Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Favourite quotes from your own writings

Old June 8th, 2009, 11:49 pm
Fifth Year

Favourite quotes from your own writings

Exactly what it says on the tin

Anyway, this thread is for people to share their own favourite quotes from their own writings, and perhaps why it's their favourite. You may comment on others' quotes too. The quotes can be serious, funny, dramatic, etc, so long as they are your own and not some other author's (like, say, JKR ).
And, also, it helps if you try and explain briefly the background of your quote so we can sort of understand why you like it or why it's that way.

A few examples from me:

From my musical, Cliche Clique

The following quotes from Cliche Clique are from the 'Medical Suite' where it's a parody/satire/whatever on cliches in medicine (actually a bit misleading, it's more to do with female nurses than anything). Just a bit of necessary background. Remember, Cliche Clique is an attempt to poke gentle fun at the biggest cliches one sees in literature.

Quote:
WORLD WAR ONE NURSE
I’d better be happy I’m fictional then: same author’s been having all my patients fall in love with me. You know what? Having hundreds of wounded soldiers in love with you is very trying.
(The 'fake WW2 nurses' are fake because a) they're not real nurses (WW2 aside) and b) they're more like, er, well, how do I put it? You know, night jobs? and c) the uniforms are not even remotely close to the nurses' uniforms in WW2.

Quote:
(CASSIE sneaks in onto the stage)

WW2 MATRON
(To WW2 FAKE NURSES) Who are you?

WW2 FAKE NURSE ONE
The Roses of No Man’s Land, of course!

CASSIE
(Loudly) Yeah right! More like the [bad word] of No Man’s Land!
Quote:
CASSIE
No, Matron. They’re Night Nurses.

MATRON
No, some are on day—

CASSIE
No, no, not shifts! They’re prostitutes in nurses’ clothing! You know—(exaggerates the words ‘hello nurse’)—‘hellooo nurse!’ Trust me; they wouldn’t know a thermometer from a twig. (Pause) And when I say they’re interested in privates, I’m not talking about the soldier rank!
And a bit from the 'War Suite' in said musical, in an idle moment between the characters.

Quote:
GINA
Just so long as you don’t start shagging Scottish pixels.

CASSIE
My God, Gina, you’d have to be pretty desperate to hump your computer!
Quote:
RACHEL
Bloody hell, that’s the ***** of them all, Passchendaele!

GINA
I think that honour oughta go to the Somme, actually.

RACHEL
Nah, Passchendaele.

GINA
Somme.

RACHEL
Passchendaele!

GINA
Somme!

RACHEL
Passchendaele!

GINA
Somme!

RACHEL
Passchendaele!

GINA
Somme!

RACHEL
Pass—

KEVIN
Hey, curb it you two!
Okay that's enough from me for now!

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2009, 4:51 am
Fourth Year

Re: Favourite quotes from your own writings

I had fun writing this bit, from the story I'm working on right now

Quote:
“We could move in,” Mom suggested. I stared at her. “What?” she asked, “We live in a teeny-tiny apartment, and the lease is just about up. This house is just sitting here, and it’s freaking huge.”
“Exactly. Mom, this house has SEVEN bedrooms. Plus various parlors and offices and God knows what else. There are only two of us. What are we going to put in the other bedrooms? All that stuff from our apartment?”
“No. I have a better idea. We’ll rent the rooms out!”
“Have strangers live with us? Um, mom, this isn’t, like, a mining town. We do not live in 1850. I don’t even know if people even DO boarding houses anymore.”
“It doesn’t necessarily have to be a boardinghouse. It could be-“she paused to think-“a youth hostel. Or a Bed and Breakfast. Or a combination of the three. We could have all SORTS of interesting people in and out of here.”
“Mom, what is this, a TV show? It seriously sounds like the beginning of a TV show from the 70s.”
I also enjoyed writing this bit, and I don't think I'll ever change it. (They're playing soccer, he's German, hence the accent)

Quote:
I shrieked and giggled as he tried to put me back on my feet while still gaining control of the ball. Instead, I lost my balance and toppled over, pulling him with me. I fell onto the grass, laughing, and he landed on top of me, chuckling.
“That’s what you get for cheating!” I told him, sticking out my tongue.
“Vell, I guess I deserve it. But I still vin, I am on top.”
“Not for long!” I used all of my strength to push him onto his back and pulled myself over him, pinning him to the ground. “Now I win.”
He laughed and easily pushed me over again. We continued wrestling for awhile longer, until we were laughing too hard to move. I laid back on the grass and he nearly collapsed face down on top of me.
We stayed like that for a moment. Suddenly, we weren’t laughing anymore. I felt myself blushing as thoughts about the position we were in sped through my head. I felt tingly all over again, wherever his body met mine and in the places I wanted his body to meet mine; he looked down at me, and I thought I saw something in his eyes, some sort of fire that both worried and excited me. His head seemed to be sinking down towards mine when Abby called us in for dinner. His head snapped back up.

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old July 13th, 2009, 2:11 am
Third Year

Quote:
Music is more than a complexion of melodies, more than a complexion of notes. Music is the sound of the heart and the language of passion. Music is the moment of calamity and the voice of nature. Music represents individuality and the words of the mind.
I used this in a scene when a music teacher is trying to perk up an unenthuthiastic class. I think it sounds cool.

Well, do you like it?

LUNA LOVEGOOD

unafraid to express her views

intelligent and artistically creative

comforting and understanding

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

How else could I admire her?
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:02 pm
First Year

This is the opening paragraph to my story, Black Masks & Gasoline.

Quote:
London is alive. It burns in his eyes as his feet hit the cobblestone. It twists and turns as he sprints around corners, wind whipping his hair, a stupid grin plastered across his face. It breathes with him as his lungs gasp for air, his back pressed against the walls of an alley, heart pounding in anticipation. He chuckles despite himself, holding his chest, peering around the corner at the deserted street. A smile spreads across his lips. It's a warning. A threat. It's an adventure waiting to happen.
I quite like it.

Old July 14th, 2009, 1:34 am
Third Year

very nice Ashtray. It sounds like a very dramatic scene even though, not much is revealed about who the character is or what he is doing. But great! I like it!

LUNA LOVEGOOD

unafraid to express her views

intelligent and artistically creative

comforting and understanding

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

How else could I admire her?
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:23 am
Fourth Year

i just found this in an old livejournal post that i'd forgotten about and i decided that i love this line:

Quote:
i wish being a "grown up" was what i imagined when i was 5 or 10 years old.

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old July 23rd, 2009, 9:03 pm
Third Year

Hmm maybe
"Why does this ALWAYS happen to me? I guess I'm cursed"

Old July 30th, 2009, 6:18 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

When we went to the UK I flew economy and Rose travelled in my checked baggage. I should have treated my sister better but I didn't want her in my carry-on in case they searched my bag.

-- "Rambling With Rose", ASIM #9

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 4th, 2009, 8:25 pm
Registered Animagus

This is from my script I am writing:

Quote:
RACHEL
Excuse me? First you ask me to allow some drunk, bloody stranger into our apartment, and then you tell me he wants no help from police or doctors. How do you know he isn't a criminal?

ROXY
We can ask him who he is once we get him inside and get him up. Now help me... please?

RACHEL
I got a bad feeling about this.

ROXY
(scoffs)
Just get down here, Han Solo.

Old August 27th, 2009, 3:00 am
First Year

This is from my current story, Kisses From The Devil.

Quote:
“You know, it will eat you alive one day.”

Those words have haunted me since I was fifteen. That was when I had first started seeing the shadow people. Scared ****less, I approached my best friend Christabel for help, hoping she’d actually do something other than complain. All Tabby had done was lecture me and scare me even more. It’s been three years, and the last words Tabby ever said still haunt me. Last words .. That sounds funny when rolled over the tongue. Of course, something like that shouldn’t be humorous, since it was partly my fault they were her last words. The shadow people told me not to tell anyone, but I did. And .. Well, I’ll show you myself. Here’s my world when it all began.
The beginning of a story I never finished.

Quote:
Tears. Something I’ve never understood, yet there they were, flowing down my cheeks like a broken waterfall. Why, do you ask? Because I’ve been betrayed. Okay, so maybe that’s a little bit over-dramatic, but seriously, my so-called ‘best friend’ really did just betray me! Even though it may not be her fault, I still hate her for it. She completely and totally just ruined my life.

Apparently, I’m a vampire.

Shocking, isn’t it?
Aha, fashion rant.

Quote:
And when all these girls go around piercing they're belly buttons. Do you know what happens to those when you get pregnant? The whole expands and makes it look like you were shoved through with a stick like what happened to Paris Hilton in The House Of Wax. It'll be VERY unattractive.
Another part of my fashion rant. xD

Quote:
It's like when 'gangsters' have their pants hanging around their knees, you get the urge to pants them if your normal but feel like they've already done it themselves. Like, did you forget to pull up your pants when you came out from the washroom? Or did you just skip the washroom and shxt your pants?
Lulz, love it. Poem I wrote when I was uber bored.

Quote:
electricity is a powerful thing.
it’s not just given out.
you have to pay for it.
you have to work for it.
unless, of course, you’re pikachu.
From one of my favourite rants.

Quote:
so next time you go around making new friends, keep in mind all the little things that they do because the little things are the only things that matter in a friendship, the big things are just to throw you off.

That's all I can find, at the moment. (:

go 'claws!
Old November 16th, 2009, 7:43 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
For now, his [Joseph Merrick's] only window into the world of other foreign lands, and other people’s minds was through the Holy Bible. He drank in the words of Jesus, listened to the whispers of the proverbs, enjoyed the quiet, silent singing of the Psalms. He heard the whispers of their foreign tongues, the mourning in the air when Mary Magdalene discovered the empty tomb after Jesus was resurrected. He could spend all day in the fields of Egypt with Joseph and his bright cloak of colours, or walk with the shepherds, following the bright start of Bethleham when Jesus was born from the virgin Mary.
The Bunsen burner started burning low that night as he readied himself for bed, gazing into the steady glow of the light, throwing distorted shadows on the wall. His shoadow loomed over the white-washed walls of the basement, throwing eerie distortions across the surfaces. Fluffing up the several pillows he had to support himself as he rested, the man eased himself under the sheet and blanket, bending his titanic head onto his knees, closing his eyes. Only in his dreams and imagination could he imagine he was free of his painful and disturbing deformity. Then he could look in a mirror, only in those dreams, and gaze at his self that he might have been had he not had his condition. The man could only dream, walk with a beautiful woman with a heart-shaped face and black hair curling in ringlets, in his deepest dreams. She would cling onto his arm, sing love songs into his ears, and embrace him under a shady oak tree, with the buttercups and daisies sprouting around them through the green, lush grass.
The message I enter here means can this please not be too short thanks.

Last edited by Marina; November 29th, 2017 at 6:44 pm. Reason: Got rid of disgusting paragraphs from when I was privileged white trash.
Old December 18th, 2009, 6:50 pm
First Year

I'm more of a poet than a fiction writer, but I thought I'd share some of my favorite lines. I hope you like them.

This one's from a poem called "Out"
Quote:
18 thousand elves
Knocking on my skull
"Hello, there. Is anybody home?"
Nope.
I'm out of my mind for the day
This is from something I wrote about trying to quit smoking
Quote:
One more pack
Then I'm through
But you'll save more
If you buy two!
And, possibly my very favorite line that I've written in a long time-
Quote:
Make her tell you everything
Embrace the broken rhythm of her heart

Read A History of Magic: The Harry Potter Era by USNAGator91. It's good. (as if there's anyone left who doesn't already read it )
Old June 3rd, 2010, 9:52 pm
Second Year

These are some of my favourites from my debut novel, 'The Scent of Jasmine' which has recently been published at Completely Novel:

Quote:
I smiled. “I’m fine. I stopped off at a place called Albert’s on the way and sampled the best hangover cure in the world.” John gave me a blank look. “Egg, bacon, beans, sausage, black pudding and fried bread – double helpings. Definitely a kill or cure remedy. He calls it ‘the Dog that bit the Dog that bit You.”
John shuddered. “Kill or cure is right. I’d hate to think what my doctor would say about the cholesterol in that little lot.”
Quote:
I don’t know why” Jane said, half to herself, “but there’s a distinct air of tragedy about this place.” She took another step forward. “I can’t explain why, but I really feel sadness here.”
“Don’t go all Most Haunted on me and get dragged into the ruins,” I retorted.
She turned and gave me an icy look. “I’m not joking Adam, something happened here, something bad.”
Quote:
I jumped like a scalded cat as Jane’s voice came, unexpectedly, from the doorway. My breath came fast and heavy as I slumped against the wall feeling my heart rate going through the roof and, perhaps, breaking the light barrier.
“Looks like a switch to decaf is on the cards,” she added, impishly.
Quote:
I took a deep breath. “I’ve always been brought up to look at things in a rational and empirical way. To me, faith is so far opposed to that viewpoint that it is something alien to me.
“Plus, I’ve always seen religion as the ultimate in censorship. Right back from the time of Galileo and Copernicus, it seems that religion has tried to shackle the human mind. Knowledge defies faith and, without faith, the church has no standing.
“Much as I try to be open minded, I suppose I still have my blind spots.”
Quote:
Carnell grinned. “Thanks. I get the feeling that, after another week of this, my stomach would sue me for cruel and unusual torture.”
(My ex-wife's favourite line from the novel, by the way)

The greatest act can be one little vicotry
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:25 pm
Second Year

My friend said this once, and I've incorporated it into all my writings so far.
"Curiosity killed the cat, you know."
"Well, I didn't have whiskers and a tail, last time I checked."

"Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings." -Salvador Dali
"Oh, well, I never was there ever a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffelees!"

Old June 9th, 2010, 8:55 pm
Fourth Year

I sang the stars a lullaby
From my bed at night
They twinkled down and begged me
For a song, but when I obliged,
they would not sing along

The stars were bright- eyed strangers--
they were pretty but cared little--
They ignored my kindness
and refused to shine upon my dreams
My dreams were bitter
and I cried when I woke

The stars gazed down at me
and spoke
But I covered my ears and would not listen
I was sure they would only lie

Uneasy sleep at last washed over me
And once again I was tortured mercilessly by my dreams
And woke in such intense pain I had to scream
but it was in vain, for no one was listening
Except the stars, and they laughed

By FK

"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:24 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofsugar View Post
My friend said this once, and I've incorporated it into all my writings so far.
"Curiosity killed the cat, you know."
"Well, I didn't have whiskers and a tail, last time I checked."
XD Very witty, sounds like my kind of humour. =D

Not written anything very funny lately... ever... though.

So here's my dark contribution. XD (Most of the stuff I dare to post on DA is psychological like this).

Quote:
New Heroin:
Those sorts! Zombies! The b****es and arse lickers of the world all under the illusion that, because they've got a drink in their hand and a girl on their lap, they're happy. And I, I was one of them! I was the one handing out the drinks, calling up the girls, rolling up the splifs and complaining about the government for raising the price of fags.
Just reminds me of when I had a friend read it. They couldn't believe that I'd writen it because I'm so cheerful. I think they probably think I'm secertly a psycho now. XD

Click here if you want to read the rest of it. =)

Old February 17th, 2011, 9:23 am
Second Year

I thoroughly enjoy creating things, whether it be by crafting, singing, or writing. Often times, I will just be sitting, fidgiting at the computer, or driving to work and an idea will come to me. I write an abundance of quotes-all original of me, copied from absolutely nowhere. My most favored is:

"On the horizon lay two paths; one chosen and one left simply to faith. All you have to do...is believe."-Brynn Herman

From beginning to end, I shall say it again. Twas nice to be amongst the most dearest of friends.-Brynn Ashleigh '11
Old March 9th, 2011, 9:17 pm
First Year

"Miss Lestrange, I know my name is funny, but please pay attention"

Said by a bloke named professor Dragon, right....

You say Death Eater as if it's a bad thing!

sorted
Old March 21st, 2011, 3:23 pm
First Year

Hope you like them :3 Here is a snippet from a poem I wrote titled "The Demon Playground":

Quote:
a strike of light in her darkened soul
released the demons and they took control.
she tried to consume the energy they had
and drown out the power that made them glad.
This is a free verse poem I wrote titled "Human":

Quote:
masks cover up a person.
they 'mask' who they are.
but once you hear a voice,
or feel a touch,
you can name that person.
not by their real name,
but by their actions.
only because you are being judgemental.
but that's human.
and you're human.
These are the two introduction paragraphs for the story I'm working on titled "Primoris":

Quote:
I knelt on the bed, positioning myself correctly. Levelling everything up with the intruders outside my window. It was time, soon enough, to start fighting. Destroying. I stare through the scope with a steady eye, finding my first target. Ready. Aim. A silent bullet flies through the air and implants itself into its unsuspecting victim, exploding him outwards, showering his buddies with a sticky red liquid. He didn’t even have time to scream. I smile. Perfect shot, like always. That’s why I’m a sniper. I’ve got the hands of an artist, steady and deadly. Deadly being the key word. I was born for this.

I target my next victim, watching as two other bodies fall from my other partners’ shots. Two more go down as I search for my target, the one I was told to keep alive until the end. The leader of Sector Two. I finally find him, cowering behind his two last remaining soldiers. I take aim for his head, then I think again. I pull my gun level down and aim straight for his heart. As his last soldiers fall, it’s my time to shine. I steady my gun and wait. The leader stares right at me, trying to look brave. Ready. Aim. Up he goes, his chest cavity exploding. I can smell the blood from here. The smile turns to a steady grin.

go 'claws!
Old April 10th, 2011, 4:46 pm
First Year

I wrote a poem a time ago and always loved these lines:

Quote:
Originally Posted by By Aleya
"I love you, the rain cries to the earth.
Embrace me, it whispers streaking across the window pane and racing to the dry and dusty soil raking up that ancient and familiar scent of forgotten time and lost memories."

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner