Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Your writing peeves

Old June 24th, 2013, 5:57 pm
First Year

Re: Your writing peeves

I still get bumps on my neck every time I think about the last book I read but never finished, and never will.

You know, when authors want certain thing to happen, for example, the main character's life getting a dramatic and sudden change, or their partner breaking up with them, or everything getting worse and worse for them... AND they force the stituation for it to happen, even if that means that someone does something that would never happen irl.

The book starts with a woman dying, apparently she was very ill and only her GP and her knew she was gonna die soon, but she never told anything to her family. Then follows by this woman leaving her business to her two grandaughters. One of them had been promoted recently and was earning a lot of money and the other one was living abroad. Nothing about this was discussed beforehand. I know the author wants all that things to happen; I know she wants no one in the family to expect this woman's death, and I know she wanted her grandaughters to inherit the business, and have lots of difficulties and then live happily ever after, but it's just not right! Maybe she doesn't care but she is forcing her grandaughters to take the business! One of them to move back to the rainy England, and the other to ruin her career for a business she didn't ask for.

And that's not all! All of the characters seem to act like this, taking decisions that affect others seriously, without consulting them first, but always with good intentions and horrible consequences. It seems that "good intentions" is the excuse for everything.

Last edited by TashaB; June 24th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2013, 4:36 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaB View Post
And that's not all! All of the characters seem to act like this, taking decisions that affect others seriously, without consulting them first, but always with good intentions and horrible consequences. It seems that "good intentions" is the excuse for everything.
Yeah, I can't stand it when it feels like the author didn't really think things through in terms of character motives and stuff. An engaging and intense plot is good but it has to be believable in relation to the characters!

Old July 12th, 2013, 4:59 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaB View Post
The book starts with a woman dying, apparently she was very ill and only her GP and her knew she was gonna die soon, but she never told anything to her family.
I can believe this entirely. A family friend had just that experience.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old July 23rd, 2013, 7:55 am
Fifth Year

This is a sort of peeve of mine, even though I tend to do it a bit myself. However, I'm working on it with each story! Anyway, the pet peeve I speak of is to do with third person omniscient POV, where the author can go into any number of characters' heads. That's fine, but the problem lies therin when the author jumps too fast from one head to another without a clear transition or in such a way that I have to stop and wonder whose thoughts I'm reading now.

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:21 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
This is a sort of peeve of mine, even though I tend to do it a bit myself. However, I'm working on it with each story! Anyway, the pet peeve I speak of is to do with third person omniscient POV, where the author can go into any number of characters' heads. That's fine, but the problem lies therin when the author jumps too fast from one head to another without a clear transition or in such a way that I have to stop and wonder whose thoughts I'm reading now.
Yeah, that really irritates me too.
Personally, I don't like POVs switching at all, even if it's done well. I just prefer to see the story all from one head because I get used to the narration and it's less confusing for me. Also, when POVs switch, sometimes the author reveals a big surprise or twist from the secondary POV which is meant to add suspense to the story but for me, I just find it annoying and less suspenseful.

Another pet peeve of mine is when an author makes the heroine very strong and independent (which I like) but she comes off as being very rude and snarky (which I don't like). I've seen that so many times, in YA lit. and it gets annoying, especially when they write it as being a good thing. Personally, I don't admire rude people!

I also wanted to add, I really can't stand flashback stories. Like when you open a book and you find out the character is talking about the events after they've happened. That just lessens the reading experience for me and I'm not really sure why. I guess I just like to experience the events as if they're happening in 'real time' with the MC, if that even makes sense.

Another pet peeve of mine is diary format. Ugh! I just can't stand reading a book that is made up entirely of letters and journal entries. It's kind of like the flashback story thing because I know I'm reading this after the events have conspired. I know some people find it cool and when I first was introduced to that sort of story telling (like way back in elementary school) I thought it was cool too but not so much now.

I'm on a roll: It really bothers me when authors try to force humor or wit (I know I kind of do that sometimes too!). The reader can always tell when it comes out forced because it just sounds awkward. It always makes me cringe, especially when I see it in my own writing!

Something else that I noticed in a lot of YA books is how teenagers are portrayed i.e 'cliche' teenagers. There are very, very few books that I've read that don't show teenagers, whether the 'cool' kids or the unpopular crowd (whichever the MC falls into), drinking, having wild parties, excessive swearing, etc. Okay I know there are definitely a lot of teens who do do that but there are just as many who don't and still have a good time. This theme really only bothers me because 1) I see it so much and 2) I see it portrayed in books where the characters don't strike me as the type to do that. I feel like the author just puts that party/scene in just to make it appeal more but it kind of turns me off. This is probably a very personal pet peeve because I don't know many people who are bothered by it. It's just me!

Following up with that, I'll add that I also don't like the 'useless parents/adults' theme that I see a lot in many YA lit. As a teenager, I realize that many teens view their parents as being kind of useless when it comes to helping or understanding them so maybe that's why this parental-type is portrayed so much in YA books. But again, it gets annoying because 1) I see it so much and 2) it kind of ruins some of the authenticity or realism I like in stories. I mean, not all parents/adults in anyone's life are clueless/pointless so I just like to see that reflected in the books I read.

Last thing I'd like to add: I can't stand the whole gushy/awkward romance scenes or dialogues. I'm not the biggest romance fan so I might be biased but honestly, it really makes me cringe!

Last edited by asdfasdf17; July 23rd, 2013 at 11:48 pm.
Old July 24th, 2013, 1:23 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
I also wanted to add, I really can't stand flashback stories. Like when you open a book and you find out the character is talking about the events after they've happened. That just lessens the reading experience for me and I'm not really sure why. I guess I just like to experience the events as if they're happening in 'real time' with the MC, if that even makes sense.
Have you ever read Interview with a Vampire? I personally find that book very compelling despite the fact that it's told through flashbacks because of the very nature of the narrator. Otherwise, I would agree that flashback stories aren't that interesting to me; it tends to leech the suspense from the storyline to me unless there's something extra (like the narrator being a vampire) there to intrigue me.

EDIT: I thought about it and came to the conclusion that a comedy told by a narrator primarily using flashbacks could work if done well and for comedic effect.

Last edited by Goddess_Clio; July 24th, 2013 at 4:49 am.
Old July 24th, 2013, 7:59 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
Have you ever read Interview with a Vampire? I personally find that book very compelling despite the fact that it's told through flashbacks because of the very nature of the narrator. Otherwise, I would agree that flashback stories aren't that interesting to me; it tends to leech the suspense from the storyline to me unless there's something extra (like the narrator being a vampire) there to intrigue me.

EDIT: I thought about it and came to the conclusion that a comedy told by a narrator primarily using flashbacks could work if done well and for comedic effect.
Yes, a comedy does seem like the type of story that would work well with that story telling method! But I don't think I've read any that read that way.

Old July 25th, 2013, 10:06 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Personally, I don't like POVs switching at all, even if it's done well. I just prefer to see the story all from one head because I get used to the narration and it's less confusing for me. Also, when POVs switch, sometimes the author reveals a big surprise or twist from the secondary POV which is meant to add suspense to the story but for me, I just find it annoying and less suspenseful.
Well, there are lots of books in which it's neccessary because the character whose POV is being used simply can't be in two places at once and here are several plot lines to be told. If it's done discreetly I barely notice it. It's different when it's very explicit, in that case you have to do it well so it doesn't feel affected. To be honest, I don't know why everybody is so enthusiastic about George Martin's doint it in Song of Ice and Fire; Wilkie Collins did it much earlier and much better. The first time is shocking, but th eguy really makes a lot of it.

Quote:
Another pet peeve of mine is diary format. Ugh! I just can't stand reading a book that is made up entirely of letters and journal entries. It's kind of like the flashback story thing because I know I'm reading this after the events have conspired. I know some people find it cool and when I first was introduced to that sort of story telling (like way back in elementary school) I thought it was cool too but not so much now.
Exactly my thoughts... till I read Dracula

Old July 26th, 2013, 12:18 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
Exactly my thoughts... till I read Dracula
Oh, I forgot about Dracula! You're right, I didn't mind it as much then but I only liked Jonathan Harker's journal entries at the very beginning. All the other journals and tidbits kind of distracted me and pulled me from the suspense of the story.

Old August 6th, 2013, 6:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:

The POV is not a big deal for me in a book. I've read books written well and written badly from all kinds of POV - first person, third person limited, omniscient narrator, multiple POV. I don't think a particular POV makes a book good or bad; I think it depends on the story being told and the writing style.

Quote:
Another pet peeve of mine is when an author makes the heroine very strong and independent (which I like) but she comes off as being very rude and snarky (which I don't like). I've seen that so many times, in YA lit. and it gets annoying, especially when they write it as being a good thing. Personally, I don't admire rude people!
I don't like rude characters, either, male or female. However, I wonder if rude and snarky male characters get more leeway sometimes.

Quote:
Following up with that, I'll add that I also don't like the 'useless parents/adults' theme that I see a lot in many YA lit. As a teenager, I realize that many teens view their parents as being kind of useless when it comes to helping or understanding them so maybe that's why this parental-type is portrayed so much in YA books. But again, it gets annoying because 1) I see it so much and 2) it kind of ruins some of the authenticity or realism I like in stories. I mean, not all parents/adults in anyone's life are clueless/pointless so I just like to see that reflected in the books I read.
That can get annoying, I agree. I can see why writers do it - for the teens to have the adventure of the story, the parents/guardians must be got out of the way somehow. However, there are surely ways to do it other than having incompetent parents.

Quote:
Last thing I'd like to add: I can't stand the whole gushy/awkward romance scenes or dialogues. I'm not the biggest romance fan so I might be biased but honestly, it really makes me cringe!
I don't mind romance, but I am getting a bit sick of every YA book I read featuring a love triangle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
I think there can still be suspense in a flashback story - we only know that the narrator is still alive - we know nothing of the other characters' fates.

I don't like it when there's a lack of internal logic and consistency. I like fantasy, sci-fi and dystopian future books at times, but they all need to have some kind of in-universe consistency. Things that happen need to make sense in the world of the story. The characters' actions and decisions need to make sense.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old August 17th, 2013, 2:28 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I don't like rude characters, either, male or female. However, I wonder if rude and snarky male characters get more leeway sometimes.
Yeah I can see what you mean about that, especially in YA lit (which I read a lot), there are so many rude male leads/love interest that a lot of fans gush over and stuff which is fine but I just don't find that trait admirable except maybe if it's justified or something which is rare.

Quote:
I don't like it when there's a lack of internal logic and consistency. I like fantasy, sci-fi and dystopian future books at times, but they all need to have some kind of in-universe consistency. Things that happen need to make sense in the world of the story. The characters' actions and decisions need to make sense.
Agreed. It's especially annoying, like in sci-fi or fantasy, when the author introduces an important element that the characters could make use of to reach their goals but is conveniently forgotten by everyone because it makes things too easy. Rowling admitted, on Pottermore, that she kind of did that with the time-turner (and the Marauder's Map) and many fans have pointed it out (I think we might have a thread on it too here). It's hard to write up a made-up world with all it's own rules and stuff but authors should really double-check what they're throwing in!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner