Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Alfred Hitchcock Movies

Old October 12th, 2009, 10:04 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: Alfred Hitchcock Movies

Well, no. Gone With the Wind has a reputation that's hugely overinflated, but still based on reputation--maybe it's similar.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2009, 5:23 pm
Secret Keeper

I watched my first Hitchcock film last night!

I went with North by Northwest. I don't have time to review it right now but I'll say that it def lived up to it's reputation.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old October 16th, 2009, 2:09 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
If you want some advice, I'd begin by North by Northwest or Rear Window, which, apart of mystery, have a good dose of Hitchcock's quite special sense of humour.
Thanks!

I watched Rear Window...and it was even better! (I'd likely put this in my Top 10) North by Northwest was a Top 25 film for me, BTW

I know he has like 9 other films on the IMDB Top 250 list, but I'm not sure which I should watch next Any suggestions? I am afraid I may have seen the best one (I know Rear Window is commonly considered his best or one of them at least) and it's downhill from here

I think I might try to watch all of those remaining 9 in due time though.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 16th, 2009 at 2:18 am.
Old October 16th, 2009, 8:01 am
Sixth Year

Rebecca is another masterpiece, with one of the best villains in History (I won't tell you who), though it's a full drama. However, if you enjoyed James Stewart in Rear Window, he is even better in Vertigo.

Old October 16th, 2009, 8:20 am
Sixth Year

Wasn't a fan of Rebecca honestly.

Vertigo and Psycho are my favorites, especially the latter (as I've discussed with lc already). If you loved Stewart's performances, but want something a little less heart pundingly terrifying, go with Rope. It's my favorite Stewart performance too, once he enters the room, he commands the scene, you can almost feel the other actors shake, which goes with their character's feelings, so all is well.

Old October 17th, 2009, 11:02 am
Secret Keeper

Thank you both for the suggestions!

DML talked me into Rope...wasn't the best but certainly still great and interesting. I just wish that Stewart had been in the whole thing.

I also just finished watching Dial M for Murder. I do plan to see Psycho sometime...but I'm not much of a fan of the horror genre and I'm rarely in the mood for such. Although, with Halloween coming up I figure that might get me in the mood, so I'll try watching it then.

In the next few weeks leading up to then, my plan is to watch as many Hitchcock films as possible and cap off the marathon with Psycho

I think the next I'll watch is Vertigo

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 17th, 2009 at 11:12 am.
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:13 pm
Eldest Gruff

Vertigo is among my most favourite by Hitchcock.

Don't worry about Psycho. Just as in the 'criminal' pieces, the movies aren't so much creepy than nowadays horror movies which mostly work with immediate horror effects. They're definitely masterpieces and you get some uncomfortable feelings, but the horror is (mostly) build up slowly, more arty.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:37 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
Vertigo is among my most favourite by Hitchcock.
Cool, well AFI does list it as the #1 Mystery film so I like the sound of that...sounds promising. Incidentally, Rear Window, North by Northwest, and Dial M For Murder also make the list of Top 10 Mystery films and those make up 3 of the 4 Hitchcock films I've seen

http://www.afi.com/10top10/mystery.html

Quote:
Don't worry about Psycho. Just as in the 'criminal' pieces, the movies aren't so much creepy than nowadays horror movies which mostly work with immediate horror effects. They're definitely masterpieces and you get some uncomfortable feelings, but the horror is (mostly) build up slowly, more arty.
Yeah, that's what I've been told...but can't that be worse? If I'm not mistaken I've heard it mentioned as one of the best/scariest...

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 17th, 2009 at 12:40 pm.
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Yeah, that's what I've been told...but can't that be worse? If I'm not mistaken I've heard it mentioned as one of the best/scariest...
Yay, actually that can be worse. I was a bit leaded by my preferences. Can't watch all these "cheap" horror movies like The Grudge, because I get quite scared for weeks. The good horror leaves me with a good thrill, but it doesn't scare me in that silly way.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:04 pm
Secret Keeper

So I did indeed watch Vertigo next (review quoted below) and it was excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22

I watched yet another Hitchock movie and at the risk of sounding cliché...

Vertigo- 96%

Well, the plot is quite implausible but I was so drawn in that I didn't realize this until afterwards...when I was reflecting back on the film. If you can overlook this minor issue I believe this is truly a cinematic masterpiece! All that's holding me back from giving it an even higher score than Rear Window is a personal distaste for the ending (an abrupt one yet again, but I can't deny it was brilliant even if I didn't like how it turned out) and as such Rear Window remains my favorite Hitchcock movie for the moment, with this coming in a very close 2nd. It's not quite as suspenseful but it lives up to it's reputation as a "psychological thriller" and the twists caught me by complete surprise I must say. As for the acting, Stewart gives a terrifying but extraordinary performance. He's been fantastic in everything I've seen but his role here was different...a side I hadn't seen before. And Kim Novac is another stunning blonde beauty who holds her own alongside Stewart.

I found the filming style very interesting. The "Vertigo effect" was particularly awesome and yes, "unsettling" (as the following article says)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertigo_effect

The use of color during select scenes was pretty cool as well...for instance during the dream sequence (partly seen below)

Then came Notorious-
Quote:

Anyways, so continuing on with my Hitchcock marathon...and IMO, he comes back down to earth a bit with this one

Notorious- 79%

It still had a lot of his brilliance but it was rather dull at moments. Something about it just didn't grab me like his previous thrillers and I didn't feel as if there was much of an emotional attachment established with characters, so you could care less what happened to them.

The romance also developed abruptly (not un-common though) and I didn't sense much chemistry between Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman.

It might still make my Top 100, but just barely...

BTW, some interesting trivia I've read-

The "on again, off again" kiss is historically famous as it was Hitchcock's way of skirting around an old code that limited kisses to 3 sec
And the last I just watched, was Shadow of a Doubt-

Quote:
Shadow of A Doubt- 94%

Supposedly Hitchcock once stated that this was his personal favorite of the films he directed. While it isn't my favorite, I can see why it could be someone else's. Set aside a couple lame scenes (the main one being the ending) and some odd dialogue that occured at times and you have another masterpiece. BTW, I think it's best to watch this without any prior knowledge. I'd only read the plot summary on IMDB (basically spoiler free, like what's on the back of a DVD box, you know?) but that was enough to diminish some of the suspense for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post
Notorious is my favorite, too.
Hmm, while still very good I'd have to say Notorious is actually my least favorite so far...

However, I should mention that I re-watched Rope (cause my dad hadn't seen it) and it was kinda boring the 2nd time through. I'd drop my score on that one down into the low 80's (actually 80% even). It just takes too long to really become compelling (which occurs once James Stewart appears)

Hey, so I had a question that I asked in the "rate the last film" thread but I didn't get a response. I presume I am more likely to here...

Does anyone know how much of Hitchcock's work is adaptations based on plays, novels, etc?

Not that there is anything wrong with this, but it seems like hardly any of it is his own original material.

Oh, and any further recommendations or thoughts...these are the rest that I'm considering watching

The Lady Vanishes
The 39 Steps
Rebecca
To Catch A Thief
Strangers on a Train
Frenzy
The Wrong Man
Saboteur
Lifeboat
Trouble with Harry
Foreign Correspondent
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Psycho

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 28th, 2009 at 10:51 am.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 9:19 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Notorious is one of his best. It focuses more on characterization than do some of his films with outstanding performances from Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Rains.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:31 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post
Notorious is one of his best. It focuses more on characterization than do some of his films with outstanding performances from Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Rains.
Nah, I really can't agree there. I loved both of them in previous work I've seen, but in Notorious I thought they were just average and there was a lack of chemistry between them. I also didn't find Bergman's character very likeable so I wasn't terribly concerned for her safety.

I do however agree about Claude Rains. He was just as good (if not better) as he was in Casablanca, in other words...outstanding again

Anyways, I just finished Strangers on a Train and I would have to say this one actually is "one of his best"

Yes, it's "implausible" but soo damn good. The suspense was nearly unbearable at times. I have but a few nitpicks- Hitchcock's daugher was annoying, tennis sequence was dragged out a bit too much as was the carousel scene at the end...but wow, that scene was CRAZY!

As for the acting-

Well, I liked Farley Granger's performance infinitely more than in Rope And Robert Walker...that guy gave me the creeps! Gotta be the best performance I've seen in a Hitchcock film, which is saying something. I'm shocked to discover he didn't even get an Oscar nom!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 23rd, 2009 at 11:44 am.
Old October 24th, 2009, 8:41 am
Sixth Year

Icebaseball - Now I only can remember Rebecca, which is an adaptation of the novel (same title) by Daphne du Maurier. If you have time, I recommend you to read it after you've seen the movie, to notice the few but important changes that AH had to do to please the studio. I once had to read the book in English for the language school, and I remember a couple of questions in the exam where precisely about those points in which book and film differ. I guess the teacher wanted to make sure that people had actually read the book instead just watched the film... (fortunately for me, I had done both )

Old October 26th, 2009, 7:01 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Rebecca is another masterpiece, with one of the best villains in History (I won't tell you who), though it's a full drama.
I just watched it, but wouldn't call it a "masterpiece". I elaborated a bit in the "rate the last film" thread. But I'm curious, who is the "villain" you're referring to...title character? I don't think it's a good thing when I'm not even sure who you mean after having watched the film

Old October 26th, 2009, 7:03 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
I just watched it, but wouldn't call it a "masterpiece". I elaborated a bit in the "rate the last film" thread. But I'm curious, who is the "villain" you're referring to...title character? I don't think it's a good thing when I'm not even sure who you mean after having watched the film
My first thought was that that refers to Mrs. Danvers, but it could be her or Rebecca, and I actually see that as a good thing myself.

Old October 26th, 2009, 7:07 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
My first thought was that that refers to Mrs. Danvers, but it could be her or Rebecca, and I actually see that as a good thing myself.
Hmm, I wouldn't call Mrs. Danvers "one of the best villains in history" just for...

Spoiler: show

...being an arsonist. Other than that she was just sinister. And I'm not sure Rebecca was much of a villain either, just a conniving *****

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 26th, 2009 at 7:10 am.
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:49 am
Sixth Year

Well, I meant manipulative-psychotic-sinister-mental-torturer Mrs Danvers...

And, as for your review, Icebaseball, I again recommend you to read the book. That is one of the changes Hitch had to do to please the studio.

In those times, they couldn't show a husband that killed his wife and got no punishment. It was 1940!

Old October 26th, 2009, 2:11 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
I just watched it, but wouldn't call it a "masterpiece". I elaborated a bit in the "rate the last film" thread
If you look at the film as an adaptation of the book and not a Hitchcock film - It is a great piece of work. I read the book first and then watched the film without knowing Hitchcock directed and I have always believed it is a great adaptation.

Hitchcock captures the tone of the book perfectly and I think Fontaine did a great job as the innocent and vulnerable new wife.

My only criticism is for the end of the film (regardless of the change he had to make) Hitchcock shot it like his typical mystery reveal and I didn't think it had the same meandering flow of the book.
The novel is a story which contains a mystery - its not a mystery story, a whodunit or a thriller. The novel is more focused on the narrator trying to meet expectations left by the former Mrs de Winter.

I am gespatchio Oh!
Old October 26th, 2009, 4:31 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Well, I meant manipulative-psychotic-sinister-mental-torturer Mrs Danvers...

And, as for your review, Icebaseball, I again recommend you to read the book. That is one of the changes Hitch had to do to please the studio.

In those times, they couldn't show a husband that killed his wife and got no punishment. It was 1940!
Yeah, I read that on Wiki. So did he get away with it then? I don't remember reading if he did or not. I would imagine so cause I hardly see that note and the speculation of her blackmailing incestuous lover as substantial evidence. Not unless in the book they also found the gun with fingerprints or something else to convict. And not that I approve, but I think I would have felt sympathetic toward Maxim either way.

BTW, I have no desire to read the book. Whether the film is a great adapation or not, the story seems weak even without the change.

But then I guess you can't fault Hitchcock for the flaws of the novel. And all the other film elements were great, but the story keeps it from being a great film, in my opinion. Might just be cause it wasn't what I've come to expect from him though in terms of suspenseful mystery.

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 26th, 2009 at 4:43 pm.
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:30 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Yeah, I read that on Wiki. So did he get away with it then?
If you really want to know and have no interest in the book....

Yes he gets away with Rebecca's murder

Quote:
Whether the film is a great adapation or not, the story seems weak even without the change
It depends what you like to read. Rebecca is a great novel - you get inside the head of the narrator and really feel her vulnerability and paranoia. It has been compared to Jane Eyre and I think this is a fair comparison. But its personal choice - you either like these types of books or you don't.

Quote:
But then I guess you can't fault Hitchcock for the flaws of the novel. And all the other film elements were great, but the story keeps it from being a great film, in my opinion. Might just be cause it wasn't what I've come to expect from him though in terms of suspenseful mystery.
Its not a mystery story, Hitchcock steers it in that direction (probably because its his genre), but he does follow the book faithfully enough, to make it very different to his usual work.

I am gespatchio Oh!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion