Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Where do you get your ideas?

Old July 14th, 2009, 4:56 am
Second Year

Where do you get your ideas?

I love to write, but I struggle with coming up with ideas for stories. What do you do to come up with your ideas of well... what do I write?

Yeah, they were all yellow
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2009, 6:49 am
Second Year

Re: Where do you get your ideas?

I sit and stare at my computer until I come up with something. Or I go and do something else.

Unfortunately there's no "where" for getting ideas. They just happen. Or not.

Old July 14th, 2009, 9:15 am
Third Year

My ideas do not usually hava a 'where'. You just get a though, usually something you feel highly passionate about and suddenly a plot revolves and you polish it up.

Reading newspapers amy help you come up with one of these 'thoughts'.

LUNA LOVEGOOD

unafraid to express her views

intelligent and artistically creative

comforting and understanding

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

How else could I admire her?

Last edited by luvlunalovegood; July 14th, 2009 at 9:15 am. Reason: typo
Old July 19th, 2009, 5:11 pm
Second Year

I usually get ideas from my dreams or when I am close to sleep. This isn't very useful however because sometimes I don't remember everything fully. One time while I was in bed I thought of a beautiful scene and had the words flwoing into my mind, I should have got up then and wrote it down.

Old July 20th, 2009, 6:28 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigga View Post
I usually get ideas from my dreams or when I am close to sleep. This isn't very useful however because sometimes I don't remember everything fully. One time while I was in bed I thought of a beautiful scene and had the words flwoing into my mind, I should have got up then and wrote it down.
Same here. I've spent the last several years thinking up a story of my own, and I always come up with the best ideas when I'm thinking about it in order to get to sleep.

I should take Yorick's advice and keep a notepad nearby.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old July 20th, 2009, 9:30 pm
Sixth Year

Well, since I write fan fiction, it usually depends. If I'm writing about a show, I may watch episodes to get inspired. If it's a book (Harry Potter) I either read the book, or the ideas just come. It just depends. Sometimes, I get inspiration to write by watching pro wrestling. I know that sounds weird to some of you, but it usually gives me some good results.

Old August 1st, 2009, 1:25 am
Second Year

I'll tell you something very handy to think of ideas, and it's something that isn't uncommon to be used by actual published authors themselves, even J.k Rowling.
Mythology. Ancient Mythology, folklore. There are a lot of fascinating things about it and you can take old ancient ideas and apply them in an original sitation.
Ofcourse you must have your own ideas and not just base it entirely on that mythology, but it's always a starting point.
The Philosophers Stone I believe is Mythology isn't it? J.k Rowling I am sure got her idea from there, because it is in Mythology somewhere about the elixer of life called the Philosopher's Stone.

I won Voldemort's Excellence Award for the Fifth Task

Old August 2nd, 2009, 4:02 am
First Year

Many times I get ideas from the most random things. For example: You see a shadow lurking outside your window and BOOM! you have and idea. Sometimes it can come from something very small and progress. For example: You see a shadow lurking outside a window; The whole town of ____ has been frightened into hiding in their homes while shadows of the evil _____ lurk out their windows waiting for the right moment to kill.

"Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder"
Old August 2nd, 2009, 4:10 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggy View Post
I'll tell you something very handy to think of ideas, and it's something that isn't uncommon to be used by actual published authors themselves, even J.k Rowling.
Mythology. Ancient Mythology, folklore. There are a lot of fascinating things about it and you can take old ancient ideas and apply them in an original sitation.
Ofcourse you must have your own ideas and not just base it entirely on that mythology, but it's always a starting point.
The Philosophers Stone I believe is Mythology isn't it? J.k Rowling I am sure got her idea from there, because it is in Mythology somewhere about the elixer of life called the Philosopher's Stone.
well, a lot of the hp series are based on mythology if you know where to look.

I either just get my ideas or get them in dreams. I used to work on them when I was in bed before I fell asleep but now I decided that getting more than 5 hours of sleep was more important

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old August 3rd, 2009, 1:07 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I get my ideas from dreams, movies, TV shows, books, anything really. I'll watch a TV show or a movie and wish that something was better explained or want to go into more detail about it so I'll turn into an original story (not a fanfic). Or I'll go someplace and something will happen that I'll want to turn into a story. Ideas just happen.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:31 pm
Third Year

I sometimes use fan-fics when I cannot think of any really good, inspirational ideas. I write fan-fics to hopefully get a *bang* sensational plotline.

LUNA LOVEGOOD

unafraid to express her views

intelligent and artistically creative

comforting and understanding

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

How else could I admire her?
Old August 3rd, 2009, 9:02 pm
Fourth Year

a lot of ideas for me just seem to come out of nowhere....i once had an idea that came from staring at my lamp (it was by a window and i was just playing with the on/off switch). i've also have ideas just build up over the years or months and finally i say "i need to write this down NOW" and i do.

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old August 3rd, 2009, 9:16 pm
Sixth Year

I get ideas, mostly, from the feel of certain music. Depending on what the mood of it is, I get images that will pop-up and lead to more ideas. It's really spontaneous stuff, at least where music is involved. Otherwise, ideas could come out of the blue. I dunno. It's quiet chaotic actually...when it works. When it doesn't, I do something else, relax, and wait for my brain to zone in again.

Old August 14th, 2009, 7:54 am
First Year

My ideas are completely sub-conscious. THey just pop out of nowhere, even when I'm not thinking of my novel. That's why I always have my iPod Touch handy, to write my notes in!

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."
- Albus Dumbledore

Old August 14th, 2009, 10:21 pm
Second Year

I get my ideas from looking and listening at people... usually when I'm at school or something I pick a random person and make up a story about them based on what they're wearing or what their saying. Creepy, isn't it?

I look at random things, and try to observe something interesting about them, like I was looking at a slice of bread today and I noticed the coarse, spongy, texture and immediately thought of this random story about a baker and his son.

I used to have all these stuffed animals when I was little, like over twenty of them, and each of them had their own very different personalities and quirks. XD Looking back, I marvel at my own imagination.

Hmm... my favorite time of the day to get ideas is right before I'm asleep. :-) I seem to have my best insane ideas right when I'm half-awake/dozing off.

Old August 16th, 2009, 6:19 am
First Year

My ideas just sort of come from whatever my mind is on, something I've been dwelling on and obsessing over for days. I think about movies, and books, and video games with whatever it is in it, I day dream about it, and eventually I start to think about entertaining scenarios for it to appear in, sometimes one sticks out.

What I'm thinking about can vary greatly. A few subjects of mine have included deep space, prison escapes, anti-social behavior, flying cities, and mutation.

Old August 18th, 2009, 12:43 am
First Year

I usually get my ideas from the deepest parts of my mind or random stuff my friends do.

Old September 15th, 2009, 4:38 am
Registered Animagus

My first idea? I woke up at 3am and there it was. Fired up the computer and started writing.

Old September 16th, 2009, 7:19 am
Banned

I usually have a ton of ideas, as my Plot Bunny thread shows. But what happens is they settle, and I find myself mixing and matching them thus creating the little details of my world.

All the Best,

Lunatic

Old September 28th, 2009, 4:57 am
Second Year

A novel I'm in the process of writing literally emerged from a dream I had about somebody at my school. And every once in a while, something big happens at school and I add that event into my novel if it fits.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner