Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Computer versus Paper: The Eternal Debate

Old March 28th, 2008, 4:01 am
Fourth Year

Re: Computer versus Paper: The Eternal Debate

my handwriting's horrendous, and it's rare that someone other than a teacher can read it (because teachers have magical deciphering powers), so most of my school stuff is typed. stuff for me, like fanfiction and other stories, i just write out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipro2003
If I do write on paper, I prefer composition notebooks and either a pen or mechanical pencil. I like pens in really random colors like orange and teal though You can tell in my class notes when I start to write because I get out a colored pen.
wow. me, too! my math notes are all in different colors, because it's easier to read.

"Things are never quite as scary when you're with your best friend."
My deviantART page:

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
"Writers are an ornery lot, and apt to run off in the oddest directions when you give them an idea." -Bruce Coville
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2008, 5:02 am
Third Year

I have a really bad habit of buying notebooks and journals to write in, but never actually using them. I'd love to write on paper, and I have, but I tend to write better and be more creative when I'm on the computer. And it's so much easier to just look up a word on dictionary.com than actually getting a dictionary and looking for the word.
I usually start a story on paper and never finish it or I'm unsatisfied with it. But on the computer, I can finish something and actually like it.

Old March 29th, 2008, 11:15 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Use a thesaurus?
Aaah, now you would think that but no. Due to many 'so boring it's coma inducing' english grammar and vocabulary lessons asking me to stretch my self and define words like 'courageous' and find another word for it, as well as other ones I probably could have done in my sleep when I was 10, I now have an extreme aversion to dictionaries and thesauruses. I don't know it's just weird.

nerdfighter
i need to kick off and fly into the night
follow the red sparks and hold on tight
the higher we get the colder the wind whips in my face
and it feels like i'm breathing for the first time tonight

The stars are going out...the darkness is coming...
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:24 pm
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkShark View Post
Aaah, now you would think that but no. Due to many 'so boring it's coma inducing' english grammar and vocabulary lessons asking me to stretch my self and define words like 'courageous' and find another word for it, as well as other ones I probably could have done in my sleep when I was 10, I now have an extreme aversion to dictionaries and thesauruses. I don't know it's just weird.
I agree. Using stuff like dictionaries and thesauruses works fine, but it really is dull and it's much easier IMO just to have a computer. It's very easy to access online things like that, and you don't have to go flipping through tons of pages. Just my opinion.

Old March 30th, 2008, 12:47 am
Fourth Year

that's why word has a synonym option...which makes me happy.

My deviantART page:

"Writers are an ornery lot, and apt to run off in the oddest directions when you give them an idea." -Bruce Coville
Old March 30th, 2008, 1:42 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Saves thinking (and being creative) I suppose.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old March 31st, 2008, 1:32 am
Fourth Year

well, not so much, because you still have to pick a word, and if the choices still don't sound right then you can go and get a thesaurus or go to dictionary.reference.com, which has a thesaurus on there somewhere.

My deviantART page:

Old March 31st, 2008, 3:37 am
Third Year

computer. how can you make a mistake?
and plus, you can save people the trouble of trying to figure out your writing.

oo and no eraser marks!

and its good fo the enviroment.. because if you make a mistake on a good copy on paper, you chuck it, on the ocmp, you delete it!

for other hockey team supporters:
its too late to apologize... but its not to late to flamitize!
I'VE GOT A C FLAMING ON MY CHEST!

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)

Snape always had a reason

http://www.calgary-city-maps.com/images/CalgaryFlames.gif
Old April 2nd, 2008, 8:23 am
Conquering Reading Lists

I associate writing with a paper and a pen only....i write it first and then type it out.....I just can't write anything creative staring at the computer with my fingers wobbling on the keyboard...lol

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old April 2nd, 2008, 9:46 pm
Ultimate Dog Lover

I use a variety of media to get a story down!

A sudden inspiration can hit anywhere. Unfortunately, I only have a humongous PC at home. That can be very difficult to lug around for the off chance that inspiration hits at the grocery store between the Roma tomatoes and the Charmin bath tissue.

So, I have a spiral notebook in each car. I also have a small notebook in my purse. In addition to that, I have found that the "notes" function of my cellphone is excellent for making quick voice recordings of ideas and thoughts. It's also much better than trying to scribble down ideas at 65 mph on the interstate.

While my handwriting is pretty good, when something *clicks*, and the idea starts flowing a million miles a minute, I'm sailing across the paper. I don't worry about the "right" word, I can fix that later. If I can't think of the right word, I simply put the "so-so" word in brackets to come back to later. I may have arrows all over my paper, as ideas don't always come in the proper order. I scrawl notes in the margins, or draw diagrams with stick figures to help me get the picture straight in my head.

When an idea hits, and stories start exploding from my otherwise vapid brain, I'm the type of writer that will drag out my lipstick and scrawl on the back of my hand...or scratch words on a big rock with a smaller rock.

Creation in all its primitive forms, is a messy venture. From the muck of voice, scrawls, pictographs and bad typing rises an idea....a story, hopefully Once the creation muck is molded, hardened and polished, it can be a thing of beauty and inspiration of it's own. This is when I usually raise it up to the tower and wait for a lightning storm..."IT'S ALIVE ! IT'S ALIVE! IT'S AL.." Sorry, I get carried away. Where were we?

Oh yes, I also like the computer. I type faster than I can hand write, so it suits me great. Again, I "flow" the ideas and outlines out first in a draft. All mediums (voice recorded, handwritten or rock scratched) can be re-entered on my computer, rearranged, word-smithed, "fluffed" up and speel chuckered into a final version.

The one drawback to the computer is: I've never accidentally deleted my entire spiral notebook while trying to save. In fact, I just had to re-write this entire entry because the speel chucker and "refresh" buttons are next to each other, and the same color.

If you ever want to hear the most horrible sound, listen to a writer who's hard drive just fatally crashed and who didn't make hard copies or back ups of their work.

There is something to be said of "the old ways".

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:56 am
Fourth Year

I do both. Because I never know when an inspiration will come I need my paper and pens with me. Then I can type them up when I get home.

Old April 17th, 2008, 6:37 pm
Registered Animagus

There is the huge risk of losing everything on your computer, but that being said, I choose the computer.

Ever since I started typing, regular writing has become harder and harder, lol! I know it sounds weird, but I get more tired when actually writing on paper, then on the computer. When writing, my fingers get sore, and my arm starts to hurt, which makes it harder to write, and if you got something in your head, you need to have it ready to put into words.

Computer is so much easier when writing. So the consequences of there being the small chance that you could lose it all if your computer gets cranky does not outweigh the fact that writing on the computer is easier than writing on paper.

Old April 21st, 2008, 7:00 pm
First Year

I'd have to say I like the pen and paper. I'm writing some fiction now, and I love to go to a cafe in town and writing until I can't anymore. When I finish a number of chapters, though, I guess I'll have no choice but to use the computer.

I find people watching to be the greatest form of inspiration there is. As JK says, "There's something about a blank piece of paper before you, a cup of tea to your left, and a new pen in your right hand that inspires."

Anyway, I'm two chapters in, and I look forward to writing whenever I have time.

B

Old April 28th, 2008, 7:33 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

It's not so much the paper, it's the physical act of writing. That's why I'd like a tablet pc where I can do the physical writing without using so much paper. My room can get such a mess with paper scattered everywhere.

Oh, I know I'm weird, but I actually like the physical aspect of writing.

I feel more creative when I'm writing rather than typing. I do less editing which means I get more down. I also like to scribble, which helps keep the creative juices flowing. It's harder to scribble on a PC.

I think the bigger question for me is pencil or pen? I prefer pencil. I write better with pencil (mechanical pencil, preferably). I can erase pencil. It's odd, but sometimes I feel more creative after I've erased something. Plus, it saves paper to erase. I've heard you shouldn't erase anything, because it might be useful later (this is with writing, not with something like doing math homework), but the stuff I erase are thing I know I'm not using later.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.

Last edited by leah49; April 28th, 2008 at 7:38 pm.
Old April 28th, 2008, 8:49 pm
First Year

It all depends. When I'm ill and stuck in bed, I'll use pen and paper and then type it up onto computer, but for the most part I use computer because I find it easier (I can touch-type, which makes things a lot quicker for me). I prefer the computer, because you can save everything you've written so say that your dog ate your notebook (it could happen!), you'd lose everything in your notebook but I don't think that dogs can eat computers....or can they?

Pirates are all we can be!
Old May 27th, 2008, 2:35 pm
First Year

It all depends how I feel really. If I have an idea that I absoloutely HAVE to write a fan fiction out of, I tend to use my laptop. If I have had something planned then I use pen and paper. But I ALWAYS transfer anything I write to a word document so I can spell and grammar check it.

Old May 30th, 2008, 12:40 am
First Year

I prefer computer, but I bring notebooks with me to jot down ideas, timelines, family trees, maps and such. But when I want to write a flowing story, I use the computer. It's faster and I can type my thoughts as I think them, writing takes a while and while you are scribbling madly, many many more ideas come and it gets overwhelming.

Rue, even for ruth, here shortly shall be seen,
In the remembrance of a weeping queen.
~Gardener, Richard II.

Old June 26th, 2008, 3:50 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
Oh, I know I'm weird, but I actually like the physical aspect of writing.
I don't think you are wierd for enjoying putting pen (or pencil ) to paper. After all it is called 'writing' not 'typing' a book. Typing a first draft has only really become common in the last 20 years (possibly 50 on type-writers), every writer for the rest of time had to actually write. Cavepeople drew paintings on the wall to tell stories, putting pen to paper (or pigment to rock) is a human instinct which evokes the senses and links us with our past.

Also, I feel more of a sense of achievement when I finish handwriting a chapter. Typing the first draft just seems like rushing to me. This is fine for homework etc... but when you are creating a thing of intelligence and beauty like a book or story I think that it is important to take your time. Writing is a craft afterall, something to enjoy, not something you should rush through.

Not that anyone cares what I usually think so feel free to ignore this post.....

Old June 26th, 2008, 11:25 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehedwig View Post
I have a really bad habit of buying notebooks and journals to write in, but never actually using them. I'd love to write on paper, and I have, but I tend to write better and be more creative when I'm on the computer. And it's so much easier to just look up a word on dictionary.com than actually getting a dictionary and looking for the word.
I usually start a story on paper and never finish it or I'm unsatisfied with it. But on the computer, I can finish something and actually like it.
I think you might be me in another body.

I have the same trouble sometimes, or well, I used to until I realized that I was wasting my money. I'd buy notebooks, and I'd never write in them or write a little in them then stop because I just couldn't express my ideas the way I'd like to with a pen.

Then when I go on the computer I can write really well, and never feel like I'm not expressing myself to the fullest. I just like computers.

Old July 7th, 2008, 9:07 am
Second Year

Hmm...well, for me, it really depends on the story. I have one story currently on hold right now that I can only write with some paper and a pen, then I later go back and type it. My current project I have to type on the computer. I don't know exactly why I do that, but whatever gets the story written, I suppose.