Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Computer versus Paper: The Eternal Debate

Old March 15th, 2008, 5:56 pm
Third Year

Re: Computer versus Paper: The Eternal Debate

I'm a both. I tend to jot ideas or parts of stories down as I go on paper, cos otherwise I forget. Then I'll go to the computer and type it up, make changes etc then.

Using the computer I find is much easier, especially when I need to find something. Ctrl + F is my new best friend!

All you have to do is take that one step.'
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2008, 5:00 am
Fourth Year

i like paper. i dunno, but there's something in the way a pencil glides across a piece of paper that really gets me. it's just not the same with a keyboard. of course, when my laptop was still alive, i enjoyed typing, too...but now i'm pretty much cold turkey paper.

i tend to edit as i write; like, i'll think about a sentence, sound it out in my head, and if it flows right, i'll write it down. even more editing goes in when i type it out after writing it out, but that's good.

that, and just writing is a lot more private. until i finally drag my lazy butt off the couch and get a job and buy a new laptop...i'm pretty much grounded.

"Things are never quite as scary when you're with your best friend."
My deviantART page:

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
"Writers are an ornery lot, and apt to run off in the oddest directions when you give them an idea." -Bruce Coville
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Personally, I like to write things on paper, just a continuous stream of thought usually, then put some structure on it before or sometimes while typing and print it off before going through it with a red pen and making more changes.

Old March 19th, 2008, 9:42 pm
Defender of Dogs

I couldn't even imagine using paper and pen anymore; my story has a basis in history and I desperately need the INternet to look up obscure dates, because I try to keep things as accurate as possible. Plus, my fingers would get cramped up after writing 600 pages, with a computer you don't need to cross things out when you can retype them, and it's just easier if you're trying to keep track of a million plot lines at once like me. But this is all just my opinion; I know of plenty of good authors who use paper and pen, so it's just a preference and one doesn't really work better than the other.

Old March 19th, 2008, 10:10 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

I must admit that my problem with writing on the computer is that I find it a really hard way to organise my writing and my thoughts. For some reason, I find myself getting into a bit of a fluster. Even writing essays, it's stupid, but I get higher marks in the ones that I've used a pen and paper than I have with just typing straight onto the computer. It's weird, but organising thoughts is only a thing I can do on paper. However, I think it's more convenient to use the computer because I'm on it quite a bit at the moment and it's good when you need to research.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:39 am
First Year

I prefer paper and pen. It HAS to be a pen. I refuse to write ANYTHING in pencil. 'Cause I'm just weird like that.

I usually go back and type it all up and form a final draft completely on computer, but it has to be a composition book and pen first.

Old March 20th, 2008, 3:13 am
Fourth Year

i prefer pencils, personally. easy to erase, and not as messy. although they smear easier...but that's okay. i dunno, comp notebooks were always harder for me to write in. spiral bound, all the way!

My deviantART page:

"Writers are an ornery lot, and apt to run off in the oddest directions when you give them an idea." -Bruce Coville
Old March 20th, 2008, 3:47 am
First Year

Spirals fall apart way too easily. I'm not hard on my notebooks, but my family is. And graphite smears and fades away. I once wrote a life-or-death-important character analysis on one of my story people in pencil. Within three days, all the handling it was receiving made the pencil marks fade to the 'unreadable' stage. I've stuck with pens ever since.

Old March 24th, 2008, 12:32 am
Fourth Year

cool. i mean, not cool that you lost a vitally important analysis, but that you stuck with what works for you. actually, did you get what you needed from it, though, or did you have to rewrite it, or what?

My deviantART page:

Old March 24th, 2008, 12:47 am
Defender of Dogs

I respect people's opinions, but as someone who almost always only uses computers, what is gained when using paper? With a computer, you don't get writers cramp, you can look up stuff very easily, and you don't have to sharpen your pencil/get more ink for your pen. So what's better about paper? Just wondering.

Old March 24th, 2008, 2:55 am
Fifth Year

I prefer writing on the computer because I type so much faster than I write, so I get my ideas down faster without worrying as much about forgetting them. Plus my hand doesn't cramp up and I don't have to worry about trying to read the mess later. It's also easier to edit on the computer, and you have a quick access to the internet for research.

The downside is, if you don't have a laptop (like me), you can't write wherever you want. So a notebook would be helpful in those situations. It's easier to carry around and you can pull it out and write in it any time.

Old March 24th, 2008, 3:27 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH View Post
I respect people's opinions, but as someone who almost always only uses computers, what is gained when using paper? With a computer, you don't get writers cramp, you can look up stuff very easily, and you don't have to sharpen your pencil/get more ink for your pen. So what's better about paper? Just wondering.
preference, mostly. the cramp says you've been working.... i dunno, maybe i'm just wierd like that, but i like the feel of a pencil on paper. there's no way to replicate that. and, if you use mechanical pencils, you don't even have to get up to sharpen 'em. it is a bit of a hassle when i have a heart attack because i think i lost something, but i always find it in the end. it's more organized, in some ways, too--instead of flipping around on a computer for a file my sister probably deleted, i just pull it out of the bookshelf, out from under the bed, out of my imaginary filing cabinet...whatever.

My deviantART page:

Old March 24th, 2008, 11:18 am
Fourth Year

I'm not bothered, I'm generally a quick typer but I am a VERY fast writer. I do tend to write on paper though...

Utopia: Teddy Lupin - 2009+

Thora Jinks - 2008/2010

And if you're feeling it, take a look at my art!

Old March 25th, 2008, 2:37 am
Fourth Year

we're in the same boat, then.

My deviantART page:

Old March 26th, 2008, 3:59 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieWitch View Post
did you get what you needed from it, though, or did you have to rewrite it, or what?
I had to rewrite it from scratch. It was terrible.

Old March 26th, 2008, 4:36 pm
do you want fries with that?

If I do write on paper, I prefer composition notebooks and either a pen or mechanical pencil. I like pens in really random colors like orange and teal though You can tell in my class notes when I start to write because I get out a colored pen.

I also prefer the computer though because I can type much faster than I can write and my writing is terrible. I can barely read it at times, and I hate constantly having to turn pages But its all just a matter of preference

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old March 27th, 2008, 2:56 am
Banned

I use both. I get my story's out of my head and onto paper a lot easier than with the computer. So first I write it on paper then I type it up on word perfect, do spell check of course, and then I print it. It's a long process, but it works.

Old March 27th, 2008, 9:21 am
Fifth Year

It depends-usually ideas might strike me at 1am or on the outskirts of university, far away from any computers. So, I usually keep some refill and pens handy for those moments. However, if a computer is on hand I might actually type something there. Usually it's in the daytime-though there was one time when a whole song threatened to enter my head, and I had to switch the computer back on-at 1am mind you-and type out four lines, lest it escaped my head in the morning, having eloped with one of my dreams...

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old March 27th, 2008, 10:32 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH View Post
with a computer you don't need to cross things out when you can retype them,
And therein is a problem. Physical copies -- either longhand, typewritten or printed straight from computer -- allow you to make corrections, unmake corrections and allow you to see what you discarded.

"I do the first draft longhand because I want to see what I've crossed out easily. Because sometimes the bit you crossed out is the bit you should put back." -- Clive James

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old March 28th, 2008, 1:03 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

I tend to do a bit of both myself. When I'm near a computer, I definitely prefer the computer, though, since I type quickly and I have sloppy handwriting. However, if I have a sudden idea, I often find it easier and better to just get a paper and pencil out and let the ideas flow. When that happens, I will later go to the computer and type it up. That process actually helps me improve my writing since I'm able to catch errors that I made or parts that could be phrased better while I'm typing up the story.

Brave, Loyal, Smart.

"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?"
"So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking" ~Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner