Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old October 23rd, 2007, 4:39 pm
The_Green_Woods's Avatar
The_Green_Woods  Undisclosed.gif The_Green_Woods is offline
Always Indy's Girl
 
Joined: 4113 days
Posts: 6,025
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

1. What are your general thoughts on Dumbledore as a character through books 1-7? Do you see a difference in his behavior and/or actions between the books?

Well he comes across from a benevolent old man who was very wise and kind and at the same time extremely strong and prepared to stand up for the underdogs in Books I to IV and from the fifth book we begin to see a powerful, still very wise and still standing up for the less fortunate and everyone who needs his help, but to achieve the desired goals this DD is willing to manipulate people to almost any extent.

2. Throughout the books, Dumbledore seems to always be teaching Harry something, but his lessons are sometimes hidden and subtle. What do you believe are the most important lessons Dumbledore taught Harry? Did Dumbledore adequately prepare Harry for the trials that lie ahead in book 7? Is there anything you think Dumbledore should have told Harry before he died?

He taught Harry to be think before he chose and he taught Harry about the importance of choices and how they would define us and also taught him about the power of love; but he did not prepare Harry in Dueling and also the Dark Arts that Harry should have known -- because he was fighting a side that used only the Dark Arts as it were.

3. What did you think of the revelations of DH regarding Dumbledore's family? How did these tragedies effect the person he is now?

He is, I believe everything because of that terrible tragedy. In one blow he lost his sister, his lover and his dreams -- it must have shattered him completely and from the ashes was born this DD we know and love.

4. Why do you think Dumbledore and Grindelwald were friends? How did Dumbledore's homosexuality affect his susceptibility to Grindelwald's ideas?

Mainly because of the letter DD writes GG where he says he is glad GG was expelled from Durmstrang because he would not have come to Godric's Hollow otherwise.

For the first time Jo says DD found his equal and it helped that GG was good looking and DD was smitten with him.

But I do not think that DD was influenced by GG ideas because DD liked HIM -- remember DD himself had no reason to like muggles; his sister was unstable and his mother dead and his father in Azkaban and DD with the responsibility of the family on his shoulders all because of the nasty muggle bullies who tormented his sister and caused her to become magically unstable.

He agreed with the basic ideas of GG but he did turn a blind eye to the deeper and the more nastier ones because he did not want to lose his friend, lover and equal.


5. Was Dumbledore right to keep so many secrets from so many people? Was this secrecy because of his sister? Because of his own homosexuality?

Well I really do not know how to answer this, maybe it was a combination of the second and third questions or maybe it was his inherent nature to be secretive.

Was he right to do so? DEFINITELY NOT -- In a war of this magnitude he should not have kept so many secrets all to himself. There are unbreakable vows, magical oaths and so many other things he could have used and shared the horcruxes, the prophecy and Snape's innocence and the plan for Snape to kill him at the end of the year to some of the more important members of the Order like, Moody, Shaklebolt, Doge, Diggle, the Weasleys, Harry, Lupin, Sirius, Tonks and Snape, Harry, Hermione and Ron. No one would have betrayed and it would have made the job easy for Harry and Snape would have had a better deal instead of having to work all alone.


6. What do you think of Dumbledore's recognition of his own failings? His decision not to enter the Ministry?

He was a wise man and this decision shows that.

7. Do you think Dumbledore expected too much from Harry? Did he do the right thing? Was it fair to ask Harry to sacrifice himself?

It would have been fine to for Harry to sacrifice himself -- if it had been Harry's choice. It was not and DD forgot himself and he CHOSE for Harry. I think that was a bit unfair and showed his manipulative nature.

Yes. He did ask too much from a seventeen year old boy who was fighting blind.


8. Does the revelation of his homosexuality ultimately affect his character? What actions, if any, do you see differently now?

His character, I do not think so. But now I think there is greater understanding of his actions. His back story tells us the tradegy of his life and I think there is a parallel to Snape. Both loved -- DD lost GG and he spent the rest of his life fighting the evil he had almost created with the man he loved and Snape lost his love because of his own foolishness and spent the rest of his life fighting the evil he was a part of, which killed her.



Last edited by The_Green_Woods; October 23rd, 2007 at 4:45 pm.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #62  
Old October 23rd, 2007, 8:47 pm
CoeurDeLyon's Avatar
CoeurDeLyon  Female.gif CoeurDeLyon is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4224 days
Location: Currently in my head
Age: 31
Posts: 380
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

1. What are your general thoughts on Dumbledore as a character through books 1-7? Do you see a difference in his behavior and/or actions between the books?

He is your wise old wizard who has to die. He seems somewhat typical to me through the first couple of books. I love that we finally learn about his family and his bakground. I do see a difference in his actions from 1-7. By Book 6 you can since a rush that he needs to get certain information to Harry because he knows he will die soon.

2. Throughout the books, Dumbledore seems to always be teaching Harry something, but his lessons are sometimes hidden and subtle. What do you believe are the most important lessons Dumbledore taught Harry? Did Dumbledore adequately prepare Harry for the trials that lie ahead in book 7? Is there anything you think Dumbledore should have told Harry before he died?

He never once taught Harry about dueling which I always thought was odd since he was kind of setting him up for this show down with Voldemort. All he did was fill Harry up with knowledge. I think it was a good idea, but seeing as Harry only had a dec ent DADA teacher his third year, I would have expected DD to be showing him a little more.

3. What did you think of the revelations of DH regarding Dumbledore's family? How did these tragedies effect the person he is now?

I think what happened that night with Grindelwald and Ariana is what made him the person he became. He took his theory of the Greater good and applied it in every scenario with Harry and Hogwarts. And its what Harry needed, because he would have done things for instant gratification.

4. Why do you think Dumbledore and Grindelwald were friends? How did Dumbledore's homosexuality affect his susceptibility to Grindelwald's ideas?

I think it was about DD finding his equal and someone who could challenge him in many ways. DD was an advanced wizard, and I dont think many thought as he did. I think he found Grindelwald and was lost in adoration for him, and those feelings amounted to so much more. I also think he was lost in Grindelwads plans as well, and possibly followed in a little deeper than he would naturally have. I think he took that as a lesson, and didnt let his feelings distract him again.

5. Was Dumbledore right to keep so many secrets from so many people? Was this secrecy because of his sister? Because of his own homosexuality?

Was he right to do so? I dont think there is a right or a wrong. He did what needed to be done and what others werent brave enough to do. Nobody needed to know the secrets of his family, no one needed to know about Grindelwald. I think thats where people felt wrong for trusting him when he had so many secrets himself, but none of it was necessary to tell.

6. What do you think of Dumbledore's recognition of his own failings? His decision not to enter the Ministry?

It made him very wise. He always did what needed to be done. He managed to put his own feelings aside for the greater good.

7. Do you think Dumbledore expected too much from Harry? Did he do the right thing? Was it fair to ask Harry to sacrifice himself?

I think DD thought age wasnt relevant to much Harry needed to accomplish. Harry needed to be courageous, and brave and have the will to succeed. The motivation was the nature of the beast and thats all Harry really needed. Was it fair to ask Harry to sacrifice himself? I think it had to happen. Harry was a horcrux, and because his blood ran through Voldemort, only Volde could kill Harry and have Harry survive. I dont think DD had to ask Harry to do so, I think Harry would have done it on his own.

8. Does the revelation of his homosexuality ultimately affect his character? What actions, if any, do you see differently now?
I dont see any actions differently. I honestly think it just gave him a little more depth. It isnt critical to the story, it doesnt cause an epiphany. Its a tiny part of the story that will make critics and Harry Potter haters even more pessimistic.


__________________


****************************************
Im baaack =]

"I am not afraid, I was born to do this"-Joan of Arc
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old October 23rd, 2007, 9:49 pm
SusanBones's Avatar
SusanBones  Female.gif SusanBones is offline
Inconceivable!
 
Joined: 4977 days
Location: in a galaxy far, far away
Posts: 4,090
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoeurDeLyon View Post
2. Throughout the books, Dumbledore seems to always be teaching Harry something, but his lessons are sometimes hidden and subtle. What do you believe are the most important lessons Dumbledore taught Harry? Did Dumbledore adequately prepare Harry for the trials that lie ahead in book 7? Is there anything you think Dumbledore should have told Harry before he died?

He never once taught Harry about dueling which I always thought was odd since he was kind of setting him up for this show down with Voldemort. All he did was fill Harry up with knowledge. I think it was a good idea, but seeing as Harry only had a dec ent DADA teacher his third year, I would have expected DD to be showing him a little more.
I always thought that was odd, too, that Dumbledore didn't teach Harry how to fight Voldemort. Then, when it urned out that Harry had to die in order to destroy the Voldy soul fragment, I assumed it was because he didn't want Harry to think that fighting was an option. If Dumbledore had taught Harry to fight, then Harry would have thought he had to fight. Instead, he taught Harry to find horcruxes, and that is what Harry did.


__________________


avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old October 23rd, 2007, 9:52 pm
jammi567's Avatar
jammi567  Male.gif jammi567 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 4188 days
Age: 28
Posts: 1,566
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones111 View Post
I always thought that was odd, too, that Dumbledore didn't teach Harry how to fight Voldemort. Then, when it urned out that Harry had to die in order to destroy the Voldy soul fragment, I assumed it was because he didn't want Harry to think that fighting was an option. If Dumbledore had taught Harry to fight, then Harry would have thought he had to fight. Instead, he taught Harry to find horcruxes, and that is what Harry did.
Afterall, you can fight against someone/thing without physically fighting. I think tat that's quite cool, that Dumbledore was a pacifist, but knew when a fight needed to be fought


__________________
Wark! Chocobo's are the coolest!

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old October 24th, 2007, 2:23 am
CoeurDeLyon's Avatar
CoeurDeLyon  Female.gif CoeurDeLyon is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4224 days
Location: Currently in my head
Age: 31
Posts: 380
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

I never thought of that, but DD is somewhat of a pacifist isnt he?
Always trying to teach Harry how to outsmart Voldemort rather than showing him spells to KO him.
Brains over brawn, I guess.


__________________


****************************************
Im baaack =]

"I am not afraid, I was born to do this"-Joan of Arc
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old October 24th, 2007, 4:34 am
The_Green_Woods's Avatar
The_Green_Woods  Undisclosed.gif The_Green_Woods is offline
Always Indy's Girl
 
Joined: 4113 days
Posts: 6,025
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

Yeah DD was a pacifist alright, but I think he should have taught Harry more about dueling and even the Dark Arts, simply because the side he was fighting against used only offensive curses, unforgivables and the darkest of arts all the time.

Harry, IMO could have been taught the basics, nothing more and also the counters to some of the nastier curses the DE threw at one and all.


Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old October 24th, 2007, 4:55 am
houseelf25's Avatar
houseelf25  Female.gif houseelf25 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4817 days
Location: A dark and expensive forest
Age: 28
Posts: 697
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

1. What are your general thoughts on Dumbledore as a character through books 1-7? Do you see a difference in his behavior and/or actions between the books?
I think Dumbledore is probably one of Jo's best-crafted characters; he's such a complex person, it's so interesting to learn about him, especially in DH. Also he's just so wise, it's hard for me to NOT like him, although there were a few moments in DH that bothered me.

2. Throughout the books, Dumbledore seems to always be teaching Harry something, but his lessons are sometimes hidden and subtle. What do you believe are the most important lessons Dumbledore taught Harry? Did Dumbledore adequately prepare Harry for the trials that lie ahead in book 7? Is there anything you think Dumbledore should have told Harry before he died?
Tolerance, Love, and definately all those things about Tom Riddle. I think he prepared him enough for him to be able to figure things out but still be challenged. I don't think that Dumbledore really had anything that he had to say to Harry before he died.

3. What did you think of the revelations of DH regarding Dumbledore's family? How did these tragedies effect the person he is now?
I was completely surprised, but I began to think about it and I totally think that it explained why Dumbledore seemed to care so much more about everyone, even Riddle.

4. Why do you think Dumbledore and Grindelwald were friends? How did Dumbledore's homosexuality affect his susceptibility to Grindelwald's ideas?
I think they were friends because they met each other at a time when they both were in need of mental stimulation. Being alone with his mad sister and goat-obsessed brother must have left Dumbledore wanting some kind of mental help. As for the susceptibility to Grindelwald's ideas, I think that because Dumbledore was in love with him, he was blinded to the reality of the ideas and how horrible they really were.

5. Was Dumbledore right to keep so many secrets from so many people? Was this secrecy because of his sister? Because of his own homosexuality?
I think everyone has the right to have secrets, and I don't really think Dumbledore was being secretive, it was more a "don't ask, don't tell" sort of situation.

6. What do you think of Dumbledore's recognition of his own failings? His decision not to enter the Ministry?
I think it was a good thing that he recognized his own failings, because if he had been Minister, he wouldn't have been headmaster of Hogwarts!

7. Do you think Dumbledore expected too much from Harry? Did he do the right thing? Was it fair to ask Harry to sacrifice himself?
When I first read DH, yes, I did think it was too much to ask of him, but overall it was the right thing, cause Harry lived anyway...
I'm not entirely sure if it was fair to ask Harry to sacrifice himself, but I think that it was more unfair to ask Snape to keep him alive without giving him the full story.

8. Does the revelation of his homosexuality ultimately affect his character? What actions, if any, do you see differently now?
I only see the whole Grindelwald thing in a different light, not his character. I think that that entire situation (homosexuality included) definately changed how Dumbledore viewed life, and I'm very glad that Jo revealed this tidbit of info.


__________________


Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old October 24th, 2007, 5:10 am
kjty2k  Undisclosed.gif kjty2k is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4740 days
Location: In a dream somewhere....
Posts: 273
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

1. What are your general thoughts on Dumbledore as a character through books 1-7? Do you see a difference in his behavior and/or actions between the books?
I love Albus Dumbledore and I always will. He's very wise and he never says anything that is not worth being said. He has always been reserved and secretive but that is part of what makes him Dumbledore. He definitely changed throughout the series, trusting Harry more and more, but he always knows his greatest faults and his greatest limitations and owns up to it. That makes him very respectable.

2. Throughout the books, Dumbledore seems to always be teaching Harry something, but his lessons are sometimes hidden and subtle. What do you believe are the most important lessons Dumbledore taught Harry? Did Dumbledore adequately prepare Harry for the trials that lie ahead in book 7? Is there anything you think Dumbledore should have told Harry before he died?
He gave Harry a family and he also gave Harry trust. Yes, Dumbledore was a trusting man throughout the entire series to most characters; however, that was something Harry never had growing up. I think he could have better prepared Harry, yes. Considering Harry was the ONLY one who could actually defeat Voldemort, he deserved to know everything Dumbledore had to tell him.

3. What did you think of the revelations of DH regarding Dumbledore's family? How did these tragedies effect the person he is now?
A brilliant man stuck in an average family is going to be a tough thing. That being said...he loved his family. Him and his brother might have had their disagreements and Albus, obviously, was the more talented of the two and Aberforth resented that to some extent. Obviously, when his dad is less than respectable and his mom dies soon after his dad is sent off to prison how would you expect a genius to react? Then, when Ariana died he didn't know what to do. I think the prospect of him being blamed for it made him more reserved. It explains a lot, people in grief are often reserved about themselves and it explains a lot about Dumbledore.


4. Why do you think Dumbledore and Grindelwald were friends? How did Dumbledore's homosexuality affect his susceptibility to Grindelwald's ideas?

Their intellectual level began their friendship. Dumbledore never had anyone he could talk to that was on his same level who understood everything that he presented. He meant a lot and, since he was attracted to Grindelwald he was willing to listen to anything Grindelwald presented, and most likely accept it for acceptance in return.

5. Was Dumbledore right to keep so many secrets from so many people? Was this secrecy because of his sister? Because of his own homosexuality?

No, Harry deserved to know EVERYTHING about Voldemort. Other than that, his personal life is his personal life. His past is his past. He has the right to share or not to share, just like all of us. He probably became more reserved because of his past.

6. What do you think of Dumbledore's recognition of his own failings? His decision not to enter the Ministry?
Proves that he was a very wise man, indeed.


7. Do you think Dumbledore expected too much from Harry? Did he do the right thing? Was it fair to ask Harry to sacrifice himself?

Like I've said before, Harry deserved to know EVERYTHING when it came to Voldemort. His personality suggests that he would have chosen to sacrifice himself...he likes "playing the hero" after all. Was it fair to ask Harry to give up his life? Not really, but is it fair to ask the rest of the wizarding world to be suspectible to Lord Voldemort because the only person who can save them won't? No. It appears to be a lose-lose situation and I honestly believe that Dumbledore did what he thought was best.


8. Does the revelation of his homosexuality ultimately affect his character? What actions, if any, do you see differently now?

I don't. Dumbledore never let anything like that get in the way. He acted from his head, not from his heart when it really mattered.


__________________
"Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it is to be young."

Albus Dumbledore, Order of the Pheonix




Random Fact: When the Dursleys and Harry were fleeing from "the Letters From No One" they ate stale cornflakes and cold tinned tomatoes on toast for breakfast.
I share a birthday with Molly Weasley!
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old October 24th, 2007, 7:17 am
wicked87  Female.gif wicked87 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4005 days
Location: california!
Posts: 178
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
[color="DarkSlateBlue"]1.

5. Was Dumbledore right to keep so many secrets from so many people? Was this secrecy because of his sister? Because of his own homosexuality?

Well I really do not know how to answer this, maybe it was a combination of the second and third questions or maybe it was his inherent nature to be secretive.

Was he right to do so? DEFINITELY NOT -- In a war of this magnitude he should not have kept so many secrets all to himself. There are unbreakable vows, magical oaths and so many other things he could have used and shared the horcruxes, the prophecy and Snape's innocence and the plan for Snape to kill him at the end of the year to some of the more important members of the Order like, Moody, Shaklebolt, Doge, Diggle, the Weasleys, Harry, Lupin, Sirius, Tonks and Snape, Harry, Hermione and Ron. No one would have betrayed and it would have made the job easy for Harry and Snape would have had a better deal instead of having to work all alone.
i definetely agree with your point on this. All of those people were extremely loyal. I think they had proved that by their actions: basically risking their lived. But he still didn't give them enough respect to tell them anything. I'm still upset about it.


__________________
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b208/sting_likea_bee_icons/Harry%20Potter/9fvg5t.gif

"Prison Mike, what is the very worst thing about prison?"

"The worst thing about prison was...the DEMENTORS!...they were... flyin all over the place and they were scary and they suck the soul out of your body and it hoirts!"

I The Office
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old October 24th, 2007, 7:21 am
gertiekeddle's Avatar
gertiekeddle  Female.gif gertiekeddle is offline
Eldest Gruff
 
Joined: 4740 days
Location: Öelda, et sinust ma hoolin
Age: 41
Posts: 5,233
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

I think Dumbledore should have told a few people more about what they risking their life for, but I don't think it had fit to his character to let them use magical oaths or even dark magic (unbreakable vow). He trusted in the humans surrounding him, what seems to be a major part of his character for me. We know he got promises from for instance Harry and Snape to take care for smaller or huge tasks, but I can't imagine him forcing them to give a promise supported by magic protection. It still has to be their own decision.


__________________
(Avatar by Alfonzo)


I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old October 24th, 2007, 7:29 am
Starrlight  Female.gif Starrlight is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5489 days
Location: DADA Class
Posts: 274
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

I was sorry to see JKR state that Dumbledore's infatuation with Grindelwald blinded him to Grindelwald's dark ways. Love blinds you to your lover's faults--that's just too "romance novel plot" to be believed. While reading DH, I assumed that JKR was going for something deeper--we all have a dark side, and Dumbledore flirted with that dark side: he was tempted by power. Instead of a complex, powerful man being tempted by evil, repenting, and trying to find a way to live with himself after a tragedy, we get that same old McGonnagal "you're too noble to use your power" Dumbledore from the very first book. He's the wonderful guy Doge remembered who just made a mistake because he was in love. Sheesh--that's as superficial as it gets! I didn't like DH anyway, I was tremendously disappointed with it for reasons that I won't go into here, and now I have one less reason to reread the series to see if I can come to love it again.


Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old October 24th, 2007, 7:41 am
The_Green_Woods's Avatar
The_Green_Woods  Undisclosed.gif The_Green_Woods is offline
Always Indy's Girl
 
Joined: 4113 days
Posts: 6,025
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

Quote:
Originally posted by Gertiekeddle
I think Dumbledore should have told a few people more about what they risking their life for, but I don't think it had fit to his character to let them use magical oaths or even dark magic (unbreakable vow). He trusted in the humans surrounding him, what seems to be a major part of his character for me. We know he got promises from for instance Harry and Snape to take care for smaller or huge tasks, but I can't imagine him forcing them to give a promise supported by magic protection. It still has to be their own decision.
I did not know that an unbreakable vow was Dark Magic, okay that negates the use of the vow, but I still feel DD could have asked for a promise or oath to reveal a few important things to the Inner Circle of the Order. IMO everyone was fighting blind...

Harry IMO was fighting blind; Snape did not know about the horcruxes was also fighting blind, I felt. And Harry is someone who understands. We saw that in POA where he gives Sirius a chance to speak; at a time when everyone including Harry thought he was responsible for the Potters murder.

Had DD expalined things to Harry and Snape, I firmly believe they could have and would have worked together and maybe even saved Snape's life, and mybe, maybe... I think, also the lives of Moody and Hedwig...


Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old October 24th, 2007, 7:59 am
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 4787 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,036
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

Can we keep this on Dumbledore and the analysis of his character? If you want to voice your disappointment about the last book, please do so in Deathly Hallows: A disappointment? v2


Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old October 24th, 2007, 8:12 am
gertiekeddle's Avatar
gertiekeddle  Female.gif gertiekeddle is offline
Eldest Gruff
 
Joined: 4740 days
Location: Öelda, et sinust ma hoolin
Age: 41
Posts: 5,233
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
Had DD expalined things to Harry and Snape, I firmly believe they could have and would have worked together and maybe even saved Snape's life, and mybe, maybe... I think, also the lives of Moody and Hedwig...
We definitely agree here about that Dumbledore could or should have told more. But I can't see Harry and Snape ever working together - it was Snape who asked to not reveal all to Harry and the whole polt structure (Voldemort being able to use legilimency for instance) seems to deny this possibitily for me.

So while I agree Dumbledore acted very secretive to get his plan done and this certainly is a sign of his character, he was not responsible for all what happened. Also they were in war - I don't know whether there was any possibility to save any more lifes for Dumbledore. I see it as a one of his characteristics that he didn't want to see more people dead though.


__________________
(Avatar by Alfonzo)


I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old October 24th, 2007, 8:27 am
The_Green_Woods's Avatar
The_Green_Woods  Undisclosed.gif The_Green_Woods is offline
Always Indy's Girl
 
Joined: 4113 days
Posts: 6,025
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

I feel DD is a combination of wisdom, good nature and also extreme manipulation... IMO DD largely sees only the bigger picture and that was why his secrecy was paramount to him... because he was IMO palying with the lives of the others sometimes, only sometimes and largely, I believe when he could not avoid it, but nevertheless did chose for others if needed, I always thought and IMO surely that would not go down well with the others...

I also believe that DD thought that when presented the case fully to the Order embers who could be trusted they may not agree to be sacrificed for the greater good; like the seven Potters--that was surely dangerous and casuality ridden IMO

Was that one more reason for DD to be secretive; What do people think?

I think, this was also a factor that was a part of his character...


Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old October 24th, 2007, 8:33 am
Moriath's Avatar
Moriath  Female.gif Moriath is offline
MODLY CREW
 
Joined: 4787 days
Location: Neverwhere
Posts: 7,036
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

I think that with extreme intelligence there came quite a bit of confidence, and yes, arrogance. Dumbledore was convinced that he knew best and very often, he was right. So he assumed that not telling the Order would be for the greater good. This is morally questionable but revealing every little detail would probably have resulted in squabbling and discord.


Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old October 24th, 2007, 9:40 am
The_Green_Woods's Avatar
The_Green_Woods  Undisclosed.gif The_Green_Woods is offline
Always Indy's Girl
 
Joined: 4113 days
Posts: 6,025
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

Quote:
Originally posted by Moriath
I think that with extreme intelligence there came quite a bit of confidence, and yes, arrogance. Dumbledore was convinced that he knew best and very often, he was right. So he assumed that not telling the Order would be for the greater good. This is morally questionable but revealing every little detail would probably have resulted in squabbling and discord.
What you have said is very correct, but IMO the mistakes he made because of this, should I say attitude, or well extreme confidence, were very huge and DD himself admits to this in HBP where he tells harry that his mistakes have huge repercussions.

Two deaths IMO that could have definitely been avoided was Sirius in the OOTP and Snape in DH I felt...

While he need not have revealed every single detail as you have so rightly pointed out; such a thing would have surely created only chaos within the Order, the major things IMO should have been told.

Also another sad mistake I feel IMO, could have been surely avoided was to tell Snape that Harry would have lived and had he done so, I think Snape would have died happy, died, IMO thinking he had saved the child of Lily Potter...


Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old October 24th, 2007, 6:54 pm
CoeurDeLyon's Avatar
CoeurDeLyon  Female.gif CoeurDeLyon is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4224 days
Location: Currently in my head
Age: 31
Posts: 380
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
What you have said is very correct, but IMO the mistakes he made because of this, should I say attitude, or well extreme confidence, were very huge and DD himself admits to this in HBP where he tells harry that his mistakes have huge repercussions.

Two deaths IMO that could have definitely been avoided was Sirius in the OOTP and Snape in DH I felt...

While he need not have revealed every single detail as you have so rightly pointed out; such a thing would have surely created only chaos within the Order, the major things IMO should have been told.
I agree here. Dumbledore knew the connection between Harry and Voldemort existed. He didnt have to tell Harry all of his plans, but he could have told him what Voldemort might do, and how he might attack his mind or play tricks on it, instead of letting Snape teach him occlumency. That was a choice I never quite inderstood. Snape wasnt exactly the nicest person to Harry, and Harry was still a kid.


__________________


****************************************
Im baaack =]

"I am not afraid, I was born to do this"-Joan of Arc
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old October 24th, 2007, 8:58 pm
arithmancer's Avatar
arithmancer  Undisclosed.gif arithmancer is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 4734 days
Location: The Hogwarts Boathouse
Posts: 7,937
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
Also another sad mistake I feel IMO, could have been surely avoided was to tell Snape that Harry would have lived and had he done so, I think Snape would have died happy, died, IMO thinking he had saved the child of Lily Potter...
I agree that Snape not having been told about the possibility Harry would survive is one of the more tragic aspects of his death. However, I cannot object to Dumbledore's decision not to tell him. As I understand it, for the protection to work as it actually did, for the Horcrux to be destroyed without killing Harry, Harry's love and willingness to die was a contributing factor. A willingness to maybe die (rather than surely die) might not have sufficed to protect Harry.

And as things turned out, Snape had to share with Harry what he believed to be the truth. He could not have lied, and hidden from Harry the possibility of his survival, because he communicated the secret to Harry through showing a memory of what Dumbledore told him. I think Dumbledore may have been expecting some similar method to be used, since a simple statement of the facts by Snape would probably have had little chance of convincing Harry.

As a secondary point, there is the problem of Snape's proximity to Voldemort. The only way for Harry to survive the Horcrux removal is for Voldemort to kill him. Fortunately, Voldemort had become fixated on killing Harry himself, but that could have changed, had Snape somehow messed up and given himself away, allowing Voldemort to learn all of the secrets that Dumbledore had entrusted to him. The lie to Snape protected Harry in a couple of differnt ways, as I see it.

Snape would have been happier knowing, but from a practical standpoint, he did not need to know to play his role in the plan, and the plan was safer with Snape in the dark.


__________________
The Sorting Hat says I belong in Slytherin.



“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.


Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old October 24th, 2007, 9:05 pm
Yoana's Avatar
Yoana  Female.gif Yoana is offline
Assistant to Minister Granger
 
Joined: 4552 days
Location: Bulgaria
Age: 35
Posts: 6,431
Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgirnius View Post
As I understand it, for the protection to work as it actually did, for the Horcrux to be destroyed without killing Harry, Harry's love and willingness to die was a contributing factor.
I thought so too. But I reread that part last night, and Dumbledore actually says that the blood protection transfer kept both of them bonded/chained to each other, so that Harry couldn't die while Voldemort is still alive. It did leave me wondering why on earth was it important for Harry to believe he was going to die. I'm still wondering.


Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Bookmarks

Tags
albus dumbledore, character analysis


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 4:27 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.