Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Harry and Ginny: Joint Character Analysis

Old January 14th, 2008, 2:37 am
Fourth Year

Re: Harry and Ginny: Joint Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_luna_x View Post
i guess that could be right...
i just wish there was more courting and flirting...ya know??
harry should of had more fun with it
not saying he did...
i love what they have!!!
but do you know what im saying??

Remember how Harry and Ginny would go to the lake to...do stuff that couples do? That was kinda like courting. It was really off-screen. Yea, but I wish we could have seen Harry and Ginny flirt. That would be...interesting.

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2008, 2:47 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDystopia View Post
Remember how Harry and Ginny would go to the lake to...do stuff that couples do? That was kinda like courting. It was really off-screen. Yea, but I wish we could have seen Harry and Ginny flirt. That would be...interesting.
but would'nt it have been better to do some before and and after they got together??? like you always flirt with someone beofre you get with them??

lol...i dunno..,

AND DREAM MY DREAMS

.:.Call Me Luna.:.

Member Of The Luna Loyalists
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:45 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDystopia View Post
That would have been fun to read.. I too wish that more of that kind of thing was included, I think they are brilliant together

[center]SEEING OTHER PEOPLE
~Rose and Scorpius' story about love~
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:17 pm
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvsnape17 View Post
That would have been fun to read.. I too wish that more of that kind of thing was included, I think they are brilliant together
Agreed, though detail in that sort of area is something Jo seems to avoid. I kind of like it the way she's written it, general outline and let the reader imagine the details.

Old January 15th, 2008, 12:27 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
Agreed, though detail in that sort of area is something Jo seems to avoid. I kind of like it the way she's written it, general outline and let the reader imagine the details.
Yeah, I think this moments do happened, just off-page and with lack of details, just subtle mentions. You couldn't read it directly, but if you looked close enough you could've totally see them. I would have love to read it too, but I understand the nature of the books and maybe it would've been too distracting from the main storylines. So, I can't complain really.
Their relationship was my favorite since book 2.

Sig made by the awesome cybobbie

You wish we were in your House

The ASP at Hogwarts, Hogwarts Staff Meeting and The Prince of Hogwarts (An ASP at Hogwarts prequel): All by Inkwolf

Old January 15th, 2008, 4:05 am
First Year

so what do you think how their wedding was??

i hope it was romantic...lol

any ideas??

AND DREAM MY DREAMS

Old January 15th, 2008, 4:40 am
Sixth Year

Quote:

it seemed like harry and ginny's thing came really suddenly...like through the whole series it seemed he never thought of her that way or even never took much notice of her....but its like he just started noticing her a few chapters before thier kiss...it seemed rather sudden to me..
I don't think it's really sudden. To me it's the opposite - it takes them forever to get together! It's a very gradual thing, and it's mostly unconscious. It begins with him seeing her in a different light, learning new things about her, all the way back in OotP:

'Yeah, size is no guarantee of power,' said George. 'Look at Ginny.'
'What d'you mean?' said Harry.
'You've never been on the receiving end of one of her Bat-Bogey Hexes, have you?'
OotP, chapter 6

'We've got another Seeker!'
'Who?' said Harry quickly.
'Ginny Weasley,' said Katie.
Harry gaped at her.
OotP, chapter 21

Then a moment of connection and understanding:

'I didn't want anyone to talk to me,' said Harry, who was feeling more and more nettled.
'Well, that was a bit stupid of you,' said Ginny angrily, 'seeing as you don't know anyone but me who's been possessed by You-Know-Who, and I can tell you how it feels.'
Harry remained quite still as the impact of these words hit him. Then he turned on the spot to face her.
'I forgot,' he said.
'Lucky you,' said Ginny coolly.
'I'm sorry,' said Harry, and he meant it.
OotP, chapter 23

And then, seven months before he sees Ginny kissing Dean and realises how he feels about her, our first hint that he fancies her:

'It's easter eggs from mum,' said Ginny. 'There's one for you ... there you go.'
She handed him a handsome chocolate egg decorated with small, iced snitches and, according to the packaging, containing a bag of Fizzing Whizzbees. Harry looked at it for a moment, then, to his horror, felt a lump rise in his throat.
'Are you OK, Harry?' asked Ginny quietly.
'Yeah, I'm fine,' said Harry gruffly. The lump in his throat was painful. He did not understand why an easter egg should have made him feel like this.
(...)
'The thing about growing up with Fred and George,' said Ginny thoughtfully, 'is that you sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.'
Harry looked at her. Perhaps it was the effect of the chocolate - Lupin had always advised eating some after encounters with Dementors - or simply because he had finally spoken aloud the wish that had been burning inside him for a week, but he felt a bit more hopeful.
OotP, chapter 29

The bit with the "lump in the throat" is perhaps a little ambiguous - Harry might merely be touched by Mrs Weasley sending him an easter egg - but it could also be Ginny-induced. But at the end of the scene, the implication is very strong - Harry looks up at Ginny, and feels more hopeful about his situation. He explains it away by putting it down to the chocolate, but looking back on it, we can see what's really going on here. This is a full year before they kiss.

They then spend the summer at The Burrow having fun, playing Quidditch, joking with each other ('I'd be careful, there's a lot of Phlegm around' / 'I'll be careful not to slip in it'). By the time they had back to Hogwarts in September, Harry's in love - he just doesn't realise it.

He tapped Ginny in the shoulder.
'Fancy trying to find a compartment?'
'I can't, Harry, I said I'd meet Dean,' said Ginny brightly. 'See you later.'
'Right,' said Harry. He felt a strange twinge of annoyance as she walked away, her long red hair dancing behind her. He had become so used to her presence over the summer that he had almost forgotten that Ginny did not hang around with him, Ron and Hermione at school.
HBP, chapter 7

Given how tight-knit the trio usually are, that's quite a thing to forget. Then, the next day in Slughorn's dungeon, he smells something "flowery" in Amortentia - a potion which smells of whatever attracts a person most. Later, he smells the same scent on Ginny - it's her perfume. Again, all this is early in September - two months before he sees Dean and Ginny kissing, and realises that he fancies her.

So really, it's a very drawn-out thing that takes place over 18 months - a slow realisation that Ginny is more than just "Ron's little sister", the development of feelings that Harry isn't even aware of, and finally, his realisation that he really doesn't like seeing Ginny with another man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
I think she balanced that quite well. There's enough there, in hints and suggestions, so that older readers might get a sense of what was going on (there are certain sentences you can read quite a lot into if you wish!), but nothing too gritty or detailed. That's why it works - a younger reader sees the romance as it is written on the page, but an older reader can pick up the hints and see that there's more to it than that.

Last edited by FaceofBoe; January 15th, 2008 at 4:44 am.
Old January 15th, 2008, 6:26 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
1. Prior to Harry rescuing Ginny from the Chamber of Secrets, how do you think Harry and Ginny viewed each other?

2. What was the relationship between Harry and Ginny like between the incident in the Chamber of Secrets and the time they started dating other people during Harry's fifth year?

3. Starting in Harry's fifth year, Harry and Ginny start dating other people. Do you think they helped their own relationship form by dating other people? Did they both harbor feelings towards each other during this time?

4. How did their relationship evolve from the time they started dating each other in Harry's sixth year until the end of the Battle of Hogwarts?

5. What qualities do Harry and Ginny have that brought them together? How does their relationship work?

6. We see in the epilogue that Harry and Ginny have married and have three children. How do you think their relationship evolved between the Battle of Hogwarts and the epilogue?

7. What kind of parents do you think Harry and Ginny would be?
1. Harry simply thought of Ginny as his friend's little sister. Ginny thought of Harry as her big brother's cool friend who she had a crush on. He was someone to be admired from a distance.

2. Immediately after the incident in COS, their relationship was pretty awkward. I think Ginny had a tough time with it...the guy of her dreams had saved her life. I'm sure she found it flattering on some level, but embarassing at the same time because she was ashamed to be in that situation. I'm sure Harry felt Ginny's awkwardness around him, which made him feel awkward around her. Plus, 'diary-Riddle' told him how much Ginny wrote about him and how much she liked him, which added to the awkwardness of it all. I think by the time of GOF, they both had calmed down a bit and put the event behind them. Ginny still liked Harry very much, as she shows in being quite upset about agreeing to be Neville's date when she could have had the chance to go with Harry. Also, even with Ron suggested Ginny could go with Harry, Harry didn't seem to mind due to his desperation to find a date. Then, in OOTP, they had grown quite comfortable with each other. I think it is here when Harry stops seeing her as simply Ron's little sister, and for her own person instead.

3. Dating other people did help their relationship. It gave them the opportunity to mature. Plus, you have to be with the wrong person before you can appreciate the right one. Thus, Harry's failed relationship with Cho and Ginny's failed relationships just made them realize just how special they were to each other when they did get together.

4. Well, their relationship got stronger. When they started dating, Harry came to terms with and accepted his feelings for her, and Ginny had finally, after so many years, got to be with her 'prince-charming.' However their official relationship was short-lived. And in DH with the uncertainty of what was going on and what would become of them, their longing to be together increased. Their time apart made them realized how much they loved each other.

5. Harry and Ginny are both strong people. And Harry needs a strong woman in his life. I mainly think this is why Harry was never attracted to Hermione. Don't get me wrong, Hermione is a very brave girl, but she was a bit emotional at times. Harry was uncomfortable with emotional girls (Cho). Also, Harry likes people with good senses of humor. Harry and Ginny both had somewhat dark and witty senses of humor, making them a good match for each other. Then, I believe there's a slight Oedipal complex going on, though many would disagree. Ginny's long red hair reminded Harry a bit of Lily's long red hair (somewhere in the series when Harry's looking at a picture of Lily, I think it says something about her favoring Ginny a bit).
Plus, they both like Quidditch. Their relationship works because they make each other happy. They enjoy each others company. They are a perfect match.

6. I think that between the battle at Hogwarts and the epilogue, their relationship evolved in a sense that they learned how to truly be there for one another. I do not think things were rocky between them. As shown in HBP, Ginny showed that she could be there for Harry during tough times when Dumbledore died. After Dumbledore's death, Harry was in such a state of shock and nobody bu Ginny could get through to him. I would imagine the role switched after the battle at Hogwarts. Ginny no doubt had a really tough time getting over Fred's death, and I know Harry was right by her side helping her get through it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if after that immediately after the battle (after Harry spoke to Hermione and Ron of course), Harry and Ginny did not want to leave each other's sight. I think their relationship got incredibly intense and then eased up after all the grieving died down a bit. Then after being able to be relax and just hang out and have fun, they got married and started having kids.

7. Well, since Harry has always wanted a family, I think he would be the best father a kid could ask for. I picture him as being very fun, loving to play around with the kids and give them the childhood he never had. I see him being a lot like Sirius and James. Ginny would be the one to discipline the kids and keep them (and Harry) in check. Though Ginny would be the stricter parent, she would be fun too. I think she was like a mixture of Tonks and Molly.

Old January 15th, 2008, 7:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGurl08 View Post
Then, I believe there's a slight Oedipal complex going on, though many would disagree. Ginny's long red hair reminded Harry a bit of Lily's long red hair (somewhere in the series when Harry's looking at a picture of Lily, I think it says something about her favoring Ginny a bit).
Not really, since Harry never knew his mother and didn't even know what she looked like till he was eleven years old- and he'd met Ginny before that. It might be Oedipal if she was like Aunt Petunia -*shudders*- but then he wouldn't go out with Ginny, he'd be with Pansy Parkinson or someone like that. Plus, Jo at least tries to make a distinction between Ginny and Lily's appearances by turning Lily's hair shoulder-length and dark red, while Ginny's is long (we're not told exactly how long, but I'm guessing it must have been well past her shoulders if Harry noticed the length as often as he did) and blazing red like the rest of her family. I do agree that Ginny may have had some character traits that reminded readers of Lily (stubborn, opinionated, very firmly against the Dark side), but OotP and then HBP established her as more than an echo of Lily in Harry's eyes and ours. I understand why people might say she's like her though, since we see real-life Lily in action for the first time in the same book in which we find out that Ginny isn't a little wuss in love with Harry any more (well, she was always in love with Harry, but she just stopped being a wuss about it). Besides, if Harry is like James, it makes sense for him to be attracted to girls who might be a bit like Lily, even if he never did know his mum.

Old January 15th, 2008, 8:42 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGurl08 View Post
Ginny's long red hair reminded Harry a bit of Lily's long red hair (somewhere in the series when Harry's looking at a picture of Lily, I think it says something about her favoring Ginny a bit).
I don't remember that. Do you know which book it was? I can't actually remember anyone directly comparing Ginny to Lily.

Old January 15th, 2008, 9:51 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygurl View Post

1. Prior to Harry rescuing Ginny from the Chamber of Secrets, how do you think Harry and Ginny viewed each other?

well we know from jo that ginny viewed harry as kind of a rockstar, the friend of older brother. harry on the other hand, viewed ginny as best friend's little sister. however, there is no real indication on his thoughts about her having a crush on him except for embarrassment

4. How did their relationship evolve from the time they started dating each other in Harry's sixth year until the end of the Battle of Hogwarts?
I think harry really realized how much she meant to him, and how strong she was. For instance, when he realized that she could marry someone else, it brought doubt to his mind as to what the relationship meant to them and the fact that he could lose her. another important moment is when the 'last' thing he sees is ginny running toward him and kissing him, and looking into his eyes. it was very poetic and strong romantic imagery, but it also really showed how much she meant to him.
6. We see in the epilogue that Harry and Ginny have married and have three children. How do you think their relationship evolved between the Battle of Hogwarts and the epilogue?
i think it would have been hard and rocky, especially in the beginning. they might have gone out with other people, but eventually drifted back to each other.
For the most part, i agree with this! except for number 6! All through DH Harry is missing her, and thinking about her and "stairing at Ginny's dot" hoping she would know he was thinking about her...Ginny liked him from COS, she dated other people, but i think Harry was always tugging at the back of her mind. She was a big part of the rebellion towards Snape, trying to steal the sword and all. I think that once Voldy was out of the way than Harry wouldn't have to worry about protecting her, by not being around her. I think they would be together as soon as they could.
I totally agree with 1 and 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceofBoe View Post
I don't think it's really sudden. To me it's the opposite - it takes them forever to get together! It's a very gradual thing, and it's mostly unconscious. It begins with him seeing her in a different light, learning new things about her, all the way back in OotP:

'Yeah, size is no guarantee of power,' said George. 'Look at Ginny.'
'What d'you mean?' said Harry.
'You've never been on the receiving end of one of her Bat-Bogey Hexes, have you?'
OotP, chapter 6

'We've got another Seeker!'
'Who?' said Harry quickly.
'Ginny Weasley,' said Katie.
Harry gaped at her.
OotP, chapter 21

Then a moment of connection and understanding:

'I didn't want anyone to talk to me,' said Harry, who was feeling more and more nettled.
'Well, that was a bit stupid of you,' said Ginny angrily, 'seeing as you don't know anyone but me who's been possessed by You-Know-Who, and I can tell you how it feels.'
Harry remained quite still as the impact of these words hit him. Then he turned on the spot to face her.
'I forgot,' he said.
'Lucky you,' said Ginny coolly.
'I'm sorry,' said Harry, and he meant it.
OotP, chapter 23

And then, seven months before he sees Ginny kissing Dean and realises how he feels about her, our first hint that he fancies her:

'It's easter eggs from mum,' said Ginny. 'There's one for you ... there you go.'
She handed him a handsome chocolate egg decorated with small, iced snitches and, according to the packaging, containing a bag of Fizzing Whizzbees. Harry looked at it for a moment, then, to his horror, felt a lump rise in his throat.
'Are you OK, Harry?' asked Ginny quietly.
'Yeah, I'm fine,' said Harry gruffly. The lump in his throat was painful. He did not understand why an easter egg should have made him feel like this.
(...)
'The thing about growing up with Fred and George,' said Ginny thoughtfully, 'is that you sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.'
Harry looked at her. Perhaps it was the effect of the chocolate - Lupin had always advised eating some after encounters with Dementors - or simply because he had finally spoken aloud the wish that had been burning inside him for a week, but he felt a bit more hopeful.
OotP, chapter 29

The bit with the "lump in the throat" is perhaps a little ambiguous - Harry might merely be touched by Mrs Weasley sending him an easter egg - but it could also be Ginny-induced. But at the end of the scene, the implication is very strong - Harry looks up at Ginny, and feels more hopeful about his situation. He explains it away by putting it down to the chocolate, but looking back on it, we can see what's really going on here. This is a full year before they kiss.

They then spend the summer at The Burrow having fun, playing Quidditch, joking with each other ('I'd be careful, there's a lot of Phlegm around' / 'I'll be careful not to slip in it'). By the time they had back to Hogwarts in September, Harry's in love - he just doesn't realise it.

'Right,' said Harry. He felt a strange twinge of annoyance as she walked away, her long red hair dancing behind her. He had become so used to her presence over the summer that he had almost forgotten that Ginny did not hang around with him, Ron and Hermione at school.
HBP, chapter 7

Given how tight-knit the trio usually are, that's quite a thing to forget. Then, the next day in Slughorn's dungeon, he smells something "flowery" in Amortentia - a potion which smells of whatever attracts a person most. Later, he smells the same scent on Ginny - it's her perfume. Again, all this is early in September - two months before he sees Dean and Ginny kissing, and realises that he fancies her.

So really, it's a very drawn-out thing that takes place over 18 months - a slow realisation that Ginny is more than just "Ron's little sister", the development of feelings that Harry isn't even aware of, and finally, his realisation that he really doesn't like seeing Ginny with another man.
Wow, u said it all! haha it was a very drawn out thing,( obviously not as much as Ron and Hermione) i wanted the Harry/Ginny thing to work clear back in OOTP!!! I was sooo excited when they finally kissed! HBP felt soooo long until that! I think Jo did a lovely job!

"'She was there-expecting me, naturally...she hopped down from the high stool at the counter as soon as i walked in and came directly toward me...and the emotions that were emanating from her were like nothing i'd ever felt before. 'you've kept me waiting a long time,' she said.
I hadn't realized Alice had come to stand behind me again. "And you ducked your head, like a good southern gentleman, and said, 'i'm sorry, ma'am.'" Alice laughed at the memory.
Jasper smiled down at her. "You held out your hand, and i took it without stopping to make sense of what i was doing. For the first time in almost a century, i felt hope." (page 301 Eclipse Stephenie Meyer

*Image from twilightersanonymous !!*
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:35 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermi0nechik92 View Post
All through DH Harry is missing her, and thinking about her and "stairing at Ginny's dot" hoping she would know he was thinking about her...I think that once Voldy was out of the way than Harry wouldn't have to worry about protecting her, by not being around her. I think they would be together as soon as they could.
Yeah, I agree.

I just can't imagine Harry or Ginny dating other people after the Battle at Hogwarts. I just can't. IMO, it was pretty clear in DH that this two were in love with each other. Their feelings for one and other ran pretty deeply. Once the menace was over, I see then getting together again and dealing with their relationship. I do think they took it easy (we don't know if Ginny went to her 7th year at Hogwarts, I think she did), and then venture into their respective careers, but all this definitely together as a couple, then got married and then come the children.

No more unnecessary drama and heart troubles for them.
Why not be together if it was all they wanted?

The ASP at Hogwarts, Hogwarts Staff Meeting and The Prince of Hogwarts (An ASP at Hogwarts prequel): All by Inkwolf

Old January 16th, 2008, 1:58 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Yay! My favorite couple!!

I think it was quite obvious that Ginny had a sort of fan girl crush on Harry throughout the whole of CoS. But, she also had a more insider look into his life since her brother was his best friend. I think she knew and observed the type of person he was as well as just crushing on him. I think Harry simply saw her as his best friend's little sister and therefore he himself had more of a big brother attitude toward her himself. Something that carries on for years and he struggles with when he realizes he loves her.

2. What was the relationship between Harry and Ginny like between the incident in the Chamber of Secrets and the time they started dating other people during Harry's fifth year?
Throughout this time Harry had become very much a part of the Weasley family. They took him in and they were the first loving family he had ever known, so I think he simply saw Ginny much like a little sister. However, the tables subtly start to turn in OoTP when we see the interaction between the two. They are both dating other people yet they get on in a very secure way with each other. Ginny isn't very shy around him anymore in fact she is the only one that is able to talk to him sternly when he is in his "capslock" mode. She seems to understand him better than anyone else and it seems that Harry is already comfortable with her little temper towards him, because it is also balanced with the intuitive understanding that we see in the library scene together.

3. Starting in Harry's fifth year, Harry and Ginny start dating other people. Do you think they helped their own relationship form by dating other people? Did they both harbor feelings towards each other during this time?
I love that they dated other people. It gave them a chance to live and learn in love so that they knew what they wanted out of a relationship. I think once Harry realized he was having feelings for Ginny it was on of those things where he may have looked back and realized he always sort of loved her. I think it is very interesting to go back and analyze the way Harry describes Ginny and the way Harry describes Hermione, even from book 1 they are very different in his eyes.

One thing I always liked about this couple is they were both really in tune with each other. They could read each other without even speaking words. For Ginny to allow Harry to break up with her and not push the issue, to give him the space he needed to complete his task was truly amazing. It should such confidence and strength and I don't think Harry would have found that in any other girl. I think that really strengthened his love for her and even though they were broken up we were given the scene in her bedroom and the countless times that Harry's mind would wander back to her throughout the book to show that they still deeply cared and loved each other.

5. What qualities do Harry and Ginny have that brought them together? How does their relationship work?
I think I already answered this in that they both have a very subtle intuitive way of reading each other. I would also add that they really seem to balance each other out too. I think they have a really good understanding between the two of them that allows them to know when the other needs some space. Harry at Dumbledore's funeral and Ginny after the kiss in DH. Harry loves that she isn't an emotional hosepipe like Cho was. They have Quddicth in common. They have lost people dear to them in the war and now how blessed they are to have survived and have each other.

I think they probably really helped each other grieve over their losses. I think that would have brought them even closer and would have given a new depth to their love and relationship with one another. I can speak from experience that a relationship really changes when you have children and as a couple you start to redifine yourselves together as parents. So imagine that the birth of their children changed their relationship as well.

I think Harry would have been one of the best dads ever. He never had a father although he had many father figures in his life. I think he would have taken a little from both Sirius and Dumbledore. Sirius in his recklessness fun and Dumbledore in his loving wisdom. I think Harry's children would have been his greatest accomplishment in his eyes and he would have loved them more than he ever had growing up. I also think that Ginny would have been a lot less overbearing than her mother, but also surprising herself how often she sounded like her (funny how that happens ). I think she would have this "mom look" that meant business and the kids knew not to mess with her.

Old January 16th, 2008, 4:14 am
First Year

okay so everyone is proving me wrong...lol

but i'm just saying...it was sudden for me...

and i love harry with ginny...

but thank you everyone for actually saying something about my posts...no one ever does...

AND DREAM MY DREAMS

Old January 16th, 2008, 4:19 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
I also think that Ginny would have been a lot less overbearing than her mother, but also surprising herself how often she sounded like her (funny how that happens ). I think she would have this "mom look" that meant business and the kids knew not to mess with her.

Like the one she gives James in the Epilogue.
That sure tranquilized him!

Old January 16th, 2008, 5:27 am
Third Year

Quote:
I don't remember that. Do you know which book it was? I can't actually remember anyone directly comparing Ginny to Lily.
Sorry, I can't remember which book it was in...It just seems like I remember reading it somewhere when Harry's looking at a picture of Lily. I could be mistaken...

Old January 16th, 2008, 5:05 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
but i'm just saying...it was sudden for me...

and i love harry with ginny...
I have heard this a lot from other readers and you are not the first one to think so . I read this editorial on Mugglenet.com and I absolutely loved it because it analyizes their relationship from book 1. Believe it or not the careful reader could find hints from the first book . You may enjoy it and then when you reread the books you may be able to spot it earlier. This isn't the spot to fully discuss the editorial, but it is definately worth the read. Here is the link What's Life Without a Little Romance?

Old January 17th, 2008, 6:12 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:

HBP, chapter 7

I was going to mention those two examples! Harry begins to see the strong and quirky side of Ginny in OotP but his feelings for her become more explicit to us (if not to him) from early in HBP. I agree totally with your analysis.

I do remember Harry comparing Ginny and Lily but I think it was in terms of their popularity. Both of them were widely liked and never short of potential boyfriends. And I think that Ginny, like Lily, was a caring and compassionate person. Lily made time for people who weren't generally accepted (Snape, Lupin) and so did Ginny (Luna, Neville). So I think Harry was attracted to someone rather like his mother but not just in looks - I think that was the least part of it.

I found it telling that at the station when little Albus needed reassurance it was his father he talked to, not his Mum. That makes me suppose the children found Harry easy to confide in, perhaps a bit like the Weasleys with Arthur. Although Ginny doesn't react like Molly would have done, pretending not to hear and leaving it up to Harry to sort out Albus. Molly would have wanted to know what was going on and deal with it herself - she usually did.

I also think that Harry would not have been the sort of father who spoiled his kids - he had had the example of the Dursleys and Dudley in front of him all his young life and he knew the awful results of spoiling! But I think he'd make sure they had what they needed and what it was reasonable for them to have. (The boys each have an owl when they start Hogwarts). He is obviously protective of them and they've not been brought up to see Dad as a hero - Albus is surprised when people stare at Harry. Although it's Ginny's look that brings young James to heel, Harry is also quite firm over not letting the boys share a bedroom. I suspect that like many parents, the mother, being home more of the time, does the day to day disciplining and Dad is brought in for the big events.

As for the period between the death of LV and the epilogue, I don't see Harry and Ginny being a couple who live in each other's pockets. They have got used to being apart so although they'd want to spend lots of time together, I don't think it'd worry them so much if they weren't. Both of them seem like the kind of person who'd give their partner space to be who they wanted to be. And would be totally proud and supportive of each other. Ginny would let Harry go off Auroring, with all its attendant dangers and worry about him, but without letting him know she did, and Harry would let her go playing Quidditch with its dangers and worry, but let her go all the same. Sounds like a good marriage to me!

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old January 23rd, 2008, 4:57 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
This isn't the spot to fully discuss the editorial, but it is definately worth the read. Here is the link What's Life Without a Little Romance?
Thanks for that link. It definitely was worth the read. I'd never noticed all the Harry/Ginny clues in the previous books before!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it was easy to tell that Ginny had a crush on Harry by the way she was always blushing when she saw him. But Harry never really saw her as anything other than Ron's little sister untill later.

Ginny has matured enough to move away from her crush on Harry. She is growing up a little and getting control of her feelings for Harry. I don't think she ever stops liking Harry, but she doesn't show it as much. In the meanwhile, Harry starts crushing on Cho in PoA and is still oblivious to Ginny.

I think it's good that they're dating other people. They are kind of "expanding their horizons." Although Harry mostly focuses on Cho because he still has a crush, Ginny is opening up all of the possibilities and dating different boys. She is kind of moving on, but still leaving a place for Harry should he finally open his eyes and realize that they are perfect for each other!

I really liked how JKR developed Harry's feelings for Ginny in HBP. She does it so perfectly! And there are a lot of subtle clues of their relationship in the earlier books that I hadn't noticed before . . . but now I know them thanks to LOVEWEASLEY04's link! And I loved the Harry/Ginny kiss! It is so romantic!
Anyway . . . I think their relationship became more mature in Books 6 and 7. Harry, at the end of HBP, does what he thinks will be best for Ginny, protecting her -- he breaks up with her. This shows that even though he loves her, he cares for her enough to do what is best to ensure her safety. That is pretty mature, if you ask me. Even though it doesn't happen that way . . . (Don't think that Ginny will accept that, Harry! ) And I also think that being away from each other while Harry searched for Horcruxes made their love stronger. After all, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." It was really sweet when Harry kept staring at Ginny's dot on the Marauder's Map . . .

Ginny and Harry both share the "Gryffindor qualities": bravery, boldness, daring, nerve, cares for friends, etc. Sharing those traits autmatically connects them. In addition, Harry is mostly very selfless, but when he has his "moments," Ginny can definitely handle him. She can really shut him up, or just stay cool and collected. Either way, she can work it out.

And it also helps that Ginny is very pretty.

After the battle, they probably grew to love each other even more as they helped each other get over the losses of the battle and move on. Later, I think that they're love matured even more until they were ready to accept each other as husband and wife. And through that course of time, Harry probably grew to love the Weasleys and think of them as his family, even more than he already did. The Weasleys also grew to accept him as part of the family. (They knew what was coming . . . )

I think that they would work nicely together as parents and raise their children well. The would be sure to teach their children about all the brave people that fell in the battle . . . especially Fred. And I'm sure that if Ginny could handle Harry's temper tantrums, she could handle her kids! She probably learned form her mother how to use a firm hand.

Old March 5th, 2008, 2:03 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
After Harry/Ginny's sunlit days' kiss in the common room, and admitting their feelings for each other (off-page), we know that this is the happiest moment in Harry's life. For the next two months, they got to know each other well, she seems to represent a future for him. Since they're teenagers, we might think that it's not serious, or just a phase/puppy love? But in DH, we know how hard it is for Harry leaving Ginny behind for the greater good. And his pining for her/ missing her (watching her dot in the map), and her being his last thought before he dies, I think, he's really in love with her.

Ginny understood him well and didn't insist on coming along with him. She's underage and can be tracked down if she performs underage magic. She'd shown her bravery by reviving the DA with Neville and Luna, tried to steal Gryffindor's sword, got detention/punishments from the Carrows. She did her best supporting his cause.

one hand at her back and one in her long sweet-smelling hair"
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies