Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Touch-Type Novel (and others) writing - good or bad?

Old April 28th, 2008, 7:56 pm
First Year

Touch-Type Novel (and others) writing - good or bad?

I found out a while ago that I'm the only one of my friends who can touch-type (where you don't need to look at the keyboard to type). It's pretty cool, because my friends are always like "How do you do that?" when I type out essays and have a conversation whilst looking at my friends. Many people think it's better to watch what you're typing because you make less mistakes, but I don't get affected by that problem because I use the computer so much to write that I can now touch-type an entire 7000 word chapter (trust me, I've done it!) without looking at the keyboard or making a mistake.

I personally think that it makes typing easier, not having to watch where your fingers are going all of the time, and then you can concentrate on plot holes or things like that - or if a problem crops up, you haven't typed out lines and lines and they haven't shown up because you've accidentally clicked on something.

So, Touch-Type Novelling - Yay or nay? What's your thoughts on touch-typing on the whole?

Pirates are all we can be!
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2008, 1:22 am
Third Year

Re: Touch-Type Novel (and others) writing - good or bad?

I can and I can't. I think it's great if you can, cos that way you get so much done, and if you've perfected it then BAM! you're off.

I can do it, but then I get nervous about if I'm pressing the right ones, and look down and then stuff up!

All you have to do is take that one step.'
Old April 29th, 2008, 3:17 am
Unspeakable

I make less mistakes if I'm watching the screen instead of the keyboard, because I can see how it comes out instead of just watching my fingers on the keys. Even if I'm not watching the screen or the keyboard, for some reason I can tell when I hit the wrong key more easily than when I watching my fingers on the keys.

I remember all the attempts at typing lessons I had in elementary and middle school tried to make me not watch my fingers, but I always resisted it until recently. I still do it sometimes out of habit, but it's becoming just as easy not to now.

Last edited by hermy_weasley2; April 29th, 2008 at 3:35 am.
Old April 29th, 2008, 3:23 am
do you want fries with that?

I can tell if I'm making mistakes as well. And I just automatically go back and correct them.

I've been able to touch-type since I was 10. I was always interested to learn because my mom could do it so well. But I was really motivated to learn when I found out we had to study it in school the next year. So I spent the entire summer teaching myself. My hard work has paid off though, and I consider myself a pretty good touch-typist.

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)

Last edited by gipro2003; October 27th, 2008 at 12:16 am.
Old April 29th, 2008, 3:32 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LupinsAngel View Post
So, Touch-Type Novelling - Yay or nay? What's your thoughts on touch-typing on the whole?
Whatever works for you.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 29th, 2008, 8:33 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipro2003 View Post
I can tell if I'm making mistakes as well. And I just automatically go back and correct them.

I've been able to touch-type since I was 10. I was always interested to learn because my mom coiuld do it so well. But I was really motivated to learn when I found out we had to study it in school the next year. So I spent the entire summer teaching myself. My hard work has paid off though, and I consider myself a pretty good touch-typist.
Y'all actually get to study it in school? In our ICT lessons, we just learn about databases and all that yahoozey. BOOOO-RINNG!

Old May 1st, 2008, 2:24 am
Third Year

I've been able to touch type since about fourteen? I guess. I mean in grade eight they gave us tea-towels to cover our hands.

The only problem is that I CAN touch type, I just get distracted and stop and look at the keyboard and think. I'm slow with the plot thing.

One door, one key, one idea...one big mess.
The Phenomenon Begins
Old May 20th, 2008, 8:57 pm
First Year

I think being able to touch type helps when you're writing - you can spot mistakes and correct them as soon as they appear, and the flow of writing doesn't get interrupted by having to concentrate on finding the right key.

I got 'taught' touch typing at school, but the lessons weren't very helpful. I can only do it because I use the computer a lot for writing essays and stories. I didn't even realise I was doing it til I stopped writing a chapter and realised I hadn't looked down at my hands once.

'Nana

dum spiro, spero

Shameless self promoting...
Carpe Diem - [Complete]
Fire Burns - 29.12.09
Fallen Angel - 06.04.15
Old May 22nd, 2008, 4:32 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

I prefer touch typing (which I've only just been able to get the hang of). But it doesn't really make a difference. I still look and check each sentence to make sure it makes sense after I've typed it. It doesn't make the process quicker for me.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old May 22nd, 2008, 4:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Banana View Post
I think being able to touch type helps when you're writing - you can spot mistakes and correct them as soon as they appear, and the flow of writing doesn't get interrupted by having to concentrate on finding the right key.
It also means that you don't look up from the keyboard only to discover you've been typing in wingdings.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old May 22nd, 2008, 8:21 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
It also means that you don't look up from the keyboard only to discover you've been typing in wingdings.
I've done that before......

Old May 22nd, 2008, 9:13 pm
First Year

I've taught myself to touch type (funny, in Dutch it's called 'blind typing') so I always type that way. Only when I've got to copy something from a book/paper to screen I tend to look at the keyboard. So, if you want to learn how to touch type - just start doing it during IM chats (MSN etc) and eventually your skill will grow & evolve until you can type confidently without looking at your keyboard.

However, now I regret that I never took a course because I use my cinfers the wrong way - I don't use ten fingers but I rely a lot on my left middle finger and when I type a lot (during NaNoWriMo, for instance, wrote 103 000 words in one month) I develop RSI-like complaints. So, if you want to learn how to type very fast, don't teach yourself...

Old June 25th, 2008, 3:20 pm
Third Year

I can do a bit of touch typing. Like right now I am and I'm making a few mistakes, though not as many as I would of a couple years ago. I think after a while you just learn where everything's at on a keyboard, and you can do a bit of Touch-Typing.

Oh, and one more thing; when I first started to touch-type, it scared me that I could type pretty well without looking at the screen.

Last edited by Luka13; June 25th, 2008 at 3:25 pm.
Old June 25th, 2008, 4:03 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post
I make less mistakes if I'm watching the screen instead of the keyboard, because I can see how it comes out instead of just watching my fingers on the keys. Even if I'm not watching the screen or the keyboard, for some reason I can tell when I hit the wrong key more easily than when I watching my fingers on the keys.

I remember all the attempts at typing lessons I had in elementary and middle school tried to make me not watch my fingers, but I always resisted it until recently. I still do it sometimes out of habit, but it's becoming just as easy not to now.
Same with me! While I find myself looking at the keyboard off and on, over 90% of the time, I only look at the screen while typing.

I used to not be able to do that, but when I learned, I was like... "this is so easy now, why couldn't I do it before!"

Old June 25th, 2008, 8:44 pm
Fourth Year

I've been able to do this since middle school and I'm all for it. I could not look at my hands while I type, it gives me a migrain.

Old June 26th, 2008, 7:55 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermy_weasley2 View Post

I do that too. I find I make more mistakes touch typing and looking at the keyboard than if I do the screen. I don't really think about touch typing, it just comes naturally. If I think about it, I'm more likely to make a mistake.

I'll then, once I'm finished, come back and edit my mistakes if I've accidently hit another key or something. It's actually not that hard, really, once you have the practice!

All you have to do is take that one step.'
Old June 26th, 2008, 2:36 pm
First Year

If you are writing a novel then why not use the old fashioned pen and paper to do the first draft. I do and find that it is the most enjoyable way of writing (after all it isn't called typing a book is it?).

That said, I do understand what you are getting at, writing with a pen allows you to not think about the process of writing and concentrate on the story in much the same way as touch typing.

Another reason for writing by hand (just as JK did for her early drafts) is that if you become a famous author in the future you can sell your handwritten drafts. It is not like anyone would want to buy a typed first draft - you could print off as many as you want.

I know handwriting is slow but do you think speed is that important when creating something like a novel or book. If JK had rushed SS or Shakespeare had rushed Macbeth do you think they would have been as sublime?

Old June 27th, 2008, 2:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief View Post
If you are writing a novel then why not use the old fashioned pen and paper to do the first draft. I do and find that it is the most enjoyable way of writing (after all it isn't called typing a book is it?).
By the same token manuscripts are still called that even though

Quote:
Another reason for writing by hand (just as JK did for her early drafts) is that if you become a famous author in the future you can sell your handwritten drafts. It is not like anyone would erwant to buy a typed first draft - you could print off as many as you want.
There were a lot of writers using typewriters over the years.

Anyway, a true first draft is one that it printed and covered with corrections (it is impossible to do a proper edit on screen).

Many authors hold early drafts for donation to libraries.

Old August 10th, 2008, 7:03 pm
Fourth Year

I personaly think that the touch-type is one of the best ways to go about writing a story on computer, because if you look at it you constantly want to fix your mistakes. I myself can talk, read, or do something either than watch while I'm typing (while being able to know that I have made a mistake and exactly where I did make a mistake so I can delete and then fix it with no problems!) When I do look at the screen, it seems that I want to get done faster and finish typing, so I get a little nervous and want to fix everything I mess up right away.

Please check out my non-Harry Potter story Elmandoroth Chapter Two is finished.

Old August 10th, 2008, 8:27 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I actually prefer looking at the screen rather than my fingers. I can touch-type. I have tried typing while looking at my fingers instead of the screen and I make more mistakes that way.

Writing a novel, now I prefer pen and paper, but I do have to type it up eventually.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner