Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Harry and Ginny: Joint Character Analysis

Old December 16th, 2012, 12:06 pm
Second Year

Re: Harry and Ginny: Joint Character Analysis

I always found it interesting how after the Stinksap moment in book 5, it was only Neville and Luna he wished Cho hadn't seen him with. While Ginny is very much present in the compartment, but left out of this thought.

But like JK said, they both had to mature before they were ready for each other.

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2012, 2:05 am
Second Year

I always wondered if I had missed something about Harry and Ginny. Their relationship had seemed non-existent in the romantic area till HBP where Harry is now suddenly in love with her. Turns out, I did miss a lot, I just just figured out how it all happened.

I looked at some of the Harry/Ginny moments in the series and saw what some other people meant by Harry using romantic imagery to describe Ginny. I think Harry compared her blushing to a sunset in the beginning of COS whereas with Hermione there is no romantic imagery. He actually notices Ginny a lot, but at the time something else is usually going on. Like the first time he sees her he observes her but also has the problem that he can't find platform 9 3/4. So Ginny is secondary. In POA, The Dementor, Ginny is in the compatment and after Harry wakes from his faint he notices her but she is secondary there as well since Harry is thinking about the dementor. These are just a couple moments. There are others. But what I'm saying is that Harry does notice a lot about Ginny and there is romatic imagery involved in some cases. But as a reader, my focus is not on Ginny and what Harry notices aout her. My concern is Harry finding the platform and finding out what a dementor is, why Harry fainted and who screamed. I also think that's why Harry does not dwell that much on Ginny throughout books 1-5. He always has something on his mind and we as readers are thinking about that and not Ginny.

HBP when Harry first catches Ginny snogging Dean he realizes he has some feelings for her. In this case, Ginny is the main focus and not secondary to anything. Harry is not thinking of anything else and neither are the readers. I got the impression that this was when Harry really started realizing his feelings and I kept on wondering how he suddenly fell in love. It was there all along but I couldn't see it.

This was something that always bothered me about this pairing and I just had to write something about it. To me their relationship did not really have that foundation that Ron and Hermione had.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 7:39 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_chick_div View Post
I always wondered if I had missed something about Harry and Ginny. Their relationship had seemed non-existent in the romantic area till HBP where Harry is now suddenly in love with her. Turns out, I did miss a lot, I just just figured out how it all happened.

I looked at some of the Harry/Ginny moments in the series and saw what some other people meant by Harry using romantic imagery to describe Ginny. I think Harry compared her blushing to a sunset in the beginning of COS whereas with Hermione there is no romantic imagery. He actually notices Ginny a lot, but at the time something else is usually going on. Like the first time he sees her he observes her but also has the problem that he can't find platform 9 3/4. So Ginny is secondary. In POA, The Dementor, Ginny is in the compatment and after Harry wakes from his faint he notices her but she is secondary there as well since Harry is thinking about the dementor. These are just a couple moments. There are others. But what I'm saying is that Harry does notice a lot about Ginny and there is romatic imagery involved in some cases. But as a reader, my focus is not on Ginny and what Harry notices aout her. My concern is Harry finding the platform and finding out what a dementor is, why Harry fainted and who screamed. I also think that's why Harry does not dwell that much on Ginny throughout books 1-5. He always has something on his mind and we as readers are thinking about that and not Ginny.

HBP when Harry first catches Ginny snogging Dean he realizes he has some feelings for her. In this case, Ginny is the main focus and not secondary to anything. Harry is not thinking of anything else and neither are the readers. I got the impression that this was when Harry really started realizing his feelings and I kept on wondering how he suddenly fell in love. It was there all along but I couldn't see it.

This was something that always bothered me about this pairing and I just had to write something about it. To me their relationship did not really have that foundation that Ron and Hermione had.
I think you're reading too much into it. Personally I don't think there was anything at all between them even subconsciously until OoTP which coincided with Ginny starting to behave normally around Harry and Harry reciprocates that by talking to Ginny a lot more and as we see in OoTP he even feels comfortable enough to open up to her about his feelings. At this point Harry was with Cho (sort of) so he didn't really notice Ginny in that way but that changes in HBP.

I also don't think Harry and Ginny were in love up and till DH. Love would come later in their life as they would get to know each other much better and help each other out. At that point I think they were just 2 people who had dated for a few months.

And I don't think you can compare the Harry-Ginny relationship to the Ron-Hermione relationship. Harry-Ginny in the normal relationship in the series and imo represent the normal life Harry has always craved. They are temperamentally different but do seem to get each other quite well and their relationship for the most part I think will be easygoing. Ron and Hermione are more the meant to be types and will probably have a more challenging relationship.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 2:46 am
Second Year

Quote:
They are temperamentally different but do seem to get each other quite well and their relationship for the most part I think will be easygoing. Ron and Hermione are more the meant to be types and will probably have a more challenging relationship.

Perhaps that is why I find Ron and Hermione's relationship more interesting and realistic than Harry and Ginny's romance.

Old January 5th, 2014, 5:18 am
First Year

1. Prior to Harry rescuing Ginny from the Chamber of Secrets, how do you think Harry and Ginny viewed each other?

In Harry's eyes, Ginny was nothing more than Ron's shy little sister who sometimes made him uncomfortable. Harry, in Ginny's eyes, was the Boy Who Lived. The boy from the story she had probably heard hundreds of times. He saved her from the Chamber of Secrets, a great Qudditch Player, and very popular. Easy on the eyes as well.

2. What was the relationship between Harry and Ginny like between the incident in the Chamber of Secrets and the time they started dating other people during Harry's fifth year?

Ginny still harbored a crush of Harry, but as she got older she begun to realize that sending him lovey-lovey poems that embarrassed wasn't the way to his heart. Her crush was less intense, but still there. She backed off but would ask “how high” if he said “jump.” Harry's image of Ginny was still the same.

3. Starting in Harry's fifth year, Harry and Ginny start dating other people. Do you think they helped their own relationship form by dating other people? Did they both harbor feelings towards each other during this time?

I think it did help their relationship. Harry and Ginny were able to explore other people, see what it was like. I'm a firm believer that if you dated/married one person, you will always have the question “what if I dated someone else...” on your mind. Harry could have never said “this feeling of love is the soul-mate kind” unless he knew what it was like to date other girls. Same with Ginny. Personally, I think Harry should have dated a little more. He had a tumultuous experience with Cho, she was never a “real” girlfriend. As a young man with hundreds of girls willing to date him, I find it hard to believe would be so willing to settle down with his first real girlfriend. It would have been more realistic if he went on a date or two.

No, I don't believe that Harry and Ginny had romantic feelings for each other, at least Harry didn't. “Order of the Phoenix” was more like Harry getting to know Ginny, becoming her friend before deciding she was the one. Towards the end, undoubtedly Harry was smitten but due to his unfortunate circumstance, wasn't able to properly recolonized it. Ginny on the other hand seemed to still have a crush on Harry, but she pulled him down from his pedestal and decided to get to know him, which turned to like by the end. That's what their relationship supposedly is. Personally, I think there should have been more time to develop the friendship, more scenes connecting one on one – which is one of the reasons why their relationship/love seemed so abrupt and unplanned.

4. How did their relationship evolve from the time they started dating each other in Harry's sixth year until the end of the Battle of Hogwarts?

Not much. They broke up relatively quick. During the final book, it was more like longing and an intense feeling of absence, like they realized how much they cared for each other. The time apart allowed them to analyze their relationship and each other. That's all I can really think of.

5. What qualities do Harry and Ginny have that brought them together? How does their relationship work?

I suppose it was their love of Qudditch and love for the same family. Ginny loved her family a lot and Harry seemed to love them just as much. Ginny is obviously a family person and Harry is as well. Harry's best friend is Ginny's brother who is scarcely a year older. It was that they drew them in. From there it was Ginny's humor that made Harry stay, and the fact that she wasn't weepy. Ginny admired his bravery and hero-thing. I think that Ginny has a thing for heroes, people that always feels a need to help and protect people. It was Ginny's humor that allowed Harry to forget, Harry's bravery that inspired Ginny, and their mutual interest. (Qudditch and pranks)

6. We see in the epilogue that Harry and Ginny have married and have three children. How do you think their relationship evolved between the Battle of Hogwarts and the epilogue?

I think it was more of a comfort thing. Ginny was (finally!) able to relate to Harry's losses in life and Harry was able to comfort her during her loss. (He understood only too well) Harry viewed Fred as brother and Ginny lost her brother, they were able to connect with a similar loss. (Like George and Angela) From there it became what it was. What they loved about each other before only intensified. (Their time apart had allowed them to evaluate their relationship and understand exactly how much he/she meant to him/her) It put into perspective how much each others worth is. Their relationship was solidified. Towards their twenties, I assume they became much more aware of each other and how to work as a team. (As shown in the epilogue)

7. What kind of parents do you think Harry and Ginny would be?

Laid back but supportive. Harry and Ginny seem like the type to spend a lot of time out doors and playing with magic, as they both harbor the same impulsive and reckless trait. However, I think Harry's life experience allowed him to become wiser and more understanding of various types of emotions; jealousy, anger, loss, and emptiness. He could easily relate and offer his advice, which brought his children closer to him. Harry, having lost parents, would try to the best he could be. Showering them with love and everything he was denied by Voldemort. Ginny seems like the cool mom that all your friend's have a crush on, she doesn't seem like the type to ground her children, but seeing as Ginny is referenced to Mrs. Weasley, she probably had no trouble grounding her children and being stern. I don't see Harry as the stern one at all. Overall, extraordinary, loving parents.

Old January 10th, 2014, 1:12 am
Fifth Year

The plot of Harry and Ginny's relationship is unique in the series. Rowling definitely had that carefully plotted since the first book.
1. Ginny is the first little witch Harry knew by name. Introduced (literally, not personally) to him at the King's Cross station.
2. Harry's first ever journey to Hogwarts, leaving London, was highlighted by the view of Ginny waving and running (to her brothers).
3. Ginny was the first one greeting him (indirectly) when he was back again at the station.
Basically the first book sets the plot: Harry will be back to Ginny when all is done in the series.

In book 2 several important hints were presented:
1. Ginny liked Harry (at age 11, it is considered a "crush", not "real love").
2. Harry noticed Ginny at the Burrows (bright brown eyes, like sunshine etc), but at the age 12, he certainly doesn't know romance yet.
3. Draco Malfoy remarked that Harry got himself a girlfriend, pointing to Ginny. Harry never denied this (compared to Harry saying "Hermione is not my girlfriend" in book 4).
4. When Ginny was taken into the Chamber, Harry felt that it was the worst day of his life. After reading the epilogue, we know that it was indeed the scariest thing befell Ginny in the whole series.
5. Harry saved Ginny from Tom Riddle's possession. He won her life back.

Book 3 has the least of Harry-Ginny because it was not quite relevant to the main story, but there are some highlights:
1. Ginny and Harry both were greatly affected by the Dementors, while others not.
2. Harry treated Ginny as his primary fan, and for a 13-year-old boy that is an achievement.

Book 4 starts the sidetracking of romance: Harry fell in love with Cho Chang. Ginny danced with Neville and behind the screen (known in Book 5) start dating Michael Corner.

End of Book 5 Harry and Cho Chang relationship was over. Ginny and Michael Corner broke up. Michael started dating Cho. Ginny dated Dean Thomas. Harry's feeling was not registered until Book 6, how he disliked Dean for dating Ginny.

Fast forward to once they actually are together into Book 7. The war separated them. Harry occasionally checked Ginny in the Marauder Map while wandering with Ron and Hermione. J.K. Rowling filled in that after the war, Ginny became a professional Quidditch player as Harry worked as an Auror in the ministry. After getting married, Ginny became a sport commentator. The family seems happy as Harry never thought about his scar again until 19 years after the end of the war.

Harry and Ginny took a gradual pathway to a true relationship. They still managed to establish own careers, before building a family. They can share laughs, stories, and supports to each other. It is quite a healthy romance and surely plotted to last long.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies