Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Writer's Block

Old March 27th, 2012, 12:30 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Writer's Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker07 View Post
Thanks for your help! I'll try using that. About the physically hurting part, well I kind of wanted it to be like - you know how in books the person would be like it felt like they slapped me (in response to whatever the person said). I wanted it to be like that. Like it felt like a blow to the stomach, but not literally. Does that make sense? Oh and the running away part, she will be gone for like a couple of hours, but then her dad searches for her, and finds her with a friend eating ice cream at a diner. He takes her back home. Her dad wanted to move and now they are in like a week, but Maggie didn't want, so she threw a fit. And thats why she and her dad started fighting. Her mom doesn't really play apart in the story, she is powerless against her husband.
Glad to help. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2012, 5:07 pm
First Year

I just write like there is no tomorrow. Lock yourself in your room. Get a mini fridge, and write. Turn your favorite music up. Write the first things that come to mind. Like
Banana
turtle
Turnover
Chandelier
zipper
Automobile
Harry on
Pretty soon, that will get the creative juices flowing, and you can stop barricading yourself in and go for a bit of a jog to a park (With your notebook, of course.) and write. Fresh air after barricading is healthy.

Old May 29th, 2012, 5:21 pm
First Year

That is what I do too. I might also suggest aday off. Sometimes, there is a block in the creative river simply because it is tapped out. Go on a total binge, eat a whole lot of ice cream and have a HP marathon. You will not only replenish yourself, this would be a total stress-reliever.

Old July 17th, 2012, 5:19 am
First Year

Go for a long walk by yourself in a nursery or in the woods, somewhere quiet. Imagine that you are your character. (Even if you can't think of one, picture yourself in a story and just give a random name.) Imagine your character struggling from something. What are they thinking of? How do they feel? Run around a bit, too. Are they running from something or someone? Are they running away? This really will help spark an idea!

Old August 13th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Third Year

I love to read motivational quotes to keep me motivated.
"Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work."
~Gustave Flaubert

Also, listening to the right kind of music helps to get me in the mood to write.

Old September 29th, 2013, 5:41 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Working on a story for Spook Me, A Livejournal contest. Been running into some writer's block with it, both due to issues idea wise and rl getting in the way.

Idea under the spoiler tag...

Spoiler: show
I have to write an X-Files/Dragon(s) crossover story. Also have to work with a pair of tarot card prompts. Got the 5 of wands and the 6 of wands.

And for some reason one of the characters from the show, Diana Fowley (who is a dragon in her own right -_-) is butting her head in... Mainly due to the meaning of the 5 of wands.

So... I'm at a cross roads since this has to be a scary/spooky story. Do I go with the real dragons or do I go with ones that are more symbolic in nature or do I go with a combination of both? That's where the writer's block comes in O_o.

Got a basic idea... but it's a small mountain to climb.

Any help would be welcome.

Need to get this done before October 26th. That's the due date for this.

Thanks .

Update: Finally was able to break free of the writer's block... thanks to a random post over on Playstation's forums. Someone was trying to go past the post character limit on the post... and I tried to do the same and it ended up helping me to start writing the story .

What I've come up with so far...

Spoiler: show
Prologue

Today is the first day of the rest of my life. The time of staying in one place has come and gone, and it’s time for me to move on, and if that includes looking back at what Mulder and I have been through, then so be it. I am not afraid to stare that part of our lives in the eye and be able to learn from it and grow. No matter what we’ve been through we’ve been able to move forward with grace and dignity. Whether it was real or imagined, they’ve helped to guide us and shape us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dawn was breaking as she shifted the boxes trying to find what she was looking for. She didn’t know what to look for but she was certain that it was an item or items that might help her make a difference and make her relationship with Mulder stronger again.

So many memories, her and Mulder in the basement office meeting for the first time (“Was I really that young and naÔve…” She mused to herself, as she continued to go through the boxes.), the both of them in that house in the Arcadia village. She loved to look at that one, even though they weren’t a couple then, it was nice seeing the contrast between then and now. Knowing now that they knew each other completely, faults and all, but there was still a sadness seeing them drift apart. They weren’t planning on separating, but the stress of the day to day was getting to them both.

She continued to search through the boxes, trying to find whatever she could that might help her. A picture in the corner of one the boxes shown in the dim light and she moved over and picked it up. It was a picture of her and Mulder in front of a large cavern. She had forgotten about that little adventure. It happened so long ago. But something was tugging at her to try and remember what had happened back then.

All she remembered were fragments, snatches of conversations... and something about a dragon. Laughing at the thought, she tried her best to recall some more. One thing she was sure of was the fact that she adamantly refused to believe that any such creatures existed. But after what she and Mulder went through, she wasn't quite so sure. And especially now, after all this time, she was sure that things weren't always as they seemed.

Sure, she was still skeptical, but Mulder helped her to see that there was usually more than one side to a situation and that it's always good to keep an open mind. And coming across a living, breathing dragon definitely qualified as one of those moments.

She went back to the main part of the house with that box full of memories from that point of time to see if she could remember some more. Mulder came up to her and asked what she was doing... and all she could say was "I'm just trying to figure out something..." He looked at her perplexed, and asked her if there was anything he could do that could help, and she said not really.

"Are you sure, Scully?", he said to her as she went into the living room and sat down on the couch. "Yes I am, Mulder, but thanks for asking.", she said back to him in reply. She continued to look through the box for further evidence of this adventure, of this mystery. It was starting to get late, once she came across another object. A circular object, one that showed a jade dragon holding its tail in its teeth.

It had the phrase, "Si abeo cupio cupere cupiensentis abdodidi capto ab aenigmaatis praeter quam, abeo fio fieri factus sum aspectus memoria adeo abeo contueor. Incoho etiamtum arbitratus ab veritas ab cognitusa," inscribed on it. She remembered only the barest of Latin from College and got the phrase, "If you wish to seek the mystery beyond, you must look past what you see. Only then will the truth be known."

This only made her want to know more about this point in time. She was beyond just basic curiosity now, and nothing was going to stop her from finding out just what happened and why she was being drawn to this so strongly and how it related to the situation between her and Mulder.

She went to sleep thinking about what she had come across...

** Flashback **

Somewhere in the mid-90's...

"Scully, are you ready to go on that trip I told you about?", Mulder said to her over the loud whirring of the office's air conditioner. "What trip, Mulder? I seem to recall you going on about some cave of some sort that you wanted to go and explore. That doesn't seem to be much of trip to me, so much as a fishing expedition."

"It's not a fishing expedition, Scully. It's a search for the one creature that mankind doesn't think exists. Dragons."

"They don't exist, Mulder. They're a part of legends and tales. That's all."

"Believe what you want to believe, Scully. But they seem real enough to me. And I think we have a good chance of at least finding evidence that they might have existed at one point of time or another."

She laughed at the comment.

"Mulder, if whatever creature we do come across, if we do come across any, sounds like you do while taking a nap, then we can say that dragons do exist."

"Are you calling me a dragon, Scully?", he said to her with an incredulous look on his face.

"Maybe...", she said with a small smile on her face.

He looked at her and wondered if they were ever going to get going. She looked back and said "As soon as Skinner shows up with the rest of the data we need, we'll be on our way."

"That's good, Scully. Hopefully he'll show up, soon. It's starting to get rather late and I don't want us to be late catching our flight."

There was a knock on the door. "Here's the data, Agent Scully. The FBI isn't sanctioning this little trip. But since it's for a good cause, I'll let it slide." AD Skinner said to her, while looking at Mulder. "Just make sure to be back by Monday, or it'll be both of your hides, not to mention mine, on a platter."

"Yes, sir. Mulder and I will be back by then.", she said back to him, while giving Mulder a look. "No detours, Mulder... do you understand?" "No stopping by obscure tourist attractions, weird museums and that kind of thing. Our point is to get to the cave and back, nothing else."

"I get it, Scully. But what he doesn't know, won't hurt him.", he said to her with a wink. "There's plenty of time to do that on the way back.", he said to her, while gathering up some maps.

They went out of the FBI building and to their car (Good old Lariat rental cars!), and started off on their journey to Edmonson County, Kentucky, to go and search Mammoth Cave. Mulder had managed to get permission from the national park there to be able to search for the mysterious dragon that had supposedly been living there for thousands of years, undisturbed.

The trip was uneventful, with Mulder trying to sing random songs from the radio. Not that I didn't try my best to do the same either. We were both getting a little stir crazy in the car, since it was such a long trip. So understandably, we were trying to do our best to stay sane and not bite each others heads off.

We stop to have a bite to eat at the local diner, "The Eat and Slurp", "Classy name...", Mulder remarked, as we walked into it. We sat down and waited to order. The waitress was a plain looking woman, named Diana F., she looked familar somehow, like we'd known her from somewhere, but couldn't quite place her. "What'll you two order? We have the tofurkey on special, along with turkey on rye..."

"Hmm, the salmon and salad looks really nice. I think I'll order some of that.", Scully said to the waitress. "And you, sir?", the waitress asked Mulder. "The tofurkey sounds really nice, I think I'll go with an order of that along with a side of your homemade fries.", Mulder said to her.

"Ok, both of your orders will be out soon.", the waitress said back to them.

She walked away and Mulder started to look around the diner. "Scully, this place reminds me of restaurants that I went to with my family when I was kid. It even has a jukebox. I wonder if it still works..." He said that as he got up to go over and try it out. He put some money in the jukebox and picked out a song...

"Bullfrog went dancing and singing one night,
came home and found a letter... it said that he
was destined to be a brave knight..."

The song played over the many talking people in the diner and Mulder went back and sat down with Scully to wait for their respective meals.

"Who is that song by?", Scully asked him. "It's by The Rhythm Tones.", he said back to her. "I've never heard of them before, Mulder. How did you find out about them?" "My parents used to listen to them, Scully. Not to mention the name of the group is by the song itself in the jukebox."

"Ah. Forgot about that, Mulder. It's been a long time since I've seen one of those." "Oh. Maybe we should have one installed in the downstairs office then.", he joked back to her with a grin.

It's still a work in progress, but it's coming along pretty good .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; October 6th, 2013 at 9:54 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner