Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Discovering your idea is already 'taken'

Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:19 pm
First Year

Discovering your idea is already 'taken'

Today I started re-reading the Eathsea trilogy (Ursula LeGuin) and to my astonishment I discovered that I'd used the entire magic system in my story. I hadn't done it on purpose, I really thought that I'd devised something new, something that wasn't done before - and now the idea is useless (if I ever want to publish it). I'm still going to finish the story because I can always edit the magic out, but it's still quite unnerving when you notice such a thing...

Something similar happened to me this summer. I read a book by Karen Miller (The innocent mage) and the story was almost like my NaNoWriMo novel of november 2007. The main plotline was about the same, only the characters / setting was different. That's especially horrible because I'd never read the book before...

Has this also happened to you? What do you do about it? Do you continue your story/book or not?

I'd like to hear your opinions and experiences on this.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:46 pm
First Year

Re: Discovering your idea is already 'taken'

That's actually my worst fear. I'm always revising and checking stuff and looking things up on google to make sure I'm not copying anything too much. I do not mind having a main plot be used, I mean, there's tons of versions of Hero Must Kill Bad Guy And Then Become King/Queen. It's the sub-plots I want to make unique. And it's hard. I'm constantly reading a book that's almost the same as something in my book.

Rue, even for ruth, here shortly shall be seen,
In the remembrance of a weeping queen.
~Gardener, Richard II.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:12 pm
Third Year

Oh its a terrible sinking feeling
I was in the library yesterday and there was this book called powers. And it was about this boy and girl who had powers like in my story. Not exactly alike, but close enough to make me sweat it out a bit.

You know what though, since there are so many talented writers out there some ideas are bound to be some ideas that are recycled, even by accident. So take with a grain of salt, and be proud of your story. If its one way, don't go out of your way to change it to be another way. Every story is different, even if they are similar.

One door, one key, one idea...one big mess.
The Phenomenon Begins
Old May 23rd, 2008, 3:45 am
First Year

I DESPISE it when that happens!

You'll get this amazing, incredible, unique idea that you're really excited about and then you read a book or watch a movie and surprise, surprise! It drives me crazy and makes me mad. I always feel like it was my idea first, for some reason, especially when you get the idea and a couple of months later something new comes out that uses the same idea.

Felis Draconis Among The Tame NaNoWriMo 2008

My Story, Non-HP---------> The Hands Of The Poet Please read and and leave feedback. Or I'll sick the Antonym on you!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 4:10 am
Unspeakable

I'm not really a serious writer, for several reasons, but I have had plot ideas come to me, only to find out they were "taken" after starting to work on them a little.

No too long ago, I outlined a plot and started to write it, only to go to a movie and see the exact same thing in one of the trailers. I tried to convince myself I could make it different, but I knew I couldn't.

Old May 27th, 2008, 4:44 pm
First Year

I've started plenty of stories, but they've always been halted because I've found books or films with exactly the same storyline. That's why I've started my new novel about the London 7/7 bombings - because no-one's written a novel about them yet, as far as I know.

Pirates are all we can be!
Old May 29th, 2008, 2:20 am
Third Year

This has happened to me. My monolgue which I have plans to turn into a novel is called A Rose by Any Other Name. A week after I sent it away, I was in the book section of Big W and there was a book called Rose by Any Other Name. The actual content of the book is different, but the title the same :S

Old May 29th, 2008, 5:36 am
The Next Great Adventurer

It's inevitable. It's been said that there are only seven stories. The art is how they are blended and executed.

If you take HP as an example, there've been stories about schools for wizards, British public schools and Harry's quest comes straight out of Campbell. It was all the execution.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old May 29th, 2008, 10:24 pm
Second Year

out of campbell?? Is this a saying or an author. Sorry, that Iīm dumb
the only campbell i know writes books about language theory.

You mean thereīs also a person that has to destroy horcruxes and gets his means to survive through his motherīs sacrifice?

I just realize that my idea of an ever frozen land is not unique. After all it is not snowing there like in Narnia (too cold for godīs sake!) And itīs not a witch who is responsible for that.

Old May 29th, 2008, 11:34 pm
Banned

No it has never happened to me before, at least not that I can think of.

If it happens and you want to publish the story see if you can get the author and their publishing company's permision.

Of course you continue with your story, but see if you can alter it so that it isn't exactly like the book that has your idea in it.

Old May 30th, 2008, 4:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by secunda View Post
out of campbell?? Is this a saying or an author.
Joseph Campbell was a mythologist who defined the hero's journey which pinpoints characteristics common to almost all literary heroes from Christ to King Arthur to Batman to Luke Skywalker.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old June 1st, 2008, 12:23 am
Unspeakable

I agree that it's inevitable that story lines and elements of them are going to repeat themselves. Of course, with the idea I mentioned, almost everything was the same, even the characters were similar to what had popped into my mind.

Old June 5th, 2008, 4:35 am
Third Year

Hey Salvador Dali once said "He who imitates nothing creates nothing"

So I guess it is inevitable even though it is really frustrating. We have to take every similarity in stride and accept that our story is what it is - different than any other story, no matter how similar.

One door, one key, one idea...one big mess.
The Phenomenon Begins
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:35 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

And I would really consider not trashing the story idea. Do you have any idea how many stories published before Harry Potter have similar setups? At least four, as well as several others that have similar subplots. (Or, as it is with Wuthering Heights, have an entire plot turned into a subplot.)

It isnt' the idea, but the way you present the idea that really matters. So long as your story doesn't look like a patch-work quilt of other peopl'e stories, I don't think it should matter at all.

I would consider cutting things that are similar if they pose no real extreme importance to your book, but if things must stay don't sacrifice your idea because someone's already done it.

Old June 13th, 2008, 9:53 am
First Year

I've got a pretty bad one myself... I'm sure most of you have heard of the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer, right? Well, if you've read them, then you know of a character named Jacob Black? Well, I started writing a story about a boy named Jacob Black when I was in the sixth grade... quite a few years before Twilight was ever published. The book is now complete and I've been submitting it to many different literary agents, but to pretty much no avail. One agent was nice enough to tell me why they wouldn't represent my book. She told me that my book's main character was already the name of a very popular character in the literary world and until I changed the name, almost no agent would touch my work because they see it as a form of plagerism. It'd be like if I'd named a character "Ron Weasley" or "Draco Malfoy"... I cried when she told me that, I was devistated. Just imagine... I've spent the better part of my life (almost ten years) writing about a character who's very real to me... one whose name I couldn't imagine as anything else. My character can't have any other name, he is Jacob Black. But, I'm thinking of changing it a bit, just tweaking the spelling so it wouldn't immediately register with people... Jakob Blaque... wuddaya think?

Old June 13th, 2008, 1:49 pm

If the name is the main impediment, I'd change it.

Old June 13th, 2008, 5:20 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

I can see where you are coming from, with the name-- but you may consider changing it and repeating the new names over to yourself continuously. Eventually I think you may find that you like the new name better. The most likely reason you can't see changing his current name is that it is so familiar to you, but if you become familiar with a new one it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Besides, you wouldn't want your character to immediatly be associated with Twilight anyway-- it would create character biases that would be hard to fix.

Old June 13th, 2008, 5:57 pm
Third Year

I've never had something that I've come up with, turn out to be the same as someone else's idea.

And I'm quite lucky for the actually.

Old June 20th, 2008, 7:57 am
First Year

Well, in my fantasy novel I am writing, I was re reading because i came back to it after a few months.

There is a scene were a proud and stubborn dwarf king is approached by a great dragon before his city is to be destroyed, and if The king will but submit to the Orc lord the dragon represented, and tha the remaining dwarfs would lay down their arms, then he would be spared.

The king says he will lay down his arms, and submit to the Orc lord's rule, just as soon as "he climbs over (his) smoldering (censored)". He then shoots the dragon with a long cocked crossbow the size of himself, shooting him up through the chin and through his brain and skull, and sending him toppling from attop a tower, falling a great hieght.

This reminded me MUCH of the 300 movie scene in which Leonidas is approached by the persian messenger, as well as the Odyssey in which the lead suitor of Penelope is killed in the same manor by Odysseus.

Now, I don't think it is similar enough to keep me from publishing whenever I get around to finishing.

Old August 21st, 2008, 7:43 pm
Seventh Year

I think it depends on how much the story ressembles another. Nothing (or not much) we write is going to be 100% original, but if everything is borrowed, and none of the inspiration is actually yours, then it's not likely it'll get published. That's why submitting fan fiction doesn't fly.

Having said that, though, drawing inspiration from what's already been written is certainly nothing new. The greatest writers of all time have done it (think of Milton and Swift and countless others) and no one thinks less of them for it. Heck, Tolkien drew on a great deal of medieval literature for his inspiration (particularly the Old Norse stuff).

On a down note, I've just noticed that someone on these threads is writing a novel with the same title as my novel. *sigh* I've been racking my brain trying to think if I can come up with a title that suits it better. It can't be that original a title if two of us here are using it.

Watch the show Supernatural! It's the best show to grace the TV screen in years. I PROMISE!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner