Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Magical Masterpieces

General ConCrit Thread For Graphics

Old November 7th, 2007, 11:52 pm
She Who Walks Behind

General ConCrit Thread For Graphics

I had the idea, because several people asked for critic on their work in the Graphic Contest, but hardly ever got them. Some people already showed interest in this thread so here we go.

This thread is about getting Constructive Critic for your work like icons or other graphics you created. You have the possibility to post several examples of your latest batch and other people can tell you what you can improve on them. It will almost work like the voting in the LIMS thread, just that people will know who they give their critics too.

There will be no critics without a good set of rules.

RULES FOR THE SUBMITTER
  • You are allow to post up to 10 images of avatar size (max 125x125 pixels) and up to 5 images up to signature size (max. 300x300 pixels) in one post.
  • At least 5 of your images MUST be Harry Potter related. The rest can be of any other fandom etc. (the staff gave their OK, that I am allow to handle it like this)
  • To make it easier please give your images numbers.
  • There will be no submitting of any images that violates the Forum Rules in any case.
RULES FOR THE REVIEWER
  • ALL critic you give on the work of other people MUST be constructive. That means that you should make sure that it applies to the technic they used and the overall appearance and not on the actual content of the images.
  • There will be no attacking of other people's work. Saying things like "that is rubbish" or "I don't like that character" are not allowed. (See point one here).
  • Of course are you allow to tell the other person which one your favourites are, but tell them the reason.
  • When you give critic on another member, please either quote their post or link to it. It's easier to see what your are referring at.
  • Don't start to argue with other members who gave their critic on the same images. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
  • Also here, please follow the Forum Rules
Please bear in mind that the opinion of other members can vary from your own. I'll try to make sure that all critic will be constructive, but there's still the possibility that two different opinions encounter eachother. However should there be any problems with other member and you feel attacked, please contact NadineTink, Rell or myself. We'll try to handle it via a staff member.
Thank you.

The End of the Dream.

Last edited by Tenshi; November 8th, 2007 at 12:13 am.
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:04 am
Snape Lover

Re: General ConCrit Thread For Graphics

ooo, great idea Tenshi! Hopefully this will be really successful. I've thought about a thread like this before, but didn't think it would happen

Old November 8th, 2007, 12:25 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala_way View Post
ooo, great idea Tenshi! Hopefully this will be really successful. I've thought about a thread like this before, but didn't think it would happen
I hope that a lot of people take part on it. *bribes with chocolate*

The End of the Dream.
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:35 am
Zonko's Employee

No need to bribe me with chocolate! Thiis is a great way to assure that the other graphics threads stay more or less on topic. Good Job, guys! (Is that considered constructive! )

Before I post any images I would like to ask a few questions, if I may....

What is your focus when you work? Do you work with the theme interpretation or do you work with visuals first? Do you wing it (my usual ) or do you plan color palettes, effects desired, etc?

How do you choose your subject? I know in the contest we all are given a subject but how do you choose within that subject? Especially with HP actors who have done alot of work. What do you try to convey?

Within the context of the contest what do you look for when voting? Unique interpretation, style, visuals, special effects? When does simple work? When does complex work? (I'm thinking animation here or multiple layers/images.)

Old November 8th, 2007, 1:22 am
[user title]

I was looking for a thread like this the other day. Thanks for opening it Tenshi.
Can we use it to help us decide on out graphics contest entries? I have two different backgrounds for the DA Siggy and can't decide which to use.

Old November 8th, 2007, 1:57 am
Snape Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
Well, obviously there are a thousand different ways to approach it, but I'll try to explain what I do.

What is your focus when you work? Do you work with the theme interpretation or do you work with visuals first? Do you wing it (my usual ) or do you plan color palettes, effects desired, etc?
Sometimes I'll see a picture I love and just have to mess with it/make something out of it. But more often, I come up with a concept/setup first and then find the pictures, textures, colors, fonts, etc. to fit. I find it really difficult to make something without a "muse" by that I mean, an idea of what I want to do not just a topic. That's why I rarely do all of the topics in the graphics contest (and why LIMS is a challenge!).
How do you choose your subject? I know in the contest we all are given a subject but how do you choose within that subject? Especially with HP actors who have done a lot of work. What do you try to convey?
I try to be creative and do something different (which sometimes turns out like ****). If the subject was "Harry Potter", I'd troll through my screencaps to find a picture I'd never seen used before, and try to use a technique I'd never used before. I look through lots of livejournal icon & tutorial pages and save the ones that I really like, and use their setups and techniques.
Within the context of the contest what do you look for when voting? Unique interpretation, style, visuals, special effects? When does simple work? When does complex work? (I'm thinking animation here or multiple layers/images.)
Honestly, I think the #1 thing I look for is cleanliness! I don't like (accidentally) messy icons. Graininess where it should & could be smooth, blurry images where they should & could be sharp, messy edges...you get the idea. That's my biggest pet peeve. Second, I look for creativity--an interesting take on the subject, a well executed technique that goes well with the topic. Not just a cropped picture with a border around it and some text slapped on--I think that's just a bit lazy. Though, I obviously don't say this because sometimes it's hard to tell how much effort people put in, but if you can't see it...
I forgot to answer about the "complex" part. Some things can be extremely simple and yet very effective, or complex to make and yet look very simple. I tend to dislike things that are really busy, 4 opaque photo layers on top of each other, that sort of thing. But it all depends on the execution.
So that's as honestly as I can answer, and what I at least try to strive for, if I don't always quite get there.

Last edited by kala_way; November 8th, 2007 at 2:06 am.
Old November 8th, 2007, 2:08 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
How do you choose your subject? I know in the contest we all are given a subject but how do you choose within that subject? Especially with HP actors who have done a lot of work. What do you try to convey?
I try to be creative and do something different (which sometimes turns out like ****). If the subject was "Harry Potter", I'd troll through my screencaps to find a picture I'd never seen used before, and try to use a technique I'd never used before. I look through lots of livejournal icon & tutorial pages and save the ones that I really like, and use their setups and techniques.
I like trying new techniques too! I was really psyched about my special challenge entry and even more psyched that it got a vote or two. I've never tried that mosaic technique before...although it COULD have been better...

Quote:
Honestly, I think the #1 thing I look for is cleanliness! I don't like (accidentally) messy icons. Graininess where it should & could be smooth, blurry images where they should & could be sharp, messy edges...you get the idea.
For the longest time I over used the blur tool because I am still not fluent with masking...I've tried really hard to develop alternate techniques to cover my deficiencies in that regard (love the liquify filter here). I think my pet peeve is visual overload i.e there is so much going on I'm not sure where the main focus should be...

Old November 8th, 2007, 2:44 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyteller
I was looking for a thread like this the other day. Thanks for opening it Tenshi.
Can we use it to help us decide on out graphics contest entries? I have two different backgrounds for the DA Siggy and can't decide which to use.
Hmmm I am much in favour when you let us decide after the voting. I think it's unfair towards other people who don't let other people decide before hand which one is better. And you aren't going to win anything special in the Contest anyway. It's just for fun.
Later you can ask if the other image was better and then you can use the suggestions for future images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post

I first see that the graphics I make fit the topic. That's important for other contests I take part on (but there the image is mostly provided). The main thing when I found the right image is to look what you can do with it. Some images are not suited for several styles, so I use another one. I don't plan before how exactly the icon shall look like in the end. I start and add layers and textures and play around with curves etc, till I like the result. But usually the ones I make are pretty simple first and then I try give it the final touch in the end.

Quote:
How do you choose your subject? I know in the contest we all are given a subject but how do you choose within that subject? Especially with HP actors who have done alot of work. What do you try to convey?
When there's a topic given (and in most cases it is), then I search for several images that fit under that topic. For example I get several Lupin images and from this images I decide which one is most suited for making a good icon out of it. That decides the composition of the image (Lupin alone is far better than him surrounded by zillions of other things), the quality and whether you can crop it properly.

Quote:
I am looking after the quality of the images ( too oversharpened or too blurry one is a no go for me), if it's cluttered full with textures (the more subtle the better). Complex icons can be nice, but often people overdo it and clutter it full with several images and then howmany layers on the top. Simplicity is the key word here. I also look at the colouring and various other things.
I never look after the unique interpretation or if there were used special effects, only after the way the images were done.

The End of the Dream.
Old November 8th, 2007, 9:00 pm
Fourth Year

This thread is a great idea! Someday soon once I've made more graphics I will post for some concrit.

SHIP OF THE MOMENT:
Usako and Mamo-chan
Old November 9th, 2007, 4:09 am
Third Year

I stopped in to check this out and was amused to see there are no graphix posted yet.

TTFN

Old November 9th, 2007, 5:20 am
Hogwarts Graduate

No one wants to be first huh? I guess I'll start out

So, here's a variety of things I've done - I would really like to hear things that I could improve on, and also, techniques that you guys think I could use to enhance the icons I'm making. I'm not looking so much for specific critiques of individual icons (though you're welcome to give them!) as much as general techniques and strategies that I could be using to improve my style.

For reference, I am using GIMP.

Thanks

HP related:

Not HP related:

Last edited by Rell; November 9th, 2007 at 5:30 am.
Old November 9th, 2007, 6:39 am
Snape Lover

yay for being brave to go first Rell!
Hopefully I can be helpful I'll try to put a set of my own up this weekend so I can take what I give.

I generally really like your style, and can sometimes pick yours from the line up Like I said before I love clean icons and yours are always that! gosh it feels really strange to be critiquing in this sort of format, cause it makes it seem like I should know what I'm talking about...anyway, grain of salt
I guess my general advice would be don't be afraid to go big and "out of bounds" (though not always literally). For example, I love the light effect on the Snape icon, but I'd love it more if it were bigger--balanced still with opacity but highlighting the main event.
Same with the Hermione icon--I love the inset, but I think it would be more effective bigger and offset.
Again, same idea with the Slyth!Harry icon (by the way, I don't remember seeing this before, it's really cool! great idea and love the background coloring!) I think the text would have more *pow* if you used different sizes or even different fonts to mix it up.

So yea generally just going bigger and not being afraid to be purposefully messy or off because it can be really effective.

Old November 9th, 2007, 10:25 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

I am still very much a learner so I'm in here looking for tips but I'll answer the questions anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron
Usually the first thing I do is look for as many good pics as I can find. Then I select the one I want ot use - sometimes I can't decide so I start doing two - although with Helena Bonham Carter I ended up doing four because I found so many great pics of her!
I then fiddle with the colour, contrast, brightness, curves until I get the pic looking how I want for the graphic - so it suits the mood. When choosing colours for text and other features I tend to use the colour picker to select colours from the image itself either in a colour that is harmonious with the main colour or one that contrasts.

Quote:
I tend to try to go with a good quality image that I like(although I have only recently started to appreciate the difference a good quality pic can make); often the image can be quite striking for some reason.

Quote:
I am not especially artistic myself so I do tend to look at the idea and take that into consideration. But often it's just what looks good - and yes often less is more! Sometimes a big space on an icon can look better than lots of text or brushes.

Rell's Icons - not very constructive I'm afraid!
I love the Snape one - and agree with Kala Way that it would look good bigger!
I also love the Harry one - but again I agree with Kala Way that using different fonts and sizes of text would make it even better
I love the colouring on the soap box one - you are very good with colour!

Okay I thought I'd post my Helena Bonham Carter ones -
1:

2:

As I've said I am not particularly artistic so I would really appreciate any constructive criticism - so be brutal!

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending

Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!

Last edited by CathyWeasley; November 9th, 2007 at 10:38 pm.
Old November 10th, 2007, 12:12 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
They are overall really good.
For Hermione: The repeated image is a nice idea, however the frame thing around it isn't working IMO. The way her head is cut isn't looking good. I suggest either make the corner all blue and in b/w.
For the shoes: overall too yellow. I don't know how you achieved it (yellow layer on multiply? blue exclusion? ...) but on lower opacity it would look better IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyWeasly View Post

1: 2: 3. 4.
OK, first general things. It's not necessary to label who the image is showing most times. It also works with no text at all or with other text than simply the name of the person inside the image. The borders around the last two are unnecessary as you hardly see them. And you should try out different font types.

Now to the single one:
1. I like Helena herself, you achieved a good colouring. I would have used a border with straigh lines instead of a frayed one like this or none at all.
2. The image looks too grainy.
3. from the colouring the best here. Nice sublte colours, but the text is taking away the nice look.
4. It looks really simple, that can be a good thing but also a bad one. A lot of people would say you just cropped the images and put a text on it and did nothing else.

The End of the Dream.
Old November 10th, 2007, 1:26 am
Zonko's Employee

Rell, with the Snape one I wasn't sure where you were going with it. The flames could have been more prominent or removed altogether because tthe rest of the picture is very striking. Squiddy is just perfect, IMO. I agree with Tenshi's points of enlarging the font on the Slytherin Harry is on target although the green could have been turned up a notch. As I said Squiddy is great but it works because the background was more monotone bringing the focus to the circle. The Hermione one would have been better suited, imo, had you done the same, made the larger picture more monotone and direct the eye to your smaller circle.

Quote:
When choosing colours for text and other features I tend to use the colour picker to select colours from the image itself either in a colour that is harmonious with the main colour or one that contrasts.
Cathy, this is a great tip! I do this, too and it makes a huge difference.

Quote:
I am not especially artistic myself so I do tend to look at the idea and take that into consideration.
I don't believe that! You are very artistic (your Fenrir avatar actually raised my hackles not to long ago. If you are confident it will show. )

As to your pictures. I agree with many of Tenshi's points but I'll put in my two cents....

You chose great HQ pic of Helena!

In #1 you could lose the border, add a shine, change the font to a type font and had a really wowing picture straight out of a high fashion mag. The composition and colors were spot on though!

With #2 I think you could possibly have worked with the picture more. It looks as if Helena was stepping out of the shower or into the rain. Perhaps a rain or water droplet layer?

#4 I agree with Tenshi, the coloring is great! But the red font doesn't work for me. What about a white font but only use her initials in the upper right corner instead of over her hair?

#5 What about cropping out the right side of her face and focusing on that lovely shawl? A little color dodge to lighten the shadow maybe?

THESE ARE ONLY MY OPINION! You guys blow me away every week so I might just not know what I am talking about!

Old November 10th, 2007, 4:20 am
Snape Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyWeasly View Post
Okay I thought I'd post my Helena Bonham Carter ones -
1: 2: 3. 4.
Simplicity is great (something I need to work on I know) but when an icon's too simple it's like Tenshi said, it looks like you didn't actually do anything to it--just cropped the pic and put text or a border on it. They're beautiful pics no doubt!
1. love the contrast, not crazy about the font or border
2. I like the picture itself, but since it is grainy if you went for a stronger "poster edge" sort of feel it could be interesting.
3. It looks a little awkward because of her positioning. I'm not sure what the original pic was, but I think it would be better if it was not so tightly cropped.
4. Again beautiful pic, but very tightly cropped--makes it feel unbalanced to me.

ok, Here's my set up for critique thanks

HP:

non-HP:

Old November 10th, 2007, 6:46 am
First Year

First for my concrit... =D

Rell:
1. This is so good. The contrast is beautiful and I love the texture! <3
5. This makes me smile too – love the topic, even though I love the squid! The text is great, but something about the texture is kind of strange. Kind of grainy, almost like a watercolor, and that kind of throws me off.
8. Yay. You are my hero. Great topic, and the animation is very fluid and nice. I’m not sure I understand the choice of picture, though.

CathyWeasley:
1. Not a big fan of the border, but love the black and white. Also, Monotype Corsovia makes me shiver *is a font diva*
3. Great cropping! It looks really nice, and the colors are also quite nice. Oh, and the font again =D

kala_way:
1. This is really nice, love the concept. The text in the corner is kind of random, though.
2. Yay, JKR! This is so great, love the notebook in the background!
9. I love the whimsicality of all of this. The coloring is beautiful, and the paper at the bottom is super cool.

You all are awesome graphic designers! Keep working hard =D

Now for mine...

001. 002. 003. 004. 005.

and a few signatures...

feedback=awesome!

| Christians For Harry |

Wombats Level Three: Outstanding!
(pwned.)
Old November 10th, 2007, 10:23 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Thanks for all the info guys - that really helps - and I can really see how they would improve the icons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodaspill
Monotype Corsovia makes me shiver *is a font diva*
I know what you mean!

I don't feel qualified to critic others work so I'll just give my opinions.
Kala Way - Your icons always blow me away!
Sodaspill - Ditto - I just LOVE that Lucius Malfoy one! - Question: I don't "get" why Ron's eyes have been blacked out in 01 - I'm obviously missing the reference

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending

Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!
Old November 10th, 2007, 7:00 pm
Master of Divination

I would try to comment more if I had time (I still have to do my LIMS entry...), but I just wanted to say that I thought that this one was really funny when I first saw it. I missed the voting that week in the graphics contest, but it would have had my vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SodaSpill

Old November 10th, 2007, 10:57 pm
First Year

Quote:
Sodaspill - Ditto - I just LOVE that Lucius Malfoy one! - Question: I don't "get" why Ron's eyes have been blacked out in 01 - I'm obviously missing the reference
Thank you!

And, I dunno really why I did that either. I think I might have seen some icons where they did that and thought it looked cool. It was kind of experimental, I guess, haha. And I kinda liked the result so I thought I'd see what you all think.

| Christians For Harry |

Wombats Level Three: Outstanding!
(pwned.)
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Magical Masterpieces