Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Music from different cultures + languages

Old October 8th, 2008, 3:33 am
First Year

Re: Music from different cultures + languages

I really like Japanese Music - even though I have no idea what they're saying!!
Its really cool though when you know some of the words and then you can like sing in a different language!! Whooo! Ayumi Hamasaki is my favorite.

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:07 am
HighFunctioning Sociopath

I lived in Poland for 4 years in the mid-90s and I still listen to a lot of Polish music. And I've loved the Icelandic artist Bubbi ever since I spent a summer in Reykjavik in the late 80s.

One of the good things I've found about listening to music from a culture that's not yours is that you often don't know what's "supposed" to be cool and what's "supposed" to be cheesy, so you respond to the music, not to the image, to an extent that's just not possible in your own culture. Most Polish people are aghast when they hear what Polish artists I like, as most of them are considered very middle-aged and unfashionable - it's a bit like if I went round saying I liked Daniel O'Donnell, Perry Como and Val Doonican in England!

Amongst more internationally known artists, I also like Trio Bulgarka (I always think they manage to upstage even Kate Bush on the albums they appear on!) and I'm very fond of Natacha Atlas/Transglobal Underground.

When I don't understand the lyrics in foreign music, I still love the sound, and when I do understand the lyrics, they're often coming from an interesting different angle to English lyrics. I also feel embarrassed about the fact that we British on the whole impose our language and culture on the rest of the world but are often reluctant to engage with anyone else's.

And I'm a Eurovision junkie.

Old October 8th, 2008, 11:07 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
Amongst more internationally known artists, I also like Trio Bulgarka (I always think they manage to upstage even Kate Bush on the albums they appear on!)
Oh yay!! I'm so glad you like them!

And I adore Kate Bush!! (who for me is a foreign artist )

My ex boyfriend is crazy about Polish jazz. We saw the Tomasz Stanko Quartet live last year in Sofia, it was fantastic. I think he's mainly into Skalpel and Pink Freud. Btw I'm going to Poland in December, off topic, but I'm too excited not to mention it

My favourite non-English act are Wolfsheim Their albums are among the very few I can listen to on repeat, again and again, and enjoy them every time. My favourite are Kein Zurueck, Touch, Closer Still, Find You're Gone, and Care For You. I also love the soundtracks to all Wong Kar-Wai films Recently I've been listening to some Finnish tango (Olavi Virta) - through a film director again (Aki Kaurismaki), and a Norwegian band called Surferosa, who are extremely uplifting and cute (again, found them through cinema, a Norwegian film the name of which I completely forgot).

Last edited by Yoana; October 8th, 2008 at 11:12 am.
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:20 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonie102 View Post
I Love Bollywood Music For Some Reason I Don't Know Why I Just Love It
Me too

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old October 8th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Oh yay!! I'm so glad you like them!
Do you like them, too? Fantastic! I was worried it was going to be another one of those situations where real Bulgarians think the Bulgarian artists I like are unspeakably naff. I love the haunting, slightly atonal harmonies in a lot of Balkan folk music, actually, but Yanka just absolutely rocks. Are there any other Bulgarian artists you'd recommend?

Quote:
My ex boyfriend is crazy about Polish jazz. We saw the Tomasz Stanko Quartet live last year in Sofia, it was fantastic. I think he's mainly into Skalpel and Pink Freud. Btw I'm going to Poland in December, off topic, but I'm too excited not to mention it
Brilliant! Which part of Poland?

I'm not at all up on current Polish music, actually, and only really heard stuff that was on the radio a lot or that friends recommended/gave me when I was there, so I'm no expert. I love sung poetry artists like Grzegorz Turnau, Soyka and Antonina Krzystom (any Poles reading this will be curling their toes with embarassment at the cheesy middle-aged nature of my taste), find a guilty pleasure in wannabe American-style rock band Wilki, and (although I'm not wild about their records) communist-era rock band Maanam (another uncool, easy-listening for the over-50s band) are one of the most incredible bands I've ever seen live - their singer Kora has an awesome voice and could pass for a woman half her age.

Old October 8th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
Do you like them, too? Fantastic! I was worried it was going to be another one of those situations where real Bulgarians think the Bulgarian artists I like are unspeakably naff. I love the haunting, slightly atonal harmonies in a lot of Balkan folk music, actually, but Yanka just absolutely rocks. Are there any other Bulgarian artists you'd recommend?
No, genuine folklore (which is what Trio Bulgarka do predominantly) is deeply revered in Bulgaria. I'm no patriot (not by any stretch of the definition), but I am awed by certain singing techniques and songs.

When I was in the USA the summer of 2003, most people would ask me whether it was very bad in Bulgaria and even if we had trains, but there was one man who, when he heard where I was from, immediately thought of Trio Bulgarka (and their recording The Mystery Of Bulgarian Voices). I was very pleased to hear such a nice association of my country for a change

Unfortunately I can't recommend anything specific, I know no names of singers, just songs... But а folk song from the Rhodope region sung by Valya Balkanska is a part of the Voyager Golden Record selection of music included in the two Voyager spacecraft launched in 1977. So it's travelling in space now

Quote:
Brilliant! Which part of Poland?
Only Krakow, but I'm very excited about it anyway!

Old June 29th, 2009, 2:12 pm

I am currently totally in love with the Warsaw Village Band, particularly their global trance stuff.

Old June 30th, 2009, 6:37 am
First Year

I really love this Italian band called Lost, I wish I understood their lyrics though My mom translates them for me sometimes haha

Old July 7th, 2009, 8:40 pm
Third Year

I am in love with a german band Lacrimosa (or at least they speak german ) and I do not understand the lyrics, but I am in love.

Like a wilful stray cat, full of pride and freedom... bearing wounds that can't be healed...
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:59 am
Second Year

Yes, I lilke some music with other language, but, the lyrics is important for me.
I always check out what they are singing about, so I know for sure.

Old July 8th, 2009, 8:32 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipro2003 View Post
I love Reggae and Reggaeton. And Spanish pop is awesome to, I especially like Juanes right now.
Reggaeton is awesome. Like Daddy Yankee, Wisin y Yandel, Angel y Khris, and Luny Tunes. Spanish music is awesome. So, is Italian, but I can't name any bands/artists right now.

Old July 9th, 2009, 9:54 am
Second Year

Well, some of the music I listen to is in your eyes from another culture.
But, in my eyes, there just good music.

Well, you should listen on Kent, the swedish songs.
There are english songs too, but they are the same songs as the swedish, just
translated.

Old July 20th, 2009, 11:25 pm
First Year

I'm a fan of electronical music and there is lot of that in sweden where I live. So I listen to a lot of music in swedish and english. But then there is lot of good electronical music from germany and they often sings in their own language and even thought I have no idea of what they are saying it can be good.

Old October 5th, 2009, 1:04 am
First Year

Utada is from Japan, and she is my favorite musical artist ever.

I love her.

I also like Kerli, who is from estonia,

And then Ayumi Hamasaki (Japan)

Emilie Simon (French)

Kate Havnevik (Norway)

I listen to mostly forgien music, tho I'm from the US.

~spook~

Old March 13th, 2010, 7:13 pm
Fourth Year

I don't really listen to music from other cultures but Beyonce has recorded some of her songs in Spanish so I listen to them. I think it's really useful because I'm learning Spanish so I get some listening practice without it being a chore

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old May 1st, 2010, 3:57 am
Second Year

Tokio Hotel is German and I listen to there songs in german.
Tatu is Rushian but I don't listen to there rushian songs much.
Avril Lavigne is from Canada but I guess that doesn't really count.
And Cinema Bizarre is German but I've never heard any German songs from them. I don't know if they even have any.

But yes I do enjoy music from different cltures and lanquages.

Poor iphone...

"Feel the fear and do it anyway because even though it's not too late now, someday it will be."
Old August 22nd, 2010, 5:05 pm
Second Year

Ricardo Arjona, from Guatemala. He has the most AMAZING songs, with really powerfull lyrics thatsend such meaningful messages. "La Nena" (The Little Girl), "Laura", and "Iluso" (Deluded) are amongst my favourites.
Maná, from Mexico, are also really good. I also LOVE Belinda Peregrin, also from Mexico (she's the one that was in the second Cheetah Girls movie. CHeck out her music, it's amazing)

Old August 22nd, 2010, 6:32 pm
Sixth Year

I love listening to music from other cultures. I love music from eastern cultures the most. My favorite instrument would have to be the 'erhu' from the Chinese culture - it's a beautiful instrument.

And Bollywood of course, some German, and Japanese

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old November 14th, 2010, 9:44 pm
Third Year

I like the band Dir En Grey. All their songs are in Japanese. I know how to sing the songs however, I have to look online for translations.

Old December 5th, 2010, 10:26 pm
First Year

I love listening to music in other languages. My favorites to listen to are Japanese, Hawaiian, German, Hindi, and Korean, though I love all languages I've been exposed to so far.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)