Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Magical Masterpieces

General Graphics Questions

Old February 1st, 2009, 11:27 pm
Professor

Re: General Graphics Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
Ooh that's handy B! Thank's for sharing
no problem. i had a font fever some time ago and i really needed a program to help me with the fonts. i have about 1000 fonts (not many, i know), and most of them are not installed because they make the computer slower (not all the time, only when the program uses fonts). i use the FontPreview to choose the ones i need to install/uninstall.

have you guys heard of Aviary? it's a site with some graphic tools and they have an online image editor, the Phoenix, that looks like Photoshop. with the layers and blending modes and other stuff. i never really tried it, because it takes a lot to load, but it looks good in the demo.

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:14 am
Formerly Known as 82

I just took a look at the Aviary program. It's pretty comparable to GIMP though it's not as user friendly yet. I think that it will take a few more versions to take off but it's very promising. I really enjoyed the levels and saturation tools offered The tutorials on the main web site are amazing and have lots of great tips that I think could be applied to most programs

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Old February 2nd, 2009, 1:04 am
Secret Keeper

I kind of feel like taking a look at GIMP, just to try it. But i'm just so used to Photoshop at this point

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old February 2nd, 2009, 4:02 am
Second Year

Once you go photoshop everything else seems.. horrible.
I used photoshop at a photography course I've been taking, but I don't have it at home. Now that I don't take that course Anymore, its just... horrible.

And yes, indeed she will...
Dance The Night Away..
Old February 2nd, 2009, 4:07 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
http://www.any-video-converter.com/p...or_video_free/ This site is wonderful, you can use it to download youtube videos or upload any movies you have and convert them. I just looked and i'm not sure if it converts quicktime files but either way, downloading a youtube vid to wma and using windows movie maker to slow down the clips helps a LOT too
That looks like a good program for converting to a lot of formats. Good to know, thanks. It doesn't look like you can convert to MOV (quicktime) but you can use it to convert from a MOV. I have an editing program that I can use to make quicktimes though, but as I said it's an extra step, which could be worth it depending...

Old February 2nd, 2009, 4:16 am
I want to believe

I have a general photoshop question that I've been wondering about for a long time. To this day, upon start-up, I continue to get a message asking me if I want to register my photoshop. When I first installed the program I did in fact register it - multiple times. But the message keeps coming up, and I can't get rid of it. It's really just an annoyance, but I'd like to find some way to get rid of it. Anyone have any advice/ideas?

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old February 2nd, 2009, 4:34 am
Formerly Known as 82

Are you running photoshop as the Administrator? Open the start menu, right click Photoshop's shortcut and click "Run as Administrator". Then click "Do not register" when you receive the prompt in Photoshop. You won't be prompted again after this. Ive had the same deal with my PSP

Old February 2nd, 2009, 9:55 am
Winning Teamster

Two questions.....

First, a question on Photoshop (I use PS 7).

Is there a more elegant way than the shear filter (which is very tedious for the purpose, and needs extremely careful handling) to bend a design, including text, along a curve?

I would want to do this quite often, and can't find a PS way of doing it properly.

Second, a question on fonts.

I would be rather interested in making my own fonts. Does anyone know how to go about that? I was always hoping to discover some software that allows you to drop designs for letters in the appropriate slots of the font set (or something of that kind), but I can't find anything appropriate. I think that making fonts would be fun!

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old February 2nd, 2009, 2:51 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
http://www.any-video-converter.com/p...or_video_free/ This site is wonderful, you can use it to download youtube videos or upload any movies you have and convert them. I just looked and i'm not sure if it converts quicktime files but either way, downloading a youtube vid to wma and using windows movie maker to slow down the clips helps a LOT too
This is the program I have always used. You download it though. It has little quirks and such, but overall it converts any type of video to numerous formats and also will strip sound from a movie for you into a separate sound file (wav). I actually have a better program for that though because AVC doesn't always do so good a job with the sound files. AVC has settings though, so check them out before using - it will convert your movie to a number of different formatted sizes with differing quality, so to ensure you get what you want, hit the option buttons before you have a go. It is great though.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 2:54 pm
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
I would be rather interested in making my own fonts. Does anyone know how to go about that? I was always hoping to discover some software that allows you to drop designs for letters in the appropriate slots of the font set (or something of that kind), but I can't find anything appropriate. I think that making fonts would be fun!
i don't know much about that, but there's a thread about it. started by Kimagine.

How to Make Your Own True Tupe Font

Old February 2nd, 2009, 9:31 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
I think kimagine has made a font for herself. You might want to ask her how she did it

Old February 3rd, 2009, 6:11 am
Formerly Known as 82

Does anyone have a favorite method of coloring LOST caps? For the life of me I cant get the colors to look natural. I use Paintshop Pro so no selective coloring I can do most anything else.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Lycanthrope

What is a "Lost" cap?

Old February 3rd, 2009, 4:35 pm
Formerly Known as 82

From the tv show Lost, the caps have lots of saturated greens and the icons just look goofy. For many fandoms there are tips and tricks with dealing with the caps based on the general brightness/contrast and overall color scheme.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 5:05 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Are you running photoshop as the Administrator? Open the start menu, right click Photoshop's shortcut and click "Run as Administrator". Then click "Do not register" when you receive the prompt in Photoshop. You won't be prompted again after this. Ive had the same deal with my PSP
Thanks Vita, that solved it!

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old February 3rd, 2009, 5:36 pm
Snape Lover

Here is a decent tutorial, though the blue-green is still a bit much. I'd replace the last two coloring layers with #F246E8 (a bright pink) set on soft light and maybe a brown (on a low opacity). Using that and adjusting brightness/contrast I got this:

which isn't amazing, but's better than the lime green of so many of them IMO gives you a good skin tone at least

Old February 3rd, 2009, 5:37 pm
Lycanthrope

Quote:
From the tv show Lost, the caps have lots of saturated greens and the icons just look goofy. For many fandoms there are tips and tricks with dealing with the caps based on the general brightness/contrast and overall color scheme.
Ahhh LOL. I have never seen the caps associated with that show - but that is interesting.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 6:37 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I have a question regarding sharpening an image--making it more clear. How do you guys do it? I've followed tutorials and the like and my images are still a bit fuzzy. I'm using Gimp. I don't make the image bigger than the original or anything like that. I save it in .png. I don't know what to do!

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 6:45 pm
Formerly Known as 82

Here is a link to a tutorial I made for my basic base prep.

The main thing is to start with a HQ image to begin with. It might take some time to find but it's worth it. Also, have you tried applying the sharpening option more than once? Sometimes it takes 2 or three times with images to get the sharpness you want. However, when you sharpen more than once more than likely the skin will be too pixelly so you'll have to go in with the softening tool and smooth the skin out.

Here is a tutorial I found that is specifically for sharpening in GIMP. It's quite a few steps but the result is nice. But remember, the biggest help you can have is high quality images to start out with.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:28 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I think I'm starting with high quality images. Would clarity lessen if you continously shrink the image? I'll check out those tutorials. Thanks so much!

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Magical Masterpieces