Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Toy Story 3

Old June 24th, 2010, 12:37 pm
Banned

Re: Toy Story 3

The only problems I had with the film is that the villain is too similar to the villain in the second film (the same facade is there) and Barbie's political line, which I mostly disagree with. The line also felt really preachy.

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2010, 8:33 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

I just got back from seeing it. I did a lot more than just tear up. I wept through some large chunks of the film:

Spoiler: show
The incinerator, when the toys hold hands. And that whole final sequence with Andy playing with his toys. I also cried during the opening, when we see the videotape of Andy playing with his toys.

BTW, I thought the opening sequence was amazing - a look inside Andy's mind as he played with his toys as a little boy.

I'm so glad the toys were bequeathed to the right child.

I do think it was a great third film for the trilogy. At the same time, my favorite animated film of the year is still How to Train Your Dragon, which just completely blew me away.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:18 pm
Zonko's Employee

I finally saw the movie today as well. I grew up on Toy Story. I liked the movie, it was great. Really, really good. I also teared up in the beginning, during the video camera montage. I grew up with these toys as well! I was a fan the moment I saw the original in 1995 so it was special for me.
Spoiler: show

Now, setting aside the nostalgia factor (which faded away for the most part after the beginning), I didn't find this movie the 'masterpiece' many people are calling it...I mean, greatest film of the year? Really? It's good, but not THAT good, imo. Now, I'm probably going to be bashed on some obscure forum out there on the web or on someone's profile but I don't think this film was THAT good. Really, it's nearly indentical to Toy Story 2 with just a few little twists to spice it up. Toy Story 2 was about Andy growing up and the toys wondering what would happen to them and dealing with the decision on whether to go or stay at a new home. I suppose Toy Story 3 was more direct but still...Yeah, the villain was almost a clone of Stinky Pete from Toy Story 2...and his fate is the same as Pete's fate: being taken by an unwanted owner. The whole 'evil toys turned daycare into a dictatorship police state' plot was kinda cheesy and felt odd. Ken and Barbie were funny though.

The scene where they are at the dump and about to go into the fire was kinda melodramatic to me...I was a little worried because I've been hearing such grand epic comments made about this movie. About big huge surprises, tear-tearjerkers, etc, I was expecting one of the toys to be destroyed...Oh and I heard some people say the ending was ironic...I must have missed something. How was the ending ironic? I thought Buzz's character was disappointing in this movie as well. He lost his leadership qualities and bravery I so loved in Toy Story 2 and he wasn't as funny as he was. I guess this was Woody's film. I also wished there were more musical montages like the other movies.

I LOVED Bonnie. What a sweet, wonderful little girl and the rightful heir to the toys! The ending was bittersweet and very moving. Andy's little jerk as Bonnie waved Woody's hand goodbye was very emotional for me.

But other than that...it's just a really good kids movie. Nothing more than that...It's not my favorite of the trilogy either. I'd give it a 7/10. If I didn't gorw up with Toy Story, I don't think this film would have done anything for me but I'm not the target audience anymore, I suppose.

I hope people don't think I hated it. I loved it. I just don't think it's a masterpiece. Not by a long shot. It doesn't feel different enough from the other Toy Stories and it doesn't feel as exciting or original, IMO. The comedy was great as always though. I laughed out loud many times!

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:35 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Glad to see so many of you liked it . You're all making me want to see it now... .

As in... MUST GO!! I hope to this weekend if I can...

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old June 24th, 2010, 11:39 pm
Second Year

Aww, I loved it! I've grown up with those toys. Now I'm the same age as Andy. It was a really bittersweet ending for me... But they can always make more! And Bonnie is SUCH a cutie.

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:58 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Only thing I think could have been a little different was the ending and what Andy ended up doing with the toys.
Your view is a prominent minority view, given comments at AICN. Harry is one of the ones that agrees with you, as is my wife. I disagree, yet I don't think that the other side is "wrong" (if that makes sense). As it was, the ending actually got my Saharan tear ducts activated says a bit! Of course "and we would all...." scene right before then had already breached the gate.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
The only problems I had with the film is that the villain is too similar to the villain in the second film (the same facade is there) and Barbie's political line, which I mostly disagree with. The line also felt really preachy.
Unless you think that the ethical authority of government really does come from the threat of violence, I suspect that you misheard the line! The great part about the line was the irony: to call a woman a "Barbie" is to suggest that she is vacuous and not the sort to quote (if I remember rightly) Jefferson! Of course, Pixar films have been loaded with political/social commentary, from the strong anti-big energy themes in Monsters, Inc., the anti-insurance-for-profit themes of The Incredibles, the "Hostile Takeover bank" sponsorship in Cars, etc. This is part of the reason why adults like them as much as kids do.

Of course, the Ken bits were bleepin' hysterical: it was shooting fish in a barrel (proverbially), but still great!

It will be interesting to see how this film does in the box office. It is off to a great start, owing of course to the great popularity of the first two films. (Toy Story 2 was the first blockbuster sequel to outsell it's predecessor, although that has happened several times since then.) In other threads, a few of us did note that this was the big wildcard when predicting what the #1 ticket seller of 2010 would be: sequels usually are very predictable, but would the 12 years separating releases cause audiences to forget? Or would even more people be interested now, given that the first two films appeal to kids AND seem to retain a high appeal among big kids ("adults."). At any rate, TS3 might show an unusually low decay for a sequel, and it seems a lock for $300+M.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old June 25th, 2010, 12:05 am
Secret Keeper

Hmm, so this kid's movie is really that good, eh? I've seen hardly any negative comments so far...but then again, everyone was gushing about Up last year too Well, I still need to get around to watching Toy Story 2 first...

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; June 25th, 2010 at 12:07 am.
Old June 25th, 2010, 12:18 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey View Post
It will be interesting to see how this film does in the box office. It is off to a great start, owing of course to the great popularity of the first two films. (Toy Story 2 was the first blockbuster sequel to outsell it's predecessor, although that has happened several times since then.) In other threads, a few of us did note that this was the big wildcard when predicting what the #1 ticket seller of 2010 would be: sequels usually are very predictable, but would the 12 years separating releases cause audiences to forget? Or would even more people be interested now, given that the first two films appeal to kids AND seem to retain a high appeal among big kids ("adults."). At any rate, TS3 might show an unusually low decay for a sequel, and it seems a lock for $300+M.
Interesting questions. I've been an adult - and an aunt of a kid Andy's age - since the movies began. I remember my brother calling his youngest son "Little Wood" (after Woody), and I remember watching a Buzz Lightyear cartoon over at my brother's house.

So I'm not one of the people who "grew up with" Toy Story. And since my brother and I live on opposite coasts in the US (i.e. roughly 3000 miles apart), I didn't actually watch the kids in my family who grew up with Toy Story grow up.

But when I saw the trailer, I knew immediately that this was one movie I was going to see on the big screen. My husband and I saw Toy Story on VHS. We saw Toy Story 2 on big screen. And I saw Toy Story 3 in IMAX 3-D. I'm hoping my husband will manage it before it leaves the IMAX theaters. If not, I know we'll watch it on Blu-Ray.

At any rate, from the moment I saw the trailer, it was one of my must-see movies of the summer. Also, I don't really agree that this was a lot like Toy Story 2. "Andy growing up but still pre-teen" isn't quite the same as "Andy growing up and going to college." There's a sense of finality here. He's becoming a young adult. This one just about did me in emotionally. Toy Story 2 did not.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old June 25th, 2010, 7:45 am
Curse Breaker

Absolutely loved this film, a story well told.

Also, hilarious references to the most recent Indiana Jones movie, Star Wars and Cool Hand Luke.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old June 25th, 2010, 2:37 pm
Banned

Quote:
Unless you think that the ethical authority of government really does come from the threat of violence, I suspect that you misheard the line!
The line is "authority should derive from the consent of the governed." I mostly disagree with it because most people would not consent to taxation. Look no further than Colorado Springs for an example of this.

Anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Hmm, so this kid's movie is really that good, eh? I've seen hardly any negative comments so far...but then again, everyone was gushing about Up last year too Well, I still need to get around to watching Toy Story 2 first...
I would not classify Toy Story 3 as a kid's film. There are adult themes and it is quite dark. In fact, some parents have found the movie too dark for their kids.

Last edited by NumberEight; June 25th, 2010 at 3:07 pm.
Old June 25th, 2010, 5:10 pm
Secret Keeper

^ Err, it's an animation about toys...of course it's a children's movie

And I'm not sure I have enough child left in me to enjoy such films now the way I did back when the original Toy Story came out

For one I betcha it can not move me to tears...animations rarely do

Last edited by lcbaseball22; June 25th, 2010 at 5:28 pm.
Old June 25th, 2010, 5:42 pm
Banned

Quote:
^ Err, it's an animation about toys...of course it's a children's movie
It's a movie about toys, yes, but it has adult themes, so it's not exclusively for children. The political line I mentioned above will not be comprehended by children. The allegory of a fascist society will not be understood or recognized by children.

Quote:
And I'm not sure I have enough child left in me to enjoy such films now the way I did back when the original Toy Story came out

For one I betcha it can not move me to tears...animations rarely do
Why are you even posting in this thread? You aren't contributing anything. All you're doing is alluding to how far more mature you think you are to those of us who like the movie.

Last edited by NumberEight; June 25th, 2010 at 5:45 pm.
Old June 25th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Secret Keeper

^ Meh, I'm just sceptical is all

IMO, most animations are over-rated now...I dunno why we put 'em on a pedestal. Seems there's at least 1 every year people gush about.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; June 25th, 2010 at 6:42 pm.
Old June 25th, 2010, 8:19 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:

IMO, most animations are over-rated now...I dunno why we put 'em on a pedestal. Seems there's at least 1 every year people gush about.
Enjoying animation films is no different than sci-fi. Just suspend the critical part of the brain and take it on face value, that anything is possible. There is so much that is clever & funny in Toy Story 3, along with true to life human experiences.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old June 25th, 2010, 8:35 pm
Second Year

Quote:

While I adore the Toy Story movies, I do agree with you here! I thought Wall-E and Up were hugely overrated and silly. I could hardly stay awake through both of those, but Toy Story is different! Unlike those movies, Toy Story doesn't have to rely on cute characters to try to keep the audience's attention. I was captivated by all 3 Toy Story movies at the ages of about 3, 7, and 18, and I think that says a lot about them.

Last edited by tripletkate607; June 25th, 2010 at 8:38 pm.
Old June 26th, 2010, 1:39 am
Zonko's Employee

Maybe you didn't look in the 'spoilers' part of my post (I'm not sure if you care about being spoiled or not) but I wasn't 100% positive about the movie, it's definitely not my favorite of the Toy Story trilogy. I thought it was great, exceptionally good, but I attributed it mostly to the nostalgia factor for me personally. I also don't think it's a masterpiece or anywhere near the greatest movie ever (or of the year), it's just a really good children's movie that happens to be special and unique for me because of my childhood and experience growing up with Toy Story, nothing more, nothing less IMO. I don't generally enjoy animated or completely CGI films either, only Toy Story and the beginning of Up.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; June 26th, 2010 at 1:45 am.
Old June 26th, 2010, 10:40 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletkate607 View Post
While I adore the Toy Story movies, I do agree with you here! I thought Wall-E and Up were hugely overrated and silly. I could hardly stay awake through both of those, but Toy Story is different! Unlike those movies, Toy Story doesn't have to rely on cute characters to try to keep the audience's attention. I was captivated by all 3 Toy Story movies at the ages of about 3, 7, and 18, and I think that says a lot about them.
Hmm, that's pretty cool actually. Well if you say Toy Story is different I suppose I'll take your word for it and give it a try. I saw the original when I was 8 and it was the last really good animation I've seen...and naturally they just don't captivate me now like they used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
Enjoying animation films is no different than sci-fi. Just suspend the critical part of the brain and take it on face value, that anything is possible. There is so much that is clever & funny in Toy Story 3, along with true to life human experiences.
Well I'm not a big fan of sci-fi either, but I really don't think that's the issue. I dunno, I think I've just outgrown cartoons and animation more or less. I would prefer to watch a live action film any day of the week. I tried watching Enchanted the other day and felt like skipping through the animation parts. Like things that used to make me smile and laugh were annoying. I guess I don't have the same emotional responses that I do to live action...but don't get me wrong...I don't think of myself as some "tough guy" or whatever. Quite the opposite actually Especially the last few years I've become quite sensitive...and there are MANY live action movies which bring me to tears

Last edited by lcbaseball22; June 26th, 2010 at 10:43 am.
Old June 27th, 2010, 9:37 pm
Curse Breaker

TS3 showed a very impressive 2nd weekend, pulling in 53% of the opening weekend. That's really good for any film that sells 10+M tickets in an opening weekend. For a sequel, it is really outstanding: it has been a long time since a blockbuster sequel got 50+% in its 2nd weekend.

Given the decay rates for Pixar films, it probably crossed the half-way point this weekend. That puts it in line for $400M or so, or a slight increase in ticket sales over TS2.

If nothing else, TS3 almost certainly has clinched the "Golden Tomato" award from Rotten Tomatoes, which is $$$ x % positive reviews, at 98% positive reviews (averaging 8.7 of 10 points from critics) and $226M after 10 days. Somehow, I just don't see, say, Twilight 3 getting quite this good reviews....

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:13 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:

Given the decay rates for Pixar films, it probably crossed the half-way point this weekend. That puts it in line for $400M or so, or a slight increase in ticket sales over TS2.

If nothing else, TS3 almost certainly has clinched the "Golden Tomato" award from Rotten Tomatoes, which is $$$ x % positive reviews, at 98% positive reviews (averaging 8.7 of 10 points from critics) and $226M after 10 days. Somehow, I just don't see, say, Twilight 3 getting quite this good reviews....
Yeah, well I also don't see Twilight 3 getting $400M so...

DH might though, especially with the added 3D release

Old June 28th, 2010, 1:54 am
First Year

I don't suppose anyone here can tell me if the 3D effects in Toy Story 3 were worth it. I was a bit annoyed to hear that Toy Story 3 would have 3D, it seemed so unnecessary considering how many good movies Pixar has made without 3D.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion