Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)

Why do you listen to music?

Old October 12th, 2007, 3:07 am
Fourth Year

I'm doing a research paper about what reasons different people of different ages have for listening to music. Does it relax you? Does it remind you of something? Does it put you in a better mood?

PLEASE INCLUDE:
-your age
-what you do (stay home with the kids, go to college, work in an office, etc)
-what types of music you listen to
-what effects your music has on you
-any extra details
=D

If he'd died in the spring,
But he didn't-- he died in the fall.
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2007, 5:10 am
Until the very end

Re: Why do you listen to music?

Hi! I'm 20, student, and I listen to music because it cheers me up. I listen to classic rock mainly, also glam rock, experimental...
Music has a soothing effect on me; it helps me relax... Also, I like listening to new songs, paying attention to the lyrics, to see if they connect with me somehow... So I guess is a kind of theraphy, also.

The stories we love best do live in us forever,
so whether you come back by page or by the big screen,
Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.

Old October 14th, 2007, 9:44 pm
Second Year

Hmm...why do you have to go all Socrates on me?!

I'm 15, I'm a junior at my high school, I like to listen to classic rock, soundtracks, and sometimes pop. I guess I listen to music because it helps me escape from the world.

Wow, that sounded emo.

What I mean is that music does a lot of things for me. It will aid in my daydreams (which are a way of escape), it will make me stop thinking for a few minutes (which is extremely hard to do), and it will motivate me if I'm running (because just listening to your feet hit the treadmill again and again isn't very motivating).

I don't know. I've never actually thought about it in depth really.

Cool thread! Good luck on your paper!

The Sith Lord Nomolous can see you through her computer and is watching you...

Right now she's watching you read her signature...
Old October 16th, 2007, 2:29 pm
First Year

-your age : 19
-what you do (stay home with the kids, go to college, work in an office, etc) : college student
-what types of music you listen to : hardcore, skramz, ska, instrumental
-what effects your music has on you : gets me pumped, want to dance, want to move around, want to mosh, makes me smile.
-any extra details : i'm a big supporter of my town's local music scene. i play an active roll in setting up shows, going to shows on a weekly basis, taking pictures of bands, etc, etc. Big supporter of underground, DIY music.

Old October 17th, 2007, 10:19 am
Sixth Year

-your age: 24
-what you do (stay home with the kids, go to college, work in an office, etc): Currently unemployed
-what types of music you listen to: All kinds pop and rock mainly. I love anything I can sing along to!
-what effects your music has on you: It lifts my mood. If I am feeling down, listening to cheerful music makes me feel better. In the same way - if I am feeling a bit unhappy and I listen to sad songs, it can sometimes be comforting, but at the same time a little depressing.

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old November 5th, 2007, 9:47 pm
First Year

Because it's AWESOME!!

oops,

I'm 14
I go to school,=X
I Listen to mostly all music except for rap and like classical
Depending on the way I'm feeling, like if I'm excited, I'll listen to an adrenaline rushing song, like animal i have become by three days grace! But if I'm in a bored mood I'll listen to one of my favorite songs. Or if I'm in a bad mood, anything will do :] It cheers me up

-Ellie
Old November 7th, 2007, 12:08 pm
Seventh Year

I'm a 19-year-old student. I listen to all kinds of music bar a few (I dislike rap, classical and country), but my favourite genres seem to be rock, alternative, indie and punk. I listen to music because of the way it makes me feel. Music can make me feel happy, sad, excited etc. I enjoy listening to music that I like and I love being able to find some kind of meaning in a song, even if it is not the meaning intended by the artist/band. When I listen to music, it can sometimes make me forget what is going on around me. It's such a powerful and awesome thing. I couldn't live without music.

Last edited by Raven_Girly; November 7th, 2007 at 12:10 pm.
Old November 9th, 2007, 3:28 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

I'm in my 20's, stay at home -- for the most part. I listen to rock, classic rock, 80's rock, some pop, a tiny bit of country. It helps me to relax and unwind after a long day . I enjoy listening to it every chance that I get to.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old November 10th, 2007, 1:42 am
First Year

~> im 17
~> listening to music and chatting
~> all kinds of music but i like most the soft one's
~> sometimes i cried when i heard and understand the meaning of the song.. sometimes i want to dance in the tune of it.. and sometimes if makes me feel glad so i sing along with the song im listening..

~> i feel relax when i heard songs that i like but mostly songs are inspiring or stories that has a lesson.. Like no promises of shayne ward.. it makes me teary eye when i heard it bcoz i remember my ex-boyfriend making promises.. but doesnt do it.. and the your my guardian angel of red jumpsuit apparatus.. i love this song.. it feels im protected with someone who dont want me to be hurt and let me down..

thats it....

ALASTOR IS THIS OK?
Old November 25th, 2007, 1:26 am
Banned

I'm a 19 yr. old college student and I listen to music simply because it's against human nature not to. Name one culture that doesn't include music and/or dancing as a central part of life. I'm a very eclectic person, and like all types of music, though admittedly I can only tolerate some in smaller doses than others. But I can find something in every genre that I like. My faves seem to be Alt. Rock, Ambient, Trance, Indie, etc.

Old November 26th, 2007, 2:49 pm
Second Year

Im 17 years old and a student in grade 12 according to the american system. I mostly listen to different types of metal:symphonic,a bit of death,industrial....as you can see im a bit prejudiced in favour of metal but i still do listen to sum avril lavigne or nelly furtado/eminem etc. every once in a while...

music has a pretty profound effect on me now that i come to think of it-it IS therapy for me,it IS an escape from reality and into daydreams+fantasies for me, and as a result i get pretty hyper, jumped up(headbangin mood!) ,etc when im listening to metal......other genres make me feel slightly sleepy an relaxed in comparison!.....ah yes! constantly dreaming im richard kruzpe playing in a rammstein concert is a fave fantasy of mine!!!!!Dont pay much attention to the lyrics though....a good beat is all i really need!

Old November 26th, 2007, 3:26 pm
Fourth Year

i'm 17 and a senior in high school. i don't know why i listen to music, except that i like it. i'll listen to almost everything, but i cannot stand country or rap, and techno's up there on that list too (shh don't tell my sister). my favorite genres are rock, alternative, and showtunes. i guess i listen to music because it's a way to express my mood, or to make myself feel better. whenever i'm happy, i'll listen to my favorite band and jump around and i'll feel more happy. when i'm sad, i listen to showtunes (yay avenue q) and that usually makes me feel a bit better about everything. i'm more of a "lyrics" person, too, so concentrating on what the singer's saying kind of helps me forget where i am/what's going on.

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old November 26th, 2007, 5:07 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Im 16. I'm still at school I tend to listen to metal, punk and alternative music I listen to music to relax me and to entertain me - funnily enough, it also helps me get to sleep (thank god for my ipod!!). Without music life would be boring

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old December 10th, 2007, 3:39 am
Student

-your age: 17
-what you do (stay home with the kids, go to college, work in an office, etc): Go To School
-what types of music you listen to: All kinds
-what effects your music has on you: It puts me in a good mood and calms me when I'm angry
-any extra details

Old December 10th, 2007, 3:56 am
Sixth Year

-your age: Sixteen.

-what you do (stay home with the kids, go to college, work in an office, etc): student.

-what types of music you listen to: I listen to a range, including pop, rock, emo, some screamo, alternative, hip hop... basically anything but classical, folk, country and gangsta rap. I have a thing for catchy lyrics.

-what effects your music has on you: It relaxes me when I'm stressed out or helps me escape if I need to, because I'm so busy analysing the lyrics I don't really think of anything else, and it blocks out whatever is happening around me. I tend to listen to music that reflects my moods, and it's good to feel that the person who wrote the lyrics knows exactly how you feel, and that they've been through what you're going through. It helps me exercise, because certain songs make me want to run and I feel more energetic listening to them. Sometimes words stand out to me and they help me to come up with ideas and inspire me with my work. In general it just makes me happy, and it would be so hard to live without it.

"Don't get too friendly with him, though, Rosie. Granddad Weasley would never forgive you if you married a pure-blood."
Old December 10th, 2007, 5:36 am
Gwen's Auntie

I'm 19. Currently waiting for my college application to go through and waiting to hear back on all the jobs I've applied for...I guess I fit in the miscellaneous category?

I listen to almost anything. The only stuff I really don't like is rap and hip-hop. I listen to rock, punk, screamo, oldies, country, ...anything with a good beat or lyrics I connect with. My mom calls me 'eclectic'.

Music has lots of different effects on me. It depends on the lyrics, usually. Some lyrics make you just want to get up and dance, others make you want to just lay in the dark and listen. Mostly, I associate music with memories. Is that weird? Anything that's really happy (not poppy or anything, just something that makes you feel good) reminds me of driving in the sunshine with my windows rolled down and the wind blowing my hair all over, reminds me of being carefree and happy. Some songs remind me of people I love.

The Top of The World by The Carpenters, for example, brings back all the happy memories of my papa. He used to make up his own lyrics to it and sing them to me..."You're the cookie at the top of my world" and things like that.

I personally believe that music is essential for humans. I cannot imagine life without it. Sorry, music is one of my biggest passions.

Leave people better than you found them.”
― Marvin J. Ashton
Old December 10th, 2007, 7:57 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I'm 19, and I'm a college student and part-time seamstress. I like to listen to most kinds of music, in particular, classic rock, oldies, classical, alternative, pop and some R&B. Music can have different effects on me. A lot of it, I simply enjoy. I love the sound of it. I also like to work out to some fast paced songs. The biggest effect music has one me is probably how I use it in relation to my writing. A lot of times, I'll feel that a song is a good "theme" for one of my stories or characters, and it helps me in my creativity. I have several playlists on my iPod just for songs to write to. It inspires me.

Old December 13th, 2007, 2:58 am
First Year

your age: 17
-what you do : i'm in high school
-what types of music you listen to: broad spectrum of genres. Rock/metal/rap/R&B/classical to name a few.

-what effects your music has on you: depends on what i'm listening to and what I'm doing. if i'm reading and listening to music, whenever i hear that song will remind me of what i was reading. as a nice escape. to get me more inspired and do something. i love music.

Old December 16th, 2007, 9:45 pm
Seventh Year

your age: 16
-what you do (stay home with the kids, go to college, work in an office, etc) I am at college at the moment
-what types of music you listen to: Rock, Punk, Metal...
-what effects your music has on you: It actually calms me pop really aggrivates me..as does hip hop, etc..so listening to rock calms me...from problems at school, home, etc....i think my music really helps me get through things..also i can express myself through what i listen to....also i find listenig to rock and metal sends me to sleep i quite often stick on Nickelback or something as i sleep...ipod of course otherwsie the whole street would hear it gotta play it loud

''Dear Professor Snape,
Dude...It's called Shampoo.
Love Anomoulous xX''

Ways to Annoy Snape...Wink at him evertime you catch his eye

Come and Guess The Screenshot!!! http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=110197
Old December 17th, 2007, 3:08 am
Sixth Year

-your age
I'm 17.

-what you do (stay home with the kids, go to college, work in an office, etc)
I'm a student.

-what types of music you listen to
I listen to rock and alternative mostly.

-what effects your music has on you
It makes me feel better I guess.

And I listen to music because music makes it easy for me to reflect and think things through.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Music (Entertainment)