Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Movies that scared you when you were a kid?

Old June 4th, 2008, 10:40 pm
Second Year

Re: Movies that scared you when you were a kid?

Scream ........

I shouldn't have been watching it but .. I was really nosey!

It was the bit at the beginning that really freaked me out ...

I couldn't sleep for weeks ...

I could say 'I love you' - and I do. You're the only one I want - now and forever. The only future I want lies with you...
Take my heart with you. It follows you ... Always
I love a good romance, me

"...and to you, if you have stuck with Harry until the very end."
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2008, 1:31 am
First Year

I was terrified of The Last Unicorn. That movie is so dark for a children's movie (typical 80s)! There's this horrible "red bull", a harpy that kills a creepy witch, a drinking skeleton, and this scary king guy. Oh yeah, and there's drowning unicorns. It gave me nightmares, but now I kind of like it.

"The world is 63 years old."
Old June 6th, 2008, 4:44 am
Fifth Year

Really, only the Freddy movies (Nightmare on Elm Street) scared me.

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old June 6th, 2008, 9:19 am
First Year

Witches
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100944/

Escape to Witch Mountain
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072951/

IT
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099864/

Willy Wonka
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067992/

Old June 9th, 2008, 7:02 am
Seventh Year

Only one really comes to mind, and it's Tim Burton's Batman - well, really just Jack Nicholson's Joker. I mean, I've always been struck by the dark, brooding atmosphere of the whole film, but thanks to Nicholson, I just couldn't watch the film for so long, or see any pictures of anything associated with it. Even if I tried, the buildup to the character's entrance freaked me out, the anticipation and tension. Finally, at some point, I forget what age (I wanna say 9 or 10), my parents sat me down and made me watch it (I was a huge Batman fan overall), and I just...lost the fear. I now realize what a brilliant turn that was, and how cool it is that Nicholson's work freaked me out so much, because The Joker should have that effect.

Old June 9th, 2008, 2:00 pm
First Year

Erm their are a few films that scared me , one was the wizard of OZ the wicked witch of the west is what scared me the most, also IT the clown also really freaked me out as i hate clowns and scream, maybe i was too young but i thought i would be alright how wrong i was, i did not want the lights off and was looking over my shoulder all the time lol

Wit beyond measure is a mans greatest treasure.
Old June 9th, 2008, 2:06 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheree View Post
Really, only the Freddy movies (Nightmare on Elm Street) scared me.
Me too. I think I first watched some of them when I was 11 or so. I watched Halloween around the same time and it didn't bother me. In fact, I really liked it and still do.

Old November 24th, 2008, 12:19 pm
Second Year

I remember Village of the damned haunted me for weeks. Oh, those kids. So damn freaky.

Old November 24th, 2008, 12:27 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

The very last part of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, where the guy drinks from a gold cup, then ages really quickly. I couldn't watch that bit for ages when I was very small. The weird thing was I didn't have any particular problems with the ending of the Lost Ark.

Old November 24th, 2008, 2:09 pm
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

A Christmas Story. I know that sounds weird, but that kid with the yellow eyes gave me nightmares.

And the part in The Princess Bride where Westley gets tortured - I had to hide behind the couch until it was over.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old November 24th, 2008, 2:20 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbouthp View Post
Scream ........

I shouldn't have been watching it but .. I was really nosey!

It was the bit at the beginning that really freaked me out ...

I couldn't sleep for weeks ...
The opening sequence of Scream (with the delightful Ms Barrymore) is one of the better sequences of modern horror cinema.

I keep seeing people listing It. I must have seen a different movie/mini-series. It's horrible, but not horrific.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:56 pm
do you want fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by permafrost View Post
I was terrified of The Last Unicorn. That movie is so dark for a children's movie (typical 80s)! There's this horrible "red bull", a harpy that kills a creepy witch, a drinking skeleton, and this scary king guy. Oh yeah, and there's drowning unicorns. It gave me nightmares, but now I kind of like it.
This movie scared me so much as a child also! It was very dark and pessimistic, and I hated the red bull, and all the misfortune that the unicorn encountered. I still don't like this movie, but it doesn't scare me anymore.

I really can't think of any other movies that scared me, my parents were really strict and I didn't watch most popular horror movies. (I still haven't seen Halloween or the Freddy movies, etc.)

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old November 25th, 2008, 7:46 am
Third Year

Chuckie. Dolls that look like that freak me out now.

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

James was happier than he had been in a while. He laughed constantly when he was talking to her and he was always drawn into the conversation by her charming smile and her eyes – glittering gold, they were unlike anything James had ever seen. ~STOP AND STARE

Stop and Stare by me & MissProngs & Feedback ~ * ~ The Last Horcrux (Completed!) & feedback ~ * ~ Lovestruck & feedback

'Sirius Black is sexy, right?' Of course she was right. The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders.

I love Harry Potter and Twilight. It can happen without a war.
Old November 25th, 2008, 8:13 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliope View Post
And the part in The Princess Bride where Westley gets tortured - I had to hide behind the couch until it was over.
I saw that during the 4th grade and had nightmares about it for ages. I still can't believe they showed that movie to us that young! Its a great movie (now that I'm an adult) but I think it scared a lot of kids!

Old November 25th, 2008, 9:34 am
Fifth Year

Ringu, the Japanese original. I saw it at my school' film society way before it was well known outside Japan, and it scared me stiff. Any time I had to go into the dark room for my photography class I would get nervous, and because I had a TV in my room, it made it hard to get to sleep, all I could think about was that scene were Sadako crawls out of the TV. Yeesh, I still have horrible memories of that scene, the close-ups on her fingers, the guy's reaction, the sound the TV made, it was just terrifying.

Old November 25th, 2008, 12:22 pm
Registered Animagus

Ringu scared me too the first time I saw it. As did the sequels even though they weren't that good.

When I was little The Little Mermaid used to scare me Ursula gave me nightmares.

Old November 25th, 2008, 12:36 pm
Fourth Year

When I was like 4-6 the Carebear movies scared me. I am such a wimp, but seriously I would leave the room whenever the villains came on.

As a teenager not many horror movies really scared me much, until I got pregnant. Once I got pregnant I got scared of everything, mostly because I would have really disturbing nightmares. So for the past 7 years I have pretty much refused to watch scary movies

Old November 25th, 2008, 1:48 pm
Sixth Year

The Empire Strikes Back. The yeti, Darth Vader, frozen Han Solo and Luke's hand gave me nightmares for a week.

Next time I watched it, I became addicted to Star Wars...

Old November 25th, 2008, 8:37 pm
First Year

I wish this thread had been created years ago, because I've spent the majority of my life thinking I was the only kid who was terrified by ET! I had literal nightmares about him that made me go looking for my mom in the middle of the night... especially that scene when he's all collapsed and sick by the river or lake or whatever? And Elliot gets him to help get him home (I think? I've only seen it once, that was enough). I remember just thinking he looked like a pile of dead meat or something, it completely freaked me out.

Another one that terrified me was the live-action version of Alice in Wonderland, with the Jabberwocky. I would run out of the room whenever a scene with him would come on, especially that bit at the end when he's in Alice's house after she thinks she's returned from Wonderland. Just utter fear.

Chuckie scared me a lot, too, though I never saw the whole thing. My mom had started me on a porcelain doll collection, and the clips I watched of Chuckie had me terrified of those dolls for years. I remember I'd even talk to them and kiss up to them so that they wouldn't hate me and come to life and kill me. O_O

Last edited by goldfish; November 25th, 2008 at 8:42 pm.
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:05 pm
do you want fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish View Post
Chuckie scared me a lot, too, though I never saw the whole thing. My mom had started me on a porcelain doll collection, and the clips I watched of Chuckie had me terrified of those dolls for years. I remember I'd even talk to them and kiss up to them so that they wouldn't hate me and come to life and kill me. O_O
Ironically, I was fascinated rather than scared by the Chuckie movies. I have vivid memories of watching them when I was about 3-4, and I really loved them, they didn't scare me in the least. Simpler things such as ET, and such, well those did a good job scaring me.

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion