Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Your Favourite Character Names

Old October 27th, 2009, 6:02 am
Third Year

Re: Your Favourite Character Names

Unusual names = awesome (as long as it fits)

My only suggestion is to pay attention to the syllables in the names you create. You can have an odd spelling or unique name, just try not to make it more than 2 syllables, 3 tops. The more syllables a name has, the more it will slow the reader down.

Quick example: Breaking Dawn's Renesmee bugged the stink out of me. I could see where she was trying to go with the name, but every time I saw it, my head had to sound it out (Ren-ay-ez-meh). Forgive me for butchering the phonetics but seriously, 4 syllables? After reading it the first several times and trying to work my way through it, I gave up and my eyes just started glazing over each time the name popped up.

In other words, be as creative as you want, just don't forget your readers!

- Inigo
(In-eh-go... 3 syllables, o snap!)

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2009, 7:31 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Well, Hermione has four syllables but it fits. I know what you mean. It needs to flow when you read it.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old October 27th, 2009, 9:50 pm
Third Year

A lot of people have commented that either they love the name, "Sarah", or they hate it and would never use it because it's too common.

I just find that a bit funny, because that's my name.. :P

I can never use names of people that I already know. I can't do "Madison", because then the character would have to be a snob, and I can't use the name "Luke," because then the character would have to be amazing and smart.

Deathly Hallows Part 2 almost made me a Snape-fan. . .almost. But then I re-read Deathly Hallows and I came back to my senses and the world was the way it's supposed to be.
Old October 28th, 2009, 5:14 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
Well, Hermione has four syllables but it fits. I know what you mean. It needs to flow when you read it.
When I read "Hermione" I think (Her-my-nee) so I only really hear 3 in my head, but I guess it's technically supposed to read something closer to (Her-my-o-nee) so I definitely see your point. But yeah, it just goes back to whether the name "flows" and Renesmee just didn't flow to me. I guess that's why I've always gone by the 3-syllable rule, anything in excess of that makes ME dislike my own characters (baaad).

- Inigo

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Old October 28th, 2009, 8:41 pm
First Year

This is really dumb, but I sometimes spend hours on baby-names sites trying to figure out names I like for my characters.

Old October 29th, 2009, 4:30 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I do that, too. I wouldn't call that dumb. My favorite author growing up, Ann M. Martin, says she buys baby name books to pick names out of. Looking on the site is basically the same thing (and you don't have anyone thinking you're buying the book to name your unborn baby).

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old June 28th, 2010, 3:56 am
First Year

Choosing a name for your character

I don't want to be published, but I write stories to entertain myself, and I have a hard time choosing a character's name. I mostly like elvish names, gaelic, etc... you know these names that sound very ancient?

Old June 30th, 2010, 9:35 pm
First Year

Re: Choosing a name for your character

Have you tried going on baby name sites? They usually let you sort names by gender, origin, popularity, age, etc.

Old July 1st, 2010, 4:22 am
First Year

Choosing a name is definately a hard thing to do... I am an aspiring author well (hope to be published one day) and everytime I start a story I always go through tons of names. And it is not just the first names that are hard, but the last names as well- they have to fit just right or else it doesn't work right. I tend to start with the era I am writting in and look to see the most popular baby names of that time and then work my way from there. And I always try to pick names that aren't hurd much; most of the time I stay with in the 100-300 most popular names, but there are expections with certian names.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 5:14 pm
Fourth Year

I just pick names I like, especially ones like Kendra "All-Knowing" for the smart ones, and then names like Spider for the creepy ones. Definitions are a great help, they really help to shape the character, so yeah, the baby-name sites are perfect.

"And Mary and Joseph went to Bethlehem, and Mary, who was great with child, rode a donkey, except the donkey actually ran away during rehearsals....so she in fact arrived on a small, motorized lawnmower."
Old July 2nd, 2010, 5:40 pm
First Year

Yeah, the definition of a name is really important; it's what really help the character to form.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 8:54 pm
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

My particular favorite character names belong to a crime-fighting duo: Tuberculo and The Boy Lunger.

Old August 24th, 2010, 6:51 pm
First Year

For Earldust, the novel that I'm working on right now, I try to go for ''real world names'', but ones that sound kind of different. For example, my main character is called ''Camillia Cana'', and a secondary character is called ''Alexander Trevellian''. Both of them would not sound exactly out of place in real life, but they are still different enough to get by.

And using baby name sites is a good idea. The approach I like best is to analyse, however, how the names, especially surnames are constructed.

Old August 28th, 2010, 2:32 am
First Year

I always go on baby name cites and I usually like to use god and goddess names, but it takes me awhile to choose the perfect one. Ex. Two of the main characters in my story are Selene and Rhea.

Old August 28th, 2010, 1:09 pm
First Year

I agree that baby name sites are a good place to start for first names, but for surnames (especially for those of us who write high fantasy), it's better to study how they are constructed in the real world, and then build parallel structures in the world of your novel. For example, most surnames in real life are tied to clan (what clan/family your ancestors belonged to back in mediaeval times, geography (where the original holder lived) or profession. Additionally, if one of your ancestors did some famous deed, he might be named after it, and his son might inherit that name.

It's often fun to build up similar names in your own world. Obviously in high fantasy, geography is different, so geographically linked names will change. Your world may or may not have clans, so that's optional. Professions may or may not be constant, but famous deeds will have to change.

For the two characters above, ''Cana'' is a city, and ''Trevellian'' is a clan name.

Old August 29th, 2010, 4:23 am
Banned

Well, I'm still trying to decide on character names for upcoming novels, if I ever start them, but I've got a few ideas to use for two novels. Both are psychological thriller themed with intense variation in narrative patterns between character perspectives, one being about doppelgangers and the other about the Jungian concept of the Shadow. After nearly eight years of being unable to start a novel due to a lack of interesting and unusual names, I've created the following name pool for important characters that I'd like to pick from:

Females: Lidane, Emilia, Aura, Linnea, Grace, Clea, Virginia. I'd like to include Layla as a nickname for one of these as well.

Males: Janus, Vergil, Gabe, Jude, Walden, Favian, Dante, Devin. If I follow up with the Layla idea, I may or may not nickname one of these "her Majnun."

Among all of these, however, the only full name I've already paired is Devin Petrucci.

@ Fiachra: You may want to be careful. Alec Trevelyan was the former partner and best friend of James Bond and main villain of the film Goldeneye.

Last edited by APolaris; August 29th, 2010 at 6:08 am.
Old August 29th, 2010, 12:05 pm
First Year

@APolaris: Huh, I've never seen the connection, then again it's been years since I saw that movie. I blame my subconscious. =/

Old September 3rd, 2010, 2:16 am
First Year

When I write stories I try to go with unusual names. Probably because my name, Jessica, is one of the most common names in the universe, and I would hate for that to happen to a ficitonal character I might create someday.

I have to say, I LOVED the name Luna And Hermione. They're so unique. Except they're so associated with HP now that nobody else can ever use them without being sued for plaigarism.

One of the names I really like is Tassanie. It's my cousin's name, but I've never met anyone else with the same name. It also sounds really pretty and kind of foreign, which I like.

PROUD GRYFFINDOR
Old September 5th, 2010, 2:27 am
Second Year

I also used to have a thing for outlandish names, and always tried to make them a little different. Ex. Fayla, Reed, Nevva, it gets really bad but I still like these names XD. I once used Thaddeus I believe, and love it.

But over the years I've begun to develop a sincere love for the magic of ordinary names. Such as James. I absolutely adore that name. I also like Madeline [When pronounced as Mad-eh-lie-n], Roland, and Emilie. See how I do a less common spelling of Emily to make it look less plain? I just love the way these names flow, and sometimes a normal name can become magic to a writer. That's my opinion at least.

Or you can be like Jo Rowling, whose names are all unique and wonderful within themselves!

www.wizardinglife.com

"What do you mean I'm not brave in bed?!"
-Harry Potter [OTP]

"Accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often."
-Albus Dumbledore [HBP]
Old September 5th, 2010, 3:22 pm
First Year

I just give characters names that I like, no special meanings or anything to them. In my first two novels the main characters are Erica & Jemima in the first one and Susie & Jill in the second.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner