Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Harry and Ginny: Joint Character Analysis

Old January 6th, 2008, 7:35 pm
Custodian of Hades Vault

Harry and Ginny: Joint Character Analysis

Welcome to the discussion of the Harry / Ginny relationship! We've decided to restart this as a joint character analysis with some discussion questions. Additionally, discussion of the movie portrayal of this relationship should be kept in the Muggle Studies threads.

Some discussion questions:

1. Prior to Harry rescuing Ginny from the Chamber of Secrets, how do you think Harry and Ginny viewed each other?

2. What was the relationship between Harry and Ginny like between the incident in the Chamber of Secrets and the time they started dating other people during Harry's fifth year?

3. Starting in Harry's fifth year, Harry and Ginny start dating other people. Do you think they helped their own relationship form by dating other people? Did they both harbor feelings towards each other during this time?

4. How did their relationship evolve from the time they started dating each other in Harry's sixth year until the end of the Battle of Hogwarts?

5. What qualities do Harry and Ginny have that brought them together? How does their relationship work?

6. We see in the epilogue that Harry and Ginny have married and have three children. How do you think their relationship evolved between the Battle of Hogwarts and the epilogue?

7. What kind of parents do you think Harry and Ginny would be?

As you can see from the questions we want to focus this thread on the relationship as revealed by canon and how the characters were affected by it. Your personal reaction to the relationship is not on topic here, nor is a literary analysis of the relationship or a discussion of why JKR wrote things the way she did.

Please read REVISED: Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray, How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic. and our Fair Warning Guide: Update before posting in this thread.

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.

Last edited by Hes; December 10th, 2010 at 4:20 pm. Reason: updated links
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2008, 7:19 pm
Second Year

Re: Harry and Ginny: Joint Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chparadise View Post
1. Prior to Harry rescuing Ginny from the Chamber of Secrets, how do you think Harry and Ginny viewed each other?
I think that Harry never really noticed Ginny. I mean, he knew she was there because he was Ron's sister, but he didn't bother to pay much attention to her. Even though it was clear she had a crush on him, he didn't seem to care at all. I think that Harry's true colors begin to show when he learns that it is Ginny in the chamber. Even though he is most upset because it is his best friend's sister, I think he realizes that he cares about the Weasley family, and he definitely cares about Ginny. I don't think Harry really understood the depth of his feelings until OotP.

""You'll stay with me?"
"Until the very end," said James.
"They won't be able to see you?" asked Harry.
"We are a part of you," said Sirius. "Invisible to anyone else."
Harry looked at his mother.
"Stay close to me," he said quietly.

Old January 8th, 2008, 6:43 am
Fourth Year

well we know from jo that ginny viewed harry as kind of a rockstar, the friend of older brother. harry on the other hand, viewed ginny as best friend's little sister. however, there is no real indication on his thoughts about her having a crush on him except for embarrassment

2. What was the relationship between Harry and Ginny like between the incident in the Chamber of Secrets and the time they started dating other people during Harry's fifth year?
during the third book it was really awkward because they both felt a little awkward about what had happened. we don't really see them together that much in the fourth book. in the fifth book she starts to speak out and he notices her as a person.
3. Starting in Harry's fifth year, Harry and Ginny start dating other people. Do you think they helped their own relationship form by dating other people? Did they both harbor feelings towards each other during this time?

i think it did, because if they didn't date other people beforehand, they would be each others' first and possibly only everything, which might not have been too healthy in later years. also, it means they are less awkward around the opposite sex, because if harry had never gone out with a girl before, he might not have been as confident as he was when he kissed ginny.
4. How did their relationship evolve from the time they started dating each other in Harry's sixth year until the end of the Battle of Hogwarts?
I think harry really realized how much she meant to him, and how strong she was. For instance, when he realized that she could marry someone else, it brought doubt to his mind as to what the relationship meant to them and the fact that he could lose her. another important moment is when the 'last' thing he sees is ginny running toward him and kissing him, and looking into his eyes. it was very poetic and strong romantic imagery, but it also really showed how much she meant to him.
5. What qualities do Harry and Ginny have that brought them together? How does their relationship work?

i think it is a combination of 'opposites attract' and the fact that they also have similar traits. they are opposite because ginny is very outgoing and outspoken, while harry is more of an introvert, and they can balance each other out. however, they are both very strong people who can handle each other, and they both have a dry sense of humor.
6. We see in the epilogue that Harry and Ginny have married and have three children. How do you think their relationship evolved between the Battle of Hogwarts and the epilogue?
i think it would have been hard and rocky, especially in the beginning. they might have gone out with other people, but eventually drifted back to each other.

i think they would be very good parents, although greatly effected by the war (especially harry), kind of like (although to much a less extreme) the survivors of the holocaust, such as in Maus.
I think they would be very strict, but very loving parents. i think ginny would be the one in charge, as she was at home doing the paper while harry was at work, and harry would be the 'dad'. i think they would fight about how to raise their kids, but agree on the core values.

Old January 8th, 2008, 12:52 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
Welcome to the discussion of the Harry / Ginny relationship! We've decided to restart this as a joint character analysis with some discussion questions. Additionally, discussion of the movie portrayal of this relationship should be kept in the Muggle Studies threads.

Some discussion questions:

As you can see from the questions we want to focus this thread on the relationship as revealed by canon and how the characters were affected by it. Your personal reaction to the relationship is not on topic here, nor is a literary analysis of the relationship or a discussion of why JKR wrote things the way she did.

Please read REVISED: Character Bashing/Worship: aka Shades of Gray , In-Thread Moderator Warnings , and How to have a pleasant conversation on any topic. before posting in this thread.
1. Harry --- Ginny as Ron's sister and Ginny ---- Harry as the BWL.

2. Same as answer 1. I think.

3. No. No, I did not think Harry had any feelings for Ginny, while aI knew Ginny still had a crush on Harry.

4. They had an affection towards each other in sixth year which also, continued in their 7th year.

5. I really did not think them very compatible.

6. ----

7. I think Harry would make a wonderful parent and I thought seeing from the books, Ginny may be an impatient mother, I found her very impatient with people and perhaps quick to anger. That might be because she was an only daughter and in certain issues she may have needed to fight her way and in others she may have been very protected and maybe pampered.

JMHO.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old January 8th, 2008, 1:05 pm
Zonko's Employee

The last two questions particularly interest me :

We see in the epilogue that Harry and Ginny have married and have three children. How do you think their relationship evolved between the Battle of Hogwarts and the epilogue?

I do think it might have been, as Witchygurl puts it, a little rocky. Ginny has just lost a beloved brother in battle. She and Harry have had no emotional interaction for months. Meanwhile Harry has his own post-war exhaustion to handle and has to process the emotional fallout from all the post-war revelations (the truth about Dumbledore, Snape, etc.etc.) Wow. That's a lot of post-war trauma for these two young people to cope with ... not to mention a difficult summer to follow which will be full of funerals and Ministry trials of former Death Eaters (at which Harry, no doubt, will be giving evidence.)

Therefore, in the light of all this, it would not be surprising if their newly formed relationship, post-war, was not a little strained! However, since Jo Rowling clearly intended these two to end up together, then we can interpret these kinds of (very understandable) difficulties only strengthening the relationship, deepening their compassion for each other and leading, eventually, to the happy and stable marriage we see in the Epilogue.

What kind of parents do you think Harry and Ginny would be?

Loving ones. I'm not sure about strict. I can see Harry perhaps being a little over-protective, because of his loss of his own parents as a small child, and also all that he'd been through since and seen his loved ones suffer.

I can see them both being fun parents too, though, with a good sense of humour.

Old January 8th, 2008, 4:18 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Harry just knows Ginny as Ron's shy little sister that has a crush on him. They don't have much interaction since Ginny doesn't talk much, though he observes her once in a while (elbow in the butter dish). Even in Hogwarts, he doesn't seek out Ginny's company.

one hand at her back and one in her long sweet-smelling hair"
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:02 pm
Animaga terpsichore

Ginny was always bashful when she first met Harry and she was a very shy girl whenever he was around.

I think that they were just friends. Not as close as Harry was with Ron and Hermione, but still friends.

Yes it did. Because if they didn't date other people before hand, then it would have been more awkward and their relationship probably would have ended.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:42 pm
I want to believe

Harry likely thought of Ginny first and foremost as Ron's little sister. I think he likely saw her crush on him as something she would get over in time. Ginny probably looked up to Harry, and I'm sure she probably hero-worshipped him a bit from afar.

It doesn't seem like they had much of a relationship during this time. Harry likely continued to think of Ginny as Ron's little sister, and probably thought she'd gotten over him from when she was a first year writing him singing valentines.

Subconsciously Harry seemed to have feelings toward Ginny which he didn't even realize until his sixth year. So it's possible that could have had those subconscious feelings at that time. As for Ginny, I do think she still had feelings for Harry, but she moved on as he moved on, and when the moment was right for both of them, she went to be with him. Having other relationships was probably natural for both of them, and I suppose it gave them a bit of experience that they wouldn't have otherwise had.

I always find it interesting that Ginny didn't put up more of a fight when Harry didn't allow her to come with him to destroy the horcruxes, considering what a headstrong and stubborn person she is. Though I suppose Harry is just as stubborn and headstrong as she is. Their relationship definitely evolved, but since they didn't really see much of each other, it's hard to say when or how.

They are both very similar in that they experienced Voldemort first-hand through possession. Both are stubborn and stand up strongly for what they believe in. Both are strong magically and morally. But they are different enough so that they offset each other. I'd say Ginny is very outgoing while Harry is quieter and more introverted. But both of them are on the same page, so to speak, so their relationship works well.

I'm sure it was probably not long before they got married. I can imagine that both knew that they could have easily lost the other during the battle, which I think would have brought them closer than they had been prior to the battle.

Very good and loving ones I'm sure. I have a feeling Harry would have wanted to be a part of their lives as much as possible since he himself never had a chance to get that from his own parents (and then there were the Dursleys). Though I think he'd probably want to protect them as much as possible from any danger. And I'm sure he'd want them to get up to some mischief at Hogwarts.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:00 am
Sixth Year

Let's face it, they didn't really know each other very well as people. To Ginny, Harry was, as JKR has said, a "rock god", and that was the basis of her initial attraction - she idolised him the way young people fall for pop stars.

From Harry's point of view, she's just Ron's little sister. But although he finds her interest in him awkward (the Valentine), he's never cruel or unkind to her - that's an important point. He's always patient and compassionate - feeling relieved that no one but himself saw her put her elbow in the butter dish, giving her his Lockhart books as a gift, etc. He does care about her from very early on.

Ginny's attraction seems to have grown as a result of him saving her, but their relationship doesn't really start to move on until midway through GoF. Everything changes when Ginny learns that Harry has asked Cho to the ball. Look at it from her perspective - all these years of pining after him, and he's fallen for a girl he hardly knows.

That's when she makes the decision to follow Hermione's advice, stop moping around hoping that Harry will one day notice her, and get on with her life. She meets Michael Corner at the ball, and things go from there ...

It was a necessary stage in their relationship. For Harry's part, it helps him realise the sort of personality he needs in a partner. Cho's mental anguish is understandable, but it isn't what Harry needs, especially at this point in his life. He needs someone fierce and strong, someone able to cope. And he certainly learns that it's a mistake to fall for someone based purely on physical appearance.

I don't think Ginny dating Michael and Dean was part of some big plan to get Harry to notice her - if it is, it doesn't make much sense. I think it's more an attitude of, "I need to get on with my life and be with other people, gain my confidence, and if he notices me, great - if he doesn't, at least I'm not stuck moping around forever". But it does help her be more "herself" when she's with Harry - he notices things about her he never realised before, her talent as a witch and on the Quidditch pitch, her sense of humour. JKR does it subtly in OotP, but it's very important.

As for their feelings, I'm certain that Ginny always felt something for Harry. But her feelings also transform - in OotP she stands up to him, and tells him when she thinks he's out of line. That isn't the sign of someone suffering from "hero worship". It's a sign that Ginny has seen Harry's flaws (as we all do in OotP) and accepted them, and still likes him all the same. That's also vital - it's the difference between an infatuation and love.

And for Harry, for most of the book he's preoccupied with Cho, but there are signs that unconsciously, he's seeing Ginny in a very different light, and may even be developing feelings for her as early as the "chocolate in the library" scene. It's not something that hits him over the head instantly - it grows on him over the course of a full year, until he realises that he really doesn't like seeing her with another man ...

Ginny handles Harry's decision to break up with her very well. It's something she expects and accepts, and she doesn't try to make an already difficult situation even harder. But Ginny being Ginny, she still does what she can to get involved, and to help Harry, through the stealing of Gryffindor's sword.

I think Harry's experience through DH is a case of "absence makes the heart grow fonder". He only really realises how much he loves Ginny when she's gone - and yes, throughout DH, it is clear that he does love her. He is very protective of her, though, which is a weakness Voldemort could have exploited, had he known about Harry and Ginny - several times in the final battle, Harry's concern for Ginny threatens to cloud his judgement when going after Voldemort. But in this sense, Harry's choice to break up with her is a good one, because Voldemort never finds out, and they both get the reward their patience deserves.

While Ron and Hermione is a case of "opposites attracting" and personalities balancing each other, Harry and Ginny are similar people. They're both strong, passionate and fierce. Harry could not have ended up with an insecure person - a relationship with a Hermione or a Cho would never have lasted. Confident people and insecure people do not suit.

Sense of humour and shared interests are important, too. Their enjoy each others' company, bounce jokes off each other, and they both love Quidditch. This is important, because no other girl meshes with Harry in quite the same way.

Their relationship is naturally a passionate and impulsive one, because that's the sort of people they are. Their first kiss doesn't need words - a blazing look tells Harry all he needs to know, that Ginny does still have feelings for him. Where Ron and Hermione take forever to work out various issues relating to their personal insecurities, Harry and Ginny just go for it.

It will be interesting to find out, when The Scottish Book is published, whether Ginny went back to school, or went into the Auror department along with everyone else who fought in the battle. She would of course be of-age before her seventh year started. I've no doubt Ginny would want to go into the Auror department, but as we see at the end of DH, both Molly and Harry are very protective of her. But Ginny does leave the Room of Requirement, she does fight, and is likely the youngest person to survive that battle. She proves that she's perfectly capable. So I imagine Harry would learn to become less protective of her, and would not discourage her if she wanted to join the Aurors in the immediate aftermath of the battle. Molly is a different thing altogether, but I would certainly hope that Harry would learn to "let go" of a little of his fear for Ginny's safety.

It'll also be interesting to know if they were able to take any sort of "break" between the final battle, and Harry going to work for the Aurors. I think Kingsley would probably have given Harry a few weeks to recover from everything that had happened to him, but there are so much issues relating to Fred's funeral, and Harry being Teddy's godfather, to sort out. The battle was devastating, and it would take time to work through everything. I'd like to think that with all of that sorted, they'd eventually have been able to spend a week together at Shell Cottage or wherever, and talk things through before Harry went off to the Aurors.

I don't think they'd be any rush to get engaged, but I don't think it would have taken long, either - within a year of the final battle, I imagine, with the wedding following soon after.

Like a lot of people, I think Ginny would probably be the strict one. She'd inherit that from Molly. Harry was quite deprived of love as a child, so I think he'd naturally over-compensate, want to give his children as loving as possible an upbringing, and be quite lenient. Between them, they'd have been fantastic parents.

Last edited by FaceofBoe; January 9th, 2008 at 12:07 am.
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:16 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
7. I think Harry would make a wonderful parent and I thought seeing from the books, Ginny may be an impatient mother, I found her very impatient with people and perhaps quick to anger. That might be because she was an only daughter and in certain issues she may have needed to fight her way and in others she may have been very protected and maybe pampered.

JMHO.
Do you think Ginny's friendships with Luna, Colin and Neville show her to be impatient and quick to anger?

I'm just wild about Harry

Proud but Surprised Owner of an OUTSTANDING on the Level 3 W.O.M.B.A.T.
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:18 am
Fourth Year

Fantastic post, FaceofBoe.
After that, what else I can say except that you are still one my favorite Harry/Ginny posters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods
Well, Ginny does have a temper, I mean, you can't denied Molly's genes in her , but she also has a fun and mischievous side. So, I think she'll be very understanding and a great mom, a bit more relaxed than her mother, I expect. She'll be a cool mom. The boys would be thrill to have a ex-professional Quidditch player as their mother

As for Harry, I think Ginny will have to keep him in check I think he'll be very supportive and protective (not overwhelmingly) of them, especially from the outside attention that his family might receive, so that they have a chance to be regular kids.
I mean, the Epilogue's line "What are they looking at?" (I don't have the book with me, so bear with me. If I remember correctly, Albus asks before Ron says 'I'm extremely famous') makes me wonder how much do the kids know or realize about his father's legend.
Overall, I think they'll do great as parents.

Sig made by the awesome cybobbie

You wish we were in your House

The ASP at Hogwarts, Hogwarts Staff Meeting and The Prince of Hogwarts (An ASP at Hogwarts prequel): All by Inkwolf

Last edited by GinnyIsGenius; January 9th, 2008 at 6:07 am.
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:32 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyIsGenius View Post
After that, what else I can say except that you are still one my favorite Harry/Ginny posters.
That's funny, because I've never really seen myself as a shipper, but I am very fond of that relationship, and for some reason I'm drawn to it more than any other in the books. But anyway, thank you!

Old January 9th, 2008, 1:12 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyIsGenius View Post

Well, Ginny does have a temper, I mean, you can't denied Molly's genes in her , but she also has a fun and mischievous side. So, I think she'll be very understanding and a great mom, a bit more relaxed than her mother, I expect. She'll be a cool mom. The boys would be thrill to have a ex-professional Quidditch player as their mother
I totally agree Ginny will be a cool mom. She learned from the twin how to be mischievous.

Quote:
As for Harry, I think Ginny will have to keep him in check I think he'll be very supportive and protective (not overwhelmingly) of them, especially from the outside attention that his family might receive, so that they have a chance to be regular kids.
I mean, the Epilogue's line "What are they looking at?" (I don't have the book with me, so bear with me. If I remember correctly, Albus asks before Ron says 'I'm extremely famous') makes me wonder how much do the kids know or realize about his father's legend.
Overall, I think they'll do great as parents.
Oh, Albus will learn how famous his dad is in "Hogwarts, A History"

But Rose already knows that, Hermione made her read it in advance

one hand at her back and one in her long sweet-smelling hair"
Old January 9th, 2008, 4:37 am
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkly View Post
Do you think Ginny's friendships with Luna, Colin and Neville show her to be impatient and quick to anger?
Do you think they would talk back to her like say Ron does?

Ginny in the books IMO is shown with a temper that lasts all the 7 books. Unless that drastically changed later, I presume that's the way she would be. For example, she is short to Harry, when Harry makes a positive comment about Fleur in HBP. So disagreeing with her may lead to an impatience or a short tempered comment is what I feel, with what we are shown in the books.

Luna, Neville and Colin are the three most pleasant characters; especially Neville and Luna. I doubt Ginny would have differences with them; though I really don't know.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Old January 9th, 2008, 4:47 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Am I the only one who believes that Ginny may have a mischievous streak as a parent? She had it as a teen, and I feel like she might not give it up. She may be strict but fun-loving. And Harry may be the same - they seem the type of parents who'd balance it out nicely. They may even trade off the "good-cop / bad-cop" roles. With a child like James Sirius Potter appears to be, they may need to for their own sanity .

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Old January 9th, 2008, 4:52 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Am I the only one who believes that Ginny may have a mischievous streak as a parent? She had it as a teen, and I feel like she might not give it up. She may be strict but fun-loving. And Harry may be the same - they seem the type of parents who'd balance it out nicely. They may even trade off the "good-cop / bad-cop" roles. With a child like James Sirius Potter appears to be, they may need to for their own sanity .
No, I wouldn't say that you are the only one. I think so too. I can see her playing little tricks on her own children. I think that Harry would let her have her fun, but still keep her in line, keep her from doing too much damage. I see them as being really great parents. Very good at balancing the fun with the discipline. The kind of parents that you really can get along with, the kind that can become your friends later in life.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old January 9th, 2008, 4:54 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Quote:
Originally Posted by sllagnire View Post
No, I wouldn't say that you are the only one. I think so too. I can see her playing little tricks on her own children. I think that Harry would let her have her fun, but still keep her in line, keep her from doing too much damage. I see them as being really great parents. Very good at balancing the fun with the discipline. The kind of parents that you really can get along with, the kind that can become your friends later in life.
It would also work completely in reverse - if Harry's having too much fun *coughfireboltatage1cough* with the kids, Ginny would step in too. They have a natural understanding of each other that was apparent even before they started dating, and they seem to be able to figure out when each other need to be reigned in.

Old January 9th, 2008, 4:58 am
Third Year

I totally agree! You're not the only one with that opinion!

I always sort of pictured Harry and Ginny as having equal roles in parenting, unlike the opinion of a lot of other people who thought that Ginny would become her mother and take on the 'mum from the black lagoon' role. There are few times when she's shown her inner-Molly but it doesn't seem like that's the dominant side at all, more something she pulls out when in dire need as protection against the woes of her elder brothers (ex. in HBP when Fred and George are giving her the twenty-question about her romantic life and how they've heard from Ron that she's seeing about five boys). But contrar to the idea that she'd be a Molly-like parent I see her and Harry as balancing discipline with fun very, very well. I've always pictured them (well, since I discovered their ship) as the sort of parents that don't need to be super-strict because they're relationship with their kids is based on respect and therefore the children listen to them just because they're cool and they have the spirit of kid themselves--they don't need to yell or get angry as much as say...Ron and Hermione might, because their personalities tend to be more patient and easy-going. For instance if the kids were playfully goofing off and running amuck outside or something I can see Ginny saying 'come on kids, in the house' and then them mischieveously running away into the yard and her giving them a look and then smiling and running after them and playing along. Harry and Ginny together with their children seems like such an image of joy to me, the sense of adventure alone that must reside in those joint genes--I can only imagine!

Old January 9th, 2008, 5:01 am
WendyPotter

Quote:
No, you are not the only one I agree.

Old January 9th, 2008, 5:02 am
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
Ginny may be a loving parent. There is nothing to suggest that she would be a harsh mother or anything. But she would be strict, I thought. In the Books at least, she does not react favourably to being disagreed with. That's the opinion I got. So I presumed she would be the same when she got married and the same to her kids. Though she may have changed and I'll admit, I don't know.

With Harry on the other hand, I believed he would be very loving simply because his kids represent what he has been yearning for all his life. A family. And by nature he is more sympathetic and understanding, I felt.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies