Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Hobbit movie news

Old November 4th, 2007, 3:55 pm
Third Year

Re: The Hobbit movie news

I never heard or thought of The Hobbit being a movie, but it fits I guess and I would love to see it.
This is what it said on IMDB
Quote:
Comments:New Line and Jackson are rumored to be in talks, but no agreements have been announced
So I don't know what to think, again I would love to see it, so I hope it is bgoing to be filmed.

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2007, 11:07 pm
Fourth Year

Oh, that would be great and with Peter jackson directing it a dream come true!! The Hobbit was the first book of the gender that I read when I was only 10 (quite a bit ago) and was the one that got me in the reading LotR, Silmarilion, Harry Potter and so many others!
I'm already writing some emails to the people involved in the film that I've got from the link!!!

Old November 16th, 2007, 10:29 pm
Fourth Year

I've seen the animated version and I don't care for it. If someone is going to do "The Hobbit" I would love for Jackson to take it. I trust him as he really did an excellent job on the LOTR's films. I have read the book and ,unlike the animated film, it didn't mesh "The Hobbit" and "The Fellowship of the Ring" together, so I don't know if a two parter is necessary. Unless, Jackson would like to add some early history on Frodo then he may need to do another film, but otherwise I think one will do. It's past time for it to be done if you ask me.

Old November 19th, 2007, 2:16 pm
Third Year

Oh gosh no.
As I love The Hobbit, so much, definitely I will NOT like PJ adding more Frodo in The Hobbit as well, where those characters should NOT be. Gosh Arwen , Legolas, Aragorn noo XDD

He did enough ripping characters of LOTR.

the Hobbit is a perfect book to made a total faithful movie without any change.

But Peter Jackson doing The Hobbit, as he did with some characters of LOTR::: that sounds more like an horror movie.
yeap, an horror movie XDDDDDDDDDD

Last edited by Wizard_Pupil; November 19th, 2007 at 2:19 pm.
Old November 19th, 2007, 3:35 pm
Fourth Year

^I agree with you regarding the content of the movie being just Hobbit related, withou including any other characters, since the book is awesome and have great characters without the need of any changes or inclusion. However I desagree with you when you say that Peter Jackson didn't do great with LotR. For me the movies are brilliant nd he did a amazing job!! And I trust that he would do the same with The Hobbit, at least this is my opinion.

Old December 19th, 2007, 11:12 pm
First Year

It's cool that Jackson's back even if he is the producer instead of director. I can’t wait to see this in 2010!

Old December 20th, 2007, 1:55 am
Fourth Year

^Yes it is! As I said before I would love to see him directing it but I think that to have him as producer is good enough. I didn't know that they already set a date for the release of the movie - 2010, that's quite a long wait!

Old December 20th, 2007, 5:38 am
First Year

Additional information

December 19, 2007 A Long-Expected Party!

It has finally happened!

Here are some additional news articles:

Courtesy imdb.com:

Quote:
Providing few details, Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema have settled their differences over Jackson's share of profits fro the Lord of the Rings trilogy and will proceed to make The Hobbit, a planned prequel to the trilogy. "I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson said in a statement. He indicated that The Hobbit will be produced as two separate films beginning in 2009 but will be shot simultaneously, with the first film due to be released in 2010 and the second the following year (provided that the writers' strike does not extend long into 2008). The two films could breathe new life into New Line, which has experienced a raft of flops over the past year, with only Hairspray a bona fide hit. It could also boost the fortunes of MGM, which will co-finance the films with New Line. It, too, has experienced a low batting average, although its films have generally had a much lower production cost than New Line's, whose latest release, The Golden Compass, reportedly cost more than $200 million to make but has generated only $41 million in domestic ticket sales and $90 million in overseas sales after two weeks. Although Rings fans expressed delight at the announcement, their response was muted by trade reports that it was unlikely that Jackson would direct the Hobbit films. MGM Chairman Harry Sloan told Reuters that Jackson was committed to other film projects, making it impossible for him to direct the Hobbit films and simultaneously fulfill other obligations, which include directing the film version of The Lovely Bones and co-directing, with Steven Spielberg, Tintin.

More information can be found here.

~

Quote:
"Sounds like a ploy to double the money by doubling the number of movies. Not good and I'm disappointed in PJ."
I do not know the facts, but I really think the two-part decision was made by New Line and/or MGM, not Jackson. If someone knows for sure, please let us know.

Quote:
"The second for sure it´s an invention of Peter Jackson, a whole story about Aragorn, Frodo, Arwen, Legolas childhood"....
Quote:
"maybe someone can tell me where they can cut it into two films"
First of all, if you go by the book, Frodo was not yet born, Aragorn was a child, and Arwen was in Lórien.

But seriously, Tolkien fans have discussed in depth where The Hobbit could be split, and the majority believe that the dwarves' arrival at the boarder of Mirkwood would be the best place to end the first part. With Jackson on board, scenes involving Gandalf's simultaneous business with the White Council and the Necromancer (Sauron in disguise), as revealed in the appendices of LotR, are virtually guaranteed. Once again, most, but not all, Rings fans approve of this. That would add a decent amount of time to the film.

However, it is also rumored that the first film will wrap up the story of The Hobbit, and the second film will consist entirely of things that happen between LotR and The Hobbit; therefore bridging the two stories.

With Jackson involved, that hopefully means the return of Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving and Andy Serkis as Gandalf, Elrond, and Gollum!

If scenes of the White Council are indeed included, Jackson would most likely be able to get Rings cast members Cate Blanchett and Christopher Lee to reprise their roles as Galadriel and Saruman as well.

Hooray! Finally, after many tears and years of waiting, “The Hobbit” will happen! We went there, and now we can go back again. This is so exciting!

Last edited by Aiwendil; December 20th, 2007 at 6:13 am.
Old December 20th, 2007, 9:12 am
First Year

I love that rumor about making one movie about "The Hobbit" and one movie about things happened between TH and LotR, because I just cannot see turning TH into two movies. It's been a while since I read that book, but I do remember I found it rather dull, and 2 movies would just be overkill in my opinion. But then Tolkien wrote so much more about Middle Earth, so if they make one TH and one based on Sillmarilion (sp?), I'd be down with that.

Johnny Depp
is...

Harry Potter

Old December 21st, 2007, 2:56 am
First Year

Silmarillion

Unfortunately, J.R.R. Tolkien's son, Christopher Tolkien, has a tight hold on the rights to The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and other works, and does not like the idea of a film adaptation.

However, there is plenty of information in the appendices of LotR that could be made into a "bridge" film. There was also a mention of using certain notes made by Tolkien, but I do not know the facts on that one.

Old December 21st, 2007, 8:28 am
Definitely not Fourth Year (that's a bit boring)

Do you think Peter Jackson will be able to have input on where the film is made? It would be great if his native New Zealand was used again, as the awesome scenery fitted Middle Earth so well. And Weta Digital, and all the guys who took such care about the detailing of the sets, costumes - all of it! - in LOTR - it was the attention to detail that swept us up in the totally believable world. - And not forgetting the score - if only they could persuade Howard Shore to come on board - and Ian McKellan to reprise his role as Gandalf - it could be good if it all came together.

The trouble is that it has to be the equal of LOTR in feeling, and that's why we wanted Peter Jackson to take the helm - anything else may fall short in comparison.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 8:44 pm
First Year

Being executive producer gives Peter Jackson complete creative control, so most likely it will be done in NZ (the Shire set they built into a hill on a farm is still intact), and with Weta. Hopefully, if someone other than Peter or Fran Walsh directs, Peter will still make sure that the "feeling" and continuity of his Middle-earth remains the same. Jackson also kept many props, sets and costumes from LotR, so that's good.

Ian McKellen and Howard Shore have both expressed, more than once I believe, that they would love to return to Middle-earth if Jackson is involved. I don't think there will be much need for persuasion!

Old December 31st, 2007, 8:13 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbylikesme View Post
I love that rumor about making one movie about "The Hobbit" and one movie about things happened between TH and LotR, because I just cannot see turning TH into two movies. It's been a while since I read that book, but I do remember I found it rather dull, and 2 movies would just be overkill in my opinion. But then Tolkien wrote so much more about Middle Earth, so if they make one TH and one based on Sillmarilion (sp?), I'd be down with that.
In the book The Hobbit a lot of detail concerning the different places in the book and the histories of various different peoples is given. Part of the magic of movies is the ability to show rather than just tell. However, that being said, the tale of The Hobbit alone does not seem to make for a good two movies. The Lord of the Rings movies could have easily been elongated and split into two movies each (heck, that's what happened with the books - there's a "book one" and "book two" for each section of the trilogy). Admittedly, that would probably be overkill sequel-wise for the movies.

Brave, Loyal, Smart.

"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?"
"So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking" ~Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Old December 31st, 2007, 9:23 pm
Zonko's Employee

Well, the idea is that the two movies will be:

1) The Hobbit
Which is good news.

and:

2) A bridge movie that covers the period between The Hobbit and the events leading up to LotR.
And it's this idea that makes me feel rather

I suppose they will include stuff like The White Council and Aragorn's years in exile and ... well, who knows what, but honestly, this really makes me feel rather nervous.

I think the title for the second film should be: Milking the Tolkien Cash Cow For All It's Worth.

I speak as a fan who greatly enjoyed the LotR film trilogy, btw.

Old January 4th, 2008, 8:37 am
Seventh Year

I was glad to hear that Peter Jackson will be involved in The Hobbit. It would have been great to see him directing again but oh well. I find it interesting that there will be two films. I like the idea of the second being the "bridging" film. I just don't see how you'd split The Hobbit into two. I'm hoping that the two films will be filmed in New Zealand as well.

Old January 4th, 2008, 9:15 pm
Sixth Year

Oh, wow! I didn't know that they were making a Hobbit film! I've only seen the cartoon one. I like it, but a REAL film will be so much better! The Hobbit was my favorite LotR book, and I'm excited to see it now that I know!
Thanks!
-GH

Old January 7th, 2008, 6:16 pm
Second Year

excelent, glad it's comin out. I hope Jackson directs.

Old January 7th, 2008, 9:11 pm
Fourth Year

I don't know how to feel about this right now. I was a huge LOTR fan and still think they are rather good, but I'm not all that interested in this right now. I'm sure it will be fantastic, though.

Old January 9th, 2008, 6:56 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacheeto View Post
I hope Jackson directs.
Unfortunately, he will not be directing. He definitely has a large role in the making of the films though - he will be an executive producer.

Old January 13th, 2008, 9:22 pm
Third Year

According to Elijah Wood, theres going to be another LOTR movie between the Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring.

All opinions in the above post are the personal opinions of HouseStark, unless they are quoted from another source. Any and all views in the above post are purely opinion, unless they can be verified by scientific data or historical record.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion