Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

There's an Idea, a Pen, and Paper. What next?

Old March 7th, 2008, 3:50 pm
Sixth Year

Re: There's an Idea, a Pen, and Paper. What next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
I just write and see what happens.
Me too. I don't really see any other way of doing it. Once the idea is in my head, the only way to get it out is to write it down and see where it goes. I never (or very rarely) plan stories out, I write them as I feel them and then go back over it later to see firstly if it looks as good as it seemed when I was thinking about it, and secondly to change anything that I think could make it better.

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Fourth Year

Normally, i get an idea when i least expect it. I can be in town, and see a person who i think looks interesting and then before i know it, i have a character with a background and setting! I prefer to be alone when i'm writing, and as GinnyPotter19 said, i hate it when people look over my shoulder, too.

I once saw a dress in a really strange and unique sort of shop, where i could hardly name anything in it-and the more i looked at this dress, the more i could imagine the character in it! Pretty wierd, huh?

Yeah, most of my insparation comes from the outside world. I find it best to just use the insparation as soon as it comes. And be on the look out all the time. If you see a -i don't know- an interesting-looking dog, keep it in mind!

And that's basically my wierd truth and advice about writing!

Dandini

Utopia: Teddy Lupin - 2009+

Thora Jinks - 2008/2010

And if you're feeling it, take a look at my art!

Old June 14th, 2008, 7:40 am
Sixth Year

I don't have much experience writing books or anything, just essays and stories that I've had to do for school, so you might want to try a different method if you're writing a novel or something.

I find it easier to brainstorm first when I have an idea rather than just start writing immediately. I usually just write down things that I want to include and then try to number them so I can at least get some sort of outline for my story/essay. Then, I just do what Wab says: I write and see what happens! I may not have the best organizational process, though, because I always do a lot of editing; change this, take out that, add this here, move this sentence here...

Well, that's just how I do it.

Old June 15th, 2008, 10:37 pm
Second Year

Okay. I have an idea (actually MANY).

Now have any of you seen Avatar on Nick?

Well, my idea is similar to tht. How exactly would I describe the characters, like: I want to have a boy be good, but at the same time I want to have him bad, but not revealing that he is good.

Exc. I am at the super market, and I am good. Later that day, I steal a cookie from another super market, but they don't know it was me. The next day, I am at the same super market I stole from, yet I am good.

And how exactly can I express someone having fire or something come from his hands?

Old August 5th, 2008, 8:18 am
First Year

I have a notebook that I keep with me at all times. I jot down the ideas as they come to me. I then play the chapters out in my head for a few days until I decide what I like the best.

Then I start a new document and copy the ideas from the notebook into my computer along with the ones in my head. Then I got to decide what goes where.

Sometimes I even start writing another story if I get writer's block on the one I am working on.

Old August 6th, 2008, 12:24 am
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Most of the time when I start a piece I create the characters first. Mostly I do this on the computer. When it comes time to actually write the story I use a notebook. I can carry my notebook with me so I don't have to sit at my desk. I can lay down. I can go outside. I also like the feeling of the pencil on paper. I feel more creative that way.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old August 12th, 2008, 3:20 pm
Fourth Year

If I feel like writing I'll write, with no idea or story in mind. I'm very bad at thinking of ideas, but the words come out. I've wrote some short stories that were part of my coursework that my teachers loved, so I figured I'll try a short book. I was up till 3 last night because I was trying desperately to think of an idea, and several little ones popped up. Sometimes in my mind (usually when I'm trying to get to sleep) I get a line in
my head and I have to write it down straight away.

I also listen to music with a notebook in my hand and write down lyrics I like the sound of, and build the ideas into my story.

If all else fails I write down character types, genres and settings down on pieces of paper, close my eyes and pick a few of them. I suppose it's not a good quality in a wannabe writer, but I tend to write better when I'm told what to write, for example in school when my teachers give me a title or genre of a story and tell me to write 500 or so words.

xx

"Everything in this room is eatible, even I'm eatible. But that, dear children, is called cannibalism and is frowned upon in most societies."
Old August 12th, 2008, 4:26 pm
Seventh Year

Usually the characters come to me first. Like the lead characters will sort of form themselves in my mind, and then I'll spend days sort of mapping out in my mind who they are. I have a journal that I use to write down character points as I map them -- figuring out what kinds of things make them tick, what kinds of ideosyncrasies they have. I also often do sketches of them so that I can really get a feel for what the characters look like.
Then their stories sort of flow from there. I sort of see them getting into scrapes, meeting other characters, and then this huge plot sort of jumps out and suddenly I've got my story.

And then I write. I prefer to type because I can type 80 wpm, which is a heck of a lot faster than I can write. That way I get my ideas out more quickly (without losing them). I also prefer to type because my handwriting is so messy sometimes I'll go back to read things I've written in *** past and can't make out more than a word or two of it.
So typing's definitely the best option for me.

I have a laptop and I prefer to write in bed. I went camping to the cottage with my parents last weekend and got a LOT of writing done while I was there. Mixing up the scenery helps, I find. Finding a new spot to sit and write at than the one you used yesterday makes it feel less like work and more like inspiration.

I also take breaks and write something else if I'm getting bogged down on a scene. Sometimes I'll leave it alone for days while I'm trying to build up the courage to write a scene that has been looming on the horizon and that really sets the plot in motion. I find I kind of quake a bit when I reach those scenes: those pivotal moments that set the story to the next level. Usually they've been playing over in my head for months before I ever write them, so when it is time to write them I can sometimes have writers' block.

Watch the show Supernatural! It's the best show to grace the TV screen in years. I PROMISE!
Old October 24th, 2008, 6:58 am
First Year

scenes pop into my head and i will write them down. the only problem is that they are all to different stories. so i just have a bunch of story beginnings and junk lol.

Old October 25th, 2008, 10:38 pm
Fifth Year

I tend to write down whatever interesting thing comes into my head, if I'm lucky and actually have a notepad nearby! I usually slap it onto Microsoft Word straight away; I only use a pad for the scene if I don't have immediate access to a computer, lest I forget the heart of the scene. For me, if I just write down part of the scene on the notepad (my brain has a habit of making like a cheetah and racing far faster than my hand could ever write), and come back to it later, it comes rushing back. Usually, it's probably slightly different to the original scene that popped into my head earlier, but is still quite similar.

I'm also one of those who don't really take the time to plot it out step by step by step, and I let my characters do the walking and the talking. I have some idea of what the character's temperance is like, but I let him/her surprise me. Sometimes, when I'm awake in bed at night, a character might reveal a before-hidden side of themselves, and I think "that's it! Thanks, *insert character here*!"

I also tend to have an idea flow at the worst possible times, or at ridiculous hours of the day (tending to be ungodly hours ranging from midnight to 5 a.m. ). That means I have to switch on the lights, race to the closest pen and notepad I can find, and speedily jot it down before my brain smothers the idea. I don't like to turn on the computer any time after 10 p.m. for some reason, unless I'm in the middle of a scene, which is different.

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old October 26th, 2008, 6:29 am
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

So the real question here is 'what do you do when you get an idea,' right? Okay: It depends on where the idea comes from. Some ideas I get staring at cool-looking album covers, posters, or completely random things. I envisioned an entire character's family history by looking at a charm necklace my cousin gave me for my birthday one year.

Once the idea happens, before I write anything down, I just chill and think about for awhile. "Awhile" here meaning "for-ev-er." I let my mind wander when I'm watching TV, driving, or bored at work. And if the idea sticks, I do something about it. If it doesn't, it goes in the bin. If the idea sticks, I write it down. Somewhere. Anywhere. Sometimes it's just a phrase, or a description of a character, or a setting. Sometimes I do charcoal sketches of what I think my characters, settings, or whatever look like.

Several months pass during this process. And then I actually start writing. I generally get down a few thousand words - a good opening scene, some dialogue, moving the characters through an interesting locale, getting a feel for the tone of the story - and then I go back to the beginning and edit the tar out of it. Then I write a little more, go back to the beginning, and edit it to within an inch of its life again.

If the story reaches a length where I feel like I can actually do something useful with it, I bring it along to my writer's workshop and have people other than me give me feedback on it. That helps a *lot,* because we all have blind spots with our writing that only an unbiased opinion can help us overcome. (A few of things I've been told to watch out for are using too many -ings, passive voice, and the word "look," for some reason.) Then I go back, with those things in mind, and edit it some more. (I also over-edit. I'm a perfectionist, I admit that.)

One thing I learned from that workshop is that it's okay to give up on a story if your muse just isn't around for a while. Let it go, leave it alone for awhile, don't freak out over the fact that you're not writing a whole lot (or in my case, staring at what I had written for about two hours, between games of Spider Solitaire, and eventually going, "GAH!--I HATE IT!!" and shutting it down again), and if it's meant to be, the inspiration will come again.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:03 am
Secret Keeper

I personally prefer the computer for writing. Writing on paper is fine, but with typing, it's way easier to go back and edit. I don't really think before I write that much, only general ideas rather than actual words and somehow I do'nt really have too much of a problem expressing myself

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old October 27th, 2008, 4:41 am
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

^It's certainly easier to edit, but I always keep a notebook with me just in case. You never know when inspiration will strike!

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old May 1st, 2009, 9:01 am
Assistant to Professor Snape/Trapdoor Champion

I usually like to have about 4-5 ideas at hand and after that I discuss it with my parents and get their feedbacks. Then I will write a rough outline of the story and subdivide them into chapters. After I decide about the content, I try to give life to the characters by the way of certain quirks that the characters have. The most important thing of course is the selection of a particular theme/themes around which the story is developed.

I cried, when I saw the "It all ends!" banner!!

But now I know, it never will....
Old May 22nd, 2009, 3:18 am
First Year

My ideas tend to pop into my head while I'm writing another story. Sometimes you just get ideas that won't work in that story and they aren't good anyway, but sometimes you go 'Oh sweet, I just hit something awesome.' Once I get that idea, I stop what I'm doing, and spend the next few nights mulling my idea over. I like to think while I'm going to sleep and right after I wake up. That half-asleep state of mind really helps me think of ideas, and reach into parts of my mind I wouldn't normally use in normal thinking about a story.
I focus on characters first. I normally get the characters, and once I have the characters, create a simple plot. I mull it over for a long time, some for almost two months, and once I feel like I have the first inkling of a dialogue or scene, I grab a notebook. I organize my stuff, especially characters, it normally doesn't take more than a few pages. Then, I read it every night for about a week, make notes, change things, sketch objects and stuff. Sometime during that week-I never know when, I'll wake up the next morning, and just KNOW that it's time to write. I head straight to my computer, open a new document in pages, and start from the beginning. I rarely start in the middle, I like the story to have a forward motion and I like things to build as I go along. I try to have a very polished draft the first time, because I spend all that time before working out kinks. Of course, as I write, I have to think of new things, but writers block doesn't get me pretty bad. If it does, I just put on some music and stare at the computer screen until my mind gets back on track.

Rue, even for ruth, here shortly shall be seen,
In the remembrance of a weeping queen.
~Gardener, Richard II.

Old June 14th, 2009, 1:47 am
Banned

I never start off first with just a pen and a notebook. I have to have an idea in my head first. Just sitting there with the paper and pen in my hand doesn't work for me. Neither does it for just sitting at my desk with Microsoft Word open.

When I get an idea in my head, I just think over it for a few days and see if I can construct characters and the full plot in my head before I even begin writing it down on paper. If I think it's going to work, then I start writing.

Before, I would start to write stories without having thought about my idea through properly first and I found that my stories couldn't end right and that there were plot holes, mistakes, and very poorly written characters that I just couldn't use right. So, I started thinking about the ideas more as they came into my head and that helped a lot because, even though my stories do still have mistakes and a few plot holes, at least it's better than just going straight at it right when the idea comes up. Plus, it's also easier to fix. My earlier stories, I just wanted to rip up and throw away because of all the mistakes I had made.

When I do start writing, I have to have silence. No one can be in the same room with me and I have do everything in my power to block out background noise because it just distracts me way too much. Then, I have to have my iPod on with some music, any kind of music, but with the volume low. Music tends to inspire me, whether it be classical music (which is pretty much all I listen to while writing) or some cheesy pop music. My ideas flow better when I have music with me. I also never write during the day unless I've suddenly got an idea and it's urgent for me to write it down. My ideas also flow better at the dead of night (mainly, midnight through 4 in the morning)

As I start out, I don't ever start with the title. True, the title does kind of show what your story is about, but I'm just terrible at creating titles that I never start out with it first. So, I just start out with the story. Whether it be a little introduction to everything that's going on or going straight into the story with some dialogue from the characters, it doesn't matter, as long as my ideas are coming out.

Old June 14th, 2009, 2:02 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
I never start off first with just a pen and a notebook. I have to have an idea in my head first. Just sitting there with the paper and pen in my hand doesn't work for me. Neither does it for just sitting at my desk with Microsoft Word open.

Before, I would start to write stories without having thought about my idea through properly first and I found that my stories couldn't end right and that there were plot holes, mistakes, and very poorly written characters that I just couldn't use right. So, I started thinking about the ideas more as they came into my head and that helped a lot because, even though my stories do still have mistakes and a few plot holes, at least it's better than just going straight at it right when the idea comes up. Plus, it's also easier to fix. My earlier stories, I just wanted to rip up and throw away because of all the mistakes I had made.
That's probably my biggest problems, while I am writing I start figuring out mistakes, that it's working out wrong. But i'm pretty sure that all fantasy writers have that problem, authors take years and years to their books, i'm sure they change every single thing. I bet HP SS/PS was very different when JKR wrote it for the first time.

Quote:
When I do start writing, I have to have silence. No one can be in the same room with me and I have do everything in my power to block out background noise because it just distracts me way too much. Then, I have to have my iPod on with some music, any kind of music, but with the volume low. Music tends to inspire me, whether it be classical music (which is pretty much all I listen to while writing) or some cheesy pop music. My ideas flow better when I have music with me. I also never write during the day unless I've suddenly got an idea and it's urgent for me to write it down. My ideas also flow better at the dead of night (mainly, midnight through 4 in the morning)
Same here, even lyrics can inspire me. When I hear lyrics to a song that really interest me, that usually makes me think very deeply about them and somehow revolves into a story that ends up being completely different from the lyric it was inspired by. But even when that doesn't happen, music is my guide in life, I need it.

Quote:
As I start out, I don't ever start with the title. True, the title does kind of show what your story is about, but I'm just terrible at creating titles that I never start out with it first. So, I just start out with the story. Whether it be a little introduction to everything that's going on or going straight into the story with some dialogue from the characters, it doesn't matter, as long as my ideas are coming out.
I never start out with the title either, just because when I do, the story I write will be written to fit the title, when it should be the title fitting the story. When I first decide the title, the story HAS to be about the title, when that's really not what it should be like. I only make up the title after I finish the entire story, and it takes me days and days to make one up.

Further, to comment on the actual question. When I write, I have a story in my head, I make sure it's really in my head, I go to sleep at night thinking about that idea the entire time, somehow I dream about it, I dream the exact story, and most of the time I dont remember it, but when I do, an incredible story just comes flowing out. It's really my brain doing all the work while i'm sleeping.

It does not do good to dwell on dreams, and forget to live.

'So, did you and Ginny do it?'
Old June 14th, 2009, 3:09 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyPotter15 View Post
I never start out with the title either, just because when I do, the story I write will be written to fit the title, when it should be the title fitting the story. When I first decide the title, the story HAS to be about the title, when that's really not what it should be like. I only make up the title after I finish the entire story, and it takes me days and days to make one up.
That's how I am too if I first write the title. Then, I end up throwing the story out and calling myself an idiot because I usually put myself off of my own idea when I do that.

I'll usually come up with the title about one or two chapters into the story. Even then, it's usually a rough draft of the title and I pay no mind to it until the story is finished. Then, if the title doesn't fit the story anymore, I'll just create a new one.

Old August 26th, 2009, 4:23 am
First Year

Writing a Script...what should happen next?

Alright so the Slytherins were playing a game of Truce or Scare, doesn't really matter what that is right now, so basically they ended up getting into the Ravenclaw common room to Silly String the Rowena statue..they silly stringed the statue and then this happens...

Draco - “What’s the big deal about this statue anyway? Why is it so special that it has to stay locked up in here? We don’t have a Salazar bust in our common room.”

Millicent - “Well maybe it’s something more. Do you remember that new spell we learned in class the other day, the one that reveals anything hidden by magic. SpecialisRevelio!”

Rowena Statue - “I am a chamber, made to hold powerful or valuable magical creatures that most chambers don’t. Such as House Elves and Ghosts.”

Goyle - “This is a chamber? How?”

“Magic, duh!” says Millicent as she hits Goyle upside the head.

“Wow. It’s a well disguised chamber. Look, it has real clothes!” says Pansy whilst tugging lightly on the statue’s skirt. She raises it slightly to reveal chains around the stones ankles.

Draco walks over - “Hey, look at that” - He points at the lock holding the chains closed. “Do you think that lock is holding the chamber closed? It has to be more complicated than that.”

Millicent - “Well maybe not. If it’s locked from the outside, whatever creature is in there wouldn’t get out.”

Pansy - “We should open it.”

Goyle steps in front of Millicent and Draco to talk to them, he says, “How do we open it?”

Millicent - “Oh Gosh Goyle, we ARE wizards you know.”

Draco - “Blimey, if you were any slower you’d be going backwards.” He pushes Goyle aside, points his wand at the lock and says, “Alohomora.”

The lock falls down off the chain, Pansy unwraps the statues legs. The skirt starts to split and the legs open. Something starts to come out. Something that looks just like the statue. As the ghost crawls out she points a wand behind her and says “Reducto.” The statue is now gone, the ghost is in it’s place.

------- So what should happen next?
- Why was Rowena trapped?
- Who put her there?
- How are the Slytherins keeping all the Ravenclaws out while they do this?
- How do the Slytherins get the common room back to normal?
- oh, and also, it's a script for the daycare kids we have here, a girl would like to be Luna...what should happen with her?

Why Are You Worrying About You-Know-Who?
You SHOULD Be Worrying About
U-NO-POO
The Consitpation Sensation That's Gripping the Nation!

SlythenClaw
But sorted into Ravenclaw and proud of it!
"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure"
Old December 17th, 2009, 7:12 am
First Year

For me, I just start drawing what I see in my mind. Sometimes, my drawings will inspire me. What also inspires me is watching Disney movies and Walt Disney biographies. Sounds really dumb, I know, but seeing how Walt Disney made his dreams come true inspires me and gets me at my fullest. Other times, if I feel like I need even MORE inspiration, i'll watch the "J.K. Rowling: A Year in the LIfe" interview. She too inspires me to write, and from there, I sometimes come up with the wackiest ideas.

Other times, i'll just use my own life events and put them into words on paper or computer. I'll twist them up, make them more interesting for a story, and i'm good to go. But usually for me, I'm at my best when i'm in school writing during class. Not a good thing on my part, but it just works better for me. It always has. Most days though, something bad happens to me, and i'll write it down in story form, and from that I may become inspired.

I can usually find some way to inspire myself, but it just takes me a while to think about. But I almost always get my ideas out, one way or the other.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner