Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Why do you listen to music?

Old October 29th, 2008, 11:07 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: Why do you listen to music?

-your age
-what you do (stay home with the kids, go to college, work in an office, etc)
school
-what types of music you listen to
alternative, rock, metal
-what effects your music has on you
It depends on what type. Pop aggravates me. Metal soothes me and helps with anger relief. Slow alternative music helps with stress relief. And in general they're just all music that i enjoy.
-any extra details
I rarely listen to music for lyrics even if i memorize them. i listen more for melody than anything. Lyrics are of course important, but melody touches me way more and most lyrics send messages that i don't believe in and if i was looking for lyrics that i actually believed in, my music would be EXTREMELY limited

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:57 pm
Second Year

My age- 14 years old
What I do- Erm go to school
What type of music i listen to- some pop, when im in a good mood, but mostly rock and altrenative
What affects music has on me- Lets see, Rap makes my head hurt, Really Preppyesh Pop annoys me to death! But rock and altrenative makes me happy inside! Its like calming or something!!

When im angry i usually put on some really loud music to shut out the stuff going through my head, it kinda works!

Donít you ask me if its love my dear
Love donít really mean a thing round here
The fake scenes the plastic-made dreams
Say you donít want it, say you donít want it
{One Night Only}

Old November 1st, 2008, 6:59 pm
Second Year

My age- 15 years old
What I do- School
What type of music i listen to- Jazz, Classical, Broadway, Rock, Alternative, Latin, Movie Soundtracks
What affects music has on me- I always feel like the music I listen to reflects my mood, and helps me calm down. Like, if I'm really angry, if I listen to something from a movie soundtrack, or one of my favorite rock songs, I find it helps me feel better about what's going on around me, and have a better outlook on what I'm going through, and that it may not be that big of a deal in the end.

Thanks for the amazing signature Lisa_Turpin!
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:19 am
Second Year

-I work at a Cafe.
-A bit of everything, apart from R & B, Heavy mental and Country. Cannot take country at all!
Music is just a escape for me really. It also does help me relax and unwind, and kind of gives me a extra kind of company (that sounded a bit sad). I always need to put music on once I get home and I'm never really without music...once I finish work, the ipod earphones come on.

Old February 12th, 2009, 2:21 am
First Year

-your age: 15
-what you do (stay home with the kids, go to college, work in an office, etc): I'm a high school student.
-what types of music you listen to: All kinds of rock. My favorites are Classic Rock and Alternative.
-what effects your music has on you: It can take me to any place, any memory, any emotion. It can remind me of anybody. It can make me feel anything. It can lift me from depression or let me embrace my anger. It can make me laugh or make me cry. Music is essentially, my LIFE.

But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see.
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:56 pm
Second Year

-work as a cashier in a supermarket, generally working on the Self Check Out or the register.
-Rock: whether it be Prog Rock, Classic Rock or Rock Rock, its what i mostly listen to. then, early rap. like Run DMC.
-Makes me relax. anytime i buy a new album, it is a ceremony, and i listen to it while i sleep and anything else.
-no extra details, but i do drive blasting my music. surprising, i have not been pulled over for noise violations.

And they can try their hardest, cos they dont frighten me-Behind the Lines- Genesis
I'm sorry, I don't believe that Toilet Paper should have words on it.- me on Twilight
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house.-George Carlin
There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.- George Carlin
I'd rather be a fan of Peter Pettigrew than a fan of Edward Cullen.-me, again on Twilight
"Live Long and Prosper."- Spock
Keep behind me. There's no sense in getting killed by a plant.- The Day of the Triffids
Old July 20th, 2009, 6:56 pm
Third Year

I do realise that the thread starter does not need the information anymore, but I think this is a good question. Why do I listen to music. It is a good question and not that easily answered.
Most of my day is spent listening somekind of music. I love metal, goth punk kind of music. It makes me smile and it gives me energy. Or when I am nervous about something, it calms me. Sometimes I am more in a mood fod classical music, it makes me feel happy and light. Like no bad thought could ever touch me. When I work out, yes as unbelievabas it it I do work out sometimes , I listen to metal or some kind of music with a good beat and rhythm.
Music is such an important part of my life that I cannot imagine living in silence. I know I haven't actually answered to the question, but this is the best I can do.And if anyone is interested, I am 23(almost 24) and I work in a library.

Like a wilful stray cat, full of pride and freedom... bearing wounds that can't be healed...
Old August 23rd, 2009, 7:18 pm
First Year

I hope this adds more to your research.. if you're still on it, TC

-Currently, I am rotting at home. Otherwise, I am a student.
-Anything that's good, really. But good will mean, I like it kind of good.
-I can relax, sing along, cry and certain ones make me laugh (rare though).
-Music is life yo!
(but I can't study with it )

Old August 23rd, 2009, 8:05 pm
First Year

- in school
- punk, rock and metal. and alternative, indie, classical rock, trash metal, grunge. mostly 20th century bands like metallica, led zeppelin, jimi hendrix, the doors, the who, nirvana, pearl jam, u2..........
- oh when i listen to music i usually forget everything i'm in some kind trans. it cheers me up and i can not imagine life without music.

"That's enough, now," said Mrs. Weasley.
"Mum!" said Fred as though he'd only just spotted her and seizing her hand too. "How really corking to see you--"

Old August 23rd, 2009, 9:35 pm
Registered Animagus

This really isn't relevant anymore, but I think it's still interesting.

- Metal, Industrial, Gothic, Aggrotech
- It distracts from real life and inspires me. Different genres, different inspiration. I know what music I can listen to depending on my mood which is very helpful, especially when I have to get up early for uni.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:01 pm
Sixth Year

Music has always been a huge part of my life, I can't go a day without it (or night. I even sleep with the radio on), I'm always singing along, it's simply a way for me to relax and destress, think about life and stuff. It also inspires ideas for writing, drawing, ect.

- I John 4:18

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Enter the world of my fanfictions! Deviantart
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:03 pm
Third Year

I think this is very interesting so I will do it anyway.

-13(14 in October)
-Grade 9 student
-Um, I listen to mostly Pop,Pop-Rock,Alterntative Rock, and Punk. Oh and some Rap and Hip-Hop/
- I like listening to Punk when I am angry and need to calm down. I listen to Pop and Hip Hop when I'm in a good mood. I listen to some. But Rap has gotten on my nerves lately. Especially Lil Wayne!
-Extra Details? Everyone likes music. Some people may say they don't but they are LIARS! Music will be with us forever. Music=Life

Vincent Van Gogh: Hold my hand, Doctor. Try to see what I see. We're so lucky we're still alive to see this beautiful world. Look at the sky. It's not dark and black, without character. The black is in fact deep blue. And over there, lighter blue. And blue and through the blueness and the blackness, the wind swirling through the air. And then shining, burning, bursting through through the stars. And you see how they throw their light. Everywhere we look, complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

The Doctor: I've seen many things, my friend, but you're right. Nothing... quite as wonderful as the things you see.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:25 pm
Secret Keeper

The "invention" of music is quite interesting when you think about it. I wonder how it came about and the reasons for such. Personally I don't think I could live without music. I find I ALWAYS have to have it on in the car...that's probably where I listen to music the most.

Why I listen to music and what kind varies depending on the situation. For instance, I used to listen to rock before baseball to get me pumped up. So sometimes it's to get you in the mood for something. Lately, I've found myself listening to Christian rock quite a bit cause it's comforting and not about superficial or material things. I also like songs one can relate to or tell a story...country is great for that.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old December 20th, 2009, 8:39 pm
First Year

I love music because sometimes, it just knows how you feel. You can feel the same emotion that the writer of the song intended. I also love to play it. I feel great when i'm playing my clarinet because the music i'm playing makes me feel in touch with the music. I don't know, the feeling is hard to explain. But I know I will always love music.

Old December 28th, 2009, 10:22 am
Third Year

I don't know really...I just love music. But sometimes music calms me down and other times it gets me on a better mood. I've never been so musical, I mean I don't sing and I don't play any instruments but I do love to listen to music. But then again the it has to be th kind of music I like...

Old December 28th, 2009, 11:07 am
HighFunctioning Sociopath

-your age 41

I'm a full-time carer, but I also do some freelance work from home

It's pretty eclectic, but I'm a sucker for the 80s (mostly post-punk, new wave and indie, but also some mainstream 80s pop) and for anything wildly, flamboyantly camp. Currently I'm listening to a lot of new folk and world fusion.

why do you listen to music?

For the emotional effect.

I can't listen to music and do intellectual work at the same time - I can't concentrate on both things together, I have to really think about what I'm listening to - so I've never listened to work while I study. I do like having dance music or upbeat pop on while I'm doing mindless household chores, though - it makes it more fun, motivates me, and I find I do work faster as I subconsciously work to the temp of the music.

Depending on the genre and my mood, it can move me to tears, set my pulse racing (literally), put me in a kind of trance (literally). It really is kind of like a drug. You can just lose yourself in it totally.

I get really cross when someone interrupts me when I'm listening to music, because it's like being pulled back to earth out of another dimension.

Sometimes just one chord sequence or key change makes me come over all funny, and touches me in ways I simply can't explain, and I have to listen to that bit over and over again.

When in the past I've been really (clinically) depressed, I've liked listening to really sad music. Somehow, if the music is from the artist's heart, you can tell, and it's very comforting, because you know the person has been in exactly the same place as you but has managed to come out the other end, far more than could ever be conveyed through words. Does that make sense?

And, like smells, music can trigger far more vivid memories than words or pictures can (you know when you smell something you've only previously encountered on a holiday abroad, or hear a song you last heard on holiday, something suddenly gets switched on in your brain, and for a moment it's like you are actually back there...?)

EDIT: I've just scrolled through the thread more carefully, and realised that other people have already said most of these things far better than me.

Old December 28th, 2009, 7:24 pm
Fourth Year

What I do: Go to school, act
Types of music I listen to: Showtunes
Effects my music has on me: I listen to music that makes me rethink my stance on various components of life. I don't go for fluffy pish-posh. If the song isn't trying to communicate something than why was it even written in the first place?

Old December 28th, 2009, 8:22 pm
Sixth Year

-your age
Finishing up home school and heading to college in a few years
Expiramental, heavy metal, alternative, instrumental. Many kinds of rock
It gets me through times in my life. Whether it be a loss of love, a severe bout of depression or anxiety, or whether it be the best time in my life yet.

Old December 29th, 2009, 2:36 am
Fifth Year

Why do you listen to music? It's genetic and cultural. music is inescapable.

Does it relax you? Yes, but not usually. it usually consumes my mind.

Does it remind you of something? Some music does. When I listen to my mother's music, it reminds me of when I was a little munchkin because when you're young you listen to whatever your parents do. Sometimes music reminds me of experiences I have not even had or places I have not been.

Does it put you in a better mood? Yep.

PLEASE INCLUDE:
-your age

Go to college. I also play bass for my church.

I listen to anything that sounds good. The main people I like are PJ Harvey, Kate Bush, Lunasa, Tania Maria, lots of 1st and 2nd wave ska and reggae, 90s alternative rock,

It makes me wish I wrote the song to which I am listening and inspires me to create

=D

Old January 8th, 2010, 12:05 pm
First Year

-your age

I go to university.

Pop, alternative, indie, classic rock, synthpop, punk

Positive

-any extra details
I need to listen to music. I'd wake up and just want to listen to something badly. Sometimes it's something well known that I love, sometimes I need to find some new music. I constantly explore new music. I'm also an occasional DJ, usually for conceptual parties. It's a big part of my life.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)