Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Old January 26th, 2008, 7:29 am
First Year

Re: Batman 2: The Dark Knight

Quote:
Cant say I know... I think the Alfred VO one might be fan-made but not sure about the others...

I like the new look of the Joker too. I liked him in the comics but for the movie I don't think it would be as effective using that make-up style. I know it sort of worked for Jack Nicholson but I prefer this new approach.
There are only two TDK trailers, the one online here:

www.atasteforthetheatrical.com (click "download now") and the teaser with the exploding logo.

There's also a ten minute "prologue" for the film that was released in IMAX that can be found online in poor quality if you search hard enough.

Quote:
A thing that bothers me from what I've seen is that the Joker's face looks like make-up whereas the proper comic book Joker's face looks like that without make-up.
Don't be so sure. While it does look like he wears makeup, it's ambiguous as to how much makeup he wears. You'll notice in all the shots of him in prison in the trailer, the white, black and red are still there but they're much more "untidy". It's very unlikely he'd be allowed makeup in jail.

Quote:
The Joker is such a great character where as Batman, while being important isn't nearly as interesting.
How so? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious as to what you mean.

I always liked Batman the most out of all the "superheroes" because he wasn't a superhero. He's just a guy. I like it he has that mortality. I also like how he walks a fine moral line. He's always teetering on the edge of falling from wanting justice to wanting revenge.

Quote:
1. Bruce Wayne has a tattered image at the end of the last one, I wonder if him and his Batman side will continue to conflict or if he will find a way to better his image with the public.
Bruce needs to have a bad public image to prevent people from making the connection between him and Batman. If Bruce continues to act like a nonchalant "playboy", no one will ever think he would be so dedicated to something like Batman. There are more Bruce "antics' in TDK.

Quote:
3. With the rebuilding of the house and cave, I wonder if that will be done in the beginning of the The Dark Knight or if there will still be work to do.
Borrowing from comic books in the 70's, Bruce has relocated to a penthouse apartment in the city. A substitute 'batcave' is underneath the building (I think Wayne actually owns the building itself).

Quote:
4. There does seem the possibility for Dr. Crane to be coming back, it seemed they left the door wide open for his character.
He's back. The details aren't great at the moment, but it is beleived he is one of the many gangs fighting over Falcone's empire.

Quote:
Okay I feel really dumb now, because I love Batman, but I am not up on the comics...what is the Dark Knight series? Was that a cartoon or a comic book?

I am fine with Robin not being there, but I still would love to see Poison Ivy, was she in the Dark Knight Series?
I think the poster who said that has their wires crossed a bit. Nolan's series is actually mostly based on the graphic novels by Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb. They are The Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Haunted Knight. Poison Ivy does have a role in them - but she won't ever appear in a Chris Nolan Batman movie, he prefers the realistic characters.

The books depict a battle between the traditional crime element and the freaks. Most of the villains Nolan has used (with the exception of Ra's Al Ghul) have been in these books. They feature The Joker, Two-Face, Catwoman, The Riddler, The Scarecrow, Mad Hatter, Poison Ivy, The Penguin and lesser known villains, such as Solomon Grundy.

They also feature the Falcone and Maroni crime families (found in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight respectively).

In addition to this, Nolan also draws inspiration from different comic books. For instance, for the Joker he is looking at the first appearance of The Joker (where he acts as a killer who announces his crimes - several things have been directly adapted from this into the movie), The Joker's Five Way Revenge (where he seeks revenge against the people who have betrayed him - he seems to be targetting the various mobs in Gotham in the movie version for this), The Killing Joke (the book which pretty much characterised him and gave him an origin) and The Dark Knight Returns (which is where I beleive the original poster got confused).

As for villain bets, there are three known "costumed" villains in The Dark Knight: The Joker, The Scarecrow and another which it would be a spoiler to name.

Catwoman has been rumoured to appear alongside Two-Face in the third one, and The Joker was supposed to make a return as well - although he will probably be removed from plans in light of Heath Ledger's sad passing.

Old January 26th, 2008, 8:56 am
Registered Animagus

Thanks for clearing up the trailer thing.. I guess that partially explains why they're so bad

Quote:
How so? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious as to what you mean.
I don't know... I just find Batman (in the movies) very 1 dimensional and uninteresting. In the comics he's got more personality but the last movie I especially disliked him. He is a good doer but I just didn't like him.
Spiderman for example. He is a hero (given he has 'powers') and in the movies I found him very likable because he is human. He acts like a normal person. I'm not sure if it's how the movie was written or the acting but I found Batman to be a very boring character with few human qualities.

Old January 26th, 2008, 1:53 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScarecrow View Post
I always liked Batman the most out of all the "superheroes" because he wasn't a superhero. He's just a guy. I like it he has that mortality. I also like how he walks a fine moral line. He's always teetering on the edge of falling from wanting justice to wanting revenge.
That is exactly why I like him so much too. I also can't help but go for the "Man in Black"

Quote:
Bruce needs to have a bad public image to prevent people from making the connection between him and Batman. If Bruce continues to act like a nonchalant "playboy", no one will ever think he would be so dedicated to something like Batman. There are more Bruce "antics' in TDK.
I understand this but at times it is hard to watch because you know that is not who he truely is. I like the conflict though.

Quote:
He's back. The details aren't great at the moment, but it is beleived he is one of the many gangs fighting over Falcone's empire.
Sweet.

Quote:
Poison Ivy does have a role in them - but she won't ever appear in a Chris Nolan Batman movie, he prefers the realistic characters.
She's my favorite.

Quote:
As for villain bets, there are three known "costumed" villains in The Dark Knight: The Joker, The Scarecrow and another which it would be a spoiler to name.
Could you put the spoiler name in the spoiler tags?

Quote:
Catwoman has been rumoured to appear alongside Two-Face in the third one, and The Joker was supposed to make a return as well - although he will probably be removed from plans in light of Heath Ledger's sad passing.
Catwoman annoys me. I can't say why, maybe I need to read the books. But, I was never a big fan of her.

Thanks for your very informative post TheScarecrow!!!

Old January 26th, 2008, 3:44 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
Catwoman annoys me. I can't say why, maybe I need to read the books. But, I was never a big fan of her.
Catwoman can be a bit blah as she is the only major character of Batman's rogues' gallery who is simply incarcerated rather than sent to Arkham Asylum.

I'd like to see Bane but he really needs a movie of his own as he is not well known to the general public and his treatment in one of the previous movie series was a travesty.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old January 26th, 2008, 5:22 pm
Second Year

Quote:

Exactly! This is why Batman is the greatest. He's so much more complex and interesting than any of the other superheroes. I love that he's a real guy fighting for justice. Not some immortal superhuman strength guy wearing tights and a speedo.

You're right though he does walk he does walk that thin line between fighting for justice and fighting for revenge. I love that complexity though.

Old January 26th, 2008, 7:17 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
I'd like to see Bane but he really needs a movie of his own as he is not well known to the general public and his treatment in one of the previous movie series was a travesty.
As the sidekick of Posion Ivy?

Old January 27th, 2008, 3:08 am
First Year

Quote:
While Michelle Pfieffer's performance as Catwoman in BR was near perfect, the way the character was written (as with Penguin) was just completely off.

Burton implied heavily that Catwoman had super-powers (which she doesn't at all in the comics) and she was a crazy lady on the hunt for revenge against the person (well...eventually people) who killed her.

In the comics Selina is quite sane. There have been many different portrayals of her - but in all of them she has been a real "grey" area in terms of good/bad. In many instances, her and Batman have acted as allies only to turn against eachother or go off on seperate paths because of their different morals. In many instances, Batman has allowed Catwoman to go free when he should have arrested her.

If Nolan ever put her on film, there are many avenues he could take. He could take the rich socialite Selina who does it for the fun of it, he could take the Selina who grew up on the street and was a prostitute, or he could take the Selina who has a personal grudge against the mob (which is the most likely, I beleive).

Quote:
I understand this but at times it is hard to watch because you know that is not who he truely is. I like the conflict though.
It can be - and it can be hard to relate to him because he seems like such a jerk, but it only adds another dimension to the burden he has. Rather than facing the challenge of holding up one persona like most of these characters, Bruce has to try and sustain two of them. The only time he can ever be himself is when he's at home, or around the very few people who are close to him.

Quote:
Absolutely. I can't see any logic in taking a villain who's supposed to be the smartest and the strongest and turning him into a "pitbull" for another villain.

It makes no sense at all .

Old January 27th, 2008, 11:30 pm
Third Year

From what I've heard, The Joker applies the makeup once and then never takes it off again (Doesn't wash his hair either). As a result, it becomes nastier and more rotten as the film progresses.

I actually like this new take. I think it's interesting and adds to the overall insanity of the character - I mean, how nuts do you have to be to never wash off clown makeup and let it rot into your skin?

RIP Heath Ledger.

"Of a sane man there can be only one safe definition: he is man who can have tragedy in his heart and comedy in his head."
--G.K. Chesterton
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:52 am
Banned

So sad about Heath but his performance looks to be nothing short of Classic!!
I really like Christian Bale as Batman he really gives a great performance very gritty and realistic. I love the way Nolan directs the pictures so raw and tough.

Old March 21st, 2008, 6:06 pm
Curse Breaker

I guess I have Nicholson too much on the brain. I always think of the Joker as more polished--nuts, but with a sick sense of humor and a really inventive mind that lead to some really complex and intriguing face-offs with the Dark Knight. Maybe Nicholson's portrayal of Frank Costello in the recent "The Departed" might fit better--don't know, I'm not a comics buff. From what little I've seen of Ledger's Joker, he looks like an escapee from the institution that Ras Al Gul's boys infiltrated in the last film--it feels like mostly desperate mania and not a lot of panache.

MG is a potentially much stronger choice for a female lead. Too bad they didn't cast a Vicki Vale.

If they make a third or fourth film--I'd like to see the Catwoman as described in previous posts (either as the socialite who thrill-seeks, or better yet, as the gal with the grudge against the mob). I have no idea WHO would get cast in that role. Any suggestions?

With regard to Bane--as someone who is not now, nor has ever been a comics buff--I don't know what Bane is actually supposed to be. I will state that the horrible treatment his character got in Batman and Robin doesn't surprise me--I mean they stuck John Glover in a wimpy cackling role and that's a guy who did an excellent job playing "The Devil" a few years later on Brimstone.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old March 21st, 2008, 6:18 pm
Registered Animagus

Catwoman dies and is mysteriously brought back via some cats (with little to no explanation as far as I know) in Returns (I haven't read the comic books). Hardly fits with the Begins-universe, I think.

Bane (having only seen The Batman and Batman and Robin, which is the only movie I've ever fallen asleep in the theatre), I'm not sure on. Performance enhancing drugs fit, but how do you get the brainless thug from B&R out of people's heads and stay away from the standard superstrong Rhino-esque thug?

I'd like to see the Penguin and Riddler, though, frankly, you've got another Ledger/Nicholson issue, cause I think De Vito and Carrey's performances as thier characters are sublime.

And it's good to hear that Robin will not appear, Chris O'Donnell is rubbish as the guy.

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Old March 21st, 2008, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordmundt6 View Post
With regard to Bane--as someone who is not now, nor has ever been a comics buff--I don't know what Bane is actually supposed to be.
In comics continuity, Bane is the best and brightest. A genius driven a bit batty by Venom, he is the only one to beat Batman. Thus the whole tedious Knightfalls story arc.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old March 22nd, 2008, 3:45 pm
Curse Breaker

Ah, he's great--but he sucks the life out of comics--wonderful.

I think you could do straight-up Penguin and Two-Face and not run into Nicholson-esque problems. DeVito did a good job with what they asked him to do, but--as already stated, his Penguin and the Penguin in other continua look nothing alike.

The cat-resurrection thing seems to be Tim Burton's brainchild and they could just ignore it if they got an actress to give her all to the role as portrayed in a different arc.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old March 25th, 2008, 1:05 am
Banned

Just gotta say one thing Heath Ledger's(R. I. P. I loved him)Joker laugh is like Nicholson's. I think he's gonna make a good Joker. Me and my dad are gona go see it in July. I think Christian Bale is a great actor and an awsome batman. Who knew he's actually british because he doesn't have the accent.

Last edited by PureBloodGirl; May 4th, 2008 at 10:07 pm.
Old April 6th, 2008, 10:58 pm
Second Year

This Looks Like An Awsome Movie Can't Wait For It To Come Out, It's Really Sad This Had To Be Heath Ledger's Last Movie I Really Liked Him As Actor And His Death Was So Sad But He Will Always Be Remebered In Everyone Heart

Old May 4th, 2008, 9:51 pm
First Year

This will be the best movie of the year.

Old May 4th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_The_Batman View Post
Yea maybe... but I tend to think that it will be one of the best coming out this year. There are quite a few good movies coming out this year. It's going to be one busy movie season this year .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:05 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Am_The_Batman View Post
Oh yeah!! It could even be better than HBP, but we will have to wait and see. I wonder if the Dark Knight is going to be better than the first Batman Begins movie. I have to say though Heath Ledger looks like he made a lot better of a Joker than the original Joker in the Batman movies that I think Tim Burton directed.

Old May 4th, 2008, 10:13 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
Oh yeah!! It could even be better than HBP, but we will have to wait and see. I wonder if the Dark Knight is going to be better than the first Batman Begins movie. I have to say though Heath Ledger looks like he made a lot better of a Joker than the original Joker in the Batman movies that I think Tim Burton directed.
He may have, but it's a wait and see type thing for me. Jack Nicholson did one heck of a job playing the Joker... but I'm sure that Heath did a good job continuing the legend though.

Also, I just saw the new trailer for it... it was just incredible, it gave me chills!

Why So Serious trailer

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; May 5th, 2008 at 8:48 pm.
Old May 5th, 2008, 9:31 pm

Well, I thought that Burton and Nicholson both directed and played the joker too broadly. Like most Burton efforts it went way overboard. I'm looking forward to the Dark Knight as serious approach.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion