Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Harry and Ginny: Joint Character Analysis

Old March 15th, 2008, 6:44 am
Second Year

Re: Harry and Ginny: Joint Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGurl08
Then, I believe there's a slight Oedipal complex going on, though many would disagree. Ginny's long red hair reminded Harry a bit of Lily's long red hair (somewhere in the series when Harry's looking at a picture of Lily, I think it says something about her favoring Ginny a bit).
I'm one of the people who disagree. They both have red hair I guess, but Lilys' is darker, wheras Ginnys' is very bright. Apart from that they aren't likely to look any more alike then any two people with similarly colored hair. I don't think we really see enough of Lily to tell how similar their personalities are.

3. Starting in Harry's fifth year, Harry and Ginny start dating other people. Do you think they helped their own relationship form by dating other people? Did they both harbor feelings towards each other during this time?

I don't know if they harboured feelings for each other, but I think that it did help their relationship. OotP is where Ginny stops being so awkward around Harry, and he starts seeing who she really is. By dating other people some of the weird feelings between them that had been caused by Ginnys' crush on Harry disapated, and they got to be friends.

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2008, 1:41 pm
Third Year

I think he REALLY started noticing her in HBP, when she was kissing Dean.

I wish i could be in the DA.
Proud supporter of Dobby, Enemy of Bellatrix

~92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.~
Old March 15th, 2008, 6:45 pm
Second Year

Originnaly posted by EmmyRocks
Quote:
I think he REALLY started noticing her in HBP, when she was kissing Dean.
That is when he realized how he felt about her, but there were alot of clues before that, like the flowery smell from the amorentia that show that his subconcious knew what was going on far before the rest of him did.

Old March 15th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epona View Post
That is when he realized how he felt about her, but there were alot of clues before that, like the flowery smell from the amorentia that show that his subconcious knew what was going on far before the rest of him did.
I loved that moment! Also he noticed slightly that he was sad the moment Ginny went back to 'her own life' in Hogwarts, while they spent all time together at the Borrows before.

It seems he started to love her months before he realized this himself the moment Ron became so furious about Dean kissing her. JK made this very realistic I think.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old March 15th, 2008, 7:02 pm
Third Year

1. Prior to Harry rescuing Ginny from the Chamber of Secrets, how do you think Harry and Ginny viewed each other?
I think Harry viewed Ginny as his friend's younger sister. He cared about her in a way, because he really liked the Weasley's, but he wasn't that close with her yet. I don't think it was until later in the series that he really viewed the Weasley's as almost his family, so at that point it was more that Ron was his best friend and the Weasley's were all very kind and caring toward him, so obviously he would want to save their daughter (though, had it been someone he didn't even know, he'd probably have saved them too). I think Ginny viewed Harry as somewhat of a hero. We see her standing up for him against Draco in Fluorish and Blotts at the beginning of COS, and she was obviously very fond of him.

2. What was the relationship between Harry and Ginny like between the incident in the Chamber of Secrets and the time they started dating other people during Harry's fifth year?
I think they began to grow closer, and since Harry was practically like a part of the Weasley family, Ginny was almost like a sister (that sounds kind of weird to say, though). I think Harry viewed her the same way I described in the last question, except probably grew to care for her more as he began to spend more time with her. Ginny finally got over her crush, or whatever it was, on Harry, and was able to have a normal friendship with him.

3. Starting in Harry's fifth year, Harry and Ginny start dating other people. Do you think they helped their own relationship form by dating other people? Did they both harbor feelings towards each other during this time?
I don't think Harry had feelings for Ginny at this time, but I think Ginny may have had them for Harry. All we see during the fourth and fifth year is Harry liking Cho, so I really don't think he viewed Ginny as more than a friend. However, I don't think Ginny ever really gave up on her feelings for Harry. She went out with other people, but I think Harry was probably always in the back of her mind.

4. How did their relationship evolve from the time they started dating each other in Harry's sixth year until the end of the Battle of Hogwarts?
Perhaps the quote, "Distance makes the heart grow fonder" would apply. I don't really know, but maybe being apart from eachother for so long, yet still feeling the same way when they saw eachother again, made them realize how much they really loved eachother.

7. What kind of parents do you think Harry and Ginny would be?
I think they would be fantastic parents. They're both kind, brave people with very strong morals, and I think their children would (hopefully) grow up to be that way too. I can imagine them being similar to how Lily and James were as parents - extremely loving and caring and willing to do anything for their children.

Signature by ~under-blue-skies on DA
Old March 18th, 2008, 12:08 pm
Lycanthrope

1. Prior to Harry rescuing Ginny from the Chamber of Secrets, how do you think Harry and Ginny viewed each other?

Harry viewed her as Ron's little sister and Ginny viewed him as Ron's best friend, who she had a little crush on.

2. What was the relationship between Harry and Ginny like between the incident in the Chamber of Secrets and the time they started dating other people during Harry's fifth year?

I don't really recall them detailing this in the books. Apparently they started to like each other more and then it blossomed into the beginnings of love.

I would imagine they concentrated on the people they were dating. I guess it would have helped them learn about relationships. Ginny would end up with the most experience.

4. How did their relationship evolve from the time they started dating each other in Harry's sixth year until the end of the Battle of Hogwarts?

They broke up. I would rather call it devolving myself. . But by DH, they seemed to realize that it was temporary and they'd get together if they survived the war.

5. What qualities do Harry and Ginny have that brought them together? How does their relationship work?

Ginny had red hair. Harry was a hero. Apart from that, I don't think the books indicated other reasons they may have initially been attracted to one another. How does it work when? When they are married? Well, much like any other married couple's marriage works I'd imagine. It seemed like a Lily and James type marriage more than a Arthur and Molly one - if one considers the parents. Harry and Ginny seemed to have spunk like Harry's parents. Of course, Molly and Aurthur were pretty settled in by the time we saw them, so...

6. We see in the epilogue that Harry and Ginny have married and have three children. How do you think their relationship evolved between the Battle of Hogwarts and the epilogue?

Well they started dating again. Ginny was playing pro sports and I suppose Harry attended the games. Perhaps they practiced together before her tryouts as Harry was so terribly talented in Quidditch and could give her tips. She could give him tips too though, since she was also talented, so together they'd probably evolve into pretty darn good players. I pity their kids if they weren't very good at flying and Quidditch - both parents would probably stand shaking their heads in wonder that they didn't produce the next three Viktor Krums.

Fun except when Harry had his deep, introspective, serious moments. But I would imagine those wouldn't last very long as his kids or wife would tease him out of them quick enough. Their first son would likely be a complete handful and have them running all over the place to keep up with him. But he would keep them laughing day and night. The middle child seemed a bit more timid and as if he whined quite a bit, that would be a bit of a bother, but I think his older brother would see him embracing the world of mischief soon enough, so eventually they'd really be in for it - likely when the kids were 13 and 12. The little girl seemed more of a delight, the first and only girl, they usually get all the attention in ways. But once she grew old enough, she'd begin to present her own headaches for the couple leaving them to wonder if three boys wouldn't have been easier after all. But I think overall they would be great parents to the kids.

Old March 20th, 2008, 7:41 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

1. Prior to Harry rescuing Ginny from the Chamber of Secrets, how do you think Harry and Ginny viewed each other? Ginny had a crush on Harry whether it was because he was a hero or for some other reason. Harry saw Ginny as Ron’s sister and that’s it.

2. What was the relationship between Harry and Ginny like between the incident in the Chamber of Secrets and the time they started dating other people during Harry's fifth year? I think Ginny might have been even shyer around Harry due to him having saved her. Not only was he a hero, he was her hero. Harry still saw Ginny as Ron’s sister, but they were closer. Fifth year they were on the verge of becoming friends.

3. Starting in Harry's fifth year, Harry and Ginny start dating other people. Do you think they helped their own relationship form by dating other people? Did they both harbor feelings towards each other during this time? Yes, definitely. Ginny was able to be herself around Harry. She could finally talk to him. No more elbows in the butter. Ginny still harbored feelings toward Harry. If Harry did toward Ginny he did not know it.

4. How did their relationship evolve from the time they started dating each other in Harry's sixth year until the end of the Battle of Hogwarts? In the beginning their relationship relied on snogging, cuddling, and just being together, but I think by the end of the battle they realized how deeply they cared for each other. They knew it wasn’t some silly school crush. They knew it wasn’t something that would pass. They knew this was what they wanted forever. I truly believe they knew this at such an early age.

5. What qualities do Harry and Ginny have that brought them together? How does their relationship work? Their relationship works in that Ginny is the only one who can truly understand Harry. He can’t put up a front with her since she can see right through it. They’ve both been possessed by Voldemort, though in different ways. What brought them together? Ginny’s the only one who can truly understand Harry and she’s the only one who can see right to the real Harry. He needs that. She’s got motherly qualities and he needs that. She sees him as Harry not as the hero or The-Boy-Who-Lived. She provides him a place to be himself. Harry sees Ginny as Ginny and not as a snogging partner or the youngest Weasley. She needs that.

6. We see in the epilogue that Harry and Ginny have married and have three children. How do you think their relationship evolved between the Battle of Hogwarts and the epilogue? They form a family. Instead of being boyfriend and girlfriend they become husband and wife to father and mother. I think at ages 16 and 17 they already had a deep understanding of each other and as they grew their understanding only got deeper. Ginny lived her life at Hogwarts always worrying about Harry and his mission. Ginny is a professional Quidditch player right after Hogwarts and this gives Harry the chance to worry about her. It just teaches them to understand each other deeper.

7. What kind of parents do you think Harry and Ginny would be? They’ll be great parents. I think Ginny will be a lot liker her mother. Harry will be loving (I’m not implying Ginny won’t be. She will be.) and make sure his kids know he cares. I think they’ll both spoil their kids and make sure no one has hand-me-downs or second hand things. They’ll get new robes, new books, new everything! No one will live in the cupboard under the stairs. When I say spoil I don’t mean like Dudley spoil, but more like make sure they get new things instead of used things and always have, never want, if you know what I mean. It won't be "I want 37 presents instead of 36." It will be "I have a used quill with the feather falling apart, can I have a new one?"

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.

Last edited by leah49; March 20th, 2008 at 7:44 pm.
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:51 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
I suspect that Harry had some subconscious feelings toward her fairly early on though he very likely didn't even realise it. The way Ginny has been seen by him through the books has always been described in positive terms even when he had eyes for others (meaning Cho). Ginny, on the other hand, said herself that she never gave up on him but after some good advice from Hermione made the decision to stop waiting around and get on with her own life. In doing so she was able to see Harry as a friend and was able to more naturally interact with him, something Harry himself noticed in OOTP. This was also the book where it became obvious that Ginny had his measure and was able to match him.

It was in OOTP, particularly the 'Lucky You' and the library chocolate scenes that I personally saw the potential for them to get together as a couple though I wasn't at all sure at the time if Jo was going to head that way.
Yeah, I definitely agree. I think starting in the 5th book you can see some moments between them. Someone else pointed out that now that Harry had experience dating someone, he saw characteristics that he didn't want in a girlfriend(Cho). They became pretty close in that book and the "Lucky You" scene that you mentioned just shows that Ginny is one of the only people that Harry shuts up for and listens to. That is shown again later before they go to the Departament of Mysteries. She tells Harry not to have a tone with her.
And IMO I think that Harry may have had feelings for Ginny ever since the "chocolate in the library" scene. He most likely didn't realize it then, but I think that's when it all started. Then when he starts having felings for her early on in the 6th book he still wants to believe it's just brotherly, prtective feelings. Not until he sees her snogging Dean does he really amit to himself that his feelings aren't brotherly and that he is really starting to fall for her.

Marauders' girl through and through.
Padfoot is my love

Last edited by Bella_Crucio_U; August 15th, 2009 at 11:55 pm.
Old August 16th, 2009, 1:27 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella_Crucio_U View Post
And IMO I think that Harry may have had feelings for Ginny ever since the "chocolate in the library" scene. He most likely didn't realize it then, but I think that's when it all started. Then when he starts having felings for her early on in the 6th book he still wants to believe it's just brotherly, prtective feelings. Not until he sees her snogging Dean does he really amit to himself that his feelings aren't brotherly and that he is really starting to fall for her.
I agree. Their emotions built up slowly as a couple, but even friends can have charged moments that seem packed with potential for love. The criticisms towards Ginny's having boyfriends are further evidence of this.

LUNA LOVEGOOD

unafraid to express her views

intelligent and artistically creative

comforting and understanding

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

How else could I admire her?
Old August 16th, 2009, 5:55 am
First Year

Ginny had a mad crush on Harry, and Harry viewed Ginny as simply his best friend's little sister / the slightly shy fangirl.

I think they were closer... more friendly. Harry probably respected Ginny much more as a person.

I think that Harry really appreciated Ginny when they started dating after experiencing a girlfriend as terrible as Cho Chang... Ginny was less of a mindless fangirl, having dated other boys. I doubt that Harry felt anything for Ginny before year six, but Ginny deffinitely felt something for Harry.

I think their relationship became stronger and more like real love rather than romantic impulse and snogging bliss.

5. What qualities do Harry and Ginny have that brought them together? How does their relationship work?

Well, they're both extremely brave and magically skilled... and they're both into Quidditch... hey, it's something to build on! I think that, since they're so alike, the understand each other very well.

6. We see in the epilogue that Harry and Ginny have married and have three children. How do you think their relationship evolved between the Battle of Hogwarts and the epilogue?

First off, Harry probably started letting Ginny actually make her own bloody decisions about her own stupid safety, so I'm guessing they started going out again... which developed their relationship further.

I think they'd be very good parents. They both seem like very responsible people.

Old August 16th, 2009, 10:30 pm
Fourth Year

I think that they share a lot of the same qualities. They are both brave, loyal, good at quidditch, tough, ect. I think Ginny was the total opposite of what Cho was. After dating Cho in 5th year, Harry realizes he dosn't like that type of personality. She was too weepy and Harry isn't quite confortable around that. Ginny is not as high mantanense. Plus in the 5th book you see a couple times that he can calm him down and/or talk back to him. Their personalities clash very well. I also think Ginny understands Harry really well and she really gets him. She is a confort to Harry.

Padfoot is my love

Old August 16th, 2009, 10:47 pm
Fourth Year

I think that Ginny had a crush on Harry probably based solely on reputation and Harry just viewed Ginny as Ron's sister.

I think Harry's view of Ginny didn't change; he viewed Ginny as Ron's sister and not much more. I think Ginny was very fond of Harry but maybe felt that she was not "cool enough" or something and never made a move. I think when she saw that Harry was probably never going to come around, she moved on as well.

I think it took Harry a while to realize it but when Ginny started to catch his eye, she REALLY caught it. He couldn't think of anyone else! I think it took Ginny snogging Dean (among others) in front of Harry to finally flip the switch.

I think it started out like a lot of relationships, hot and heavy, and I think it had enough "heat" to keep the attraction through the time that Harry was gone camping. I think the books plainly showed how much he missed Ginny and longed to see her again. I wish we could have seen Ginny longing for Harry as well though

The are both strong and supportive people and are both very loyal to each other, friends, and family. I think that despite Harry being away from Ginny most of DH, Ginny understood what Harry was doing and supported him whole-heartedly which I think is a testiment to how strong their relationship had become.

I can see their relationship as one of lots of laughing, love, and supportiveness in both directions from Harry and Ginny. After the seven year journey that Harry had just emerged from, I think Ginny was there to help Harry deal with the loads of emotions he probably had all stored up. I think that Ginny going and becoming a professional Quidditch player for a time is a testiment to Harry supporting Ginny in what she wants to do as well. I like how Ginny was not an automatic housewife like Fleur seemed to be.

Amazing parents. I wished I lived next door to the them so we could be bestfriends and our kids could hang out!

-JR

Just & Loyal

Last edited by JR637; August 16th, 2009 at 10:49 pm.
Old August 17th, 2009, 1:12 am
Second Year

I felt like Harry really fell for Ginny over the summer at the burrow. He mentions once that she and him would tease Ron after quidditch, they probably has several moments like this together where they clicked. He justified it as loving her in a sisterly way but it was really romantic way.

Old August 17th, 2009, 10:38 pm
First Year

Many people have touched on the idea that that after the final battle, Harry and Ginny became closer when they were finally able to be together again as well has being there for each other through-out the sad, funeral filled days that fallowed. I personally, agree. But, one has to wonder what kind of impact little Teddy Lupin had in there relationship? I'm thinking that it either helped the relationship because Ginny felt some responsibility to help raise him with Harry, or he could be a strain on the relationship because Harry would have to spend time taking care of him. Time that Harry would have spent with Ginny.

But maybe I'm completely wrong.

Last edited by AzkabanNate11; August 21st, 2009 at 10:27 pm.
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:19 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzkabanNate11 View Post

Many people have touched on the idea that that after the final battle, Harry and Ginny became closer when they were finally able to be together again as well has being there for each other through-out the sad, funeral filled days that fallowed. I personally, agree. But, one has to wonder what kind of impact little Teddy Lupin had in there relationship? I'm thinking that it either helped the relationship because Ginny felt some responsibility to help raise him with Harry, or he could be a strain on the relationship because Harry would have to spend time taking care of him. Time that Harry would have spent with Ginny.

But maybe I'm completely wrong.
I like where you are going with this. In the "funeral filled days" following the Battle, I completely agree that Harry and Ginny, being able to spend time together and comfort each other will no doubt become closer.

As for Teddy being a strain on their relationship, I don't think so becuase this does not seem to fit with Harry and Ginny's personalities. I'm sure there will be times, but overall and at the very least, this gives Harry and Ginny something to connect and bond over.

-JR

Just & Loyal
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:25 pm
First Year

Ginny had a crush on the "Boy Who Lived". Harry thought of Ginny has Ron's sister, but even then he sees her in a positive light based on the language (from Harry's perspective) used to describe her.

Ginny was still nervous around Harry at first but started to be a bit more of herself as time went by. She is still Ron's sister but again he sees her in a positive sometimes glowing light even then.

It helped Ginny relax and build a friendship with Harry. It helped Harry figure out what he didn't want. His relationship with Cho was really a crush. He didn't really know her and things were very awkward when the tried to connect.

Because the relationship was based on a strong friendship when they finally acknowledged their feelings it exploded and became quite serious as those sorts of relationships do. They both carried deep and abiding feelings for the other, they knew and understood one another. It wasn't a crush based on looks or false impressions. That's why Ginny accepts his decision to break up without a lot of fuss. She understood him and knew what he had to do even if she didn't like it.

They are both strong and loyal. Ginny has a sense of fun and helps him lighten up at times. She can cut through his **** when she needs to.

Old September 14th, 2009, 5:07 am
First Year

Prior to Harry rescuing Ginny from the Chamber of Secrets, how do you think Harry and Ginny viewed each other?
To Ginny he was THE Harry Potter then . She had a HUGE crush on him . To Harry , she was just Rons sister.

Third year, they were still a little awkward. Fourth and fifth, they both became friends and enjoyed each others company

Well, Harry didnt really see them together much. She saw him with Cho but decided to just be his friend (Loved the library scene)

They realised how much they mean to each other and how strong their feelings were. Until then, he was the one who always faced the danger , the one who went through trails but then Ginny went through stuff too. They didnt have an "equal" share of suffering but it's not like she didnt go through anything.

Great parents.lots of fun and a teensy bit of responsibilty. I think that's how James and Lily would have been to Harry.

Old September 14th, 2009, 6:29 am
Second Year

I think it was obvious Ginny had a crush on Harry. He, on the other hand, seemed to see her mostly as Ron's little sister - a friend at the most.

I think Ginny went from just having a crush on Harry to truly being in love with him. I can see her pining over him summer one year and Hermione giving her advice. As for Harry, I don't think a lot changed until he broke up with Cho. Ginny was still Ron's younger sister - a friend to him, nothing more.

Ginny's true love has always been Harry. I don't think Michael or Dean or anyone else could have changed that - they were just flings, to prove to herself that she could date other guys and not have to be totally down on herself because Harry Potter sees her as a sister more than anything. And I think it's around this time that Harry starts developing feelings for Ginny as well, particularly around the middle parts of HBP.

In truth? Not a whole lot. HBP was where they confirmed their love for each other to each other. I think we all knew (other than obsessive Harry/Hermione shippers) that unless one of them died or Harry shacked up with a Veela, by the end of the book they would get together.

There's an essay on this somewhere - I don't remember where I read it. It said a large part of their attraction comes down to the fact that they both share a similar sense of humour and enjoy a good laugh. There are other factors, but I don't remember them all.

It evolved like any other couple who get married and have children do. I'm sure they have their spats - after all, Ginny is hardly a passive character. In fact, I can see her being somewhat of the boss of the family - wearing the pants, if you will.

I always imagine Ginny as the strict one and Harry as the relaxed one. Like if James "accidentally" turned Albus' hair pink, I can see Ginny yelling at James and Harry saying "Listen to your mother, don't dye your brother's hair pink," in a resigned tone.

"We Slytherins are brave, but not stupid." - Phineas Nigellus Black.

"Dreams like this must die." - RIP Andy Wood.

Last edited by HeadLikeAHole; February 24th, 2010 at 12:06 pm.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 6:17 am
Second Year

[quote=Epona;4956579]I'm one of the people who disagree. They both have red hair I guess, but Lilys' is darker, wheras Ginnys' is very bright. Apart from that they aren't likely to look any more alike then any two people with similarly colored hair. I don't think we really see enough of Lily to tell how similar their personalities are.

I think it's even worse than just a slight Oedipal complex. We see throughout the flashbacks that Lily acts very much like Ginny does "You won't let me?" and is described as being a very bright witch but also "cheeky and vivacious." I think the same words can be used to describe Ginny. It is understandable, though. Harry lived his life without knowing his parents. He tried to live up to his father's legacy, but he eventually fell in love with someone very much like his mother. He was drawn to Ginny subconciously because she reminded him of his mother (what little he knew of her, anyway.)

"The problem isn't that there are too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't distributed correctly."
-Mark Twain

"There, did you think to kill me? There's no flesh and blood in this cloak to kill. There's only an idea. Ideas are bulletproof. Farewell."
-V

FIGHT ON!

Old November 5th, 2009, 10:34 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
I think it's even worse than just a slight Oedipal complex. We see throughout the flashbacks that Lily acts very much like Ginny does "You won't let me?" and is described as being a very bright witch but also "cheeky and vivacious." I think the same words can be used to describe Ginny. It is understandable, though. Harry lived his life without knowing his parents. He tried to live up to his father's legacy, but he eventually fell in love with someone very much like his mother. He was drawn to Ginny subconciously because she reminded him of his mother (what little he knew of her, anyway.)
Hm. I never really thought that Ginny and Lily had much of a resemblance before. But reading what you said made me change my mind. You made a good point and I think everything you said is really true.

Padfoot is my love

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies