Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Writer's Block

Old February 7th, 2009, 6:18 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Re: Writer's Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I never got the whole show, don't tell thing. I know it means detail, but in the end, you're still telling
The best example I've had demonstrated was Annie's manic depression in Misery. Telling would have been saying that Annie was in the depressive phase, showing was having a dishevelled Annie bite the head off a rat.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2009, 7:32 pm
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

^Good answer. Although I haven't read Misery, Stephen King always does a great job at putting you inside his characters' heads, whether you want to be there or not.

Voldy, think of it this way: Don't describe emotions in simple language. "He was depressed." Show the sorts of things your character does when he's depressed - eating TV dinners every night, forgetting appointments, sleeping more often than usual. Y'know, stuff like that. The reader will understand that your character is depressed without you using that word.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old February 10th, 2009, 1:17 am
Second Year

When I go for a walk or go to the park that really clears my mind and gives me good ideas!!

So go for a walk. It helps a lot!!

Poor iphone...

"Feel the fear and do it anyway because even though it's not too late now, someday it will be."
Old April 29th, 2009, 6:50 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMissPadfoot View Post
I seem to find myself struggling with Writer's Block on a regular basis - and I really cannot think of a way to combat it.

Anyone have any tips?
Write something. ANYTHING. This is a tip someone gave me for getting started in college term papers (of all things) and it works great for me.

When really stuck, I might start with writing how annoying it is to have writer's block, how stupid the story I;m writing has gotten and how stuck I am at figuring out what character X is going to do next, etc. Often, I find the writing starts to flow into something that might actually turn out to be usable. (Once you delete the early stuff that just got you going...)

“Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.”-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.
Old May 1st, 2009, 5:25 am
Assistant to Professor Snape/Trapdoor Champion

Whenever I am stuck with writer's bloack, I try writing something entirely disconnected from it and eventually an idea strikes me. Sometimes, I skip a future chapters ahead and leave the intermediate chapters where I am having a problem. This helps in development of plot and helps get rid of writer's block.

I cried, when I saw the "It all ends!" banner!!

But now I know, it never will....
Old July 11th, 2009, 10:37 pm
First Year

Have any ideas for stories?

I absolutly love writing and spend most of time doing it, but for quite a few now I've been suffering from intense writers block....if you have any ideas for me please let me know. Thanks!

Old November 5th, 2009, 3:45 pm
Sixth Year

Writer's block?

Toss everything into the bin (If you're using a laptop or PC, don't do that. Just shut them down) and go for a long walk. You can walk anywhere, the park, the mall, the subway station, or just to the shop nearby. The point is, you're letting go of everything. When you let yourself go, your muse will find you, and will rekindle the creative juice in you.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)

Last edited by MC2456; November 5th, 2009 at 3:49 pm.
Old March 24th, 2011, 2:21 am
Second Year

Re: Have any ideas for stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrose13 View Post
I absolutly love writing and spend most of time doing it, but for quite a few now I've been suffering from intense writers block....if you have any ideas for me please let me know. Thanks!
Here are some things I might do. Give them a shot if you'd like:

Read some Shakespeare. This way, I can take some of those age-old stories and let my creativity shine through creating a completely new story revolving around similar themes.

In improv classes, I like to have actors begin in the middle of a scene, rather than waste time with the introductions. Start with a character asking a question or stating a strong point of view.

Also, an exercise called growing and stretching. If you've already begun a story, read it to another person. Have them pick a gesture for "go on with the story" and a gesture for "elaborate on that, give me more details." Then you can have a sense of where your listener/reader wants you to give more plot, or add on with more details. You'd be surprised how much detail you might be leaving out that could lead you further in your story!

Last edited by improvkari; March 24th, 2011 at 2:25 am.
Old April 9th, 2011, 4:00 am
Registered Animagus

I put my hands on the keyboard and start typing that old standby,

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party.

Before I'm through, I'm starting to type in the next scene and I'm rolling along. The idea is to relax and let go of the fear. That's all writer's block is.

Old April 9th, 2011, 11:24 pm
Fourth Year

I found that it can sometimes help to switch to writing in a notebook if I'm trying to write on the computer, and vice versa. It must be something in the change of environment that helps but I don't know what. If I find that I'm going off on a tangent and that's why I'm stuck, I'll go back and just delete a paragraph or two and start again trying to focus more.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old May 2nd, 2011, 3:24 am
Third Year

The best thing for me is to just stop everything and just wait. Don't think about what you're writing, just go through the day and at night, relax and come back to your story. I have gotten a lot of ideas from relaxing in bed and letting my mind wander. From that point, just write down anything that comes to mind. You could also write about other ideas for stories and future things you might be planning. The most important thing is to let ideas come to you, don't go after them. And don't stress over a writer's block because that isn't fun.

*Nikky wanted a mention*
Old May 22nd, 2011, 2:43 am
First Year

Some of the ideas here for combating Writer's Block are good -- go for a walk, read, do something else. I do all of these as well. Going for a walk is the best, I think. In general, exercise of any kind is a good thing to do when the words don't come. I also use a change of scenery. For instance, most times these four walls here aren't very inspiring, and I believe Writer's Block lives here. Getting in the open, maybe even where others can see you, it makes writing -- a word, then a sentence, then a paragraph -- easier.

Some of the ideas written here I don't necessarily agree with. Someone said to just wait it out. This might work for some people, but I think waiting on it to pass may take some time. The best way is to write your way through it, because, I've found, Writer's Block originates from fear. We writers, especially younger writers, are often paralyzed by fear. Fear quickly becomes Writer's Block. So write through it. Write something, write anything. Just write.

- Brian

"Give yourself time to get better. Writing is really hard to master. You learn by failing over and over, but a lot of people don't care for that, thanks. I always wish new writers the greatest good fortune. It's a helluva journey--I'll tell you that."
--SUE GRAFTON

http://ggtd.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/423598896-6a3616dd82-o.jpg
Old May 23rd, 2011, 8:20 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Writer View Post
Some of the ideas here for combating Writer's Block are good -- go for a walk, read, do something else. I do all of these as well. Going for a walk is the best, I think. In general, exercise of any kind is a good thing to do when the words don't come. I also use a change of scenery. For instance, most times these four walls here aren't very inspiring, and I believe Writer's Block lives here. Getting in the open, maybe even where others can see you, it makes writing -- a word, then a sentence, then a paragraph -- easier.

Absolutely agree. At home there's the Internet, the TV, the phone. I can work where there's noise like McD's or the park or where it's quiet like the Library. People noise doesn't distract me, but those other things do. If I stop for even a minute at home, the next thing you know, I'm fixing a snack, getting a drink, doing research that I should just placemark and forget until I've reached my writegoal for the day.

Quote:
Some of the ideas written here I don't necessarily agree with. Someone said to just wait it out. This might work for some people, but I think waiting on it to pass may take some time. The best way is to write your way through it, because, I've found, Writer's Block originates from fear. We writers, especially younger writers, are often paralyzed by fear. Fear quickly becomes Writer's Block. So write through it. Write something, write anything. Just write.

- Brian
Yes, I agree it's nothing but fear. I start typing that old typewriter manual phrase ... Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their party ... and before I'm even halfway through, my fingers are back to telling the story.

When people tell me they have an idea for a book but don't know how to get started, I tell them to start with Once upon a time and then just keep typing. The words will come. Even if they're not the right words, the right words will arrive at editing time.

Old May 30th, 2011, 11:57 pm
Second Year

Whenever I'm absolutely out of ideas, I either a) Take a walk, because just walking around observing stuff can spark the little embers in my brain, or b) Call a few of my friends. I seem to have good luck with having funny/interesting phone conversations & a lot of the time they help me come up with ideas without even trying. I've only actually asked my friends for a little inspiration once or twice, because usually getting in depth in conversation with them gives me some little ideas.

Old June 24th, 2011, 5:43 am
Third Year

For me, writer's block has always been a manifestation of my extreme need for perfection. I can't stand putting something down on paper that doesn't sound *just* right. You know what I'm talking about. You fear that your next sentence will suddenly derail the perfect prose you've worked so hard to maintain.

Well... stop it.

Here's an idea to help push that perfection away: If you hit a point in your story where you just can't push forward, have a bear walk into the scene (or some other creature of your choosing). Now, all of your characters MUST react to the new intrusion. What would they say? How would they act? Instead of a bear, what if it was a cute bunny? Would one of your characters try to go give it a carrot? Would a different character shoot it with a gun/bow/laser pistol? If the bunny was killed, how would the other characters react to the character that did the killing?

Push away the perfectionist and just put words to paper. Stop reading your sentences immediately after you have written them. Wait to make tweaks until AFTER the chapter/novel is finished. Guess what? You can always delete those bears/bunnies afterwards! The key to writing is to write. Editing comes long after the writing is complete.

If you must gag your inner editor and lock them in the room down the hall, do it. Ignore what you've already written and just let the randomness flow from your fingertips until you stumble on the next plot gem.

Best of luck!

- Inigo

EDIT: While I'm not trying to step on any toes by saying this, I actually disagree with the suggestions to watch a movie/call a friend/take a walk/etc., because all of those things take you away from the story. The key isn't to get far enough away so you can see the bigger picture, it's to get so deep into your story that you forget there is a bigger picture. Stop beating yourself over the details, stop worrying about how you'll transition to the next chapter. As long as you keep your fingers moving, you will eventually find yourself out of the slump.

Another great tip is to time yourself--write X words in X minutes. Focus on the quantity of words instead of the quality of your sentences. Trust me, if you're dedicated to the process, you will find yourself back on track in no time.

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.

Last edited by Inigo Imago; June 24th, 2011 at 5:52 am.
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:14 pm
First Year

theres some really good tips in here i am a long tim reader of fan fiction.. not yet published writer yet.. as i either dont like it enough to post it anywere, i or cant finish the ones i love.. hopefully i will be anle to now from all the tips ive read

Old June 27th, 2011, 2:35 am
Registered Animagus

I absolutely agree with you, Inigo. I set a time and place to write every day with a goal of 2K words in 2 hours. I put my fingers to the keys and start typing. I might read the previous couple of paragraphs first just to get back into the mood of the scene, but mostly I just start typing.

If I can't think of anything else, and I only give myself a minute to think of something, I'll start with Now is the time. My fingers take over the story before I finish that phrase.

Old June 29th, 2011, 8:37 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desraelda View Post
I absolutely agree with you, Inigo. I set a time and place to write every day with a goal of 2K words in 2 hours. I put my fingers to the keys and start typing. I might read the previous couple of paragraphs first just to get back into the mood of the scene, but mostly I just start typing.

If I can't think of anything else, and I only give myself a minute to think of something, I'll start with Now is the time. My fingers take over the story before I finish that phrase.
This is honestly the best possible way to break past a block. It's incredible to think what our minds have managed to fill in just when we thought the story had no place to go. I've had moments where I hit a snag and considered taking a break to "mull it over." However, if I had taken a break in that instance, I never would have realized my character felt that particular emotion, or that a secret passageway was hidden in that dark corner of the library, or that a band of thieves was hot on the trail of my oblivious hero.

When your fingers aren't on the keyboard and you think of an idea, you may have the chance to write it down or plan a place for it in the story, but you have also given your inner editor the ability to start overthinking the plot line and perfecting what doesn't yet need to be perfected. Writing straight through a mental block is an incredibly exhilarating experience.

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Old June 29th, 2011, 4:36 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

I recently emerged from a long period of writer's block by going back to things I'd started and abandoned and taking a very different approach to them. In one case, I tried changing the gender and age of the characters, and it made me reassess their relationship in a way which really moved the plot forward. In another case, recasting an old short story idea as a play helped me move it forward.

I've also found googling writing competitions has helped - if I know I've got a focus and a deadline, it gets me motivated!

Old June 29th, 2011, 4:52 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
I've also found googling writing competitions has helped - if I know I've got a focus and a deadline, it gets me motivated!

Absolutely. I find it very discouraging not have a deadline, especially during my college days. Holidays, on the other hand, give me the perfect opportunity when I decide I have to finish this much or that much by the time the holidays are over. Works very well.

I haven't tried any writing competitions yet, though now I might. My grandfather has this collection of old essay books and short stories which I often go through. Short stories are the best way to get you ideas. Writing a gripping story in a few sheets is possibly the hardest task for any writer. I have tried my hand at a few short stories, with little to minimal success. I guess, reading, reading and writing and writing is the only way to make yourself better.

Quote:
Mythology
Yes, one of my favorite places to search for ideas. The stories are captivating, the characters are interesting with each always having well defined strengths and weaknesses. Plus, being a fantasy writer, I have not found a better place to take ideas from. But as such, I refrain from whole ideas, but just tidbits fro and rest all is my own day dreaming landscapes.

Quote:
In one case, I tried changing the gender and age of the characters, and it made me reassess their relationship in a way which really moved the plot forward.

It takes a lot of courage to leave what you've written and change the gender and age of characters because the way the scripts and dialogues are expressed from a point of view of a certain character rises to a whole new level. I have always wanted to try it, but I'm too afraid to get lost in the transition. Instead, I try to fit in new and minor characters just for the sake of moving the plot. Might seem a little harsh on those characters, but I'm yet to find a solution to it. Maybe, I might after all, give this gender and age one try.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner