Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Writer's Block

Old June 29th, 2011, 7:33 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Re: Writer's Block

My problem with writers block is just getting from one page to the next. It's not a lack of ideas, it's a lack of knowing how to get to the next idea. I just write. Write five sentences. Write crappy stuff. Just get there. Skip the transition. Write the scenes I can write and then go back and connect everything. I had a teacher once tell us to stop writing at the good part, in other words, don't go until you've run yourself dry. Stop at interesting point so when you come back you can pick up easier and you'll want to come back. I'm not sure how good advice that is, but it's something to think about.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2011, 7:30 am
Registered Animagus

I cranked out 3500 words today in two sessions. If I worried about how to get from Point A to Point B, it was for a fleeting moment only.

Since I learned that it was a matter of confidence and trust, I haven't had a problem. Do I write the greatest books in the world? No, and I probably never will. I'm hopelessly addicted to adverbs for one thing. But I tell one heck of a story because I have confidence in myself and I trust my characters to know what to do.

My first book was easy because I didn't know what I was doing. I just sat down to write for fun. When I got to my second book, I knew there were a lot of people that had read the first one and were waiting for the second one. The pressure was on and I didn't know if I had another book in me. Took me a year to write that one, although partly in my defense, it's 400 pages long.

Then I started writing novelettes which helped take the pressure off and gave me the confidence I needed. Now I write five or six days a week and almost always hit my goal of 2K.

Like Inigo Imago said, "Writing straight through a mental block is an incredibly exhilarating experience. "

Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:53 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
My problem with writers block is just getting from one page to the next. It's not a lack of ideas, it's a lack of knowing how to get to the next idea. I just write. Write five sentences. Write crappy stuff. Just get there. Skip the transition. Write the scenes I can write and then go back and connect everything. I had a teacher once tell us to stop writing at the good part, in other words, don't go until you've run yourself dry. Stop at interesting point so when you come back you can pick up easier and you'll want to come back. I'm not sure how good advice that is, but it's something to think about.
What an interesting idea, that by your teacher. I'll have to try that.
I tackle writer's block much in the same way. Stopping is never a good solution, because that means you start to doubt your abilities - and as the commenter before me said - confidence is really a key point of writing. I need to believe I can at least be adequate. Also realise I haven't got the chops as those of Rowling - that would be very illogical for a 17-year-old to assume.
Very likely: I'll never will.
I press through the block, the lines, as walking through dense snow.
It has also helped for me to read when I found myself stuck. Walking may also help, although this - I have to say - has enabled fumes to evaporate from my nostrils at the arrival homes at certain times, as it then feels even more impossible; the frustration has deepened, towards that assignment I was supposed to write.

”Chosing to live in narrow spaces leads to a form of mental agrophobia, and that brings its own terrors. I think the willfully unimaginative see more monsters; they are often more afraid. Those who choose not to empathy enable real monsters, for without ever committing an act of outright evil ourselves, we collude with it through our own apathy".
- J.K. Rowling
Old July 7th, 2011, 4:15 am
Registered Animagus

Contrary to my own advice, I'm overthinking. Somebody smack me upside the head.

Old July 7th, 2011, 4:55 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
Contrary to my own advice, I'm overthinking. Somebody smack me upside the head.
/SMACK!

Desraelda, perhaps it's time you go back and read some of your previous posts. Hmm?

Lock your inner overthinking, obnoxiousness editor in a separate room.

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Old July 8th, 2011, 4:01 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Imago View Post
/SMACK!

Desraelda, perhaps it's time you go back and read some of your previous posts. Hmm?

Lock your inner overthinking, obnoxiousness editor in a separate room.
Thanks for the smack. It worked. Took my netbook (Ginny) out to one of my favorite writing places, fired her up, and put my fingers on the keys. 3100 words and really advanced the storyline.

Thanks again. I feel much better now. Writing time!!

Old July 8th, 2011, 6:24 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
Thanks for the smack. It worked. Took my netbook (Ginny) out to one of my favorite writing places, fired her up, and put my fingers on the keys. 3100 words and really advanced the storyline.

Thanks again. I feel much better now. Writing time!!
Awesome! Power on!

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Old July 8th, 2011, 8:14 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

You named your netbook Ginny!

When I'm having a hard time sometimes I just change the way I write. I'll move from a notebook to computer or from the computer to a notebook or to writing on my computer (I have a Lenovo tablet). It helps get the juices flowing in a different way.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old July 9th, 2011, 4:29 am
Registered Animagus

Ginevra Molly Weasley to be exact. My desktop is Fred, my old laptop is George, and my new laptop is Charlie. My car is Molly.

When I find a kitty to adopt, she/he will be named Weasley.

Obsess much, Des?

But Ginny has been good to me. I write on her exclusively. Remember that Ginny Weasley Potter eventually became a sports reporter for The Daily Prophet. Success is inevitable.

Old March 7th, 2012, 3:05 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Neil Gaiman on writer's block.

Quote:
Blaming “Writer’s Block” is wonderful. It removes any responsibility from the person with the “block”. It gives you something to blame, and it sounds fancy.

But it’s probably more honest to think of it as a combination of laziness, perfectionism and Getting Stuck. If you’re being lazy, don’t be. If you’re being a perfectionist, don’t be. And if you’re stuck, figure out where the story went off the rails, or what you got wrong, or where you need to go deeper, or what you need to add to make it work, and then start writing again.

http://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/post/1...e-reblogged-on

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old March 7th, 2012, 7:30 am
Sixth Year

I would agree with the above. I had to do creative writing assignments for varsity, and as tired and annoyed as I was, I was able to graft my way through it.

Old March 8th, 2012, 8:55 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I try to figure out clearly what's causing the block. It's usually a plot point or character dynamic that isn't working. If not, then I set the project in question aside and do something else until inspiration strikes me, which it always does, or I simply abandon the project and accept that it was a dead end.

Old March 8th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Seventh Year

I've been suffering a massive block on a fanfic on and off for... about five years

It's a combination of knowing I have a good idea and not wanting to abandon it, overthinking the plotting or chatacters, being sucked into fun side projects (my worst one being wanting to draw a complete map of all of hogwarts which has recently reared its ugly head again ), being employed in a full time job which means all writing has to take place in my "off time" and that sucks cause I have necesary things to do like eating and showering and socializing with the real world, and sheer laziness.

I've been thinking lately that I should abandon the "novel" approach (as in writing a novel-length fic) and moving more toward a mini-series approach with each episode being smaller and finite but with each one intrisically leading to the events in next.

I have also found that externally imposed deadlines get me going - if I tell myself I'll write 10,000 in a week or something I'll blow it off because I'm not holding myself accountable. If someone else is expecting those 10,000 at the end of the week I'm more likely to write them.

Old March 11th, 2012, 11:08 pm
First Year

I write, and I will be on a great writing streak. Then I'll get to a point and completely block. The one I'm working on now hasn't been touched in 3 months. I just froze. Now what?

Old March 15th, 2012, 2:08 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animagus86 View Post
I write, and I will be on a great writing streak. Then I'll get to a point and completely block. The one I'm working on now hasn't been touched in 3 months. I just froze. Now what?
Read the last bit you wrote so you can familiarize yourself with where you left off. Then sit down and start writing something, anything. Could be the preamble to the constitution or a favorite movie line. Just get your fingers moving.

When you get back into the story, keep going. It doesn't matter if what you're writing is garbage. That's what first drafts are for.

Whenever I write the first 500 words are the hardest. The next 500 come easier and the final 1000 seem to pour onto the page/screen. I try to write 2K a day and I can usually do it in two hours.

It's just a matter of sitting down and doing it.

Old March 15th, 2012, 3:27 pm
Malum Veneficus

I kind of like these tips by John Stienback, especially where he says that Rewriting is an excuse for not going on. That's what I do when I get bored; I go back to revise and rewrite what I've just written. That way it feels that I'm not abandoning my writing, even though I'm, by no means, doing much progress.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old March 16th, 2012, 1:03 am
First Year

Both of you gave some pretty good advice. At this point I'm willing to try anything. I also read the tips, and those are pretty useful. I don't know why I didn't think to try any of this before. Maybe I was to flustered with being stuck.

Old March 26th, 2012, 2:09 am
First Year

I need some help because I'm having major writers block. In my book the dad told Maggie (his daughter/ the main character/ the narrator) to be better and more like her (younger) sister (who died). He kind of told her to go die and bring her sister back, because he thinks it was Maggie's fault that her sister died. Now I need something really horrible for Maggie to say back to her father, and right after she says it, she's going to run away. It needs to hurt her dad physically and emotionally, but more emotionally. I cant really continue until I have that piece. Please help!

Old March 26th, 2012, 3:58 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker07 View Post
I need some help because I'm having major writers block. In my book the dad told Maggie (his daughter/ the main character/ the narrator) to be better and more like her (younger) sister (who died). He kind of told her to go die and bring her sister back, because he thinks it was Maggie's fault that her sister died. Now I need something really horrible for Maggie to say back to her father, and right after she says it, she's going to run away. It needs to hurt her dad physically and emotionally, but more emotionally. I cant really continue until I have that piece. Please help!
How can what she says hurt him physically unless it's going to give him a heart attack or a stroke?

Maybe you don't have that piece because it's acting out of character for Maggie. You need to absorb the terrible thing her father said to her and then blast all that emotion back on to the page.

"I'm leaving and I won't be back until you're dead!"

Old March 26th, 2012, 7:32 pm
First Year

Thanks for your help! I'll try using that. About the physically hurting part, well I kind of wanted it to be like - you know how in books the person would be like it felt like they slapped me (in response to whatever the person said). I wanted it to be like that. Like it felt like a blow to the stomach, but not literally. Does that make sense? Oh and the running away part, she will be gone for like a couple of hours, but then her dad searches for her, and finds her with a friend eating ice cream at a diner. He takes her back home. Her dad wanted to move and now they are in like a week, but Maggie didn't want, so she threw a fit. And thats why she and her dad started fighting. Her mom doesn't really play apart in the story, she is powerless against her husband.

Last edited by Seeker07; March 26th, 2012 at 7:37 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner