Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Hobbit movie news

Old February 12th, 2008, 8:34 pm
First Year

Tolkien Estate Sues New Line Cinema

Oh, dear. Here we go again.

What a roller coaster ride for The Hobbit. Jackson and New Line finally settle....Jackson named executive producer....Del Toro named director, to be made official after writer's strike....recently announced that the writer's strike is very close an end.

It's all looking good...now this.

Quote:
Monday February 11, 2008

Tolkien Estate Sues New Line Cinema

The plaintiffs seek more than $150 million in compensatory damages, unspecified punitive damages and a court order giving the Tolkien estate the right to terminate any rights New Line may have to make films based on other works by the author, including "The Hobbit."

Such an order would scuttle plans by New Line to make a two-film prequel based on "The Hobbit." "Rings" trilogy director Peter Jackson has already signed on to serve as executive producer on the project, which is tentatively slated to begin production next year, with releases planned for 2010 and 2011.

"The Tolkien trustees do not file lawsuits lightly, and have tried unsuccessfully to resolve their claims out of court," Steven Maier, an attorney for the Tolkien estate based in Britain, said in a statement. "New Line has not paid the plaintiffs even one penny of its contractual share of gross receipts despite the billions of dollars of gross revenue generated by these wildly successful motion pictures."

Read the entire article here.

Please settle very soon, people. We want our Tolkien movie!

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2008, 8:49 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: The Hobbit movie news

Oh please. This is just too much. I don't think we will see a Hobbit movie soon.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:54 am
Zonko's Employee

Seems like the Valar smiled on Peter Jackson's project when he made LotR into a film trilogy. Everything just came together for that.

Whereas the Hobbit project currently seems to be under a doom of Morgoth.

Old February 16th, 2008, 12:42 am
First Year

Serkis and Del Toro comment

These are the latest tidbits regarding The Hobbit. Click the links to view the entire articles.

Feb. 14th, 2008
Empire Exclusive: Del Toro Gives Hobbit Update On the original cast and that law suit.

Quote:
We caught up with Guillermo Del Toro but a few minutes ago and asked him for an update on the current situation with The Hobbit. Many sites have been reporting that his deal to direct is signed and sealed and just waiting for an end to the writers' strike before it's announced. But that’s not so, he says.

“I wish it was definite, but it isn’t,” he told us. “It’s still in talks, there are still a lot of 'T's to cross and 'I's to dot. It’s certainly not certain yet…But, as far as I’m concerned, [if it was definite] I would be packed in ten seconds”.

Many will know that earlier this week the Tolkien estate announced that they are suing New Line for money they say is owed them from the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which could potentially mean the studio loses the rights to make The Hobbit.

“I heard that, but I’m quite zen about those things,” Del Toro continued. “Since that news broke, I have not exchanged a single phone call with my lawyer or my manager or anyone. They talk about it and I have received some emails, but, as far as I’m concerned, until I’m on board I should not worry about it. I read about it, but there’s nothing I can do about it. This week seems to be the lawsuit week in Hollywood”.

Finally, if, fingers crossed, he does put pen to paper to direct The Hobbit and its sequel, we asked him if he’d bring back any of the Lord of the Rings cast whose characters appear in The Hobbit, like Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen.

“Yeah, absolutely. I’ve been pretty much incredibly open about the things that I love and don’t love in the past. I’ve turned down huge franchises in the past because there are parts of that world I don’t gel with. The reason I took Blade 2 is because I love the characters that Stephen Norrington created and the actors he used. That times ten is the reason why I’m interested in The Hobbit”

There may be lots of bizarre typos and randomly inserted symbols in stories in the near future, as we'll be typing with fingers crossed that this will finally happen.
~~

Feb. 15th, 2008:
Den of Geek Andy Serkis interview: Robert Rankin, The Hobbit, Tintin & more!

Quote:
And the question of the moment, really, which we’re surely nobody has ever asked. But would you be looking to get involved in The Hobbit?

"Yeah, well if The Hobbit happens, and there’s reason to believe that it will, then I think I’m in with a chance! Gollum is very much part of The Hobbit, after all."
Well, that's original actors for Gandalf, Saruman, Gollum and Galadriel all willing to return, with Peter Jackson on board, and a soon-to-be-director who wants them.

Now, let's get this lawsuit out of the way and get to work!

Old March 1st, 2008, 2:38 pm
Fourth Year

OMG! The hobbit is being made into a film? Can't wait, Lotr was like, one of my fave trilogies of all time! If Peter Jackson's doin it, then, great! But it confuses me a bit as to why he didn't do the hobbit first...

The books are amazing too!

Utopia: Teddy Lupin - 2009+

Thora Jinks - 2008/2010

And if you're feeling it, take a look at my art!

Old March 1st, 2008, 4:59 pm
Fifth Year

Re: The Hobbit Movie News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
Well, that's original actors for Gandalf, Saruman, Gollum and Galadriel all willing to return, with Peter Jackson on board, and a soon-to-be-director who wants them.
Wait, am I understanding right - they're going to keep the same cast for the characters listed above?? I really hope so. YAY!!!

EDIT: I've just read the posts about the lawsuit. Bloody suing!!! Who invented the idea of suing? Who? Because I'd like to sue them for ruining everyone's fun...

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Last edited by JJFinch; March 1st, 2008 at 5:05 pm.
Old March 1st, 2008, 7:16 pm
Third Year

The suing is totally OK, things has to be legal and correct.
If they didnt pay the right sot Tolkien they dont deserve to make movies about Tolkien´s works.

But anyway
Now the New Line is over... why people still insist in that Peter Jackson as a director of The Hobbit?? XDD As far as I know, now anyone knows anything about the future of The Hobbit.

Whatever, I hope Peter Jackson will be out of it anyway. It should have other director and other screenwriters...

Old March 24th, 2008, 6:29 pm
First Year

"Whatever, I hope Peter Jackson will be out of it anyway. It should have other director and other screenwriters... "

What Peter jackson did a good job with LOTR why shouldn't he be involved in the hobbit, And I'm pretty sure it's been announced that Jackson is involved in the movie.

And if peter jackson isn't involved in it then they'll ruin the film.

The reason the hobbit wasn't made into a film first was becaue new line didn't have the contract for it another company had it .

Old April 20th, 2008, 7:50 am
First Year

Official Announcement in 4-5 Days?!

Guillermo Del Toro says in an interview with ign.com, that news on his involvement with The Hobbit should come in the next four to five days.

Quote:
April 19, 2008 - Lord of the Rings fans waiting for a definite answer on Guillermo Del Toro's involvement in The Hobbit prequel films will soon have their answer. In an interview with IGN today, Del Toro revealed that a definitive answer would be coming in the next four or five days.

The Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth director further elaborated that meetings about music, casting and visual style had already taken place. Del Toro mentioned that if he was hired, he would be doing both prequels and that he would be using his own style rather than adhering to anything set in the Lord of the Rings films.

For more detailed comments, make sure to watch the excerpts from our interview at Comic Con. Click the embed below or watch it in our video player here.

The helmer joked that when the news comes it will be like watching the finale to American Idol with a really excited "fat guy."

Be sure to check back soon for more on this developing project.
Original article can be found by clicking here:
NYCC 08: Del Toro Circles The Hobbit
How close is the helmer to signing a deal?

Sounds like it's going to happen. I had been satisfied with his involvment if Jackson does not direct....but this statement worries me: "Del Toro mentioned that if he was hired, he would be doing both prequels and that he would be using his own style rather than adhering to anything set in the Lord of the Rings films."

I had thought he once said that he would stay close to the world and tone set in the Rings trilogy....

Guess all we can do is wait and see.

Quote:
And I'm pretty sure it's been announced that Jackson is involved in the movie.
Yes, Peter Jackson will be Executive Producer.

Old April 25th, 2008, 5:54 am
First Year

Official Announcement! Del Toro and McKellen on board!

It's official! Del Toro will direct The Hobbit! Ian McKellen will return as Gandalf!

Courtesy Variety.com:

Quote:
Guillermo del Toro to direct 'Hobbit'
Filmmaker signs on helm feature and sequel

In a major step forward on “The Hobbit,” Guillermo del Toro has signed on to direct the New Line-MGM tentpole and its sequel.
The widely expected announcement -- which had been rumored for several weeks -- came Thursday afternoon jointly from exec producers Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, New Line president Toby Emmerich, and Mary Parent, newly named chief of MGM’s Worldwide Motion Picture Group.

Del Toro’s moving to New Zealand for the next four years to work with Jackson and his Wingnut and Weta production teams. He’ll direct the two films back to back, with the sequel dealing with the 60-year period between “The Hobbit” and “The Fellowship of the Ring,” the first of the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy.

New Line is overseeing development and will manage production. Both pics are being co-produced and co-financed by New Line Cinema and MGM, with Warner Bros. distributing domestically and MGM handling international.

Del Toro won’t leave for New Zealand immediately as he’s still in post-production on U’s “Hellboy 2,” due out in July. His previous pic, “Pan’s Labyrinth,” was released through New Line’s Picturehouse and set a record as the highest grossing Spanish language film in U.S. box office history.

The official signing of Del Toro comes four months after New Line settled a lawsuit with Jackson over “The Lord of the Rings” and announced that it had agreed with MGM to turn J.R.R. Tolkien’s “Hobbit” into two live-action films. Sam Raimi had been perceived as the initial front-runner as director but Del Toro had emerged in recent months as the likely candidate.

The studios didn’t give a start date on production and don’t yet have a script. Though no screenplay deal’s been set, it’s expected that the “LOTR” scripting team of Jackson, Walsh and Philippa Boyens will collaborate with Del Toro.

With Del Toro blocking out four years for the project, it’s likely that the studios are aiming at starting shooting next year and releasing the films in late 2011 and 2012.

Jackson’s WETA stages, post-production and visual effects facilities -- built for “The Lord of the Rings” -- will be used for both films. And New Zealand will again be the site of Middle-earth, with the story centering on Bilbo Baggins taking the Ring of Power from Gollum.
Courtesy Stuff.co.nz:

Quote:
Director will call Middle-Earth home
The Dominion Post | Friday, 25 April 2008

PRECIOUS PAIR: Peter Jackson with director Guillermo del Toro, who is to move to New Zealand for four years to make two Lord of the Rings prequels.

BREAKING NEWS: Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth director Guillermo del Toro will spend four years in New Zealand making two films based on The Lord of the Rings prequel The Hobbit, it was confirmed today.

The official announcement was made in Hollywood by Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson - who will co-produce The Hobbit - fellow producer Fran Walsh, and executives from New Line Cinema and MGM.

Jackson and Walsh said del Toro was "a genuine storyteller" of outstanding ability.

"A true original, Guillermo is a cinematic magician who has never lost his child-like sense of wonder. He understands that the fantastic must be grounded in the real and that all stories are only ever a reflection of ourselves," say Jackson and Walsh.

"We have long admired Guillermo's work and cannot think of a more inspired filmmaker to take the journey back to Middle-earth. We are delighted ‘The Hobbit' is in such trustworthy hands."

Del Toro said he considered himself "blessed" to become part of the filmmaking community in New Zealand.

The Mexican-born filmmaker will base himself in New Zealand for four years to work with Wingnut Films and Weta production teams.

The two films will be shot back to back.

Del Toro's films include The Devil's Backbone, Blade II, and the Oscar-winning Pan's Labyrinth. His latest movie, Hellboy II: The Golden Army is due for release in July.
In addition, Sir Ian McKellen has added this to his filmography page on his official website, mckellen.com:

Quote:
2010 THE HOBBIT
Director: Guillermo del Toro
Role: Gandalf
Wow! I am speechless. I’m beside myself with excitement!

Old April 25th, 2008, 9:45 am
The Next Great Adventurer

I'm excited too.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:05 am
Winning Teamster

Yesss!! Isn't it great....

Interesting to see that snippet from Ian Mckellen's website.

But as far as I can see, 2010 is off the table. It'll have to be 2011 and 2012 now - there simply isn't enough time!

Think about it - they need a year's post production between filming and release date (that's how it worked for FotR and the time was tight). Therefore filming would have to be done around Christmas 2009. And it would presumably take a year, perhaps a little less.

So, count all of 2009 for filming.... that would leave Del Toro all of half a year for script writing and pre-production once he is finally done with Hellboy 2.

I'd say filming in 2010, films released 2011 and 2012.

I suppose that'll mean that Hobbit1 goes head to head with at least one of the DH films? Or are those scheduled for 2010?

I'd rather not have them in the same year - winter 2001 and 2002 were stressful. Instead of spreading out the joy for everyone HP and LotR went head-to-head both Christmas seasons, and I could have done without that. I want to have time to enjoy BOTH hypes to the full!

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:06 am
Zonko's Employee

Yay.

I am pleased about Del Toro. And glad he'll be working so closely with Peter and the gang.

My jury is out on the prospect of the second film though ... He’ll direct the two films back to back, with the sequel dealing with the 60-year period between “The Hobbit” and “The Fellowship of the Ring,” the first of the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy.

Hmmm.

Old April 25th, 2008, 10:11 am
Winning Teamster

Well, Pearl - at least this will give us all something to speculate ovr the next three years. I am really hopeing for more traffic over at the old Blue Place, to be honest!

My question above has been answered, I suppose.

I just found this over at Muggle Studies, in the DH thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
EVERYONE:

http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-po...-2010-a-55683/

Quote:
The official theatrical release date for the first of two parts of the seventh and final chapter of the Harry Potter series, Deathly Hallows: Part I, has been announced: November 19, 2010.

The date for the second part of the seventh film, Deathly Hallows: Part II, has not been revealed yet, though Warner Bros. already stated that it will make its way into theatres summer 2011.

That's a Friday

Well - this would mean that we'd have a big release in winter 2010, summer 2011, winter 2011 and winter 2012.

That would be lovely pacing.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:30 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
Well, Pearl - at least this will give us all something to speculate ovr the next three years. I am really hoping for more traffic over at the old Blue Place, to be honest!
Klio, I doubt I have the energy for it anymore. I'll take it as it comes.

It's absolutely great that McKellan returns as Gandalf, of course. McKellan just is Movie Gandalf. One can't possibly envisage any kind of Hobbit movie without him!

Quote:
Well - this would mean that we'd have a big release in winter 2010, summer 2011, winter 2011 and winter 2012.
*is briefly confused* *does the maths*

Ah. DH Part 1 in winter 2010, DH Part 2 in summer 2011.

Then the Hobbit movie in winter 2011 and the Bridge Film in winter 2012.

I'm a little bummed we have to wait so long for DH though.

And still a little about this jolly 'bridge' film, spanning the time period between The Hobbit and the beginning of LotR. Fanfiction, anyone????

However, on the bright side: I am really pleased they aren't splitting The Hobbit in two. Really, really pleased about that.

Now, if only Warner Brothers would listen to my pearls of wisdom about not splitting DH in half.

Old April 25th, 2008, 2:04 pm
Registered Animagus

Is Guillermo planning a LOTR shoot for the Hobbit and the Bridge though? It could well be that they shoot them seperately, in which case 2010 is perfectly viable.

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Old April 25th, 2008, 2:27 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Klio, I doubt I have the energy for it anymore. I'll take it as it comes.
Hmmm... what I have seen hereabouts makes me doubt that you lack the energy - interest and/or enthusiasm is another matter. I was, in fact, speaking generally, without any intentions to nudge you over there.

Quote:
It's absolutely great that McKellan returns as Gandalf, of course. McKellan just is Movie Gandalf. One can't possibly envisage any kind of Hobbit movie without him!
That's nit yet officially confirmed. his site could be campaigning or leaking almost finished realities - we can't tell as yet (I would think it's the second, but that's a guess).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodricHollow View Post
Is Guillermo planning a LOTR shoot for the Hobbit and the Bridge though? It could well be that they shoot them seperately, in which case 2010 is perfectly viable.
That's been confirmed. Back-to-back shooting for both films. In NZ.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
Old April 25th, 2008, 2:31 pm
Registered Animagus

Ah. Right. Yes, 2010 is going to be a problem then.

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Old April 25th, 2008, 8:09 pm
Winning Teamster

I should have given you an authoritative source for this - sorry that I forgot to do that.

here is the Variety article that was published less than 24 hours ago. This news is still very recent, so it hasn't become part of oublic knowledge just yet, I suppose....

http://www.variety.com/VR1117984595.html

EDIT:

more CRUCIAL information - really worth reading, from GDT himself.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008...-hobbit-films/

This clears up quite a lot, actually.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw

Last edited by Klio; April 25th, 2008 at 10:26 pm.
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:25 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
However, on the bright side: I am really pleased they aren't splitting The Hobbit in two. Really, really pleased about that.
Interesting: several of the reports had "corrected" this to saying that it will be The Hobbit in two parts. This makes sense: I cannot see Christopher Tolkien selling the rights for a "fanfiction" movie.

I am wondering how they got the rights to create a film that is "between the lines." Perhaps the fact that there is general information in the Rings appendices (to which Jackson holds the rights) is enough?
Quote:
Now, if only Warner Brothers would listen to my pearls of wisdom about not splitting DH in half.
Take everything I wrote about the lessons Rings offers Hallows, and replace "Hallows" with "Hobbit." There is no reason to do the Hobbit in two films. Beorn can chill with Bombadil as far as I'm concerned! ("Hi diddly Ho diddly, oh ursine friend! Honey and mead are as good for bear as man with Tom and his lady!")

Still, Del Toro will be a great director for this. He's good, folks. It makes up for Cuarón not doing it!

(How they can find a story for a second "fill the gap" film is a bit beyond me, though: I'm fearing all plot and no story a la Attack of the Clones!)

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; April 25th, 2008 at 10:29 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion