Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Controversial Lyrics

Old July 25th, 2009, 12:41 pm
Third Year

Controversial Lyrics

This thread is abot discussing lyrics that aren't exactly contriversial, but not everyone agrees on.

My mom, for example does not like the lyrics to "LoveGame" by Lady Gaga, or the lyrics to "Don't Trust Me" by 3OH!3.

If you know any more contriversial lyrics, put them here!

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2009, 3:33 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Re: Contriversial Lyrics

Interesting topic.

I think it depends on what audience the music is aimed at. I'm no prude and some of the music I like is littered with four-lettered words or very sexually explicit lyrics. I think that's fine if you're a cult indie band whose target audience is 15+. But it really disturbs me when I see 8-year-olds in public singing songs about being "horny" or "shaking your ****". Basically, I'd prefer it if music that is marketed at a mass, mainstream chart audience were family-friendly.

I'm also not happy about lyrics which are misogynist, homophobic or derogatory of other minority groups, although sometimes an apparently misogynist song can be ironic or trying to raise awareness or provoke debate, so I don't think it's possible to say that people shouldn't write lyrics about violence against women.

Old July 25th, 2009, 4:34 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

If an artist doesn't ruffle a few feathers during their career they're not trying hard enough. (Although those who provoke for provocation's sake tend to be tedious, yes, Lars von Trier, I'm looking at you.)

However, often the most innocuous seeming songs can be controversial Billy Joel's "Only the Good Die Young" was languishing in the charts until it was banned from being played on the radio station of a Catholic university in NJ. Billy Joel wrote a letter to the archdiocese asking them to ban his next record. It was again pulled from Clear Channel Communications playlists after 9/11.

Bruce Springsteen's "American Skin" led the New York Fraternal Order of Police to call for a boycott and overtime bans at his concerts in NY.

Even Rosemary Clooney has been banned for controversial lyrics.

And no subject should be off limits.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old July 25th, 2009, 4:35 pm
Second Year

Why did bush knock down the towers Jadakiss - Why

This was controversial because some people that Jadakiss should be sued for slander.

There are several lyrics from some rappers that have brought controversy. usually lyrics that are anti-white or anti-police.

Old July 26th, 2009, 2:02 pm
Registered Animagus

I don't listen to rap (which has a rather bad reputation for violent lyrics) but I do listen to metal which has often been the scapegoat for when things go bad (think Marilyn Manson, Rammstein amongst others when there's a school shooting). I really do not think these reputations are deserved. Rammsteins lyrics especially (if you know German or have Googled translations) are very sexual and violent but in none of the songs I know if do they encourage violence. Marilyn Manson looks different, has a history of drug abuse and sings a few touchy songs but is nothing to be concerned with.
The only controversial band I listen to (as in, I feel that their tag as 'controversial' is deserved) is Cannibal Corpse. As far as I Know, for a while the Australian government actually banned them from touring here (same with Eminem) but they were just here so someone must have changed that.

When Disturbed's latest album (Indestructible) came out I had a rather lively argument with someone online about whether it was pro or anti-war (I said it was anti-war as the title song was quite obviously (to me, anyway) ironic)) but that album is hardly widespread enough to be deemed controversial.

Old July 26th, 2009, 2:39 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
When Disturbed's latest album (Indestructible) came out I had a rather lively argument with someone online about whether it was pro or anti-war (I said it was anti-war as the title song was quite obviously (to me, anyway) ironic)) but that album is hardly widespread enough to be deemed controversial.
Political lyrics are always a rich field for controversy and debate. You just have to look at the long-running battle between artists like Bruce Springsteen and the GOP which has, since the mid-80s, attempted to co-opt his songs for their campaigns.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old July 27th, 2009, 3:37 pm
Third Year

Alot of people I know don't like the lyrics to "Don't Trust Me" by 3OH!3, because they use the term "h*" in the song to describe a girl. Alot of women don't like it because they feel like they're saying all women are like that. Personally, I always thought that they were describing the one particular girl in the song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
Interesting topic.

I think it depends on what audience the music is aimed at. I'm no prude and some of the music I like is littered with four-lettered words or very sexually explicit lyrics. I think that's fine if you're a cult indie band whose target audience is 15+. But it really disturbs me when I see 8-year-olds in public singing songs about being "horny" or "shaking your ****". Basically, I'd prefer it if music that is marketed at a mass, mainstream chart audience were family-friendly.
Thanks!

I agree with that statement completely. I always gasp when I hear some of the music young kids are listening to or singing in public. Young kids, in my opinion, should not listen to some of the music that is played on popular music stations today.

Last edited by dumbledores1fan; July 27th, 2009 at 3:45 pm.
Old July 28th, 2009, 5:44 am
Registered Animagus

^ I think in the grand scheme of things, the 'h' word you're referring to is pretty tame. I've never heard of the band you mentioned but that word seems to be used by rap artists and 'emo' (for lack of better term) bands who are trying to look tough without saying anything all that offensive.

I don't think I've ever heard a 'controversial' song on mainstream radio (maybe after 11pm on certain shows but you only listen to those if you like the music). The closest (recently) would be 'Love Game' by Lady Gaga and even that isn't all that controversial IMO. I thought it was funny, and just quite bad.

Old July 28th, 2009, 1:10 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
^ I think in the grand scheme of things, the 'h' word you're referring to is pretty tame. I've never heard of the band you mentioned but that word seems to be used by rap artists and 'emo' (for lack of better term) bands who are trying to look tough without saying anything all that offensive.

I don't think I've ever heard a 'controversial' song on mainstream radio (maybe after 11pm on certain shows but you only listen to those if you like the music). The closest (recently) would be 'Love Game' by Lady Gaga and even that isn't all that controversial IMO. I thought it was funny, and just quite bad.
I agree, I always thought the 'h' word was tame compared to other words artists can say.

Yes, "LoveGame", "Don't Trust Me", and "Right Round" are pretty much the most controversial songs on mainstream radio as of now.

Old August 1st, 2009, 8:51 am
First Year

I for one am mostly against censorship in music, the only exception being 3 or 4 curse words which, while I find everyday, I understand are still extremely derogatory in the mind of others.

One of the most controversial that comes to mind for me is The Cure's - Killing An Arab. While I feel this a great, emotionally chilling song, others find it simply unnecessary and it's managed to be the subject of heavy debate over a 30 year period. It's based off the book 'The Stranger' by Albert Camus.

Last edited by envisionlfe; August 1st, 2009 at 8:53 am.
Old August 1st, 2009, 9:06 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by envisionlfe View Post
I for one am mostly against censorship in music, the only exception being 3 or 4 curse words which, while I find everyday, I understand are still extremely derogatory in the mind of others.
I think the most ridic is when it comes to the censoring on country radio stations. They try to keep a clean image and it's just silly at times

2 Examples-

1. Looking for a Good Time- Lady A

Original Lyrics- Would you get the wrong impression if I called us a cab right now

Radio Edit- Would you get the wrong impression if I asked you to dance right now

Apparently they say the orginal lyrics have more implication of a one night stand

2. All Summer Long- Kid Rock

Original Lyrics- And we were smoking funny things

Radio Edit- And we were ____ funny things (it's not really "bleeped out", but it is inaudible, like he's saying it with his lips closed )

It's incredibly stupid considering the songs on other stations- like Something In Your Mouth (we all know what's implied here) by Nickelback

That's one song however, I am ashamed to admit I like. Another being Crazy ***** by Buckcherry, which obviously has controversial lyrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbledores1fan View Post
Alot of people I know don't like the lyrics to "Don't Trust Me" by 3OH!3, because they use the term "h*" in the song to describe a girl. Alot of women don't like it because they feel like they're saying all women are like that.
Yeah, hence why I'm ashamed to listen to those couple TRUE controversial songs I mentioned above. As for the song you mentioned...I don't care for it. I think it sounds stupid...and yeah, degrading towards women. I typically don't listen to songs like this, with a few exceptions

On another note, fyi one of the most controversial songs of all time doesn't even have vulgar lyrics...people just thought it did. The FBI investigated it even! I'm talking of course about "Louie Louie" by the Kingsmen. A song believed to be obscene in the US in the 60's

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; August 1st, 2009 at 9:34 am.
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:12 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

The most controversial I can think of now is Kate Bush's The Kick Inside - about a girl who was raped by her brother and falls pregnant.

Another one of hers, Heads We're Dancing, is about a woman dancing with a mysterious charmer, who turns out to have been Hitler.

I like innuendo in lyrics though, I like it very much - like in World In My Eyes by Depeche Mode for example. I also don't mind sexually explicit lyrics if they're good - as is the case with Cocoon by Bjork.

But I think there's a difference between controversial and simply obscene for the sake of it.

Last edited by Yoana; August 1st, 2009 at 11:19 am.
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:37 am
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by envisionlfe View Post
I don't know. If I had young children, I think I would rather they listened to songs that had the occasional curse word (used as an expression of real anger or disgust, about something that is disgusting) than listen to (and watch the videos to) music that promotes the idea that women are merely sex objects - the latter seems to be routinely served up as family friendly these days.

I'm not advocating censorship, but I think that radio and TV shows that are specifically targeting the under-12s and bands who are aggressively targeting that demographic as part of a conscious marketing strategy have a responsibility to monitor their content more than they do.

If children happen to hear sexually suggestive songs on a daytime show that is aimed at adults, though, I think it's the parents' responsibility, not the broadcaster's.

Censorship is often counter-productive, though - e.g. when "Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood was banned from airplay by the BBC in the 80s (on account of its sexual content) it was already sliding down the singles chart. After it was banned, it shot right up again and was No. 1 for several weeks.

Quote:
One of the most controversial that comes to mind for me is The Cure's - Killing An Arab. While I feel this a great, emotionally chilling song, others find it simply unnecessary and it's managed to be the subject of heavy debate over a 30 year period. It's based off the book 'The Stranger' by Albert Camus.
Yes, I believe that, after signing The Cure, Hansa Records dropped them before they'd released anything, because they couldn't handle material like that. But that's one piece of "censorship" I'm quite pleased about, as Japan (one of my favourite bands) ended up getting their first recording contract a result - Hansa signed them in The Cure's place.

The problem with any art form is that sophisticated work is open to misinterpretation. There were people who avoided The Cure because they thought it was a racist song. Even worse, there were people who got into The Cure because they thought it was a racist song. But you can't legislate on the basis of idiots, which is why I generally disapprove of censorship.

Quote:
Posted by Yoana
The most controversial I can think of now is Kate Bush's The Kick Inside - about a girl who was raped by her brother and falls pregnant.
I wonder how Paddy felt about that one

Quote:
But I think there's a difference between controversial and simply obscene for the sake of it.
Definitely.

Last edited by Melaszka; August 1st, 2009 at 3:02 pm.
Old September 10th, 2009, 2:16 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigga View Post
Why did bush knock down the towers Jadakiss - Why

This was controversial because some people that Jadakiss should be sued for slander.

There are several lyrics from some rappers that have brought controversy. usually lyrics that are anti-white or anti-police.
Trust me, there have been far worse things said about bush...

My wand! Made by Christian Mills (captain_mills) from the Mills Family Wand Company.
Click here to see more pictures.
Old September 10th, 2009, 4:46 am
Second Year

What Was the Filthy Fifteen?

In 1985, led by Tipper Gore, the Parents Music Resource Center compiled a list of offensive rock songs - the so-called “filthy fifteen." The PMRC then sent the list to music industry execs, demanding both a rating system for lyrics and the application of warning labels - deemed “Tipper Stickers” by some - on albums. The filthy fifteen contained everything from Top 40 hits by Cyndi Lauper to Venom’s subterranean metal, and the PMRC provided its own key to each song’s offensive content. Before long, everyone was asking, “Could Junior be corrupted by the Mary Jane Girls?”

1. Prince - "Darling Nikki" (1984)

2. Sheena Easton - "Sugar Walls" (1984)

3. Judas Priest - "Eat Me Alive" (1984)

4. Vanity - "Strap On Robby Baby" (1984)

5. Motely Crue - "*******" (1983)

6. AC/DC - "Let Me Put My Love Into You" (1983)

7. Twisted Sister - "We're Not Gonna Take It" (1984)

8. Madonna - "Dress You Up" (1984)

9. W.A.S.P. - "Animal/F**k Like A Beast" (1984)

10. Def Leppard - "High 'N Dry" (1981)

11. Mercyful Fate - "Into the Coven" (1983)

12. Black Sabbath - "Trashed" (1983)

13. The Mary Jane Girls - "In my House" (1985)

14. Venom - "Possessed" (1985)

15. Cyndi Lauper - "She-Bop" (1983)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Songs for Swinging Censors

There were chuckles when the PMRC delivered the titles of its filthy 15 back in the mid-80s. Some of the tunes were by utterly obscure artists, and others weren’t overly provocative at all. But rock has had its hips thrusting and tongue cursing from the early days. Since Little Richard declared that Miss Molly sure "likes to ball," the music has found ways to express mankind’s baser instincts and political opinions - and of course it’s gotten into hot water for doing so. We present our own overview of records that made parents, priests and politicians hot under the collar.

1. Ray Peterson - "Tell Laura I Love Her" (1960)

2. The Kingsmen - "Louie, Louie" (1963)

3. The Byrds - "Eight Miles High" (1966)

4. Janis Ian - "Society’s Child (Baby I’ve Been Thinking)" (1967)

5. The Rolling Stones - "Let's Spend the Night Together" (1967)

6. The Velvet Underground & Nico - "Heroin" (1967)

7. The MC5 - "Kick Out the Jams" (1969)

8. The Sex Pistols - "God Save the Queen" (1977)

9. N.W.A. - "F**k Tha Police" (1988)

10. Body Count - "Cop Killer" (1992)

11. Guns 'N Roses - "One in a Million" (1989)

12. 2 Live Crew - "As Nasty As They Wanna Be" (1989)

13. Prodigy - "Smack My ***** Up" (1997)

14. Eminem - "My Name Is" (1999)

15. Shaggy - "It Wasn't Me" (2001)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The song "Voldemort Can't Stop the Rock!" released on the 2004 album of the same name by Harry and the Potters contains the lyrics "And we won't let the Dark Lord ruin our party/ Just like Tipper Gore tried with the PMRC."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Even John Denver couldn't get away from it! unfortunately, this is the only article i could find which had the information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mountain_High
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and for me, personally, nothing offends me. really, nothing offends me. music is meant for entertainment. and as Wab said before "If an artist doesn't ruffle a few feathers during their career they're not trying hard enough.".

And they can try their hardest, cos they dont frighten me-Behind the Lines- Genesis
I'm sorry, I don't believe that Toilet Paper should have words on it.- me on Twilight
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.-George Carlin
There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.- George Carlin
I'd rather be a fan of Peter Pettigrew than a fan of Edward Cullen.-me, again on Twilight
"Live Long and Prosper."- Spock
Keep behind me. There's no sense in getting killed by a plant.- The Day of the Triffids
Old September 10th, 2009, 6:56 am
Second Year

There was this song I hated that was played on the radio a lot two summers ago by Saving Abel called "Addicted." If you look up the lyrics you'll see why it's controversial. It was really awkward when it would come on and other people were in the car...

Hufflepuff
Old September 16th, 2009, 1:32 am
Elvendork

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbledores1fan View Post
or the lyrics to "Don't Trust Me" by 3OH!3.
A lot of people get offended by the band but they're so satirical and shouldn't be taken seriously. That song in particular seems to be a bit mocking of the girl in the song. Not really that offensive, IMO.

CoS and Pottermore sorted
You will never do anything in this world without courage.
It is the greatest quality of the mind next to honor.

- Aristotle

Specialises in awesome picspams.
Old September 16th, 2009, 1:43 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

It gets ridiculous sometimes.

The song "Guilty Conscience" by Eminem and Dr Dre for example.

The radio edit is SO censored, it makes me wonder why MTV and radio even bothers playing it since so much of the song is censored, moreso than the lyrics which are not.

Old September 18th, 2009, 4:30 am
Secret Keeper

well, i listen to marilyn manson, and some of his lyrics are very deep and sometimes uplifting if you look into them enough, which obviously most people don't

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old September 18th, 2009, 8:52 am
Registered Animagus

^ I think Marilyn Manson is controversial because they're reasonably popular for a 'non mainstream' band. They look different and sing about some questionable things but in the grand scheme of things I don't find them all that controversial.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)