Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Movies that scared you when you were a kid?

Old May 16th, 2008, 5:28 am
Deslumbrante

Re: Movies that scared you when you were a kid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariebeth83 View Post
Jurassic Park 1 scared me so much that for months I was convinced that dinosaurs were alive and were going to get me at night - the only thing that consoled me was that my sister slept nearer the window so they'd get her first so I might have time to escape! I've never told her about that!
I used to be sooooo scared of my garage because of the scene with the velosaraptors. Even though I knew they were extinct, I couldn't get over the feeling one was going to jump out from under a car or something.

The movie that scared me the most was Twister. I only saw the very beginning and the very end-- basically the two scariest scenes in the movie (when the girl's father dies and when they get sucked into an F5 tornado). I live in Indiana, which is known for its great natural weather (), and became even more deathly afraid of tornadoes. I still don't like to watch that movie. We had to watch it in my high school composition class, and I sat there petrified throughout the entire thing.

Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:12 am
Beauxbatons Champion

E.T truly scared me. He was just so freaky and weird! I love him now - he's actually quite cute . And the bit with the men in the huge white suits and big masks coming to get him...that scared the hell out of me!

Also, The Witches (an adaptation of Roald Dahl's book). I'm not sure if many people will have seen this, but eeeew! That scene when they all take of their wigs and show their stumpy feet and the main witch reveals her disgusting face...it still gives me the shivers.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old May 16th, 2008, 5:24 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWeasleys View Post
Ahhhh!!! My grandma let me watch that when I was like 8 . The name is, "IT". Clowns have scared me ever since.
At a stretch I can see how It may have freaked out a kid, but when I saw it the most frightening aspect was just how bad it was.

It was one of the worst adaptations of a work by an author whose books have been turned into some truly appalling movies/mini-series.

And I never liked clowns anyway.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old May 16th, 2008, 7:57 pm
Third Year

Home Alone Two: There was something scary about two inept crooks in a big empty house
The Little Mermaid: I know I know! I am a girl, I was supposed to love that sort of stuff. But URSULA WAS SCARY!
The Wizard of Oz: the flying monkeys! AH!
Jurassic Park (1? 2?): the part when the guy who looked like colonel sanders arm was like severed? Did that even happen? Am I dreaming?
Drop Dead Fred: It was scary ok! The dream sequence when the girl is alone in the house was just weird.
The Money Pit: I don't like derelict houses. They really bother me for some reason.
Reboot: I know, this is a TV show. But it was still scary.

One door, one key, one idea...one big mess.
The Phenomenon Begins
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:28 pm
Definitely not Fourth Year (that's a bit boring)

OK, so I go back a LONG way - and the movie that really freaked me out as a kid was the original Fantasia - so Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer's Apprentice was fine, dancing hippos and elegant ostriches with their ballet routines - no problem, of course - but then there was the Night on the Bare Mountain - music by Mussorsky (sorry, not spelled right) - music was brilliant - but the images really got to me. The ghosts or spirits or whatever they were rising up from their graves, being called to the mountain top by the devil - oooohhh - it still has an influence on me - even now when I hear the music, which I love.

And that's what it's all about, isn't it. The way we first see things - later we have a different perspective - particularly (I think) when music is concerned - it has influence on you as a child, but you can re-visit it when older. But the visuals - ooooh er - still scary ...

Old May 17th, 2008, 1:03 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger1 View Post
OK, so I go back a LONG way - and the movie that really freaked me out as a kid was the original Fantasia - so Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer's Apprentice was fine, dancing hippos and elegant ostriches with their ballet routines - no problem, of course - but then there was the Night on the Bare Mountain - music by Mussorsky (sorry, not spelled right) - music was brilliant - but the images really got to me. The ghosts or spirits or whatever they were rising up from their graves, being called to the mountain top by the devil - oooohhh - it still has an influence on me - even now when I hear the music, which I love.

And that's what it's all about, isn't it. The way we first see things - later we have a different perspective - particularly (I think) when music is concerned - it has influence on you as a child, but you can re-visit it when older. But the visuals - ooooh er - still scary ...
That one scared me too, but I like it now.

Other one was Edward Scissor Hands, even seeing him scared me a bit now.

And The Rescuers, but maybe just because I watched it in hospital

Episode 18: Ned is sad to hear CoS is closing

My book blog
Old May 17th, 2008, 1:47 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Turpin View Post
I used to be sooooo scared of my garage because of the scene with the velosaraptors. Even though I knew they were extinct, I couldn't get over the feeling one was going to jump out from under a car or something.
I don't know why or where they came from but there were rumours going around at the time that they were going to try & clone dinosaurs or do something to create a real jurassic park - I think that that was what scared me most. I was convinced it really would happen & that they'd get free!

Because of Edward Cullen...I'm staying single until I find a vampire
Old May 17th, 2008, 1:59 am
Second Year

The Sixth Sense. I couldn't sleep the whole night...

When you 'bless my cotton socks,' please don't bless my cotton socks.

I wear Gold - Plated, diamond encrusted ones!

So indeed, it should be....'Bless your gold - plated, diamond encrusted socks'.

Toodles.

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)
Old May 17th, 2008, 2:12 am
Fourth Year

I have cousins that are significantly older than me, and they used to babysit me sometimes...I got to watch Jurassic Park I several times, and that scared the pants off me! Another one was IT...I was like five and I watched it with my cousins and I think I was afraid to go to bed...
Another one, which I saw at daycare, of all places, and was absolutely scared by was the Dark Crystal (or something like that...one of those cheesy fantasy ones).
Oh, and the scene in Hocus Pocus when the witches come back, and that green glow's coming from under the floorboards? That freaked me too...
I was kind of a wimp as a kid :/

EDIT: I just thought of another one...in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, when Violet Beauregard turns into a blueberry? Yeah, that freaked me out. No problem with the boat scene, or anything else in the movie, but that one scene...

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling

Last edited by houseelf25; May 17th, 2008 at 2:16 am.
Old May 17th, 2008, 9:25 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

The Witches. I really thought that there were witches like in the film

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old May 17th, 2008, 12:56 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Turpin View Post
The movie that scared me the most was Twister.
I loved this movie! I saw it four times in the theatre and then had to buy it. I still enjoy watching it now and then although some parts are kind of cheesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucybird View Post
This is another one that I loved when I was little. My mom always thought it was too scary for me, but really I was much more scared of the boyfriend then of Edward. Edward is just a sweetie pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post
E.T truly scared me. He was just so freaky and weird!
The ending with all the men in space suits really scared me, I couldn't watch it.

Old May 18th, 2008, 12:19 am
Second Year

Quote:
E.T truly scared me. He was just so freaky and weird! I love him now - he's actually quite cute . And the bit with the men in the huge white suits and big masks coming to get him...that scared the hell out of me!

Also, The Witches (an adaptation of Roald Dahl's book). I'm not sure if many people will have seen this, but eeeew! That scene when they all take of their wigs and show their stumpy feet and the main witch reveals her disgusting face...it still gives me the shivers.
Omg, both of those movies were really scary for me when I was little, I absolutely hated watching E.T., (I never thought he was cute) and The Witches scared me as well, especially the scene where they show the little girl who got trapped in the painting It made me so sad because I actually believed that it had been done to her!

Old May 24th, 2008, 6:52 am
Fourth Year

I can't remember the name, but there was Christmas movie with a scene about the birth of Jesus that used to scare me when I was very young. The scene was done in very primitive computer generated graphics, so the characters' movements were stiff, their faces were always expressionless, and they had tiny, black eyes and pale white skin. They also didn't speak, and everything just came together to make a very creepy movie.

Old May 26th, 2008, 3:07 pm
Third Year

The very first movie I ever saw in a cinema was Disney's black Cauldron. I was only six at that time and I was really impressed by the Horned King and his dead army.

Old May 26th, 2008, 3:10 pm
Third Year

Halloween, Mike myers the lot. I watched them when I was about 7, Big mistake.

When I was really little snow white scared me, I always remember her getting chased by a crocadile in a forest or something like that.

Old May 26th, 2008, 3:17 pm
First Year

I was absolutely terrified of Fantasia when I saw it. The music really got to me when I was younger, and still does.
I was also afraid of Star Wars. I saw it when I was three or four and I was so scared of the music, especially the bad guy theme. But I grew out of that in a few years.
The Witches was creepy! I don't remember much but didn't their eyes flash red or something? I remember hating it.
The 'new' 101 dalmatians. That was really freaky...

Rue, even for ruth, here shortly shall be seen,
In the remembrance of a weeping queen.
~Gardener, Richard II.

Old May 26th, 2008, 3:28 pm
Registered Animagus

For some reason I was allowed to watch Silence of the Lambs when I was just 12 and it scared me so much. Now it's one of my favourite movies

Old May 26th, 2008, 4:28 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Ooh, my, there were so many movies that used to scare the living daylights out of me. Let's see:

1) Poltergeist - I couldn't fall asleep normally for a whole decade after watching it! The tree under my window = not friendly looking and definitely not amusing. Shall never ever watch that movie again, even if my life depends on it.

2) Gremlins - the same story as with the movie above - had traumas years and years after. However, I watched it again recently in an effort to overcome the fear - and I did. Honestly, having seen it the second time - it's ridiculous and not that scary at all. Still nasty and disgusting, though.

3) It - um... I'm pretty sure if I watched it again now I'd still be as terrified as then. So, I will not even try to see it. Nuh-uh. One trauma is enough.

4) Star Wars - believe it or not, when I was a child of only 4 or 5, Darth Vader was extremely horrifying for me. Seriously. Naturally, I watched the series again a few years later and absolutely fell in love with them, including the almighty Vader. What was I thinking?

5) Wizard of Oz - both 1 and 2. I mean, come on, which child was not afraid of those flying monkeys and/or the witch herself? On top of that, I was also scared of Oz. Yet, I loved those movies. Contradictory much?

6) Dumbo - yes, yes, the Dumbo. Disney Dumbo. Remember that song 'Elephant on Parade'? I still shiver when I think about it.

Oooh, God, I could go on and on. I'll leave it for some other time 'cause I'm really starting to get a panic attack now.

Meg: I'm a big tough girl. I tie my own sandals and everything.
(Hercules, 1997)

Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:57 pm
First Year

I saw the Exsorsits (sp) when I was about 12... o.o Ooops...

Don't confuse the confuseable....

Music is my life I don't know where I would be without it....

Ribbit 0_______0

Last edited by samianther; June 3rd, 2008 at 12:02 am.
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
I HATED THAT PART!
It still bothers me
When I was little I remember watching that part with the men in the white suits, it always scared me, no matter how much I watched it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucybird

I remember certain parts of that movie scaring me too, I hated the part when he remembers his past or something and it shows that factory thingy

I also remember a part in The Secret Garden when there at a camp fire like chanting...that part scared me

The Muppet Christmas Carol, 2 parts of that movie always scared me...the part with the two dudes that were like ghost in chains talking to scrooge...and the part with the third ghost dude, that creepy hooded thingy...[kinda like what I pictured a Dementor looking like]..

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion