Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Computer versus Paper: The Eternal Debate

Old October 3rd, 2009, 5:56 pm
First Year

Re: Computer versus Paper: The Eternal Debate

I find that when writing with a paper and pen that I feel closer to what I'm writing. I like seeing my handwriting change depending on how Im feeling. I love writing notes on the side and circling phrases or crossing them out... when i write with a computer i feel ... strange. I can only type one I have everything written out already.

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:58 pm
First Year

My writing really benefits from me writing everything out long-hand ffirst, and then typing it. I am not a crazy-fast typer, so typing helps me slow down and really read over my essay, or whatever. Doing this helps me find mistakes or other things that I want to change, where just reading it over again I might miss something. I also don't really like staring at a computer screen for a long time trying to figure out what way I want to arrange a sentence. However, I could not live without that synonym button.

Old October 7th, 2009, 7:11 pm
Registered Animagus

Computer all the way. Partly that's because I can't read my own handwriting. Mostly because I can type as fast as I think, I can type without looking at the keyboard, and I can write while I'm watching something else. That's me. Des, the multi-tasker.

If you're writing a short-story or essay, I can see hand writing it. There's not so much to correct. But when I'm writing a 300 page novel, I need to be able to correct and edit as I go. Then I can e-mail the file to beta readers, who can send me corrections that I can plug right in.

Old October 24th, 2009, 9:37 am
Third Year

I would love to be able to write everything out by hand first. I honestly love the feeling of putting pen to paper and just writing from the heart (it's why I have a love for journals). However, my internal editor is so squeamish, it's extremely difficult for me to write away from the computer. I can scribble ideas on a piece of paper, or specific details of a scene, but I can't seem to do the actual WRITING of the story without being on a computer. My typing is a lot faster than my handwriting and I don't have to keep crossing stuff out and using arrows to move phrases around.

Perhaps I can actually work on it one of these days. Probably not for NaNoWriMo though, I need to be speedy!

- Inigo

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Old July 24th, 2010, 5:38 pm
First Year

I am a very tedious planner, when I write anything, even a paragraph. I always start with paper and outline the plot, write characterizations, and small phrases and sentences to serve as an example of the style for each part. I always use my favorite writing medium 8x10 yellow legal pads and blue (black), green, and red pens. I then will type up the meat of the subject just for convenience sake. If writing longhand didn't take so long (and if I could spell) I would write longhand.

"Er --- yes I think so", said Ron. "I think my Mom's got a second cousin who's and accountant, but we never talk about him"

"Tell me one last thing", said harry."Is this real? Or has it all been happening inside my head?"
"Of course it's all been happening, inside your head Harry, but why on earth should that mean its not real?"
Old July 24th, 2010, 6:53 pm
Banned

Computer, especially if we're talking about final drafts. I simply like being able to go back and change the writing if I think up better wording (which happens frequently) or wish to add more (which happens more frequently)... without having to restart the entire page or, worse, every page after it.

Old July 28th, 2010, 1:23 pm
Third Year

Admittedly computers are much more efficient, but there's just something sentimental to me about writing on paper, even if it takes longer.

Old July 29th, 2010, 1:47 am
First Year

What I do is if I can't get to my computer, I use paper for my long stories. Woth my short stories and paragraphs, I use paper. In the end it doesn't matter what I use because I put it on the other after for an exta copy. Just in case I loose one, I have the other.

Old August 4th, 2010, 4:34 am
Fourth Year

If I had a lap top I'd use it more often. I've always done my writing long hand though. Comes from not having a computer till after high school. I'm used to it. Many times I'm jumping from one story to another and so writing it long hand is the only way for me. When my book is done I'll type it up then.

Old August 5th, 2010, 10:50 pm
First Year

I tend to write longhand when writing poems or short stories, I think it lends itself more to creativity. Plus, I tell myself it doesn't have to be perfect, because when I type it up I'll revise it. I generally feel better about what I'm writing if it starts on paper.

However, for longer pieces and things like NaNoWriMo, I go for the computer because it's easier and faster. (I'm not a big fan of typing everything I've just written.) But when I type I use Darkroom, a program that eliminates other computer distractions I get when I'm using Word. I acts kind of like a typewriter; no spell check to distract me and it is full screen. I transfer my work over to Word when I need to edit.

Old August 6th, 2010, 12:29 am
First Year

When I write it's always always on paper; I can make my handwriting really messy so that no one can read what I wrote. Then when I put it in word, I check over it a final time and edit as I go. It's a long process but I'm more comfortable that way.
What's more, I enjoy being able to actually hold what I wrote, be it in a notebook or on bits of loose-leaf. That way I can take it anywhere with me and make edits to past entries whenever I find the time.

Old August 8th, 2010, 10:22 am
Sixth Year

I always start out on paper - I can't start off anything new on computer. Writing it out by hand makes me feel that I'm able to completely control what's on there and I can write in the margins and make notes and suggestions. I then use the computer for the final draft.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old August 12th, 2010, 12:35 am
Fourth Year

I write with pen and paper when I can use a lot of time to write, or when something suddenly pops into my head and I have to write it down. (I would have hundreds of files on my computer with short little notes if I wrote them on my PC... And it's easier to just grab a block of paper and a pen than start up that machine thingy! ) When I write something long that I need to finish quickly, I write on my computer. So basically, when I write for school I use a computer, and when I write for fun I use paper.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:01 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I think my answer is changing. I used to love writing on paper, but lately I've come to enjoy writing on the computer more. Well, I guess technically, it'd be called typing. I can't explain why, it's just right now my juices are flowing better on the computer. Maybe it'll change like it did before.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old August 13th, 2010, 1:29 pm
Suteki da ne

I prefer to write using paper and pen, then type it up if it needs it

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old August 24th, 2010, 3:43 pm
First Year

Definitely the computer for me. For one thing, my handwriting sucks, and the other - I type faster than I write.

However I find that proofing is much easier when I have a hard copy to work off. Red pens are awesome!

Old May 13th, 2011, 3:30 am
First Year

I'm old fashioned. I prefer good old notebook paper and pencils. that way you can erase mistakes and start over.

if a computer crashed on you then you're screwed and its bye bye short story etc

Old May 13th, 2011, 7:33 pm
First Year

I have only ever written some fiction for my own pleasure, but it's always done on paper and in pencil. I only ever typed up one story and it just made me realize how much shorter it really is, if that makes sense! I always thought, when I got a laptop, I would stay up when I didn't have school and type my story all night, but once I got a laptop, that never happened.

"So I won't let you close enough to hurt me
No, I won't rescue you to just desert me
I can't give you what you think you gave me
It's time to say goodbye to turning tables"
~Adele

Proud Gryffindor
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:53 pm
Second Year

I carry a notebook around with me to jot down ideas, always.
But for some reason if I'm sitting down with my laptop more inspirational goo seems to flow through my brain than normal. I get a lot more accomplish adding things as I go to drafts than trying to write everything out. It's like I get into a certain zone when I'm typing that I just can't seem to get when writing on paper, unless it's a rare instance when I've hatched a brilliant idea. So mostly, I stick with my computer.

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:01 am
Fourth Year

I change constantly. I'll go through phases of preferring to write on my laptop but then I'll suddenly stop being able to and then I'll switch to writing on paper. It's usually just what is more convenient for me at the time though, before I got my laptop if I got some inspiration then I'd find my notebook and write it down because the computer took so long to boot up and someone else was probably on it, but now I have my laptop that loads so much quicker I can just turn it on, open a Word document and type something up in 10 minutes. I do try to write on my laptop though because that way I don't have to copy it from my notebook onto the laptop at sometime in the future.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner