Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Controversial Lyrics

Old September 18th, 2009, 3:03 pm
Third Year

Re: Contriversial Lyrics

I think it's a bit odd, that 'Lovegame' and 'Don't Stop the Music' by Rihanna are nearly saying the same thing, with more sexual refrences in the former, and yet no one cares about the latter.

I can't say that I know of any truly controversial lyrics, considering people get into an uproar about any and everything these days.

CoS|Pottermore
ThestralStorm121 is two sides of a coin.
Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2009, 2:16 am
Third Year

I hate the censorship in "Don't Stop the Music" on my little sister's Kids Bop CD:

Original lyrics: "We're on the dance floor acting naughty"
Censored lyrics: "We're on the dance floor acting crazy"

I understand why it's censored, seeing as it's an album geared towards children, but if you're going to ruin the whole song by censoring it like that, I don't think it should be put on the album.

I really don't like 3OH!3's latest song, "Starstrukk". (Really stupid song and spelling!) It makes women look like they are these people going out and dressing a certain way just to get attention from men. I know it's a very stupid and immature band, but I don't understand why the have to keep making women look the way they do in the song.

Old November 16th, 2009, 3:37 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackAttack View Post
There was this song I hated that was played on the radio a lot two summers ago by Saving Abel called "Addicted." If you look up the lyrics you'll see why it's controversial. It was really awkward when it would come on and other people were in the car...
That song is AWESOME!

I just heard it while scanning the radio the other day (I thnk for the first time since I've mainly listened to country radio the past few years)

But yeah, I can see why it's kinda controversial. And apparently their original music vid for the song had shots of topless women in it.

I was surprised the song wasn't censored but glad because the radio edit isn't as good, IMO. According to the wiki article for the song-

Quote:
The original lyrics of the song are "I'm so addicted to all the things you do / When you're going down on me in between the sheets", whereas the radio edit lyrics are "I'm so addicted to all the things you do / When you're rollin' 'round with me in between the sheets".

BTW, I dunno about lyric wise...but check this music video out-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHuzRuFQFo0

Gotta be one of the most controversial I've ever seen, but I find it highly amusing. It's really shocking for country music especially.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 16th, 2009 at 3:45 am.
Old November 16th, 2009, 8:56 am
Jessica and lanifiel's Lackey

Hey, guys, I realize that the nature of this thread lends itself toward the more un-family-friendly songs out there, but if we could keep the quoting of such lyrics to a minimum so that our younger members can be spared the crass before their time, it would be much appreciated.

Also, be careful when linking to youtube videos that might not be family-friendly or have comments that are not family-friendly as they are against the forum rules.

Let's play nice, my pets. ~ Why I can't rub things in. ~ Search Engine - You're Doing It Right! ~ Questions? Ask here, but remember: Search Engine!

Old November 20th, 2009, 10:20 am
Sixth Year

The Sean Kingston song "Beautiful" sort of caused some controversy amongst some people who took offense at the part 'they'll have you suicidal". But I don't think it's such a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbledores1fan View Post
I hate the censorship in "Don't Stop the Music" on my little sister's Kids Bop CD:

Original lyrics: "We're on the dance floor acting naughty"
Censored lyrics: "We're on the dance floor acting crazy"

I understand why it's censored, seeing as it's an album geared towards children, but if you're going to ruin the whole song by censoring it like that, I don't think it should be put on the all
They should just bleep off the word, like Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend" clean edit.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old November 21st, 2009, 12:09 am
Sixth Year

Any Eminem song can be considered offensive/controversial. I, personally, like to listen to his songs but I can completely understand why other people hate his music: even his 'tame' songs contain very offensive lyrics.

I'm sure there are maaaany others that can at least agree with that.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old November 21st, 2009, 3:00 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2456 View Post
They should just bleep off the word, like Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend" clean edit.
That would make it soo much better! Even my little sister hated it, and she's the one that bought the CD!

I love the fact the Kids Bop tries to make albums for kids, but they always ruin the songs when they put them on the CD and they're sung by children.

Old November 21st, 2009, 5:04 am
Second Year

Beautiful by Sean Kingston definately caused controversy with me, I didn't get it all, and still don't get how it could be a HIT!

won't be easy to do
are you this restless too?

Insomniatic-Aly and Aj = Best Song Ever

Old November 21st, 2009, 5:37 am
Sixth Year

I don't know, in a weird, way, I liked Beautiful! It was quite catchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbledores1fan View Post
That would make it soo much better! Even my little sister hated it, and she's the one that bought the CD!

I love the fact the Kids Bop tries to make albums for kids, but they always ruin the songs when they put them on the CD and they're sung by children.
I would have liked that when I was a kid! The closest thing I had when I was very little was the Tarzan and Jane Toybox CD. My mom got me the music video version, so I could see the behind the scenes and stuff like that.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)

Last edited by MC2456; November 21st, 2009 at 5:41 am.
Old November 21st, 2009, 1:58 pm
Fourth Year

All Lady GaGa's song are controversial I suppose. Never liked them.

Old November 22nd, 2009, 11:22 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks_Animagus View Post
All Lady GaGa's song are controversial I suppose. Never liked them.
Not really. The only one that pops into my mind is "LoveGame", for ovbious reasons.

I haven't actually listened to every single song she's made, but "Just Dance", "Poker Face", and "Paprazzi" definitely weren't controversial at all. Maybe the "Paparazzi" music video, or her performance at the VMA's because she used people in wheelchairs who weren't actually handicapped, and I know a few people who were upset about that because they said she shouldn't have used it, saying that it was "degrading" to handicapped people.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 4:32 am
Registered Animagus

Sexual doesn't automatically mean it's controversial. I think these days we have tougher standards of what is and what isn't controversial. Lady Gaga merely scrapes the surface IMO.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:51 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

^I agree. It can be completely-mundane sexual, and it can be ban-worthy sexual depending on lyric content and/or video. But I don't think that adds to or takes from a song's worth.

Old January 5th, 2012, 3:12 am
First Year

Well, the first one that comes to mind is the song Judas by Lady Gaga.

Old February 13th, 2012, 9:42 am
Fourth Year

i can remember when Frankie Goes To Hollywood released Relax and it was banned by the BBC.....

And some years later it featured on a suncream commercial.... so what is considered offensive has obviously changed..

Old March 20th, 2012, 12:32 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Re: Controversial Lyrics

@ yorkiedoodle: Definitely.

On a side note, I'm not sure if this song would be considered controversial, but Sweet Dreams (are made of this) by the Eurythmics is rather risqué lyrics wise.

I'm surprised that it got past the radio censors. Yes it doesn't have any swearing in it, but some of the themes are rather adult...

Heck I liked the song when I was younger, didn't even noticed the adultness of the song itself... don't think the radio people did either .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old March 21st, 2012, 8:30 pm
Sixth Year

Sweet Dreams seems pretty tame to be honest.

"Its your duty" by Lene is a pretty controversial one. No swearing or any explicit words but the adult theme is pretty obvious if you follow the lyrics for a bit. I actually like the song but I would turn down the volume if my parents were anywhere near when I was a kid. There was a time when it would be played every now and then on the russian radio. My parents would pay more attention to the english songs because they didn't know russian much.

Old March 21st, 2012, 11:37 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
Sweet Dreams seems pretty tame to be honest.

"Its your duty" by Lene is a pretty controversial one. No swearing or any explicit words but the adult theme is pretty obvious if you follow the lyrics for a bit. I actually like the song but I would turn down the volume if my parents were anywhere near when I was a kid. There was a time when it would be played every now and then on the russian radio. My parents would pay more attention to the english songs because they didn't know russian much.
Yea it is, but still, I'm kind of surprised that it slipped by them though.

I guess it's in part that the song itself is implied rather than overt.

That song definitely is adult. No implying by any stretch of the imagination.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old September 14th, 2012, 12:26 pm
Second Year

I'm surprised there isn't more metal lyrics on here. Every conservative and politician are always complaining about those, especially Al Gore's wife who came up with the "Filthy 15".

I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?
Old September 14th, 2012, 4:26 pm
Seventh Year

I've always been disturbed by Katy Perry's song ET, especially the version with Kanye West (some radio stations play the sans Kanye version). For the most part the song doesn't bother me, the radio-edit version without Kanye is kind of fun. The part the freaks me out is the end of the middle Kanye refrain from "I'm gon' disrobe you..." and on... no. That's just wrong. Gives me the heeby-jeebies.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)