Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Toy Story 3

Old June 28th, 2010, 4:41 am
Zonko's Employee

Re: Toy Story 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytoabn View Post
I don't suppose anyone here can tell me if the 3D effects in Toy Story 3 were worth it. I was a bit annoyed to hear that Toy Story 3 would have 3D, it seemed so unnecessary considering how many good movies Pixar has made without 3D.
The 3D wasn't worth it at all. My theater wasn't playing it without 3D so I was forced to see it in 3D and it was useless. I didn't even notice it AT ALL. I was just focusing on the movie itself: the story, the characters, etc. The 3D didn't jump out at me at all. There was nothing special 3D-wise.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2010, 8:31 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytoabn View Post
I don't suppose anyone here can tell me if the 3D effects in Toy Story 3 were worth it. I was a bit annoyed to hear that Toy Story 3 would have 3D, it seemed so unnecessary considering how many good movies Pixar has made without 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
The 3D wasn't worth it at all. My theater wasn't playing it without 3D so I was forced to see it in 3D and it was useless. I didn't even notice it AT ALL. I was just focusing on the movie itself: the story, the characters, etc. The 3D didn't jump out at me at all. There was nothing special 3D-wise.

There are no 3-D effects as such; it's not a spectacle in that way and, no, it doesn't add all that much. It does add a certain depth to the image, as with Up last year (there are no hands reached toward the audience or props chucked at the camera and so on). And if 3-D is to be the norm, even, as some believe, a breakthrough on the level of color and sound, that's what it should be: a tool to add new depth, not just a gimmick.

Old June 28th, 2010, 9:27 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Bummer on that. The only place that shows it -- non 3d from what I can tell, is my local drive in. All of the other theaters only show it in 3d -- for the extra cash, I figure (no offense meant to any fans of 3d). So I plan (hopefully) to see it there and save some cash and see another movie as well, The Prince of Persia (if it's still on the ticket and stuff).

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old June 29th, 2010, 2:03 am
Hogwarts Graduate

That was such a beautiful movie . I cried sooooo much. Thank God I never threw any of my toys away, my consience is in peace.
What a beautiful film!

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old June 30th, 2010, 7:34 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
I didn't notice the 3D at all. The only time it stood out was during the previews. Otherwise, the entire movie just seemed normal to me. Except that I was watching it with these huge glasses over my prescription glasses. Definitely annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
There are no 3-D effects as such; it's not a spectacle in that way and, no, it doesn't add all that much. It does add a certain depth to the image, as with Up last year (there are no hands reached toward the audience or props chucked at the camera and so on). And if 3-D is to be the norm, even, as some believe, a breakthrough on the level of color and sound, that's what it should be: a tool to add new depth, not just a gimmick.
On some levels I agree with you--I'm not interested in watching something "gimmicky," but at the same time I also want to feel I've gotten my money's worth. For this particular movie, the 3D is not worth it at all. But in my theater they were showing the preview for the Guardians of Ga-hoole (however it's spelled--the animated owl movie). The 3D made those flying scenes look amazing. In a movie like that, I could see it being effective and not gimmicky, but otherwise, I'd just rather have 2D.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:59 am
Fourth Year

The movie was amazing and made me feel really nostalgic and sad. Definetly the best of the trilogy!

‘And now – piertotum locomotor!’ cried Professor McGonagall. And all along the corridor the statues and suits of armour jumped down from their plinths, and from the echoing crashes from the floors above and below, Harry knew that their fellows throughout the castle had done the same.
‘Hogwarts is threatened!’ shouted Professor McGonagall. ‘Man the boundaries, protect us, do your duty to our school!’
Clattering and yelling, the horde of moving statues stampeded past Harry: some of them smaller, others larger than life. There were animals too, and the clanking suits of armour brandished swords and spiked balls on chains.

Pottermore Username: HallowSkull189
Old July 3rd, 2010, 1:05 am
Fifth Year

I loved it!
It was fun, uplifting and really touched the heart.
Plus, I am a teacher at an Early Childhood Learning Centre, so I could totally agree with the way toys are treated by the little ones.
Brilliant movie!
Did you all get the "Star Wars" moment near the end?

Spoiler: show
The Baby doll picking up Lotsa and throwing him in the dumpster just like Darth Vader did to Palpatine in RotJ. This goes along with the "I am you father!" moment in TS2.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 2:18 am
Fourth Year

I kept thinking that was a reference to something but couldn't figure out what. Thanks!

Old July 3rd, 2010, 5:39 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglepot View Post
I loved it!
It was fun, uplifting and really touched the heart.
Plus, I am a teacher at an Early Childhood Learning Centre, so I could totally agree with the way toys are treated by the little ones.
Brilliant movie!
Did you all get the "Star Wars" moment near the end?

The Baby doll picking up Lotsa and throwing him in the dumpster just like Darth Vader did to Palpatine in RotJ. This goes along with the "I am you father!" moment in TS2.
YES! I did notice this while I was watching the movie but totally forgot about it when I came out! That was brilliant!

I also think the beginning train sequence was an homage to Back to the Future part 3 which ended with an elaborate train hijacking sequence.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 7:37 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
YES! I did notice this while I was watching the movie but totally forgot about it when I came out! That was brilliant!

I also think the beginning train sequence was an homage to Back to the Future part 3 which ended with an elaborate train hijacking sequence.
I know, especially

When the train went over the edge of the bridge and the explosion!

Old July 3rd, 2010, 1:15 pm
Second Year

It was such a well-thought out movie. I hear it took Pixar two years to do the screenplay. Even though the 3D parts weren't very much noticed, the movie itself was definitely worth my bucks. It made me appreciate the past Toy Story movies even more, and I even watched Toy Story and Toy Story 2 all over again! It had a nostalgic feel to it, and in the end, I was crying. I really loved it! I'm not much of a toy person, but I really liked the plot and you should all definitely watch it!

My eyes turned into a waterfall when
All the toys held their hands together waiting to be burned in the dumpster (
I went all-out fountain-y especially when
Andy looked hesitant as Bonnie made a grab for Woody. And when he finally decided to give all his toys to Bonnie!
It definitely pulled all my heartstrings. It made me cry for the first time this year!

Oh, and I'm still not over it.

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Book! And cleverness! There are more important things, like friendship and bravery.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:45 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:

Not sure, there are so many movie train hijackings it could refer to....

yes, noticed Star Wars reference; also...

"death by monkeys" sequence parodied the red ant scene in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull,

and "a night in the box" sequence taken directly from Cool Hand Luke.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old July 4th, 2010, 4:15 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Not sure, there are so many movie train hijackings it could refer to....

yes, noticed Star Wars reference; also...

"death by monkeys" sequence parodied the red ant scene in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull,

and "a night in the box" sequence taken directly from Cool Hand Luke.
Well, Back to the Future part 3 fit the most since it was the third movie in a trilogy just like Toy Story 3.

Old July 6th, 2010, 10:27 pm

Quote:
Well, Back to the Future part 3 fit the most since it was the third movie in a trilogy just like Toy Story 3.
Yep . And I loved that part of the movie .

Posted this over on the rate the movie thread... but I think it fits here too...

Toy Story 3 -- 11/10; A+

I just saw this movie this weekend and I loved it! It's very well done and it respected the history of the series. Not a fan of the whole 3d thing though . Just a gimmick to me for the most part, but I'll say this much -- it didn't bug my eyes. Which is good, since I have epilepsy and am very near sighted.

The storyline was for the most part good -- rather dark at times, but they handled it well.

As for any poiltical morals in it -- I didn't really view it that way... I viewed it as the characters noticing that one of them turned out in a way that wasn't good for any of them.

As for the ending, it was rather sappy and sentimental -- but it fit (since Andy was going to college and all that...), and it served as a good ending to this wonderful series.

Liked this installment better than the previous one .

The musical score was pretty well done, along with the animation. Both of these helped to bring the movie to life.

Overall, I'd recommend this film to anyone who likes to watch movies that move them and/or were fans of this series from the very beginning.

Loved all of the Easter Eggs...

Seeing the Evil Emperor Zerg towards the beginning of the credits -- stay for this... a new batch of toys comes and he's a part of it ..

The Star Wars nod -- the whole 'baby (aka: Darth Vader) tosses Lotso (aka: Darth Sidious) into the garbage container' -- that had me laughing a little there...

I cried quite a bit during the film and there were times where I was almost biting my nails with worry about Woody and the gang.

Very well done, every one at Pixar! Thank you all for a job well done !

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; July 7th, 2010 at 9:23 pm. Reason: typo =p
Old July 7th, 2010, 8:11 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
The line is "authority should derive from the consent of the governed." I mostly disagree with it because most people would not consent to taxation. Look no further than Colorado Springs for an example of this.

Anyway.
Well, NumberEight, the point of the line as Wimsey stated was to make fun of the 'Barbie' figure.
Barbies are pretty much a stereotybe of a stupid woman these days, while Toy Story 3 Barbie was clearly not!

Old July 7th, 2010, 9:00 pm
Fourth Year

I saw Toy Story 3 about a week ago. It was excellent and definitely the best of the 3. It was funny and a great movie to see with my little sister. I was almost crying at the end because it was pretty touching. But for most of the movie I was laughing.

Buzz in spanish mode was so full of win!

Marauders' girl through and through.
Padfoot is my love

Old July 7th, 2010, 9:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella_Crucio_U View Post
I saw Toy Story 3 about a week ago. It was excellent and definitely the best of the 3. It was funny and a great movie to see with my little sister. I was almost crying at the end because it was pretty touching. But for most of the movie I was laughing.

Buzz in spanish mode was so full of win!
Agreed... he cracked me up ....

Me too... I thought I'd need a tissue or something there, it was so touching.

Old July 7th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausBaudelaire View Post
Well, NumberEight, the point of the line as Wimsey stated was to make fun of the 'Barbie' figure.
Barbies are pretty much a stereotybe of a stupid woman these days, while Toy Story 3 Barbie was clearly not!
I know this, but it doesn't make the line any more ridiculous, in my opinion.

Old July 11th, 2010, 6:01 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
I know this, but it doesn't make the line any more ridiculous, in my opinion.
Well, if those are your personal politics, then you are not going to like much that either Pixar movies or Jefferson's political philosophies have to offer! Regardless, this is still off of the point: this is the same sort of humor as having Ron Weasley quote Gorpolops 5th law or something..... It would have been just as humorous if she had quoted Karl Marx or Socrates or any other shaper of political thought: barbies are not supposed to know these things.

But back to Hamm's favorite stuff, even if Jefferson, Marx and Socrates would have hated it: the capitalism! (On the outside, he's all pig: on the inside, he's still all pig!) TS3 posted a very strong 4th weekend at $22M. TS3's total $$$ now surpass Nemo, although TS3 still is well behind FN in estimated ticket sales (56M to 41M, assuming about $8.50/ticket for TS3 based on the reported proportion of 3D sales). TS3 is, however, now the #1 ticket seller of the year (IM2 and Alice stand at about 40M; remember all of Avatar's 2010 sales count towards 2009). To catch TS2 (47.5M), TS3 needs to make about $400M: and TS3 is right on track to do so.

That would be impressive because that would make Toy Story only the second series (after Lord of the Rings) in which each sequel outsold the prior film.

It also bears noting that, once again, the "competition" hypotheses completely fails to predict things accurately. Despicable Me, another animated films aimed at kids of all ages and also playing on a lot of 3D screens, scored a very impressive $60M. The competition hypothesis predicted that one movie would suffer at the other's expense, yet both films came in at the high end of initial estimates. Of course, the two films pulled in about $85M between the two of them: which would be a great opening weekend for one film. So, clearly the total possible market was not really approached. But, then, it almost never is.....

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; July 11th, 2010 at 6:49 pm.
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:24 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
Well, if those are your personal politics, then you are not going to like much that either Pixar movies or Jefferson's political philosophies have to offer! Regardless, this is still off of the point: this is the same sort of humor as having Ron Weasley quote Gorpolops 5th law or something..... It would have been just as humorous if she had quoted Karl Marx or Socrates or any other shaper of political thought: barbies are not supposed to know these things.
I laughed when Barbie said that, actually. I also understood everything you've said here during that scene.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion