Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Alfred Hitchcock Movies

Old October 28th, 2009, 9:47 am
Secret Keeper

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post
The Lady Vanishes is a special treat that all should experience.
I'm watching it right now (http://www.hulu.com/watch/63050/the-lady-vanishes) Beginning was a little slow but it is certainly getting interesting now...where did she go?! Was she even real? I am doubting that myself Those were rhetorical questions btw, I DONT want them answered

Sigh, it's late, I'll have to finish this tomorrow...

BTW, I just realized this will have been the 10th Hitchcock movie I've watched! Incidentially I will have seen all of them on the IMDB Top 250 except Psycho...which I plan to watch on Halloween! I am both anxious and scared! There are also some NOT on the IMDB list that I wanna watch-

Suspicion- This is the one film not on the IMDB list I've been wanting to see most...but unfortunately I haven't been able to find it online.

The 39 Steps- I started watching this a few days ago but then switched over to Strangers on a Train. It was alright, odd opening if I say so myself.
I suppose I'll go back and watch it again some day to see if it gets any better. It's one that very nearly cracked the Top 250 (score of 8.0 out of 10)

To Catch A Thief- I've heard it isn't that great and read here that it's boring...but it's Cary Grant/Grace Kelly, which sounds too good to pass up! I've also read that it's more of a romance film than a mystery thriller, but I tend to enjoy both. I dunno, I expect to like it even if it's not exciting.

Frenzy- All I know of this is what I read here- apparently it's one of his lesser known but it's really suspensful...sounds promising.

The Wrong Man- The plot summary sounds interesting at least. Anyone seen this who could tell me more and/or offer their opinion? It is one of the films included in the Alfred Hitchock Signature Collection box set available from Warner Bros, which is something I'm considering buying/asking for.

Saboteur- Didn't really win or was nominated for any awards but apparently this is one of his most under-rated...got a decent score on IMDB at least.

Lifeboat- Haven't seen any mention of it on this thread but it very nearly cracks the IMDB Top 250 list as well so it seems deserving of a watch.

Trouble with Harry- I read in this thread that "it's a lot of fun" That sounds good to me

Foreign Correspondent- Seen this listed on a few Hitchcock Top 10 lists and it was nominated for 6 Oscars including Best Picture, so it might be good

The Man Who Knew Too Much- Apparently there is 2 versions of this film If I watch it though, I think I'll def go with the James Stewart version And it's likely I might watch it sometime since it's another included in one of the box sets I'm considering buying or asking for this Christmas...

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not...but are there any Hitchcock films you guys have seen that you'd actually recommend avoiding?!

I've read that some don't believe there is such a thing as a bad Hitchcock film...that even at the worst he's still watchable. I can't say cause I've only seen those which are his supposed best so far (every one of 'em was in the Top 250). I almost wanna watch a couple lowest rated to see if it is true.

FYI, here is how I've rated them so far (in order from highest to lowest and with the IMDB comparitive rating/ranking listed after)

Rear Window- 97% (8.8/10- Top 250: #17)
Strangers on a Train- 97% (8.3/10- Top 250: #115)
Vertigo- 96% (8.6/10- Top 250: #40)
North By Northwest- 95% (8.6/10- Top 250: #31)
Shadow of a Doubt- 94% (8.2/10- Top 250: #190)
Dial "M" For Murder- 90% (8.1/10- Top 250: #203)
Rope- 87% upon first viewing...dropped to 80% after re-watch though (8.1/10- Top 250: #215)
Notorious- 79% (8.3/10- Top 250: #120)
Rebecca- 77% (8.4/10- Top 250: #80)

Strangely, with the exception of Rope I haven't seen any were just solid "B" (the score I usually give most )...all been either "A" or "C" films...

Also, I find it odd that Rebecca is the only Hitchcock film to win Best Picture and of the others listed there none of them even received a nomination for such! In fact, the 3 Hitchcock films that received Best Picture nominations were Foreign Correspondent, Suspicion, and Spellbound. Speaking of that last, just looked it up and that's def another I'm gonna have to watch. Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck?! Hell yes! They're both incredible

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 28th, 2009 at 11:36 am.
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:35 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post

Strangely, with the exception of Rope I haven't seen any were just solid "B" (the score I usually give most )...all been either "A" or "C" films...
I spoke too soon I finished watching The Lady Vanishes and it is "a solid B" film, in my opinion. Very fun and interesting mystery though.

Quote:

The Lady Vanishes
- 88%

According to what I've read, this was "Hitchcock's penultimate film made in the U.K. before his move to Hollywood". And it's excellent except for the slow beginning. Before long it becomes really entertaining! It is a bit different than the others I've watched. It has got more screwball comedy and there is more prevalent use of guns. Usually when there are guns in his movies, it seems they aren't fired but used more as a threat. Plus, he prefers strangulation as a means of killing The story seems a bit far-fetched but apparently it's based on an actual incident so maybe not There was also a few scenes and/or characters that I didn't understand the purpose of. Overall it's a very solid film though and I think it has a lot of "charm"

While I don't think I'd put this amongst his very best, I could definitely see myself watching it again! Reading through the FAQ's here, I think it's a film you pick up more on furthing watchings. There are some things I missed. I found it quite unpredictable, but there were some clues apparently...

And as some of you may have noticed based on my posts in the other threads, I did not actually wait until Halloween to watch Psycho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22
Psycho- 98%

A very fitting end to my Hitchcock marathon (well, minus the Bram Stoker's Dracula interruption) over the past few weeks! I think I am going to give his films a rest for a while now, but I'll most def be coming back to them...there are another 10 or so that I want to watch!

So that score actually places it just above Rear Window and Strangers on a Train, but Rear Window is still my fav I think. I'm awarding Psycho the top spot mainly because of the brilliant script...that was the clincher, especially the ending. Cause as you'll notice in my post from the Halloween Movies thread (seen below) up until the end I wasn't nearly as engrossed as I had been with some prevous Hitchcock.

Quote:

Anyways, I started early. I'm watching your #1 there...just couldn't wait! Was dying to watch Hitchcock's most famous. I'm less than 20 minutes from the end. To be honest, so far I don't think it surpasses Rear Window, Vertigo, etc IMO, it's a bit slow actually. So far I'd put it in the high 80's. And it hasn't been near as scary as I was dreading. I suppose it was good for it's time, but I find the shower scene a bit cheesy. In fact, there has really only been one scene that has scared me so far. It was more like the Inferi in HBP, made me jump due to the sudden shock. As a whole though, the film hasn't made much of a lasting impression yet. But maybe I'm speaking too soon I'll edit once I finish and post my complete thoughts. Should I be preparing myself for something that's gonna blow my mind here at the end...?

EDIT:

That ending really was something! Not only did the twist(s) blow my mind (I can't believe I didn't figure it out, considering I've seen both Identity and Fight Club, which are films that copied the basic idea), but the suspense was so heavy I'm not sure I took a breath for minutes at a time My heart was literally racing, and like I was expecting someone to jump out from any corner of every room Alright, that bumps it up a bit...it's on par with those aforementioned
I feel this is worthy of a few re-watches at least, in part cause I want to see if I missed any clues...and also to try to spot any plot-holes

So I've done it now. Watched all 11 of his films on the IMDB Top 250! And based on those, Hitchcock has easily become my fav director!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 31st, 2009 at 12:04 pm.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 6:14 am
Secret Keeper

Does anyone know if Psycho...

Spoiler: show

...was the first film to utilize the split personality twist? I know many films have copied this idea since 1960, but I'm curious if Hitchcock was the first to come up with this. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case, since he pioneered so many things. I've seen quite a few other films where this sort of twist is employed (some to great effect) but personally I think it was best used the first time around...or at least in what I think might have been the first. I haven't seen enough films released before Psycho to really say.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 2nd, 2009 at 10:46 am.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 8:04 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Dr. Jekylll and Mr. Hyde.

Sometimes dreams do come true

Last edited by ComicBookWorm; November 2nd, 2009 at 8:08 am.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:46 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Dr. Jekylll and Mr. Hyde.
Huh? You mean that was the first? What year was that?

Except, that wasn't really utilized a twist, was it? Isn't that aspect of his character made known from the start?

IMDB Plot summary (seen below) even says it, so it's hardly a twist. The following is nothing more than you'd read on the back of the DVD

Quote:
Dr. Jekyll faces horrible consequences when he lets his dark side run wild with a potion that changes him into the animalistic Mr. Hyde

So I'll ask again- Anyone know the 1st film to use the split personality notion as a twist? Was Hitchcock indeed the first director to do such?

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 2nd, 2009 at 11:00 am.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 7:37 am

Hitchcock did, but I can't tell you which film since you haven't seen it.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 8:42 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Hitchcock did, but I can't tell you which film since you haven't seen it.
Interesting.

Can you at least say the decade? Was it actually one of his more reputable films or one I'm likely to never give a thought to seeing anyways?

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 3rd, 2009 at 8:52 am.
Old November 4th, 2009, 9:32 am

I don't want to spoil it for you. It was one of his respected movies, though not one of my favorites.

I have seen all of Hitchcock's movie a zillion times each. You can often catch them at TCM or AMC during a Hitchcock festival. I've also rented others from Netflix. I've even seen his obscure first movies. I definitely am a Hitchcock nut. The Lady Vanishes is a screwball comedy/mystery, and if you aren't a Brit, it needs to be seen a few times to pick up some of the throwaway lines. There are a few gems like that. I also think that The 39 Steps was a hybrid screwball comedy/thriller. I liked Foreign Correspondent too for its ligher moments. Quite a few of his movies had devilish dark humor moments, but few had outright comedy after he became more well known. I'd think that North by Northwest managed to have some humor (why waste Cary Grant's charm?)

Old November 4th, 2009, 10:15 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
I don't want to spoil it for you. It was one of his respected movies, though not one of my favorites.
Well, thank you for not wanting to spoil it...but if it's not on this list I previously posted I'm likely to never watch it. Although he has easily become my fav director, I don't plan to watch every one of his films As said before, these are the others I likely will watch sometime

Quote:

Suspicion- The 1 film not on the IMDB list I've been wanting to see most...but unfortunately haven't been able to find it online.

The 39 Steps- I started watching this a few days ago but then switched over to Strangers on a Train. It was alright, odd opening if I say so myself. I suppose I'll go back and watch it again some day to see if it gets any better. It's one that very nearly cracked the Top 250 (score of 8.0 out of 10)

To Catch A Thief- I've heard it isn't that great and read here that it's boring...but it's Cary Grant/Grace Kelly, which sounds too good to pass up! I've also read that it's more of a romance film than a mystery thriller, but I tend to enjoy both. I dunno, I expect to like it even if it's not exciting.

Frenzy- All I know is what I read here- apparently it's one of his lesser known but it's really suspensful...sounds promising.

The Wrong Man- The plot summary sounds interesting at least. Anyone seen this who could tell me more and/or offer their opinion? It is one of the films included in the Alfred Hitchock Signature Collection box set available from Warner Bros, which is something I'm considering buying/asking for.

Saboteur- Didn't really win or was nominated for any awards but apparently this is one of his most under-rated...got a decent score on IMDB at least.

Lifeboat- Haven't seen any mention of it on this thread but it very nearly cracks the IMDB Top 250 list as well so it seems deserving of a watch.

Trouble with Harry- I read in this thread that "it's a lot of fun" That sounds good to me

Foreign Correspondent- Seen this listed on a few Hitchcock Top 10 lists and it was nominated for 6 Oscars including Best Picture, so it might be good

The Man Who Knew Too Much- Apparently there is 2 versions of this film

If I watch it though, I think I'll def go with the James Stewart version And it's likely I might watch it sometime since it's another included in one of the box sets I'm considering buying or asking for this Christmas...

Spellbound- A Best Picture nominee with Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck?! Sounds hard to go wrong with this one!
Since you've "seen all of Hitchcock's movies" (literally? ) I was wondering if you'd be willing to share further thoughts on these films.

Are there any you recommend avoiding...or is there truly no such thing as a "bad" Hitchcock film?

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 4th, 2009 at 10:23 am.
Old November 5th, 2009, 7:37 am

I'd recommend seeing the earlier Man Who Knew Too Much, although the more recent one is better known. The more recent one has Doris Day, and she even sings in it--blech (although Jimmy Stewart is fine). The Trouble with Harry was a lot of fun, although not a typical Hitchcock movie. It's one of his few later movies with humor. Frenzy is gripping. To Catch a Thief has never done that much for me, but I love Cary Grant and he saves the movie. Suspicion is good, although they changed the ending. Be sure to watch The 39 Steps since it is almost as much fun as The Lady Vanishes. Foreign Correspondent was more a straight adventure movie, than a typical Hitchcock thriller, but still very enjoyable.

I didn't like The Wrong Man all that much. It was rather drab, deliberately so, but that doesn't change the fact that it was drab. It taps into one his favorite themes of being wrongly accused and mistreated by the authorities. Saboteur, North by Northwest, To Catch a Thief, The 39 Steps all use this theme. Torn Curtain has Paul Newman, and mostly it's only so so, but it has a an amazing death struggle that is quite famous. Lifeboat is one that I tend to avoid. I've seen it a few times. The people are all too unpleasant, even though they're supposed to be. Spellbound has Ingrid Berman and Gregory Peck, how could you go wrong. It's got a great Salvador Dali sequence. Maybe too much Freudianism, but it was all the rage back then. Peck was also in The Paradine Case, which is only interesting because of the pent up sexual subtext.

Saboteur is good and is underrated, and it ends with a scene reminiscent of the end of North by Northwest. You should try to find the silent version of Hitchcock's The Lodger. It was one of his earlier films, but it showed all the elements you would eventually see in his later films. It's been remade several times, but only the silent version had Hitchcock. It has wonderful atmospherics. Sabotage (as opposed to Saboteur) is quite good and it has a doozy of a scene with child and a bomb.

Old November 5th, 2009, 4:50 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
I'd recommend seeing the earlier Man Who Knew Too Much, although the more recent one is better known. The more recent one has Doris Day, and she even sings in it--blech (although Jimmy Stewart is fine). The Trouble with Harry was a lot of fun, although not a typical Hitchcock movie. It's one of his few later movies with humor. Frenzy is gripping. To Catch a Thief has never done that much for me, but I love Cary Grant and he saves the movie. Suspicion is good, although they changed the ending. Be sure to watch The 39 Steps since it is almost as much fun as The Lady Vanishes. Foreign Correspondent was more a straight adventure movie, than a typical Hitchcock thriller, but still very enjoyable.

I didn't like The Wrong Man all that much. It was rather drab, deliberately so, but that doesn't change the fact that it was drab. It taps into one his favorite themes of being wrongly accused and mistreated by the authorities. Saboteur, North by Northwest, To Catch a Thief, The 39 Steps all use this theme. Torn Curtain has Paul Newman, and mostly it's only so so, but it has a an amazing death struggle that is quite famous. Lifeboat is one that I tend to avoid. I've seen it a few times. The people are all too unpleasant, even though they're supposed to be. Spellbound has Ingrid Berman and Gregory Peck, how could you go wrong. It's got a great Salvador Dali sequence. Maybe too much Freudianism, but it was all the rage back then. Peck was also in The Paradine Case, which is only interesting because of the pent up sexual subtext.

Saboteur is good and is underrated, and it ends with a scene reminiscent of the end of North by Northwest. You should try to find the silent version of Hitchcock's The Lodger. It was one of his earlier films, but it showed all the elements you would eventually see in his later films. It's been remade several times, but only the silent version had Hitchcock. It has wonderful atmospherics. Sabotage (as opposed to Saboteur) is quite good and it has a doozy of a scene with child and a bomb.
Hey, thanks!

I was thinking of watching some silent films actually, just to see what that's all about. I was gonna start with City Lights (at a friend's rec)

But I'll go with The Lodger instead...what better than Hitchcock?

Old November 6th, 2009, 12:58 am

There are three non-Hitchcock silents you should see besides City Lights. You should see Metropolis, Nosferatu. and Georges Melies' Le voyage dans la lune (you probably know this already, but it's a classic 1902 adaptation of Jules Verne's From Earth to the Moon).

Old November 6th, 2009, 4:15 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Are there any you recommend avoiding...or is there truly no such thing as a "bad" Hitchcock film?
Mr. And Mrs. Smith is widely considered to be his worst. I've seen it, and I can see why. It is his attempt at a comedy. It didn't work.

ETA: Ditto on Nosferatu. It is truly a great silent horror movie.

Can you find the frog? Click here for an enlarged image.

“Whether you come back by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.”
― J.K. Rowling

"She boiled her brain."- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by halfbreedlover; November 6th, 2009 at 4:18 am.
Old November 6th, 2009, 5:55 am

You can't beat Nosferatu for dark, chilling imagery.

Old November 8th, 2009, 3:48 am
Seventh Year

I watched Hitchcock's final film, Family Plot (1976), on TCM earlier today. It's entertaining enough, but not a standout: nothing particularly wrong with it, but nothing particularly great about it either. John Williams does a decent pseudo-Bernard Hermann score, but that mostly just made me miss Bernard Hermann. The film isn't straight-up black comedy, but it's more comedic moments were the most enjoyable for me.

Old November 10th, 2009, 12:40 pm
Secret Keeper

I watched The Lodger...or rather maybe I should say I finally finished it I fell asleep 3 times (never making it further than the first 10 min part on Youtube) but I think this was more to do with the fact that whenever I tried watching it I was insanely tired than being an un-interesting film. Plus "silent" films aren't the easiest to stay awake to. It's easier I think to doze off when there is no dialogue to listen to.

I tried reviewing it in the "rate the last" film thread-

Quote:
The Lodger-

Uh, I don't have much idea how to rate this...it's a silent film. It obviously would have been better with spoken dialogue, but it was alright for what it was. There are early hints within it of Hitchcock's genius and there is still a moderate level of suspense despite the lack of sound. I couldn't really understand the logic behind the dialogue chosen for the title cards. Some of it was helpful for comprehension and others were quite pointless. I don't understand why films had to be silent in the first place. And why have the actors say their lines or move their lips or whatever when you can't hear what is being said? Plus, they aren't really "silent" (as you'd think the name implies) cause there is still music heard, which contributed nicely. So I'm not sure how they were able to put a soundtrack in but voices. "Jack the Ripper" types always make for interesting story but picture quality was so terrible it was barely watchable. Ok, lets see if I can rate it now...

Acting- 6.5

Script- 7.5

Visuals- 6

Sound- 6.5

Editing- 7

Total Score- 67%

You know, I didn't even think to look for some of these Hitchcock films on Youtube. However, as I said the picture quality was terrible and barely worth watching. I'm wondering if that is just how the actual print looked though. It is such an old B/W film I would not be surprised.

I think I'm gonna watch Suspicion (one I've really been wanting to see) next, cause I just discovered someone put it on Youtube also!

Hopefully the picture quality is much better with this one though. If you're interested- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0McvhTS-Fos

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 10th, 2009 at 12:48 pm.
Old November 11th, 2009, 5:57 pm
Sixth Year

I really enjoy Hitchcock. My top 5 are:

Frenzy
Rear Window
Shadow of a Doubt
Rope
Psycho

The one which I just didn't 'get' was Vertigo, perhaps because I was expecting it to be very good so was bound to be disappointed.

Recently I just watched the Michael Powell film Peeping Tom which I heartily recommend to any Hitchcock fans. He worked with Hitchcock early in his career and the two were friends. It came out a few months before Psycho and has a lot of similarities and also reminded me of Frenzy quite a bit (which perhaps shows how ahead of its time it was since it was 12 years before Frenzy). It seems a shame that it didn't do too well when it came out although it has become a cult classic now. While the notoriety of Psycho helped establish Hitchcock as one of the best directors of all time Peeping Tom pretty much killed off Powell's career which is a shame. Anyway, it was well worth seeing.

Old November 12th, 2009, 12:24 am

@lcbaseball22 The movies were silent because there was no technology for a soundtrack at the time. When they were shown in theaters there no sound at all, just a live organist playing during the movie--sometimes to a planned music score and other times whatever the organist felt would work after seeing the film a bunch of times. Later on a soundtrack was added onto to silent films, once they had the technology for "talkies." Restoration purists try to add the original music score to the soundtrack, if they can identify it.

Actors didn't always say their lines in silent films. But it did seem to help them be in mood for the scene to recite the proper lines. Singin' in the Rain, makes fun of how actors didn't always say their lines, but said other things instead.

If you haven't seen Singin' in the Rain, by all means do. It is a pure delight and it gives a good (however comical) feel for the change that talkies brought to movies. There actually were actors whose careers failed since they couldn't make the transition. They either had funny voices, couldn't say their lines, or couldn't drop the hyperbolic overacting needed for silent movies.

Old November 16th, 2009, 9:25 am
Secret Keeper

Thanks for explaining silent movies, ComicBookWorm That makes more sense now. And funny you should mention Singin' in the Rain, cause my friend actually said the other day how great it was, despite being a musical. I may give it a watch sometime to see for myself

But anyways, back to Hitchcock. So over the last few days I watched Suspicion and Spellbound (2 out of the 4 nominated for Best Picture)

Quote:

Suspicion-

Jeez, I feel so manipulated!

Quite possibly one of the most unpredictable films I've seen...so many unexpected twists and turns!

It's slow moving at first but after the 30 min. it becomes highly entertaining. Wonderfully crafted by Hitchcock. Like every shot and bit of dialogue and such seems to serve the purpose of building uh...suspicion! The highlight of the film and the reason it really works though is the acting. I don't believe the film would have been nearly as effective at building tension if not for the fantastic lead performances. Cary Grant pulls off the role of a charming yet mysterious man with a possible dark side to perfection. I just wish he'd have stopped calling her "monkey face" cause it got really annoying But it's Joan Fontaine's performance that really stands out. I can certainly see why she won the Oscar for Best Actress for this film. BTW, I've read the ending was another case of studio interference and I know many didn't like it...
Spoiler: show

...but I think it works alright and I found it ambigeous, which I thought was good here. From what I've read, Hitchcock's original ending was for Lina to be drink the milk Jonnie gives her...and die because it's poisoned. However, the studio wouldn't allow Cary Grant to be a murderer so Hitchcock had to come up with a twist ending, which many have considered "forced". I got the feeling though that he might have been lying once again and I still feared for her safety even though in the new ending he explains everything and seems innocent.

Acting- 10
Script- 8.5
Visuals- 9.5
Sound- 7.5
Editing- 9.0

Total Score = 89%
Quote:

My friend was over at the house and wished to see a Hitchcock film but figured I'd rather it be one I'd hadn't seen so we chose...

Spellbound-

Well, I think the title is appropriate...it's spellbinding!

And as unpredictable as ever! It leads you to conclusion after wrong conclusion until the very end. Now, the Fruedian psychoanalysis aspect seems illogical/dated, but for the year 1945 wasn't it cutting edge? Besides, as Hitchcock himself said- "My dear, it's only a movie"

My friend sorta disliked it due to this implausibility but...

Should overlook that and see its brilliance. Incredibly fascinating and entertaining film with really cool cinematography, including a wacky dream sequence designed by Salvador Dali (a famous surrealist painter) and a scene where a couple frames are shown in color () in what is otherwise an entirely black and white film. But I really couldn't begin to do justice to all the memorable shots in this film. The acting was great as well. Ingrid Berman once again proves herself as one of the greatest actresses of all time and I'm very surprised she wasn't at least nominated for an Oscar for her performance in this movie. Alongside Bergman is a very young Gregory Peck, who actually bears an eerie resemblance to Norman Bates from Hitchcock's later masterpiece, Psycho And while his performance is nothing close to the greatness of his later work (most notably in To Kill A Mockingbird) I think it's still very good. You know, I guess the only really bad thing about this film is I may have to watch it again (hmm, that doesn't sound so bad does it?) cause the plot was so convoluted I'm not sure I understood it all.

Acting- 9
Script- 9
Visuals- 10
Sound- 9
Editing- 9

Total Score = 92%
As you can see, I thought they were both great but those scores fail to surpass the masterpieces that were NOT Best Picture nominations.

Oh, and this is directed @ ComicBookWorm- Is Spellbound the film that you were referring to in response to my question about Psycho?

Also, I was wondering if you could possibly rank his feature films from 1 to 53 since you've supposedly seen all of 'em. That'd be interesting.

Or if that's too difficult how about just those you think are the best 10?

Last edited by lcbaseball22; November 16th, 2009 at 9:28 am.
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:26 am
Zonko's Employee

Which ones have you seen?

Rebecca
Notorious
Spellbound
Rear Window
North by North West
Vertigo
Psycho
The Birds
Marnie

Shockingly, for some reason I have never seen Dial M for Murder.

Which ones would you recommend?

All of the above, except Marnie : it's very histrionic and I find the gender politics ludicrous (and offensive) and the psychology clumsy. Not recommended viewing for anyone not familiar with Hitchcock and how brilliant he usually is.

I don't like his 1973 Frenzy either.

Last edited by Pearl_Took; November 16th, 2009 at 11:28 am.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion