Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Plot twists in movies you never saw coming?

Old September 30th, 2008, 9:28 pm
Qvack...

Re: Plot twists in movies you never saw coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliope View Post
I'm throwing in my two cents on American Psycho, since freelantzer was kind enough to let me know this discussion was happening (cheers! ):

I don't think he did it. Two reasons: One, it's just plain ambiguous and confusing at the end. Two:
Spoiler: show
I had my doubts when he yelled at the female bartender in the very beginning when she wouldn't take his drink ticket. If you've ever been face-to-face with a bartender, especially in New York, believe me, they will NOT let that kind of back-talk slide. She should've turned around and shredded him, and the fact that she didn't immediately made me wonder if he said anything to her out loud. Also, if you watch closely (and this is the cinematography geek in me coming out), he's yelling in a mirror. Mirrors are used a *lot* in films to portray something other than what's really there.

Then there's the brief shot of him gulping down some kind of medication before he kills Paul Allen - again, while looking in a mirror. That leaves the entire following scene open for debate as far as credibility.

Also, I wonder about the title of the movie. You assume that 'psycho' refers to the fact that he's a killing machine and totally devoid of emotion, but does it? It could mean any kind of psychological problem. Maybe he's delusional, paranoid, depressed - or all of the above. And then there are the sketches that Jean finds in his datebook. The first time we see a sketch is when he's absently drawing on the paper tablecloth at his lunch with Evelyn. The sketch is an exact replica of the girl he's supposedly killed with a chainsaw in the previous scene. What does that mean? Why is he thinking of her then? My view is that he never killed anyone, but imagined that whole scenario in his head while he was actually at lunch with Evelyn - this also explains his coworkers vouching for his alibi at the time when he thought he was killing Paul Allen - and then drew the final result, after which he's back in the 'present,' with Evelyn.

*phew* Okay, I'm done for now, haha. But yeah, I don't think he did it.
I think we need an American Psycho thread. I'll put it in film, but we'll cross reference where necessary. Good idea?

When I first saw Chicken Run, I didn't know chickens couldn't fly. That was on odd twist for me, huh?

THE DUCK.

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2008, 2:38 pm
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

^That might be a good idea. Obviously we have a *lot* to talk about, and we don't want to take over this thread, heh.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:22 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
The one that comes to mind first is in the Prestige, when we figure out what's really happening during Hugh Jackman's magic trick, and when we find out how the other magician (I can't recall who plays him at the moment) was doing his trick.
There's defenitly some stuff in that movie that you would never see coming.

Old October 2nd, 2008, 8:20 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiricduck View Post
Christian Bale! And yes, this was a great one. Also, the Sixth Sense one.

Also...

The Others
They are all ghosts! I never saw it coming!!

The Empire Strikes Back
Leia is Luke’s sister and Darth Vader is their father! Shock horror! Best one ever!

Planet of the Apes
It is the future Planet Earth after an atomic war.
I guess I didn't pay attention to it that much, I realized it in Return of the Jedi instead.

I first saw Planet of the Apes on TMC. Then they showed the sequels back to back but it went on to 3 am and I fell asleep in the beginning of the 3rd. Great movies.

I saw the behind the scenes footage of the sixth sense, the director said he made the movie so that it would not contradict the ending. Like the dinner scene where Malcolm sits in the chair. He doesn't pull the chair back, nor does he touch the bill, so the wife actually doesn't see anything spooky. It is as if she is alone. Somebody here said there were mistakes though, what were they???

Ah found the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
That's one of the nicest plot wtists by (more) recent movies I think, definitely didn't see itc oming. There're some small mistakes when one knows, still in my opinion that's a minor, but the effect still works.

Star Wars might have had one of the most surprising twists, while not exactly a new one. It's not stunning any more when one sees similar things in nowaday movies, still
Vader being daddy must habe been quite surprising for past cinema visitors
I can't think of any sixth sense mistakes :/

Last edited by EXPELIAMUS; October 2nd, 2008 at 8:29 pm.
Old November 16th, 2008, 5:29 am
Second Year

Fight Club. 50 First dates spoiled The Sixth Sense's twist for me, but I doubt I would have seen it coming anyway.

Old November 19th, 2008, 9:14 am
Second Year

Godfather 2

It wasn't a miscarriage

and

When Michael and Kay see each other for the last time, she just stands there outside without saying a word. And Michael closing the door on her in the end

I've seen the first two movies. I have to watch Part III.

Old December 7th, 2008, 3:31 am
First Year

My top would be The Usual Suspects... At first I kind of caught on but it was so well shot that it threw me off...still a great movie though.

The Sixth Sense would have been O.K. if the hints weren't so blunt... I caught on right away.

Fight Club was cool... but overrated.

Then ...Planet of the Apes...

Old December 8th, 2008, 6:42 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

I have to agree with people who said Fight Club. There was a moment where I almost figured it out, but the movie kept barrelling along, taking me right with it. If I had had a moment to stop and think about it, I might have figured it out. But I knew something was up--the whole time I was trying to figure out the twist, but I was thinking more along the lines of scenes being out of sequence or something like that. But yeah, it was a pretty good twist.

Old December 14th, 2008, 6:18 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euric_Soze View Post
My top would be The Usual Suspects... At first I kind of caught on but it was so well shot that it threw me off...still a great movie though.

The Sixth Sense would have been O.K. if the hints weren't so blunt... I caught on right away.

Fight Club was cool... but overrated.

Then ...Planet of the Apes...
The twist in the Sixth Sense was a good one. Personally, I think what ruined it, was not so much the obviousness you mention, but that there was so much talk about a huge twist in it. Every review, everyone who'd seen it mentioned the fact that there was a big twist at the end. When you hear that so much, it gets you thinking way too much about the twist as you're watching the film, rather than just following it.
And to be honest, the fact that it's about a boy who "sees dead people" kind of limits the options for a twist

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old December 15th, 2008, 2:13 am
Qvack...

I don't know if this one has been mentioned, but the Guy Ritchie film Revolver is just a blur to me.. I thought I understood it, but I've changed my mind. It makes no sense at all. Now, I'm not stupid, so I'm beginning to think that perhaps this is, in fact, the point?

THE DUCK.

Old December 18th, 2008, 9:06 pm
Seventh Year

Psycho... the original one... Nice twist that nearly gave me a heart attack... I don't want it for those who haven't seen that movie but the part where we see the mother for the first time is scary and soooo twisted that you wouldn't have seen it coming from a mile... Maybe that's why Afred Hitchcock is considered one of the greatest directors of all time

The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders...
Old June 23rd, 2009, 5:48 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalguy View Post
One for me is The Usual Suspects.
Totally! Love the movie

I wasn't too surprised that Verbal Kint was Keyser Soze. I sort of did have an inkling about that. But I was really blown away by how he had constructed his story by using names from everything he sees in the room where Kujan interrogates him. Kevin Spacey is so awesome and the final 5 minutes of the film are mind blowing

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old June 23rd, 2009, 6:15 pm
Sixth Year

The Uninvited with Emily Browning. I was absolutely shocked when it was over.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:29 pm
Secret Keeper

EW has a great article highlighting 22 of the best twists in cinema history (looks like you guys named most of them)

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20206341,00.html

Quote:
You have to click on "The Twist?" in each entry to read about it, so if you're a spoiler-phobe, it's worry-free. (If you're not a spoiler-phobe, you're one click away from knowing what all the fuss was about on any of the movies you missed.)
I'll add a couple more I don't see there and haven't been mentioned yet. American Beauty and Righteous Kill, both were quite shocking.

Oh, and I agree with those that said PotC 3...I didn't see that coming and I was quite ticked with how that played out

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old June 29th, 2009, 3:40 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Oh, and I agree with those that said PotC 3...I didn't see that coming and I was quite ticked with how that played out
Yeah, it was unexpected and I was a bit upset with
the fate of Elizabeth and Will's relationship
, too. At the same time, I couldn't help thinking, Disney of all studios, gave us a
bittersweet ending
(and to a blockbuster, to top it off), fair play to them for having the guts to go against type.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:09 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
EW has a great article highlighting 22 of the best twists in cinema history (looks like you guys named most of them)

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20206341,00.html

I'll add a couple more I don't see there and haven't been mentioned yet. American Beauty and Righteous Kill, both were quite shocking.

Interesting article, lc .

I remember that twist from the Sixth Sense... it definitely caught me off guard...

And the one from Star Wars -- pretty much fits it...

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; June 30th, 2009 at 12:29 am.
Old July 17th, 2009, 8:30 am
Third Year

Sixth Sense (of course, everyone ruined it for me before I even saw it... but all in all, brilliant).

Pan's Labyrinth

I would have never guessed that she had imagined that whole world just to escape her reality.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail ending.

Planet of the Apes.

This shirt is great for anyone who hasn't seen it. It's called the Spoiler Shirt (obviously). WARNING: It ruins a lot of movies.

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes – glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE

Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.

Last edited by hplova15165; July 17th, 2009 at 8:36 am.
Old July 19th, 2009, 7:40 pm
Fifth Year

Another vote for The Usual Suspects.

Old July 20th, 2009, 12:45 am
First Year

Did anyone mention the film "Memento" with Guy Pearce? It was written and directed by Christopher Nolan, the same guy who directed the new "Batman" films. That one had a very clever twist ending, in my opinion. Interestingly structured plot to reach it. Definitely worth your time!

I was also blown away by the ending of "The Shawshank Redemption". Didn't know anything about it before I saw it, and the ending was simply fantastic!

Of course, I'll also put in another vote for "The Sixth Sense".

And, although I did not like it much myself, and knew the ending before I saw it, I suppose the film "Citizen Kane" has what is considered the father of all twist endings.

Old July 29th, 2009, 6:25 pm
First Year

Fight Club was definitely the biggest for me
Tyler Durden was imaginary

Also the Dark Knight was pretty cool when
the Joker told Bruce the wrong location for each hostage

http://www.motifake.com/demotivational-poster/0902/cats-demotivational-poster-1234306438.jpg

"Dobby is used to death threats, sir. Dobby gets them five times a day at home."

"Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain.

Slytherin rules!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion