories or poems down.
I recommend it!

Old October 25th, 2009, 4:06 pm
Second Year

You just asked the right question...

I do have notebooks, lots of them cuz I write, I draw and for worse I write diaries too

And all those notebooks are very important, I mean I will not get rid of them.

I have lots of notebooks and really I don´t know what I will do with all of them...
Becoz they are my diaries, I writes diaries, and my biggest problem if that i don´t want any one to read them ever

Honestly if I have to move, to some other place other country, I have the big problem of my notebooks... really I prefer to stay home with my stuff than to move...and thats not good if I have any oportunity.

Well, in my writtings I use notebooks to write ideas, the sketch of the stories.
Then I work on it in the computer with more details and organize them...

But anyways it is a big mess many times, really XD

Old October 26th, 2009, 2:27 am
Fourth Year

I keep a half a dozen or so. When I get inspiration I make sure I have something with me to write it down in. All of them have something in them. Not completed, but started or half way there. I don't really organize them. I just leave them as they are.

Old December 17th, 2009, 7:01 am
First Year

I think I might try keeping one to see how it works out. I usually get lots of ideas, but it also depends on what i'm doing. If only I could spend my PE period writing! XD

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner