Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Cover versions

Old November 18th, 2009, 2:51 am
Secret Keeper

Re: Cover versions

Just today I heard a country cover (not sure who sings it) on the radio of "Gotta Be Somebody" by Nickelback...ugh, it was truly awful!

Reminded me of Jack Ingram's cover of Hinder's "Lips of an Angel" from a few years ago, although that one actually sounded halfway decent

I love country, but when artists try to cover rock songs in a countrified manner it doesn't usually work They ruined 2 great songs...

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2009, 3:17 am
Registered Animagus

^ While I dislike both of those songs an awful lot, I agree that country covers of other genres are generally not good. Crossing over genres with covers seems to be very much hit and miss from what I can tell, unless you get songs like White Wedding which has been covered by quite a few artists spanning various genres and all have a different, but good, take on it. Same with Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence.

Old November 19th, 2009, 9:29 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlidia View Post
I don't like covers at all and I am a really obsessed Beatles fan, but I have to admmit to liking a cover of A Day in the Life by the Fall.
Quite a few of Beatles' songs were covers.

Old November 19th, 2009, 10:20 am
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
^ While I dislike both of those songs an awful lot, I agree that country covers of other genres are generally not good. Crossing over genres with covers seems to be very much hit and miss from what I can tell, unless you get songs like White Wedding which has been covered by quite a few artists spanning various genres and all have a different, but good, take on it. Same with Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence.
But when crossover covers work they really work. And even if they fail cringeably, in a way I prefer that to people who cover a song and make it sound exactly the same as the original (or, in some cases, an earlier cover), copying every single detail of the previous singer's phrasing. Why bother doing a cover at all if you're not going to make it your own?

e.g. I used to love Simply Red's cover of "Money's Too Tight To Mention" until i heard the original and realised how slavishly Hucknall had copied the phrasing.

Old November 19th, 2009, 10:31 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Nouvelle Vague make bossa nova covers of (mostly) new wave songs (all three expressions mean "new wave" in French, Potuguese, and English (obviously) respectively, which I find very neat) and they do it superbly. I especially love their rendition of The Clash's Guns Of Brixton - the original is heavily influenced by reggae, and the cover version is bossa nova, of course, but it works like clockwork. If you are into cover versions but haven't listened to them, I'd highly recommend their stuff. Very imaginatively done.

Old November 19th, 2009, 11:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Nouvelle Vague make bossa nova covers of (mostly) new wave songs (all three expressions mean "new wave" in French, Potuguese, and English (obviously) respectively, which I find very neat)
That's a really clever conceit. I've just checked out their stuff on last.fm (which was probably a bad idea, as they're just going to chuck even more chillout and ambient at me in their recommendations. I don't know why they think that if you like TGU and folk then you must really love ambient. I do like some ambient, usually in small doses, but most of what last is throwing at me makes me feel like I'm at a yoga class or am on the telephone and have been put on hold.). Anyway, back to Nouvelle Vague - very clever, beautifully done, but I'm probably a bit too attached to the originals - New Wave really was my era.

Old November 20th, 2009, 11:17 pm
Sixth Year

I do like Limp Bizkit's version of 'Behind Blue Eyes' over The Who's IMO. Maybe it's because I heard Limp Bizkit's version first. I don't like any other Limp Bizkit's songs.

Pink Floyd's 'Another Brick in the Wall' over Korn's version. I do like Korn's version, but I think the original is better.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old November 21st, 2009, 12:46 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
and any cover versions done so far have been deeply, deeply misguided are "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin
There is an album Stairways to Heaven which compiles a series of covers done (mostly) by Australian tribute bands in the style of the band they play but without the tedious guitar solo. So the Beatnix played a Beatle-esque version, Rock Lobsters did it in the style of the B-52s.

Rolf Harris went to number one in the UK with his version I believe.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old November 21st, 2009, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
There is an album Stairways to Heaven which compiles a series of covers done (mostly) by Australian tribute bands in the style of the band they play but without the tedious guitar solo.
Ooh, sacrilege! You're trying to annoy me now, aren't you?

Quote:
So the Beatnix played a Beatle-esque version, Rock Lobsters did it in the style of the B-52s.
Actually, that does sound kind of interesting.

Quote:
Rolf Harris went to number one in the UK with his version I believe.
So? Being number one is not, in itself, an indicator of quality.

Old November 21st, 2009, 11:16 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
So? Being number one is not, in itself, an indicator of quality.
Of course not. Speaks volumes of the British record buying public though.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:25 pm
Suteki da ne

As an aside- you're talking about the country that made "Whats'a Matter You?" number one over Vienna by Ultravox...

There's a band that my brother likes that does rock versions of songs such as Brown Eyed Girl, Blowin in the Wind, and I can't remember what they're called...they're American I think...and I quite like their cover versions

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old December 3rd, 2009, 3:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
As an aside- you're talking about the country that made "Whats'a Matter You?" number one over Vienna by Ultravox...
I was thinking of that, but hadn't mentioned it out of loyalty to my nation

I quite like the cover version of Guns'n'Roses' Sweet Child Of Mine they're using on the John Lewis Christmas ads. I read who it was by this morning, but I've forgotten. Very, very different from the original, but not in a car crash sense.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 3:58 pm
Second Year

1. Which cover versions, in your opinion, are much better than the original?
4hero's cover of Les Fleurs, originally by Minnie Ripperton
D'Influence's cover of Rock With You, originally by Michael Jackson

2. Which are excitingly different?
Not exactly cover versions, more reinterpretations, but Ready or Not by The Fugees (originally by The Delfonics) and Young Forever by Jay-Z (originally by Alphaville) would both qualify for me.

3. Which cover versions, in your opinion, fail to live up to the original?
Just Can't Get Enough by The Saturdays, originally by Depeche Mode
Atomic by Sleeper, originally by Blondie
Pretty much every version of Stand By Me by Ben E. King

4. Are there any songs which, in your view, were done so perfectly by the original artist that any attempt to cover them is something akin to sacrilege?
How Can You Mend a Broken Heart by Al Green
Don't Stop Believing by Journey (Which unfortunately I have read is going to be the single for the X-Factor winner)
Sister Christian by Night Ranger
The Universal by Blur

Old December 6th, 2009, 5:47 pm
Suteki da ne

Quote:
I was thinking of that, but hadn't mentioned it out of loyalty to my nation
Haha, yeah, I did hesitate myself but I thought, what better proof to show that certain people in my country have more money than sense?

I actually like a cover version by the Simpsons- I can't remember what it was but it was on their Simpsons Sing the Blues CD

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old February 21st, 2010, 9:14 pm
First Year

The Monster Goes Rawrr's cover of Tik Tok http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5-25Ne47DY

Mindy White's and Anthony Green's Baby It's Cold Outside http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st3OshYNVBA

This guy's cover of Bad Romance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9GWLC1xl8

Christofer Drew's Seven Years cover.

4. Are there any songs which, in your view, were done so perfectly by the original artist that any attempt to cover them is something akin to sacrilege?

Any cover of any song sang by Craig Owens or Anthony Green will never ever be even worth listening to.
Especially Seven Years by Anthony Green and Lindsay Quit Lollygagging by Chiodos(Craig Owens sings it)

^Made by leah49, thank you so much!

The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure.

Then Teach Me To See With My Ears, So I'll Find Out What True Beauty Really Is

My Regulus Black FanFic: It Doesn't Really Matter http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=123698

I've Been Sorted.
Old February 26th, 2010, 10:56 pm
Second Year

Johnny Cash's rendition of NIN's Hurt was brilliantly creepy and spine-tingling. IMO it's the gold standard for covers. Of course Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah was awesome as well. Tool once did a pretty good cover of Kyuss' Demon Cleaner. And there was Nirvana's MTV Unplugged performance where they covered the old Leadbelly song Where Did You Sleep Last Night? which was also hauntingly brilliant.

Once again, the Cash version of Hurt. Marilyn Manson's Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This was pretty wierd and cool as well. Then, once again, Nirvana's acoustic cover of David Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World.

I saw a Metallica tribute concert where Avril covered Fuel. It was terrible. Also no list of **** covers can not mention Celine Dion murdering the almighty Acca Dacca's You Shook Me All Night Long.

There are a few. Stairway to Heaven, Smells Like Teen Spirit, most Jam songs, you get the picture.

5. Any other thoughts on cover versions?
If you're gonna cover a song, put your own spin on it.

"We Slytherins are brave, but not stupid." - Phineas Nigellus Black.

"Dreams like this must die." - RIP Andy Wood.
Old March 20th, 2010, 12:40 am

"I Heard It Through The Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye is another song that seems to be almost impossible to do a bad cover of - I've heard it done so many times, in so many genres, and it almost always sounds fantastic. I recently heard The Slits' punk/reggae version which is awesome and I've also heard Billy Bragg do a great folk acoustic version live.

Mind you, I think this goes for a lot of Motown, which is probably testimony to the quality of the songwriting.

Old March 25th, 2010, 3:15 pm
Too MAGENTA for a UT

One cover version which I prefer to the original is David Bowie's rendition of Across The Universe. I find John's singing in the original to be a little lacklustre at certain points, whereas Bowie never stops putting the feeling into it, IMO. I also love the fact that the backing vocals are done by John.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old April 9th, 2010, 7:17 am
Registered Animagus

^ I'd agree with you on that one.

Covers which are, in my opinion, better than the original-
1. Just about every single version of White Wedding (love the song but think other artists have vastly improved on the original).
2. The Damned's cover of Ballroom Blitz by The Sweet (no particular reason, just personal taste).
3. Placebo's cover of Running Up That Hill by Kate Bush (this is an example of a cover being very different to the original. Kate Bush's version is far more upbeat and happy. Placebo's version is quite depressing IMO but I honestly think it suits the lyrics better. They do a beautiful job of it, it's haunting). Placebo also do a great cover of 20th Century Boy by T.Rex (but the original is unbeatable IMO).
4. Goon Moon's cover of Every Christian Lion Hearted Man Will Show You by the Bee Gees.
5. Anberlin's cover of Like A Rolling Stone I think is just as good as the original (but wouldn't dare say it's better, I fear the angry mob).

Old April 9th, 2010, 7:36 pm
Second Year

I really love Taylor Swift's cover of the song "Drive" originally by Alan Jackson. She also does a great cover of "Run" by George Strait and another song called "Untouchable".
Everything she sings is great, though! =)

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

POTTERMORE SORTED
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)