Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Discovering your idea is already 'taken'

Old August 31st, 2008, 4:19 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Discovering your idea is already 'taken'

Sometimes I face this problem too, but I think that the saying 'great minds think alike' could be applied here. Perhaps we could view it positively, that we can think up these ideas which published writers have writeen in their books. In the mean time, I think we should keep our minds open, notice more things, and keep that flow of ideas strong!

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2008, 9:23 am
Second Year

well I find, or found, a couple of weeks ago, whenever I thought up an idea for a song it was very cleche and very very unoriginal, in theme and vibe, then eventually, I got that fixed and found some creative original ideas, or took some cleched ideas and turned them back to front, that is ever so useful doing that

won't be easy to do
are you this restless too?

Insomniatic-Aly and Aj = Best Song Ever

Old September 2nd, 2008, 9:02 pm
Secret Keeper

It hasn't happened to me yet...but i would be devastated if it ever did!!! I would probably try to edit my story first...or i'd totally give up. I think i should be somewhat safe...i don't usually think the way as most people, and most of what i write i have the protagonists as the "bad guys" which narrows things down, but it's still a really scary thought

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old May 1st, 2009, 4:33 am
Assistant to Professor Snape/Trapdoor Champion

This happens a lot but as I see it there is always room for expressing one's interpretation and even though a particular plotline might be taken, there are many unique innovations one can bring to a character and the surroundings. I think the screenplay of 'Slumdog Millionaire' is a good example wherein the adapted screenplay changes the settings and incorporates a very engaging background to the same events.

I cried, when I saw the "It all ends!" banner!!

But now I know, it never will....
Old May 2nd, 2009, 2:10 am
Fifth Year

Yes, I know what this is like.
I love detective stories and I began plotting out an idea I had about a woman whose granddaughter was molested and murdered by this man and when he comes to trial, it all comes out that he was charged before, about fifteen years earlier, but was found Not Guilty after the hot-shot young Defense lawyer, bullied and humiliated the main Prosecution Witness, a drug-addicted young woman who actually saw the abduction.
DNA, now proved he was guilty in that case and the grandmother blames the lawyer, for getting him off all those years ago, for her granddaughter's death, so she hatches an elaborate plan of revenge on the lawyer, culminating in kidnapping his only child, a daughter the same age as her lost granddaughter.
While still plotting this, I read P.D. James' A Certain Justice, which is about a grandmother seeking revenge on a defense lawyer who got a child killer ( who then killed her grandchild) off. She does this by arranging for the killer to meet the lawyer's teenage daughter, hoping he will kill her.

It was just too similar!

Old June 19th, 2009, 12:49 pm
First Year

For a series of books I was writing years ago (and of which I've stopped writing), one character name was taken. Remember Mr.Eko in Lost? Eko was the surname of my main character!
Also, the character names Benjall and Sark are actually placenames. Strange!

The strangest one was where the plot of my short story was the same as the beginning of the film In Bruges. And I had written in a few months before the film came out!

Old June 28th, 2009, 10:58 pm
Second Year

Ugh yes. I had my Best Idea Ever. And it was awesome, and I started writing. And then I discovered a tv show that had done almost the exact same thing before me. But so much better.

And I wanted to cry.

But I'm still using my original idea, but I changed some stuff, and I'm conscious of making sure it's quite different from said show (and it is now).

But that was a very depressing discovery (though I still love said show).

Old June 29th, 2009, 12:21 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I don't know if I posted this here, but I remember coming up with an idea to write a story about a bunch of people hanging out and call it "Friends" and then about an hour later an ad for a new TV on NBC named Friends came on.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:11 pm
First Year

I've had this happen to me on several occasions. It's frustrating, and I never finished those plots, but it's going to happen no matter what you do. I learnt that and accepted it. All you have to do is twist it up and think outside the box.

So far, with the novel I'm writing, I haven't heard of anything like it. Even if I do find something remotely similar, it's still my story, and nothing is going to change that. Each writing style is different.

Old July 24th, 2009, 8:01 am
First Year

Gosh, don't you hate that?

I was writng one day and never heard of twilight, but mine had the same basic idea I noticed when I read it, I was mad!

Proud Member of Gryffindor!!

Nice to meet you, I'm Emmalee, but please call me Emma!
Old August 1st, 2009, 12:22 am
Second Year

This is one of the reasons I am currently taken my time writing a fantasy novel. I've already spent about a month PLANNING it, and Im not even finished the plan. Once I finish the plan I intend to go over it and change certain things. One thing is for sure, Im going to squash any cliche' out to make my novel as original as possible so I intend to spend a lot of time on the planning.

I would say, if you discover your idea has been taken and you intended to get your novel/book published, there is no choice but to change it, unless you want to be told by numerous publishers that the idea has been taken and get rejected anyway.
But don't change everything, just the important elements. There's always different ways to potray things, even if those things are of similiar nature.

I won Voldemort's Excellence Award for the Fifth Task

Old August 1st, 2009, 4:17 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Stephen Fry only realised after he started that The Stars' Tennis Balls was essentially The Count of Monte Cristo so he reworked a few things to make it more of an homage and changed Mercedes to Portia.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 16th, 2011, 5:15 am
First Year

Poor us...I actually never had that problem because unfortuanatley all my ideas come out of the most recent book I had fantasized about. So, unless I stop reading(extremely fat chance) there is a slim chance of me getting past a first chapter before me realizing how familiar everything in the chapter is.

Old August 16th, 2011, 4:00 pm
Third Year

I was struck with an idea about a year ago and I knew instantly that it was my own idea, and it had never been done before. It's a sci-fi theme. I'm still pretty convinced of this. The essential theme is probably similar to other things, but then I started adding events and now it's mine. I just had a really great brain wave, I guess.

*Nikky wanted a mention*
Old August 16th, 2011, 8:45 pm
First Year

Everything idea is pretty much a recycled / reworking of an already existing idea, or a collage of several, blame post modernism!

When you find your work too similar to anothers try changing a few things, e.g the genre, location, spell a name backwards, if your character loves to go left, make them go right etc. You have to tweak your original narrative enough so it becomes more unique to you, and more distant from whatever it is similar to! Sometimes changing the form is enough to give your work more 'originality'! (Tell the story in a series of letters, diary entries or time shifts etc)

I once wrote a story that was pretty much a mirror image of a film I saw weeks after completion...so I wrote a 'fanfic' style version about two of my main characters, this ended up a MUCH better and more original story...don't ask me why it worked, but it did!

Old September 12th, 2011, 7:06 pm
First Year

I'm struggling with my idea being WAY too similar to Harry Potter. I was watching my sister in hockey school a month ago, waiting for my mom t get us poutine when the idea came to me. And I spent the rest of the hour coming up with the characters and setting and everything. But when we got home, we watched some HP, and I realized it. I was not impressed.

People are encouraging me to continue with it (just not start to write it yet), so I guess I will. It's been a task so far. :P

Old September 12th, 2011, 7:30 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Do continue and see where you go. Don't force it, but try to make it different from Harry Potter. I'm sure you can do it.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old September 12th, 2011, 8:05 pm
First Year

It'll take me years and years, anyways, to have everything plotted out. By then, I'll have some idea :P

Old January 2nd, 2012, 6:57 pm
First Year

I started the idea for my book in 5th grade, and its changed so much, but the main plot is still there. And I read a couple of books and I realized thats kind of my book all mashed into one. The books I read were: Inkheart, Matched, HP series, Wish, and a couple of others I can't remember right now. But if I do I'll post them

Old January 3rd, 2012, 3:43 am
First Year

A certain unnamed author opened a part of his book website to young and old authors:to lie cheat and steal. Simply alter your idea,and make sure names aren't the same.As long as there is no direct similarities,the plot has some alterations,you should be fine on copyright grounds.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner