Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

There's an Idea, a Pen, and Paper. What next?

Old February 7th, 2008, 12:58 am
Fourth Year

There's an Idea, a Pen, and Paper. What next?

OK, so lets say you've never written anything but some of those essay's that the school forces you to write (though you know you really enjoy them. Even if it may be deep down inside.) Or perhaps you've written many things before but now you want a new story idea and you have the perfect idea that really needs to get out of your head. Your only problem is, how do you get it out?

There is a pencil and paper right in front of you, but the words are in your head and it's impossible to come up with everything you want to say and describe on words that are written for the world to see.

There are many ways to begin writing, and some of them may be the most craziest things you've ever heard. Or, if you're extrememly boring, organized people such as myself, it's easy to write with a few ideas on paper!

The question I ask you is how do you like to start a story and how do you start a story?

First, I go out and buy those composition notebooks and then one of them is for my ideas and ideas alone. It may be math that I need so I know how a period of time has passed since that last accured. I may even use it to write down a whole history story of a kingdom or neighborhood. The only thing is, those are still ideas. When I start writing I like to by making sure I have everything beside me. I know my own comfort zones, so I'll have a clock near by, a drink, and I'll be laying on my stomach under the covers in my bed. I just may listen to the radio or watch some television sometimes.

A great way I like to start is by putting a fantasy movie in (I like writing fantasy) and put it on mute. Eventually I will get bored of writing and look up at the screen every once in a while and what I see, but cannot hear, I can sometimes come up with new things that have inspired me. Perhaps when they were really avoiding the forest, I've imagined them to say they will go inside the forest and it mostly has to do with scenery without disruption.

I start a story by making sure no one is around me. I may even be home alone sometimes. But I hate when people read over my shoulder, it makes me feel all self-concious that someone may not like my ideas. But I have my idea book right next to me and I look through it whenever I need something, such as a name of a character, or a description I have of one of my kingdoms. I think one of the best ways to start a story is by describing the description of the scenery. It lets you know what sort of place your story is set in already. Good, evil, poor, rich, ghetto, anything really.

Once I have a scenery down I'm pretty much caught up in the mood and have started writing. I'd like to see what some of you guys do, too, and it's also great help for those who want to write but are having a hard time starting!

Have fun!

Please check out my non-Harry Potter story Elmandoroth Chapter Two is finished.

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2008, 3:53 am
Third Year

Re: There's an Idea, a Pen, and Paper. What next?

I've tried to write on a note book to try and get the ideas for different things out of my head, but usually, the best way that I write is straight onto Microsoft word on my computer. That's where my ideas are expressed to the fullest. And when I'm trying to think of something good to write about, I'll usually go outside of my home, and just walk around the farm for a while, and pretty soon I'll get a really crazy idea. I really hate people who look at what your writing while your writing the dang thing on a piece of paper, or on the computer. It really makes me mad, and sometimes I lose the idea that I was trying writing about. Other ways that I can get ideas for writing about things are just watching television, reading news stories(I like to make fun of the news and media a lot when I write), and listening to songs on the radio. Oh, and one more thing, this one time, I was watching the latenight show on NBC, and I got this really awesome idea to write about, and it had nothing to do with what the host of the show was talking about. - Luke

Old February 8th, 2008, 4:51 am
do you want fries with that?

The times I find that I'm usually the most productive is during class. Probably not the best idea, but for me it works. I can come up with characters and places and ideas, and just jot them in the margins or all over the pape. I'm more of a poet than a story writer (although I am working on a story right now as well) so I like to write down random phrases and sentences that just enter into my head.

Then at the end of the day I 'll get onto Microsoft Word and write down all the sentences and things I've managed to come up with. Then I'll just pick and choose the ones that fit together and eventually I'll get enough together to have a poem. So most of my stuff is never written together it just ends up that way.

As for stories, I prefer just to keep them written on paper, so I just continue the next time I have class. Right now my Geology class is dedicated more to writing my story than to actual Geology notes.

And other crazy, random things like names and characters I just leave in my notes unless I can think of a use for them.

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old February 8th, 2008, 6:56 am
The Next Great Adventurer

I just write and see what happens.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 8th, 2008, 8:41 am
Fifth Year

first I must have a pen and paper. doesnt work on word processors for me. gipro2003 and I have the same thing in common. it always worked best for me during class but it was always at the expense of that class. I try writing notes sometimes but mostly i lose the idea before i can write it down

Power: A Collection An attempt at one shot fics. Latest Chapter The Trap

Get the daily news on the The Daily Prophet or read past articles in the Daily Prophet Archives

Old February 9th, 2008, 12:31 am
Rex's Mummy

I tend to get ideas at the strangest times, like when I'm showering, or in those bizzare moments right before I fall asleep. The only problem with that is I forget half of what I worte in my mind by the time I have paper to write it on.

I can never, ever type on the computer first. I change my mind too much to do that. I cross things out, change them, move them, etc. all the time, so typing just wouldn't work for me. Plus, sometimes, when I'm in the middle of one scene, I'll get an idea for something that should or could happen later, so I'll jot in down in the margins, then come back. I also write myself notes on research I might need to do to make what I'm writing about historically accurate. So again, the computer doesn't work for me.

I'm the same as Joni when I write. I have to be alone. Not necessarily in my room, but alone. I hate when people look over my shoulder. Not just when I'm writing, but when I'm doing anything. It drives me crazy! I can't listen to music when I write. I find it too distracting. If I do, I often end up accidentaly writing down part of the song instead of what I was thinking, then I go back and read it later, and have no idea what I meant!

I tend to always start stories with an action-type scene. Not like, fighting or stuff, but action as in dialogue, something that will make the reader wonder what the person means, and hopefull be intrigued enough to keep reading. I usually like to describe the people and the places through my character's thoughts and feelings, instead of just a discription.

All this has got me wanting to go work on my story more again!!

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Old February 11th, 2008, 8:57 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

I tend to go out and buy and notebook and then hardly write in it. I have so many ideas that I can't possibly put into words. Mostly I just develop my ideas when I'm in bed about to go to sleep and come up with some really great (well I think they're great ) scenes. This is the time when I'm most relaxed and can peacefully come up with ideas.

I find it really hard to begin writing straight away without planning (I'm really organised and weird like that), so I organise the ideas in my head and pretty much exactly what I'm going to write when I go to bed and then end up writing it in the dark when I'm half asleep.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old February 12th, 2008, 1:04 am
Third Year

Strangely enough, if I have a particular scene in my head, ill write it then and there. This is because I find if I start in the beginning where I'm supposed to start I end up rambling and never going anywhere. This way I know where I am, I know what has to happen to lead up to this part that I'm at and I know what can happen next. Usually after I backtrack I delete what I initially wrote and rewrite it.

Yes I am a glutton for literary punishment, but I'm not one for like decision trees and planning and stuff, I just works that way.

One door, one key, one idea...one big mess.
The Phenomenon Begins
Old February 12th, 2008, 1:54 am
Defender of Dogs

What I've learned from a considerable amount of failed ideas, and many that are still rattling around in my head, is that you can't always try to have a story that goes exactly how you wanted it. You just write down some general things about what you want your story to be about, and let it evolve from that. What I find always helps a lot as well is making up several different plots for one story, so if you get sick of the work you have but still like the idea you can try a different tactic. That's what I do a lot.

Old February 12th, 2008, 3:12 am
First Year

I like working in my room, preferably laying on my bed or sitting at my desk which is right in front of the window. I also like rooms with plenty of natural light; if I don't have natural light, I find that my writing is sloppy and doesn't make much sense. Like many others, I am not the kind of person who likes writing in a notebook and transferring it to Word later; instead, I like using a computer when it is available (this weekend I am getting a laptop, so that should make things easier).

For inspiration, I like looking out the window into the woods or the nearby corn field. That always gets me thinking. Keeping a television or DVD on nearby also helps if the volume is off.

By the way, I hate distractions! My younger brother is probably the most annoying kid I know when it comes to being quiet... if you tell him that you just would like him to quiet down for a few minutes, he starts breathing loud and slamming his foot onto the floor over and over again.

Old February 14th, 2008, 6:55 am
Third Year

Quote:
I tend to get ideas at the strangest times, like when I'm showering, or in those bizzare moments right before I fall asleep. The only problem with that is I forget half of what I worte in my mind by the time I have paper to write it on.
i am exactly like this. my ideas come to me in the shower. and no one's invented waterproof paper and pens yet!

i have to write my ideas down straight away, and i find listening to music usually helps.

i don't have to write in any particular order - my 'major' story has been written from all different parts, beginning, end, middle etc. One story I'm writing now, I've started from PArt Two, because it's flowing easier that Part One.

All you have to do is take that one step.'
Old February 14th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
I just write and see what happens.
Yea that's me for the most part as well. But there are times when I write down any ideas that I have for the story before hand and just go from there too.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old February 15th, 2008, 3:13 am
First Year

Well, I try to come up with an idea first. When I actually try to do this, I come up with ideas that I dump after writing for a few minutes or I change them so much that they are unrecognizable. Like previous posters, I also seem to get the best ideas in the shower or before I go to sleep.

Then I find a notebook and start brainstorming and jotting down ideas. Once I have a vague idea of how the story might go, I try to come up with an outline. It's very undecisive and usually doesn't make much sense. I'll write something like "this happens OR this could happen OR maybe this happens." Anyway, I eventually come up with an outline of some sort.

Next I start writing the first draft. This is usually terrible, but helps sort ideas and plotlines and everything out. It's basically short and undescriptive. Along the way I write notes about anything and everything: character profiles, history of places or thing or people, how something works, etc. Then I just go from there, editing and writing my second draft, etc.

I always write at night because then I can have privacy in my room. Lately I've been writing in my bed while watching Who Wants to be a Millionaire? with the sound turned down really low. That way, if I get bored I have something to stare at. I also don't have long writing periods. As a rule, I have my pen and paper and notes in front of me while the show is on. I may write a few paragraphs or a few pages in that one hour time span. If I get really into writing, I keep on until I get tired or bored. I go at a fairly slow pace, but I try to keep myself writing a bit every day so I don't lose interest.

Old February 15th, 2008, 3:17 am
The Next Great Adventurer

I can't remember who it was (it may have been Steve King) but a writer once said you need two ideas. Then you bash them together like rocks to see if they cause sparks.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old February 18th, 2008, 6:43 am
First Year

I have the tendancy to write the first thing I feel like writing. My stories don't often start at the beginning when I get to writing them. For instance, I came up with one story just because I wanted to write in strong imagery, so the first images I wanted to describe were the one's I got down on paper.

I have a bad habit of getting good ideas at work. I work as a cashier as my first job, so I have a lot of down time to write. I get a pen and paper and start writing exactly what's just popped into my head. When I got my first book published, my manager made a joke, saying "So, do we get a discount because you wrote it on our time?" I didn't write that particular book in the store, but I'd started writing about a hundred others.

I eventually get it home and start writing what comes strongest to me. The next strongest thing that comes to me are the really intense emotional, fight, love, and plot-thick scenes. They come really easily and seem to be the fastest to get down in the computer or on paper.

Old February 24th, 2008, 11:10 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagickeeper View Post
i am exactly like this. my ideas come to me in the shower. and no one's invented waterproof paper and pens yet!
Actually they have. If you go to a dive shop you can buy a slate on which you can write with a normal pencil. It helps to have something to be able to write on underwater when you have an inexperienced diver with you. Just in case you were interested.

I never used to write for fun when I was younger, though my teacher always complimented me on my writing skills so it got me thinking that I might actually be good. So I decided that I wanted to write a novel, but I figured that since I hadn't written in years I should probably start with something smaller.

I had no idea what I wanted to write, so I just got out a notebook and a pen and sat down looking at the page. I figured a fairy tale would probably be something easy to start with so my story is about a princess but I wouldn't call it much of a fairy tale anymore.

How I started was I just wrote down 'Once upon a time' and took it from there. Every time a write a sentence or a paragraph another idea pops into my head and the more I write the more ideas I get.

I agree about having to be alone, but unfortunately in my house that never happens. So I just write before bed when I'm alone in my room and everyone else is sleeping.

Old February 24th, 2008, 11:47 pm
Fourth Year

It seems every time I try to write before bed I tend to be a bit jumpy because I'm not supposed to be awake. Not only do I writte my own stories though, I also help my dad write his own.

Old February 25th, 2008, 2:08 am
Third Year

i also tend to have inspiration at work, when i'm washing the dishes and cutlery. Then i get home, and i forget it. then im like you, ginnypotter, cos i think of things before bed, and it makes me all jumpy and awake!

All you have to do is take that one step.'
Old February 25th, 2008, 3:01 am
Fourth Year

Another good way for me to write is by looking at the Harry Potter banners that the lovely BA members make. When I see them I get all sorts of insperation and want to write something about them. Like if it's dark and there's someone walking away in the rain there are all sorts of insperational ideas going through my head wanting to make a dark but sad scene. And not all of them are Harry Potter ideas, but just the feeling I want. Even quotes inspire me and I love them. They really get me to go and pick up a pencil and write! .

Old March 7th, 2008, 12:55 pm
Second Year

What I do with a story is chew on it and chew on it until I can no longer chew on it. Then I write it down, or type it, rather. With poetry it has to be there and then. Otherwise I'll lose the idea and inspiration.

check out my fics: Beyond the skies and feedback here, Beyond Reach and feedback here, A Heart's Treasure - one shots and feedback here my sequel Forever Charmed and feedback here and my other next gen fic Setting the Example and feedback here check out these people's fics: celtmama , blue_rose, Beki14, IMissPadfoot, ASM , blue3ski, remusfan, sheilajsn, blood_river, Scamantha, Psyche3, marianna58, baseballblondie, scd, marauderfan, Melaszka, PotterLove07, Fury, Pollux_Black, styphon and USNAGator91. I'm THE Clown of IBP, KEBA, DWW + BLD.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner