Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Lyrics, Video, Voice or Melody?

Old December 4th, 2008, 1:56 am
Secret Keeper

Lyrics, Video, Voice or Melody?

What's most important to you in a song? The lyrics, the music video, the type of voice singing or the melody?

personally, I prefer the melody and voice. I rarely find good lyrics that I feel are meaningful or apply to me. There are many songs with good melodies and good vocals which is what I need to listen to.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2008, 3:28 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Re: Lyrics, Video, Voice or Melody?

Depends on the song. In general, I'd say:

1. Type of voice singing. Someone with a really individual, expressive voice could be singing the telephone directory on one note, and it would still sound beautiful to me. (But there has to be something original about the voice -some of my favourite singers find it challenging to stay in key for more than two bars at a time, but there's just something about their voice that moves me to tears, while there are singers with technically perfect voices which leave me cold.)

2. The arrangement (I know you didn't give this option, but it's important. That's why cover versions can be radically better or worse than the original.)

3. The melody

4 The lyrics (altough most of my friends would dispute me putting it this low down - they're always telling me I'm the only person alive who listens to lyrics and that I place far too much importance on them)

I'd say the video was totally and utterly irrelevant (half the time I never see them, anyway), although a good one can enhance the experience even more.

Old December 4th, 2008, 6:45 pm
Second Year

Its all about the lyrics to me, if the lyrics arent worth singing why sing them, unless the songs are promoting change what good are they cause for me music is about pashion and love and anger, and if your words are just things to create a song then they are not usefull, songs should be made to create words and from these words, ideals. Yes ofcourse instruments are needed for a good melody and a good melody makes a great song more memorable, a "good" voice is not neciserally what will work for the song, some songs need to be shouted or spoken rather than sung in a conventenal manner, a video is a just a way for your song to gain more airplay to raise its hearings so that your message reachers further. it all leads back to the lyrics

Also the awsomeness of Hermione3000 and her stories Stillness of the Night
and
The Choices one Makes
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:08 am
Second Year

Defiantly voice and melody. It needs to be something that instantly catches my attention.
That's what reminds me of Jack's Mannequin. They have the most awesome sound and Andrew's voice is amazing.

I could say 'I love you' - and I do. You're the only one I want - now and forever. The only future I want lies with you...
Take my heart with you. It follows you ... Always
I love a good romance, me

"...and to you, if you have stuck with Harry until the very end."
Old December 5th, 2008, 12:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
Its all about the lyrics to me, if the lyrics arent worth singing why sing them, unless the songs are promoting change what good are they cause for me music is about pashion and love and anger
Muisc's about that for me, too, but I think the actual quality of the lyrics is less important than the sentiments behind them and the passion/integrity with which they're sung. It often happens with me that when I hear a song, the lyrics come across as amazingly wise and profound and perfect and they have a powerful effect on me, but later on, when I see them written down, I'm surprised by how trite and ordinary...sometimes even naff... they seem. What gave them the power was the way that they were sung and the sincerity behind them. That's why I put voice first.

Old December 5th, 2008, 5:51 am
Registered Animagus

For me it's the music. As a musician I love listening to each instrument individually and picking out the different things the musicians do. I mean I love singers with a great voice too but if I had to pick one, it would be the music. Second most important is voice, then lyrics. I don't think the video is important in any way shape or form I haven't seen a video that made go "WOW" in years.

Old December 5th, 2008, 8:16 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
For me it's the music. As a musician I love listening to each instrument individually and picking out the different things the musicians do.
me too
I couldn't decide, as long as its expressive, and fits the song well, and has that certain, energy in it, I like, I'm good...but I do find myself looking at lyrics before I get an album, just to get a taster, and its the easiest thing to sample....but that's maybe my writer inside of me noticing that...I don't know, depends on the song

won't be easy to do
are you this restless too?

Insomniatic-Aly and Aj = Best Song Ever

Old December 5th, 2008, 9:44 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
Muisc's about that for me, too, but I think the actual quality of the lyrics is less important than the sentiments behind them and the passion/integrity with which they're sung. It often happens with me that when I hear a song, the lyrics come across as amazingly wise and profound and perfect and they have a powerful effect on me, but later on, when I see them written down, I'm surprised by how trite and ordinary...sometimes even naff... they seem. What gave them the power was the way that they were sung and the sincerity behind them. That's why I put voice first.
That's actually a really good point. Until you said that, I was thinking I would go for lyrics - but I was thinking about a song I considered beautiful the other day and when I quoted the lyrics to a friend - it sounded a little lame. It was the way the song was sung, the arrangement and the melody that made it what it was.

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old December 5th, 2008, 10:55 am
Second Year

Melody easily. For me, if a song has a poor melody then it is a poor song, regardless of how good the lyrics, voice or video is, and a good melody can carry a poor voice, poor lyrics or a poor video. I listen to a lot of dance music anyway, and a good proportion of this doesn't even have any singing in, or if it does, it's very little. Even when there is some singing, the lyrics are pretty generic and mundane, usually about love, e.g.

Quote:
Come take my hand,
And lead me to the land,
Where dreams come true,
For me and you,
In a magical wonderland
To be honest, I've never really understood the need for all songs to have some deep meaning. Whilst there's nothing wrong with songs that do, I also don't think that songs that don't have any deep meaning are lesser in any way. For example, two of my favourite hip-hop songs, one of them is about fast food and the other is about breakfast cereal. Not exactly heavy topics, but I don't think that they are any less valid than, for example, Public Enemy's politically charged songs.

Old December 5th, 2008, 10:26 pm
Banned

1. The person singing has to be a good singer. If they aren't able to sing then I'm not going to listen.

2. Same goes with the melody. If it's a bad melody then I'm not going to listen to it.

3. The lyrics do matter and they are very important to making a good song. Sometimes though songs can have a good melody and a good singer without good lyrics and still be a nice song.

4. I don't really care about the music videos. Some songs have pretty cool music videos with meanings, but others aren't very good.

Old December 9th, 2008, 12:03 pm
First Year

Atmosphere and emotion, preferably coupled to good melodies.
What also helps are (personally or politically) relevant lyrics sung in a manner that makes you go "WOW! The dude/dudette is RIGHT!"

Music has to engulf me, move me, incite me to action, make me think or feel... else it's just muzak.

It's the rumble of the old ways a-falling, you can feel it if you try
You can feel it if you try

Phil Ochs
Old December 10th, 2008, 1:56 am
Qvack...

I think it's all pretty important.. except the video, because the video won't change my hearing of the song. if I see the video, and if it has genuine feeling and thought behind it- something from Bob Dylan in the old days, or Radiohead and REM today, then those make sense to me and they do add a lot to my comprehension and viewpoint. But those would be a minority, to be honest, so the videos importance for me is relegated to a back seat.

THE DUCK.

Old December 11th, 2008, 4:38 am
Fifth Year

This is a hard question... I think I'd say voice and lyrics tied at the top followed very closely by melody. Melody's only behind because sometimes the rhythm of the lyrics becomes the focus of the music rather than the ups and downs in the lyrics.

Old December 12th, 2008, 12:43 am
Fourth Year

... I'm all about the lyrics.. (Which is why I don't like instrumentals) ..
The music is important too... I don't care at all if there's a video ^^;;

.. One of the reasons I like NIN so much, is because the lyrics mean something to me...

When injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.
Old December 12th, 2008, 5:57 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
in a way thats what i was trying to convey, i think the sentiments behind the lyrics as you have said is very important, the lyrics dont have to be the best aslong as the message you are sending is worth it, but in some cases having to simplistic lyrics could remove the thoughts meant to be displayed by the song.

The Nightwatchman aka Tom Morello from Rage Against the machine said: "Good songs make you tap your feet and get with your girl, great songs destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs, i am only intrested in writing great songs."

but upon looking at the lyrics of his solo albums, "one Man Revolution" and "The Fabled city" (i would recommend these to anyone whose involved in social activism(or just likes acuoustic/folk)) some of the lyrics are so simplistic that its creates an easily accessable song for almost anyone, but the hidding meanings in the song are harder to reach but become obvious once you have come to the conclusion.

and
The Choices one Makes
Old December 12th, 2008, 9:35 pm

Quote:
The Nightwatchman aka Tom Morello from Rage Against the machine said: "Good songs make you tap your feet and get with your girl, great songs destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs, i am only intrested in writing great songs."
That's a great quotation. Yes, you/he are right, lyrics can start riots and topple governments.

Quote:
but upon looking at the lyrics of his solo albums, "one Man Revolution" and "The Fabled city" (i would recommend these to anyone whose involved in social activism(or just likes acuoustic/folk)) some of the lyrics are so simplistic that its creates an easily accessable song for almost anyone, but the hidding meanings in the song are harder to reach but become obvious once you have come to the conclusion
I will have to check him out, as I love intelligent, politically engaged lyrics and like folk.

The more I think about it, though, my favourite music just has to have passion behind it. Sometimes the passion is for the subject matter that the song is about, sometimes the passion is merely for the music itself (which is probably why I can still love Transglobal Underground, even though it often doesn't have lyrics, or has lyrics in Bulgarian or Arabic or Hindi). It really does depend on the song. The only thing I can't stand is insincere, conveyor-belt manufactured music.

Old December 13th, 2008, 10:07 pm
Second Year

yeah, passion is an intregal part of music, without it its nothing, and what you said about music in different languages, i totaly agree, i have a song called Comandante Che Guevara by Natilie Corodona(i think), and its entirely in spanish but theres so much powe r behind her voice its is beautiful, and moving.

and
The Choices one Makes
Old December 14th, 2008, 4:28 am
First Year

Melody mostly, but sometimes voice...

Old December 14th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Its all about the lyrics to me, if the lyrics arent worth singing why sing them, unless the songs are promoting change what good are they cause for me music is about pashion and love and anger, and if your words are just things to create a song then they are not usefull, songs should be made to create words and from these words, ideals. Yes ofcourse instruments are needed for a good melody and a good melody makes a great song more memorable, a "good" voice is not neciserally what will work for the song, some songs need to be shouted or spoken rather than sung in a conventenal manner, a video is a just a way for your song to gain more airplay to raise its hearings so that your message reachers further. it all leads back to the lyrics
As long as the singer isn't lying through their teeth about the lyrics, and they seem to have some deeper meaning, lyrics is ok for me. That's just one of the many reasons why I hate Hannah Montana. I'm pumping up the party now? Anyways, a singer can put emotion into their music with or without lyrics. For example, sometimes, Bjork can just sort of completely deviate from lyrics and just sing gibberish, but you can really tell how much emotion she puts into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
For me it's the music. As a musician I love listening to each instrument individually and picking out the different things the musicians do. I mean I love singers with a great voice too but if I had to pick one, it would be the music. Second most important is voice, then lyrics. I don't think the video is important in any way shape or form I haven't seen a video that made go "WOW" in years.
I love picking out the instruments too. I remember my old earphones, if you unplugged them slightly you could hear only instruments and no lyrics. It was really cool because you could hear the melody without the lyrics and it just sounded great. I definitely like singers with good voices. a singer's voice is their instrument, just like a violinist's instrument is a violin. I would rather listen to a really good violin than a poor quality squeaky violin that makes my ears hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
I think it's all pretty important.. except the video, because the video won't change my hearing of the song. if I see the video, and if it has genuine feeling and thought behind it- something from Bob Dylan in the old days, or Radiohead and REM today, then those make sense to me and they do add a lot to my comprehension and viewpoint. But those would be a minority, to be honest, so the videos importance for me is relegated to a back seat.
most videos are completely meaningless though. I had a friend who would make me listen to music vids and she would try to decipher the meaning behind it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroi_shi View Post
... I'm all about the lyrics.. (Which is why I don't like instrumentals) ..
The music is important too... I don't care at all if there's a video ^^;;

.. One of the reasons I like NIN so much, is because the lyrics mean something to me...
I can absolutely never connect to lyrics...

Quote:
yeah, passion is an intregal part of music, without it its nothing, and what you said about music in different languages, i totaly agree, i have a song called Comandante Che Guevara by Natilie Corodona(i think), and its entirely in spanish but theres so much powe r behind her voice its is beautiful, and moving.
I love listening to different languages now. I never listen to lyrics anyways, so whatever, it's better to not have to anyways

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 15th, 2008, 3:01 am
She Who Walks Behind

Voice and Melody

I don't care about lyrics as I don't understand what they are singing most of the time. Most important thing is that it feels good and then I don't care if they sing about stupid things all the time. And as I hardly watch music channels, is the video not important at all.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)