Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Hobbit movie news

Old January 16th, 2008, 8:44 pm
Sixth Year

Re: The Hobbit movie news

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
According to Elijah Wood, theres going to be another LOTR movie between the Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring.
Yeah, I heard about that, too. I wonder what it will be about?

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:09 pm
I want to believe

I can't wait to see the Hobbit, especially if Peter Jackson is going to be involved in the making of it! I'd not heard that there was going to be another movie though - that's interesting. I'm sure it'll be great though.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old January 17th, 2008, 5:34 am
Second Year

I'll certainly see The Hobbit movie (LOVE Smaug), but it's this second LOTR film that has me really interested. What exactly is it going to be about?!

Old January 17th, 2008, 12:56 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidPop View Post
I'll certainly see The Hobbit movie (LOVE Smaug), but it's this second LOTR film that has me really interested. What exactly is it going to be about?!
Merlin only knows!

The thing is: if they're planning to do a 'bridge' kind of story between The Hobbit and LotR, then what kind of source material will they use for it? What is the copyright situation with Tolkien's publishers? What's Christopher Tolkien's take on all this? It's just really ... odd.

Anyhow, my initial reaction to the 'second LotR film' ain't positive.

I'm looking forward to The Hobbit but the prospect of a 'second LotR' film just makes me feel like a curmudgeon, or an über-purist.

Old January 17th, 2008, 8:05 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Merlin only knows!

The thing is: if they're planning to do a 'bridge' kind of story between The Hobbit and LotR, then what kind of source material will they use for it? What is the copyright situation with Tolkien's publishers? What's Christopher Tolkien's take on all this? It's just really ... odd.

Anyhow, my initial reaction to the 'second LotR film' ain't positive.

I'm looking forward to The Hobbit but the prospect of a 'second LotR' film just makes me feel like a curmudgeon, or an über-purist.
I'm really excited about The Hobbit, too. It was my favorite LotR book.

I agree with you on the point that there is no source material for this "bridge" movie. I'm interested to see it, just because I like LotR, but it kind of seems like they're just going to make up the second movie. That doesn't sound too smart to me.

Old January 17th, 2008, 8:23 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione View Post
I agree with you on the point that there is no source material for this "bridge" movie. I'm interested to see it, just because I like LotR, but it kind of seems like they're just going to make up the second movie. That doesn't sound too smart to me.
My feelings exactly, hon.

I mean, I will watch anything about Middle-earth if it's well done but ... I dunno ... they've gotta base this thing on something the good Professor actually wrote.

Otherwise ...

Old January 28th, 2008, 7:27 am
First Year

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took
My feelings exactly, hon.

I mean, I will watch anything about Middle-earth if it's well done but ... I dunno ... they've gotta base this thing on something the good Professor actually wrote.

Professor Tolkien included in the appendices to The Lord of the Rings a timeline, The Tale of Years, that chronicles events in Middle-earth. There is enough information there, in my opinion, to support a film, or at least to provide a basis for the story. Here are some highlights that could be used. Words in parenthesis are mine:

-Bard (a human character from The Hobbit) rebuilds, and becomes King of, the township of Dale, which was destroyed by Smaug the dragon.

-Gandalf and Balin visit Bilbo in the Shire.

-Gollum leaves his cave in search of The Ring and "Baggins". Later he enters Mordor, and becomes acquainted with Shelob. (Further events involving Gollum, his capture by Sauron and his subsequent escape, Gandalf and Aragorn's search for him, Aragorn's capture of him, his imprisonment by the Elvenking [Thranduil], and another escape, all happen after Bilbo's farewell party, but possibly could be worked into this new film.)

-Théoden is born, and later becomes King of Rohan.

-Sauron declares himself openly, rebuilds his tower Barad-dûr in Mordor. Sends three Nazgûl to reoccupy Dol Guldur.

-Elrond reveals Aragorn's ancestry and true identity to him. He meets Arwen, daughter of Elrond.

-The last meeting of the White Council. They debate the Rings. Saruman lies that he has discovered that the One Ring washed downriver and into the sea. Saruman withdraws to Isengard, takes it as his own, and fortifies it. Being jealous and afraid of Gandalf, he sets spies to watch all his movements, and notes Gandalf's interest in the Shire.

-Aragorn meets Gandalf, and their friendship begins. Aragorn undertakes his journeys, and in disguise, serves Denethor's father in Gondor and Théoden's father in Rohan.

-Births of Frodo, Boromir, Faramir and Samwise. (In that order. Faramir and Sam in the same year.)

-Aragorn enters Lórien, and there meets again Arwen Undómiel. They pledge to marry (as mentioned in their scene in Rivendell on the bridge, in FotR).

-Denethor's father dies, and he becomes Steward of Gondor.

-Balin (whose tomb we see in FotR), enters Moria. He later dies, and the dwarf-colony is destroyed.

-Saruman dares to use the palantír he knew was in the tower of Orthanc, but becomes ensnared by Sauron, who has another palantír (Denethor has another, though we don't see it in the film). Saruman becomes a traitor to the White Council. His spies report that the Shire is being closely guarded by the Rangers, allies of Aragorn.

~

Christopher Tolkien has a tight hold on the rights to his father's other works, including The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, and apparently he does not intend to release them for a film.

Old January 28th, 2008, 10:31 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
-Elrond reveals Aragorn's ancestry and true identity to him. He meets Arwen, daughter of Elrond.
I really like that part of the story. Hopefully it is included in whatever movie this is that is going to be made.

Old January 28th, 2008, 11:16 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
-Bard (a human character from The Hobbit) rebuilds, and becomes King of, the township of Dale, which was destroyed by Smaug the dragon.

-Gandalf and Balin visit Bilbo in the Shire.

-Gollum leaves his cave in search of The Ring and "Baggins". Later he enters Mordor, and becomes acquainted with Shelob. (Further events involving Gollum, his capture by Sauron and his subsequent escape, Gandalf and Aragorn's search for him, Aragorn's capture of him, his imprisonment by the Elvenking [Thranduil], and another escape, all happen after Bilbo's farewell party, but possibly could be worked into this new film.)

-Théoden is born, and later becomes King of Rohan.

-Sauron declares himself openly, rebuilds his tower Barad-dûr in Mordor. Sends three Nazgûl to reoccupy Dol Guldur.

-The last meeting of the White Council. They debate the Rings. Saruman lies that he has discovered that the One Ring washed downriver and into the sea. Saruman withdraws to Isengard, takes it as his own, and fortifies it. Being jealous and afraid of Gandalf, he sets spies to watch all his movements, and notes Gandalf's interest in the Shire.

-Aragorn meets Gandalf, and their friendship begins. Aragorn undertakes his journeys, and in disguise, serves Denethor's father in Gondor and Théoden's father in Rohan.

-Births of Frodo, Boromir, Faramir and Samwise. (In that order. Faramir and Sam in the same year.)

-Aragorn enters Lórien, and there meets again Arwen Undómiel. They pledge to marry (as mentioned in their scene in Rivendell on the bridge, in FotR).

-Denethor's father dies, and he becomes Steward of Gondor.

-Balin (whose tomb we see in FotR), enters Moria. He later dies, and the dwarf-colony is destroyed.

-Saruman dares to use the palantír he knew was in the tower of Orthanc, but becomes ensnared by Sauron, who has another palantír (Denethor has another, though we don't see it in the film). Saruman becomes a traitor to the White Council. His spies report that the Shire is being closely guarded by the Rangers, allies of Aragorn.
Aiwendil, I agree that this is all fabulous material.

But all this stuff contained in the Appendices does not actually contain dialogue. So you would need an exceptionally good screenwriter to invent the dialogue.

PJ's LotR trilogy always hit the high notes when the films stuck to Tolkien's original prose. Even if they put a book character's lines in the mouth of someone else, when they stuck to Tolkien, they did OK. But some of the invented dialogue was, frankly, dreadful; e.g. Gimli talking about "squirrel droppings" and such-like.

Quote:
Christopher Tolkien has a tight hold on the rights to his father's other works, including The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, and apparently he does not intend to release them for a film.
Yes, quite. Hell would freeze over before C.T. would ever sell the film rights.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 3:58 am
First Year

Quote:
Aiwendil, I agree that this is all fabulous material.

But all this stuff contained in the Appendices does not actually contain dialogue. So you would need an exceptionally good screenwriter to invent the dialogue.

PJ's LotR trilogy always hit the high notes when the films stuck to Tolkien's original prose. Even if they put a book character's lines in the mouth of someone else, when they stuck to Tolkien, they did OK. But some of the invented dialogue was, frankly, dreadful; e.g. Gimli talking about "squirrel droppings" and such-like.
People were wondering where they would get source material, someone said it seemed as if they were going to make up the second film, and you said they should base it on something Tolkien actually wrote.

There it is. Yes, they would need to create dialogue, and figure out how to link everything together properly, but they do have source material to go by.

And I think Jackson's team, if they all return, would handle the writing pretty well. Yeah, you'll have an occasional, pardon the pun, "stinker" such as the example you provide, (and you just had to give one of the worst lines as an example), but I'm afraid that is nearly unavoidable considering the general audience these days.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 4:10 am
The Next Great Adventurer

It'll be interesting to see how they bring that source material to life. I know that the Silmarillion is constructed from that same kind of material and it's deadly dull (although JRR Tolkien didn't write it).

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old February 2nd, 2008, 7:57 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post
It'll be interesting to see how they bring that source material to life. I know that the Silmarillion is constructed from that same kind of material and it's deadly dull (although JRR Tolkien didn't write it).
Actually, J.R.R. Tolkien did write The Silmarillion. He began work on it in the early teens, before he wrote The Hobbit, which was published in 1937. His son, Christopher Tolkien, edited and published The Sil in 1977.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 4:57 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
Actually, J.R.R. Tolkien did write The Silmarillion. He began work on it in the early teens, before he wrote The Hobbit, which was published in 1937. His son, Christopher Tolkien, edited and published The Sil in 1977.

Indeed. The Silmarillion was JRR Tolkien biggest writting.

Actually, to publish The Silmarillion was the most impossible dream for JRR Tolkien. He tryed to publish The Silmarillion many times while he was alive... but any editor accepted it ...

The Silmarillion was never finished anyways.

But great that Christopher Tolkien finally publishing Tolkien´s master piece in 1977!!!

BTW: I am a kind of happy... ehh... Guillermo del Toro will direct The Hobbit
At least I love his spanish movies!!!!!!!

Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:46 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post
Dull? I avoided Sil for years because it didn't have hobbits.

It's an AMAZING book.

The events of the First Age make the events of the Third look like a Sunday school picnic.

And, yep, Tolkien most certainly wrote it. He just didn't finish it. Christopher did all the editing work.

Personally I would love a Downfall of Numenor movie. That would rock my world.

Or Beren and Luthien. That would be cool. Sauron as a werewolf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_Pupil View Post
BTW: I am a kind of happy... ehh... Guillermo del Toro will direct The Hobbit
At least I love his spanish movies!!!!!!!
Is it actually confirmed that del Toro is doing it? I was thoroughly spoiled for LotR but I'm not keeping abreast of the Hobbit movie news at all.

That's kind of wild. If nothing else, the visuals will be wonderful!

(I thought that Pan's Labyrinth was incredible. One of the most intense films I've ever seen.)

Old February 3rd, 2008, 5:53 am
First Year

Quote:

Is it actually confirmed that del Toro is doing it? I was thoroughly spoiled for LotR but I'm not keeping abreast of the Hobbit movie news at all.

That's kind of wild. If nothing else, the visuals will be wonderful!

(I thought that Pan's Labyrinth was incredible. One of the most intense films I've ever seen.)
Yes, it was publicized a few days ago that it is 99% certain that Guillermo del Toro will direct The Hobbit. Everything is done except the actual signing of papers, which will take place after the writer's strike has ended.

I'm cautiosly excited about this, I'd rather see Jackson or Fran Walsh direct. However, I've been comforted by several other major Tolkien fans that del Toro is the next best choice in their opinion.

Here is a decent article: Del Toro doubles up for 'Hobbit'

Old February 4th, 2008, 2:18 pm
Zonko's Employee

Yes, I'm cautiously excited and cautiously optimistic too.

Oddly enough, I'm not clamouring for PJ to do it. Although I love his LotR, I do have a few nitpicks about it as well. His big operatic approach towards the book did work well though.

But I've always thought that The Hobbit might benefit from a slightly different touch.

Old February 4th, 2008, 6:41 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Dull? I avoided Sil for years because it didn't have hobbits.
No Hobbits? I don't know if I can read a LotR books with no Hobbits in it.

Quote:
Yes, I'm cautiously excited and cautiously optimistic too.
Me too. But it has Hobbits! So it will be fine.

Old February 4th, 2008, 10:15 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangerHermione View Post
No Hobbits? I don't know if I can read a LotR books with no Hobbits in it.
That was exactly my reaction for many years, GH.

What on earth is a book by Tolkien without hobbits?

But, honestly, Silmarillion is wonderful. The Elves in it are very, very cool. Very, very deadly and incredibly feisty. They're also very tragic.

Quote:
But it has Hobbits! So it will be fine.
That's the spirit!

Old February 8th, 2008, 8:50 am
First Year

Christopher Lee willing to return as Saruman?

Popmatters has an article on the career of Christopher Lee, in which he expresses interest in reprising his role as Saruman.

Link: Christopher Lee remains busy after 60 years of acting

Relevant excerpt:
Lee not only has impressive knowledge of golf and film, he also in something of an expert on the work of J.R.R. Tolkien.

“I remember first reading `The Lord of the Rings’ back in the 1950s,” Lee said. “I thought they would make great movies, but technically it couldn’t be done back then. I envisioned myself playing Gandolf (eventually played by Ian McKellen) but I did end up getting the part of Saruman.”

Noting that it was recently announced that Peter Jackson had agreed to film a couple of prequels about “The Hobbit,” Lee said he hoped that “Mr. Jackson” might found a place for him in those movies.

“I don’t know if that will happen but I would certainly be interested in doing it,” Lee said.

It would be surprising if Jackson couldn’t find a part for Christopher Lee, a man who has been a movie icon for more than 50 years and is still going strong.

I certainly hope it will happen! Awesome!

Old February 8th, 2008, 1:40 pm
Zonko's Employee

Yes, seeing Saruman at The White Council would certainly be pretty cool.