Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Hobbit movie news

Old October 12th, 2007, 2:00 am
First Year

The Hobbit movie news

Hello,

I know that many Lord of the Rings fans are also fans of Harry Potter, and I would assume vice versa. Hope this is of interest!

I thought I would post some of the recent news surrounding a film version of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit”, (which set the stage for Lord of the Rings), for those who are either unaware or not up to date on the situation.

For the best article, get the latest issue (October 12th) of Entertainment Weekly, which features a nice cover story named “Return of the Rings?” with Gollum on the cover. Tolkien fans are thrilled to see this amount of coverage, in print most especially, for a project that is in such early stages. The more attention this brings to the situation, the better. The awareness of the general public, in addition to the fans, will brighten the spotlight on the legal situation and those responsible; hopefully making them want to speed things up.

Thankfully, things are already beginning to look good. Here are a few links to start with:

MTV Movies Blog
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/10/10...in-the-future/

Let the Hobbit Happen Campaign
http://www.thehobbitfilm.com/

The Frodo Franchise
http://www.kristinthompson.net/blog/

It is being said that there will be two films made, either splitting the story of The Hobbit in two, or having the second film take place in the sixty years between The Hobbit and LotR, thereby connecting the two stories. Most likely, that would include scenes based on information Tolkien later added to the appendices of LotR, like the White Council and their dealings with the Necromancer (Sauron).

The Hobbit story introduces us to a few characters featured in LotR: Gandalf, Bilbo, Elrond and Gollum. If we get to see the White Council, we would also see Saruman, Galadriel, and hopefully a character cut from LotR: Radagast the Brown.

Many of the actors from the Rings trilogy have shown support for the film, if Rings director Peter Jackson is involved. Most notably Ian McKellen (Gandalf) and Cate Blanchett (Galadriel). If Jackson is indeed involved, we could also see the return of Hugo Weaving, Andy Serkis, Christopher Lee and possibly Ian Holm, as their respective characters.

The fans are somewhat divided on what they want to see. Many want Peter Jackson as director, which would mean much continuity with the world and style he established in LotR. Others want to see someone else’s vision of Middle-earth, and a film truer to the lighter tone of the book.

What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2007, 2:10 am
Second Year

Re: The Hobbit movie news

I really want Peter Jackson to direct it, and I hope they get as many of the original actors as they can.
It would be awesome if they had stuff from the appendixes. I knew that the Hobbit movie was a possibility, but I didn't know any of the little details about it. Didn't Peter Jackson say he wasn't going to work for New Line again until they paid him more for the Fellowship or something? Or did that all get worked out? I really don't know much about the whole thing .
The sooner it comes out, the better.

R.I.P. Severus Snape - Trustworthy to the end

Proud member of OFINOA!!!
Old October 12th, 2007, 4:44 am
First Year

Lawsuit

It is beginning to be worked out.

Here is a great summary of the legal situation…it’s lengthy, but well worth the read if you’re interested: http://www.kristinthompson.net/blog/?p=114

Peter Jackson was going to audit New Line for money he is owed for the LotR films, and apparently New Line failed to cough it up. As a result, a judge has fined New Line Cinema $125,000 for withholding and possibly destroying documents. They are set to go to court in January 2008. But it is very possible that they will settle out of court, which NL is well-known for doing.

A quote from the FF article: “Given that Peter’s lawyers have finally mentioned $100 million as their estimate of the sum involved just for the first film, the settlement could grow to astronomical proportions. Still, more and more it looks as if New Line may soon bite the bullet and settle the case out of court, avoiding a protracted struggle which they might lose anyway.”

A quote from New Line Cinema’s Michael Lynne in an interview by Charlie Rose earlier this year: “We have a disagreement with Peter about auditing. It happens a lot. It ought to be resolvable. What happens in going forward in terms of working together or not, the future will tell.”

Another snippet: “In August Peter and partner Fran Walsh issued a statement: ‘Peter and Fran have always wanted to do The Hobbit but whether that happens is yet to be decided.’ ... It sounds like they’re ready, and they are well aware that their fans are, to say the least, eager to hear that they will be making the film.”

Apparently, Peter Jackson is still being strongly considered to either direct or executive produce The Hobbit. He’s definitely still in the running.

Also, Jackson and co. will wrap up their work on The Lovely Bones soon, so it’s quite possible that their schedule can be shifted to fit in The Hobbit.

I'm glad that I was able to help you get up to date on this!

Old October 12th, 2007, 9:05 am
The Next Great Adventurer

I can't imagine anyone besides PJ doing the movie. Not only did his unique vision bring LOTR to life, but he already has secondary production teams that know exactly how to bring the special effects to life (and according to Peter's vision).

I'd love to see some of the original cast in the movie, but other than Gandalf and Bilbo, they didn't really feature in the story. And Bilbo will have to be played by someone other than Ian Holm.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old October 12th, 2007, 1:08 pm
Second Year

Thanks for all of the info, Aiwendil!

R.I.P. Severus Snape - Trustworthy to the end

Proud member of OFINOA!!!
Old October 12th, 2007, 1:58 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post
I'd love to see some of the original cast in the movie, but other than Gandalf and Bilbo, they didn't really feature in the story. And Bilbo will have to be played by someone other than Ian Holm.
Not so. They can make him look younger via CGI these days. Cost a packet, given that he's the central character and thus is in nearly every scene, but it's plausable.

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Old October 12th, 2007, 3:06 pm

It wouldn't look natural, despite the advanced technology. I suspect they'll just find someone who can pass as a younger Ian Holm since that is what is usually done. With all the expense they'll have with the needed SFx, I can't see them making their jobs even more difficult. Unless they decide he doesn't look too old for the part.

Old October 12th, 2007, 4:25 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
It wouldn't look natural, despite the advanced technology. I suspect they'll just find someone who can pass as a younger Ian Holm since that is what is usually done.
I actually hope they do at least this and keep things close to the actual LOTR movies. Currently I can't imagine it be done in another style than Peter Jacksons. Additionally it would be just nice to get the main books that way.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 12th, 2007, 4:52 pm

It's been a roller coaster all year about whether they would use PJ. It isn't settled yet, but it does look more hopeful than it had earlier this year.

I can't imagine anyone doing a better job than him.

Old October 12th, 2007, 5:07 pm
Eldest Gruff

Yes, I remember when back a few months ago when we already thought there's no more hope for Jackson doing it over at Eastfarthings (Tolkien forum). It really was a relief to read that we can hope again!

I guess actually I wouldn't mind the actors too much, if just the style does not change too much. Ian McKellen seems to be a must, though.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old October 12th, 2007, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post
Yes, I remember when back a few months ago when we already thought there's no more hope for Jackson doing it over at Eastfarthings (Tolkien forum). It really was a relief to read that we can hope again!

I guess actually I wouldn't mind the actors too much, if just the style does not change too much. Ian McKellen seems to be a must, though.
Agreed, we have to have McKellen. They better get moving, too. He isn't getting any younger.

Old October 12th, 2007, 6:17 pm
Fourth Year

Thanks Aiwendil, I'm so happy about the news! For me, it has to be PJ and team, along with McKellen and Andy Serkis. The Hobbit is my favorite book from childhood and some of the images have been seared into my brain for decades. Can't wait to see Mirkwood and spiders, Gollum's riddle, and Smaug with his jewel encrusted belly. I'm fascinated by the extra material and what Jackson might use for a second movie. Though I haven't read much beyond the Trilogy (only the Silmarillion), I'd like to see more of Galadriel, Sauron (in elf form), and the story of the other Rings of Power. Wonder who they'll cast as Bilbo, Thorin, et al? Time to speculate!!!

Old October 13th, 2007, 1:58 am
Ravenclaw Prefect

Quote:
I can't imagine anyone besides PJ doing the movie. Not only did his unique vision bring LOTR to life, but he already has secondary production teams that know exactly how to bring the special effects to life (and according to Peter's vision).

Well, as part of The Hobbit takes place in the Elves' home in Mirkwood, where Legolas comes from, Orlando Bloom could certainly make an appearance, both in the woodland scenes and in the final battle--not a major part, of course, but his presence would be completely reasonable in the framework of Tolkien's story. And Liv Tyler's Arwen might be able to show up in the Rivendell scenes if Arwen wasn't in Lothlorien at the time (can't remember my Arwen timeframe well enough to recall where she was during the events of Hobbit). Just because Tolkein didn't identify them as being present in The Hobbit doesn't mean that they weren't--after all, he had yet to broaden out his world to include these characters when he wrote that story. But it makes sense for them to be there in the films. If they do anything with the White Council in the films, they'll need to get Christopher Lee back, too--who else could play Saruman?

And of course, there's always Andy Serkis' character--he'll have to return as well, dontcha think?

Awesome Ravenclaw Princess of the Strawberry-ness/Pottermore Ravenclaw & Thunderbird
Back to COS, the Forum that Lived
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:21 am

I think quite a few of the LOTR actors could slip in, either as their LOTR characters or their prior generation relatives, but they would be cameos since they couldn't take up much screen time from the main story.

Andy Serkis and Ian McKellan are definitely part of the plot. And it all depends on Ian Holm being considered an appropriate age. Bilbo didn't age much once he got the ring, so maybe the Bilbo we saw vanish at his party in FOTR can be considered the right age and Ian Holm could be Bilbo.

Old October 14th, 2007, 2:54 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Bilbo didn't age much once he got the ring, so maybe the Bilbo we saw vanish at his party in FOTR can be considered the right age and Ian Holm could be Bilbo.
True, though it's already been almost 10 years since Ian Holm filmed Bilbo (time flies!). I can't remember Bilbo's specified age in the book, but I always pictured him around 30s/40s. Of course Ian Holm is a wonderful actor, though I'd be happy if they went with someone younger.

Old October 15th, 2007, 7:49 am

I had thought about the fact that maybe 10 years had elapsed and Ian Holm, who was no spring chicken then, might look too old. He didn't have a lot of screen time in all three movies, and I think that they could slip in someone appropriate and it would still work. I can't seen anyone else as Gollum or Gandalf, however.

Old October 20th, 2007, 1:32 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermaryne View Post
True, though it's already been almost 10 years since Ian Holm filmed Bilbo (time flies!). I can't remember Bilbo's specified age in the book, but I always pictured him around 30s/40s. Of course Ian Holm is a wonderful actor, though I'd be happy if they went with someone younger.
He is 50 in the book, but hobbits age more slowly than do "big folk": 33 for a hobbit is supposed to be about the same as 21 for us. So, Bilbo would have been about the same as big person in his/her mid 30's: or right where you put him!

It is a little unfortunate that the Hobbit was not done first. I read quite a few comments from non-readers asking if there was something important about Bilbo going West with Frodo. They basically had forgotten all about him, as he had not been in the film prior to that, and Bilbo had not been seen 2 years at that time! Of course, I've known Bilbo since I first read the books nearly 30 years before, so of course it meant something to me: but when I took of my Lord-of-the-Rings-fan hat, I realized that he basically just popped out of nowhere in the end!

That being said, Ian Holm, Peter Jackson, and Ian Ian McLellan all commented then that Holm was too old to play Bilbo in the Hobbit. He really was too old to play it in Lord of the Rings, but it would have just looked wrong to have a man in his mid-30's being an avuncular figure to a man in his early 20's.

It does read as if New Line is pulling its head out of its collective nether orifice and getting back on page with Peter Jackson. I know that many Tolkien absolutely hated Jackson et al.'s films, but the general public (who outnumber Tolkien fans in a way that makes Helm's Deep look like a fair fight!) disagreed. So did the Illuminati, for that matter!

Rhys Davies most certainly will not be returning: the prosthetics nearly killed him! That is too bad, as he could have done Thorin very well, and he clearly loved the project: when his face did not feel like it was on fire!

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old October 21st, 2007, 3:52 am
First Year

It would be wonderful for PJ to direct the Hobbit, as he was so very true to the LOTR trilogy books, and his vision for LOTR was brilliant. It is great to see that there is a hope again that he will direct the Hobbit. It just would not be the same if he did not direct it, and I really think he should be the only director to ever be considered for it.

I LOVE MAGIC!!!!!!
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:13 pm
First Year

I really hope PJ gets to do this movie. Even though there were about a million details in his LOTR movies that I wished would have been included or left out, I thought he did an amazing job of portraying the overall story, and especially the feel of Middle Earth.

Anyone else wouldn't be able to duplicate it... and I'd be afraid that they would know that, and try to make their vision as different from Jackson's as possible. Which would end up being horrible.

It would also be awesome if Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis reprise their roles. I'm kind of indifferent on Ian Holm as Bilbo... it would be nice for continuity, but he probably would be too old. Although when I read The Hobbit I think I incorrectly pictured Bilbo as older anyway, so the age really wouldn't bother me.

Old October 27th, 2007, 3:09 am
First Year

Peter Jackson directing the hobbit? Of course! He brought the story to life on screen, very good movies. Can watch them in one sitting though lol. don't know how I saw The Return of the King in theatres without going for a bathroom break lol.

I would definately see the Hobbit if it came out as a movie for I loved the book, very differant from any of the books out today, amazing.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion